Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Wild Atlantic Way 2016

Options
  • 24-11-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Audax WAW website has been launched

http://waw-audax.com/

2100 KMs in 175hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Too tough for me, at least this year, but I can only imagine how great it feels to finish that.

Would you not at least have traveled from north to south to go down instead of up the map?

Good luck to all who do it and enjoy the feeling after you have finished it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fian wrote: »
    ....Would you not at least have traveled from north to south to go down instead of up the map?....
    Jesus, it'll be tough enough without dealing with a prevailing headwind also! It's generally easier to travel north. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Jesus, it'll be tough enough without dealing with a prevailing headwind also! It's generally easier to travel north. ;)

Generally speaking yes. I've done Mizen to Malin and a Fleche from Cork to Mullingar with northern breeze both times.

I'd imagine this will fill quickly, only 50 spaces.

There will be wind and rain aplenty! I'm in and according to site so are a good few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

I emailed Eamonn (Organiser) signing up.
    Although have never done an Audax event. Hope to do this one. On my bucket list for ages. Maxed cycled 330km in two days. But plan to get alot in b4 June.

daviddenis wrote: »
    I emailed Edward (Organiser) signing up.
    Although have never done an Audax event....
    :eek: Fair play to you

I've done plenty of Audax and quite a few 300+ rides but would baulk at doing this!

• Advertisement

@daviddenis fair play and best of luck.

While there is no guarantee any rider will finish I wouldn't be building it up as impossible either.

If smart with time management and disciplined with stops, controls, sleep and general d1cking around, there is a lot of low hanging fruit that is nothing to do with cycling. Other than getting as strong as possible on bike before June there is simple stuff that can help
    * a reliable bike
    * plan where your stopping, stop eat, toilet back on bike
    * At sleeping controls eat shower and sleep get back on bike
    * A dynamo light system will mean your back up lights probably won't need to be charged, less time wasted
    * know route, if on limit a wrong turn can break your heart, learn how to read route sheet, work garmin whatever
    * Figure out what food works best for you for 15hr days
    * have gear/clothing you know and trust
    * Do and couple of long days back to back to see that you can handle little sleep, fatigue etc

On bike
    * stay out of the red as much as possible
    * be as comfortable as possible on bike
    * learn to handle headwinds solo, head north today for 100km and see how you do! Being comfortable in drops helps
    * get mentally tougher; there is a bit in this but best advice in relation to 300km rides I got was "you will have a bad patch but you can ride through them, that is the key"
    * look up 2016 calendar and ride as many routes as you can while keep training clever
    * Ride a 200 or 2 solo

Talk to some of the experienced guys in Audax Ireland. Organiser of last Audax ride of year is planning to do WAW so do his audax spin on first weekend in December and talk to Marc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

A new site is up and the organizers are setting off this morning on a test ride. You can track them at

http://www.wawaudax.com/news

Good luck chaps!

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    A new site is up and the organizers are setting off this morning on a test ride. You can track them at

http://www.wawaudax.com/news

Good luck chaps!

3 lads still battling away up in wilds of Mayo.

They have been unlucky enough with wind but I suppose you can't complain when the weather which cut the landscape turns up when you cycle it☺

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I see the trial riders are in motion around Mayo at the minute for anyone who is interested:
    http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/wildatlanticwayaudax.cfm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Merged threads

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    3 lads still battling away up in wilds of Mayo.

They have been unlucky enough with wind but I suppose you can't complain when the weather which cut the landscape turns up when you cycle it☺

True. Two of them are well used to it though and the third is just loosening his legs for June and is impervious to any adverse weather conditions :)

Two have also dropped out. One had a crash, which although wasn't too serious, but thought it was best to heal up for the main event. The other had a bad stomach after day one and is doing the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hats off......to the three finishers last night.
    Seriously great achievement. 2100k in 7 days. Up and down stuff.
    Very heroic.

Tracking is now up and ready for the main event, next Friday. Good luck to flywheel, thebouldwhacker and ford2600 ! (and all the other riders)

http://www.wawaudax.com/news/live-tracking-is-now-ready

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

I'd love to cycle the Wild Atlantic Way when I finish school and college and everything. I will most likely be joining my college cycling club so that will help with the preparation for it. It will need both very good mental and physical health I would definitely imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Good luck to all participants who set off about two and a half hours ago.
    Sunny weather was a help.
    Bravo to 4 women who are competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

22% gradients Mamore Gap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Best of luck folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Impressive stuff so far. Leader has 640km done in under 33 hours while our own ford2600 has 600km done in 33hrs.

And they haven't even left Kerry yet!...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I see some guy is doing it on an ElliptiGO, you know the bike you run on?

11g110327185.jpg

Looks like the guys at the front will be skipping rest at the 600km mark and going straight for the Tarbert ferry (last one at 9:30 pm)

A bold move so early in the ride, but it will give them a time advantage. Will they be able to hang on to it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

A bold move so early in the ride, but it will give them a time advantage. Will they be able to hang on to it ?[/QUOTE]

Some seriously impressive cycling on display alright but knowing the man that is out front at the minute I wouldn't have any worries that he can.

Hager wrote: »
    Some seriously impressive cycling on display alright but knowing the man that is out front at the minute I wouldn't have any worries that he can

Definitely. He's very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hager wrote: »
    Some seriously impressive cycling on display alright but knowing the man that is out front at the minute I wouldn't have any worries that he can.

Personally I think riding the remaining 1700kms in a 2 man break may tell on them eventually, they'll want at least 10s per 10km coming into the final. :p

Really it comes down to sleep deprivation - who can go with least amount of rest whilst keeping moving.

Most will be riding ' full value ', but those that are looking to make their mark make it very exciting.

Edit. He's just crossed into Clare. The others seem to be staying at the control, too risky to try and make it before 9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

I know that it goes against the audax ethos slightly but you can't help but admire someone who can do a quick time.

Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    ..Edit. He's just crossed into Clare. The others seem to be staying at the control, too risky to try and make it before 9:30.
    He reached the control at 21.22. Resting now I presume as he hasn't moved for a few hours. Good man B!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Great to see the majority are sticking to the plan and probably each other. Great to have people to share the road/experiance/event with.

Looks to have roughly a 3-hour advantage. There'll be one or two sheltering in the main group waiting to reel him in. Gotta admire the mental fortitude on display here.

Thebouldwhacker and ford2600 are inching ahead, flywheel is steady in the main bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 PeggyO2016

>Looks to have roughly a 3-hour advantage. There'll be one or two sheltering in the main group waiting to reel him in. Gotta admire the mental fortitude on display here.

You make it sound like a race - Audax is not racing. What other riders are doing is irrelevant and if you're looking to 'beat' other riders, you haven't grasped the concept of Audax. Each finisher is treated the same once they finish within the allotted time. In fact, the slower riders are often treated with more respect as they tend to suffer more through sleep deprivation as they can't afford to stop and rest for as long as the faster guys.

The only time 'advantage' he has is over the closing time of the control and in that situation he has well over 24 hours in hand. .

Advertisement