Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 20% deposit - is there any way around it for a 2nd property??

Options
  • 24-11-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi. Because of a change in job we need to sell our house and move. The thing is that it's been up for 3 months and even after a price drop, there is no sign of us selling it. It's not just us - plenty of others in the area have been up for sale for the same period of time and from where we have been looking at things seem to be stagnant as well.

We are becoming a bit desperate and in a nutshell, our house is values between €500 and €550k. We are looking at a property of similar value. So, I'm thinking about renting our current house.

And therein lies the problem - the 20% deposit! We have about €50k at the moment so are obviously way off the required amount. Is there any way around this if you are purchasing a 2nd home and there is obviously value and income coming from the first home? The outstanding mortgage is only about €70k.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Surely the houses are overvalued if they aren't selling?

Get rid of the house before buying again. This is what happened to a lot of people back in 07/08/09 they kept there first house and bought a second, then the crash came and they had to deal with the negative equity on both houses / job losses and not being able to pay both mortgages. They became the so called reluctant landlords.

The rules are there to try and protect people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Rackstar wrote: »
    Surely the houses are overvalued if they aren't selling?

Get rid of the house before buying again. This is what happened to a lot of people back in 07/08/09 they kept there first house and bought a second, then the crash came and they had to deal with the negative equity on both houses / job losses and not being able to pay both mortgages. They became the so called reluctant landlords.

The rules are there to try and protect people.

Protect them from themselves. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hi. Because of a change in job we need to sell our house and move. The thing is that it's been up for 3 months and even after a price drop, there is no sign of us selling it. It's not just us - plenty of others in the area have been up for sale for the same period of time and from where we have been looking at things seem to be stagnant as well.

We are becoming a bit desperate and in a nutshell, our house is values between €500 and €550k. We are looking at a property of similar value. So, I'm thinking about renting our current house.

And therein lies the problem - the 20% deposit! We have about €50k at the moment so are obviously way off the required amount. Is there any way around this if you are purchasing a 2nd home and there is obviously value and income coming from the first home? The outstanding mortgage is only about €70k.

Thanks!!

The 20% rule applies to all purchasers except first time buyers. So regardless of whether you keep your current home or not, you will still need the 20% deposit. Even if you were first time buyers, you would still need 20% over €220k.

However, you have a large amount of equity in the current house so if you sell it you could easily afford the other house on a small mortgage or even paying fully by way of cash.

If you want to keep both houses, and you have been warned against doing this above, then you could see if you could get an equity release or increase your mortgage on the first home and use that for the deposit on the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The 20% rule applies to all purchasers except first time buyers. So regardless of whether you keep your current home or not, you will still need the 20% deposit. Even if you were first time buyers, you would still need 20% over €220k.

However, you have a large amount of equity in the current house so if you sell it you could easily afford the other house on a small mortgage or even paying fully by way of cash.

If you want to keep both houses, and you have been warned against doing this above, then you could see if you could get an equity release or increase your mortgage on the first home and use that for the deposit on the second.

Will any bank be ok with them using a (albeit secured) loan to use as a deposit?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Saipanne wrote: »
    Will any bank be ok with them using a (albeit secured) loan to use as a deposit?

Don't see why not if they have a good savings record, a good income and a substantial other asset. The banks won't lend if a deposit is wholly a gift and will be cautious if the deposit comes from the sale of a previous property, but the latter, as far as I know, is a symptom of not having a good savings record rather than being a reason in itself to refuse to lend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Saipanne wrote: »

seriously doubt it. A loan for the extra deposit is just the lower deposit plus two loans (the mortgage and the additional loan) instead of one. It makes no sense.

If you have positive equity in the old house, you won't be able to use that until you free it up. However these 20% rules can sometimes have exceptions, have you talked to the bank?

It is strange you can't sell your house for what's it's valued at. The market has cooled a bit but there is still high demand. Are you sure the valuation is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Thanks!!

Don't forget someone has to have a 20% deposit (€100k) and an income of €400k / 3.5 (114k per annum) for the remainder if they are to buy your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

You have a large amount of equity in the house. If you really want to sell you could drop the asking price. A good value house will always sell.

Bank exemptions for 2015 to the new mortgages rules have been used up. A buyer for a house of €500k-€550k may need an exemption on deposit or income limits. In which case you have a better shot at selling in the new year.

Someone in the market for a house of that value is likely to have a house to sell in order to trade up. The stagnation may be happening at the €350k first time buyer level because of deposits.

The alternative is rent it out & move to the location of the new job and rent somewhere there yourselves. You have a large amount of equity to purchase a new house. Personally I would take this house off the market for the next five weeks. Put it back up in January priced to sell.

banks won't lend if a deposit is wholly a gift

I very much doubt that's true. They may be cautious if you come in with the bare minimum 10% deposit as a gift for a first time buyer but if you walk into a bank with a 30 or 40% deposit all as a gift and a good salary no bank is going to turn you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The thing is that it's been up for 3 months and even after a price drop, there is no sign of us selling it.

, our house is values between €500 and €550k.

Thanks!!
    A house is only worth what someone is willing to pay, clearly your house is not worth as much as you think it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Thanks!!

Must be a replica of your gaff in the states for that money.....

I very much doubt that's true. They may be cautious if you come in with the bare minimum 10% deposit as a gift for a first time buyer but if you walk into a bank with a 30 or 40% deposit all as a gift and a good salary no bank is going to turn you down.

If the deposit is wholly a gift there will be no history of savings so the applicant(s) will fail the stress test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

liam7831 wrote: »
    Must be a replica of your gaff in the states for that money.....

