Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice needed from a former TEFL teacher!

• 24-11-2015 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guys unt gals,

First time posting here. On the job hunt in Ireland at the moment, and not having much joy. So much so, I'm looking at abroad but would like to do some research first.

I used to teach English in Italy years ago. I taught in Rome for 2 years.

I did TEFL as a subject in UL over 3 semesters. I would imagine that qualification is null and void at this stage as it was so long ago!

I have an undergrad degree and two post grad qualifications.

I suppose I'm looking at what I have and what I can, or could do, at this stage.

I was looking at some other threads and people were asking what the motives would be. Money, different culture, lifestyle etc.

As I said, I speak Italian (and French), but I don't think I'd be financially better off heading there.

Again, I'm not certain, only basing it on their economic situation currently.

That's besides the point. I am of the opinion I'd probably have to do another TEFL course but would that be dependent on where I'd like to go?

Is it difficult to secure a job before leaving Ireland? Say, in Europe, Japan, Korea etc?

Are there any good websites where I could look into this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Pretty easy to get a job sorted in Asia before heading out, but it would really depend on what you were looking for salary-wise.

I got my job sorted through TEFL.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CookieMon1

Hey. Also my first time posting here. Having difficulty with boards loading here. Might be a mixture of bad internet and censoring.

There are loads of places you can go to teach and doing a new tefl cert is really just your call. Best place to get ideas for work is DavesESLCafe. The international job board has a wide range to choose from. If you decide on a specific region or even country then there are more specific websites available.

Getting a job as you are and before you leave Ireland is probably best and should be quite easy. Best times to find work are January/Feb or May to July.

South east Asia is probably the easiest place to go right now and would also offer decent pay and quality of life. I personally would recommend Vietnam. There's a website called something like vietnamteachingjobs.com though I'm not certain.

you should be able to find work for approx. $1700 a month up to $2,500 a month. For maybe a 22 contact hour teaching week. If you like cities, Saigon is fun. If you would prefer pristine beaches, there are some jobs in Danang which is a short drive to Hoi An. Epic place. Also a decent 3 bed villa (not that you'd need that) would be about $700 a month.

Anyway I may have gotten off topic. Let me know if you need more info. Oh and you need to get documents stamped and so on as well as a police clearance cert before going to some places.

Good luck.

Advertisement