Hardly. It would be a 1 bed bungalow on a postage stamp in d4.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

As far as i'm aware you will have to come up with 30% for the 2nd house as thats the minimum for investors as you would be classed,new rules coming in from central bank every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Don't forget someone has to have a 20% deposit (€100k) and an income of €400k / 3.5 (114k per annum) for the remainder if they are to buy your house.

Not really - it's a 5 bed detached house so wouldn't exactly expect a 1st time buyer to be opting for it...

That's something I hadn't considered tbh. There would be no problem renting the house in the area that we live in because the rental demand is quite high and from looking around, the income would be twice the current monthly mortgage payment (8 years remaining). Obviously this would change with a re-mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

That's something I hadn't considered tbh. There would be no problem renting the house in the area that we live in because the rental demand is quite high and from looking around, the income would be twice the current monthly mortgage payment (8 years remaining). Obviously this would change with a re-mortgage.

Don't forget to factor in the income tax bill from the rental. With only 8 years left on your mortgage, you probably ain't paying a huge amount of interest so you won't have much to offset the bill.

In the same boat as yourself with house not attracting interest and even reducing the asking price to 100k below sold prices of other houses in the same estate 6 months ago, nothing happening. Estate agent doesn't know what to say to me any more. All the properties I'm interested in buying are keeping their price level but not selling either and CSO reports that property prices continue to rise!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The banks won't lend if a deposit is wholly a gift

They will. I got the maximum mortgage available to me based on my salary with the rest of the value (including deposit) gifted from my parents. I had to show the capability to save money for over 6 months and I explained that the reason I hadn't been saving enough money previously was because I was on a much lower wage until this past year, which they could see from my transaction history.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks!!

is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Penn wrote: »
    They will. I got the maximum mortgage available to me based on my salary with the rest of the value (including deposit) gifted from my parents. I had to show the capability to save money for over 6 months and I explained that the reason I hadn't been saving enough money previously was because I was on a much lower wage until this past year, which they could see from my transaction history.

you still had to show savings record

• Advertisement

adrian.s wrote: »
    Don't forget to factor in the income tax bill from the rental. With only 8 years left on your mortgage, you probably ain't paying a huge amount of interest so you won't have much to offset the bill.

In the same boat as yourself with house not attracting interest and even reducing the asking price to 100k below sold prices of other houses in the same estate 6 months ago, nothing happening. Estate agent doesn't know what to say to me any more. All the properties I'm interested in buying are keeping their price level but not selling either and CSO reports that property prices continue to rise!

100% exactly what we have witnessed Adrian, on both sides. I can only guess that it's first time buyers houses that are the one's that are keeping the CSO report rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

adrian.s wrote: »

I'd speculate the reason for this is it only takes into account average prices of property sold. This won't take into account all the houses out there that aren't selling at their perceived value. Right now most sellers are waiting to see what happens short term before dropping their prices.

That means the average house price sale is still high but less are happening, they will either drop in 6 months or sales will pick up. It's hard to tell. Right now the market is becoming toxic is some places. This means the most someone is willing to pay for something is still lower than the least someone is willing to sell it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

We just purchased a second house in Sep with only 10% deposit. We kept our first house and rented it out. The first mortgage is with a different bank altogether

Jen44 wrote: »
    We just purchased a second house in Sep with only 10% deposit. We kept our first house and rented it out. The first mortgage is with a different bank altogether

Do you mind letting me know who the lender was? PM me if you feel that's more appropriate.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And therein lies the problem - the 20% deposit! We have about €50k at the moment so are obviously way off the required amount.

Hmm, 20% of 250,000 = 50,000. Must be some gaff you're wanting to buy.

Why not just rent in the other location for a while, until your current house sells. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF houses are not selling at 500k,
    maybe they are worth 400k or less .
    house values change with the economy and also with lending practices by the banks .
    no one decides what house,s are worth,
    its due to demand,the economy and various factors .
    where people wish to live .

People mostly wish to live in urban area,s .

Maybe prices will go down in some area,s due to the 20 per cent deposit rule .if so that is how the market works .
    i would prefer that the banks are careful with lending ,
    than we get into another boom,bust cycle
    which ends up in the tax payer paying to clean up to keep the banks going.

A House is only worth what some one will pay ,maybe backed with with a loan from a bank .
    Preferably a bank that has lending policys not based on rising house values .

DO we want to go back to the time when banks would lend
    joe bloggs working in dunnes stores 150k, to buy a house in cavan ?

if no one is buying at price x maybe its not worth that price.

Of course it is only worth what someone will pay, but as someone in the exact same situation has already explained, the market appears to be completely stagnant.
    riclad wrote: »
    DO we want to go back to the time when banks would lend joe bloggs working in dunnes stores 150k, to buy a house in cavan ?

Did you even read the original post? There is only €80k outstanding on the mortgage and we have €50k in savings towards the deposit.

I also love the comparison with someone working in Dunnes Stores. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I thought that the banks had discretion to ignore the 20% deposit rule for a small percentage of mortgages?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Of course it is only worth what someone will pay, but as someone in the exact same situation has already explained, the market appears to be completely stagnant.

Did you even read the original post? There is only €80k outstanding on the mortgage and we have €50k in savings towards the deposit.

I also love the comparison with someone working in Dunnes Stores. Jesus wept.

I would have thought that, given your circumstances, you would be a good candidate for getting a second mortgage. (Good equity, good savings etc.)

Have you tried any banks yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Do you mind letting me know who the lender was? PM me if you feel that's more appropriate.

Thanks!

Its with KBC.

Advertisement