Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Wild Atlantic Way 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

PeggyO2016 wrote: »
    You make it sound like a race - Audax is not racing. What other riders are doing is irrelevant and if you're looking to 'beat' other riders, you haven't grasped the concept of Audax. Each finisher is treated the same once they finish within the allotted time. In fact, the slower riders are often treated with more respect as they tend to suffer more through sleep deprivation as they can't afford to stop and rest for as long as the faster guys.

The only time 'advantage' he has is over the closing time of the control and in that situation he has well over 24 hours in hand. .

Thanks for the pep talk.

Just a bit of fun. Some of those guys are friends and club mates. Is that OK with you?

Wind and rain making things tough going this afternoon, when they were hoping for some respite after the hills of Kerry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 PeggyO2016

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Thanks for the pep talk.

Just a bit of fun. Some of those guys are friends and club mates. Is that OK with you?

It wasn't a pep talk, just clarification on the non-competitive nature of Audax.

Most of the riders are friends and/or club mates of mine too and I can guarantee that the vast majority of them are just thinking about their own ride and what they need to do to get to the next control with the minimum of hassle. Some are probably helping others who are suffering get through their rough patches too, which is probably the best thing about Audax riding - the camaraderie amongst riders.

When they hear how well Bill and other faster riders are doing, they'll probably be voicing admiration and perhaps wishing they were as strong/fast as the front runners, but I sincerely doubt many, if any of them are planning an attack to chase down those ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

It wasn't a pep talk, just clarification on the non-competitive nature of Audax.

Most of the riders are friends and/or club mates of mine too and I can guarantee that the vast majority of them are just thinking about their own ride and what they need to do to get to the next control with the minimum of hassle. Some are probably helping others who are suffering get through their rough patches too, which is probably the best thing about Audax riding - the camaraderie amongst riders.

When they hear how well Bill and other faster riders are doing, they'll probably be voicing admiration and perhaps wishing they were as strong/fast as the front runners, but I sincerely doubt many, if any of them are planning an attack to chase down those ahead of them.

Fair play to your mates. The poster's friends are approaching it in a slightly different way. Not sure why you're getting so worked up about it.

You are right in the Audax ethos - no need to explain, I'm well aware. Like I said, a bit of friendly competition amongst peers off the radar is no harm at all. And you probably already know it's part of every long ride, although a small part. As I write, one is making his move, like he said he would before the start.

Now, keep your hand off the pernickety outrage button and let's all be friends ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

A lot of the comments make it sound like a race.
    Audax in non-competitive in ethos and isn't a race.
    I know, I'm getting "worked up", and producing "persnickety outrage" etc etc ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

We are having a ball. Organisation is top class, controls are out of this world. Great food and friendly faces.

Best of luck to Bill and everyone else. Mentally his one really tough cookie. I couldn't do it.

Slower riders have a much tougher event.

Special mention to the two Irish ladies, one previous audax ride between and flying. Still smiling and still driving it on.

The Bouldwhacker passed me 2km from Oranmore, faster than I could do a 10km TT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ford2600 wrote: »
    We are having a ball. Organisation is top class, controls are out of this world. Great food and friendly faces.

Best of luck to Bill and everyone else. Mentally his one really tough cookie. I couldn't do it.

Special mention to the two Irish ladies, one previous audax ride between and flying. Still smiling and still driving it on.

The Bouldwhacker passed me 2km from Oranmore, faster than I could do a 10km TT!!

How's the weather behaving out Weshst?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Inquitus wrote: »

We're staying in Ballyvaughan for the weekend and I saw a few of the riders passing this evening.....the weather is ****e here. The rainfall radar shows clear since this afternoon but it hasn't stopped raining since the foodstop on the Burren tour yesterday afternoon! I've so much respect for these guys - this is some incredible event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Inquitus wrote: »
    andy69 wrote: »
    We're staying in Ballyvaughan for the weekend and I saw a few of the riders passing this evening.....the weather is ****e here. The rainfall radar shows clear since this afternoon but it hasn't stopped raining since the foodstop on the Burren tour yesterday afternoon! I've so much respect for these guys - this is some incredible event.

Yeah, was in Clifden/Connemara on gaeltacht visitation duty this weekend and at best it could be called soft day weather, mist/fog and mild but for a large part of this morning it lashed and the wind blew hard, definitely would make for a long day on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nilhg wrote: »
    ....on gaeltacht visitation duty this weekend ....
    I have to do the same next weekend. My 14 yr old daughter has reported Arranmore Island as the coldest place on earth!

OA - the pride of McNally Swords CC nearing Ballyvaughan tonight. keep her lit OA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

So whos winning today ;-)

I went for a small spin this morning and was lucky to see a lot of the cyclist heading out towards Spiddal. I tried waving and giving them the thumbs up and most of them had big smiles on there face which was great to see as its a tough westerly wind this morning that they'd be working against today. Hats off to all the men and women doing it, made my 40km spin seem like a stroll in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

ford2600 wrote: »

Well done ford2600, I have complete and utter admiration for you and all of the others completing this mammoth adventure. The mental and physical toughness it is taking to keep going in the weather, over all the hills, the tough sleeping conditions and to keep ploughing on through sleep depravation - nothing short of heroic.

I was with the two girls for a bit yesterday in West Clare - that cross wind and rain in Kilbaha and Loop Head was unreal and every cyclist we met still had a smile on their face. Unbelievable going from the two girls but they're tough nuts and work extremely well as a team.

Keep it up everyone, yer more than half way there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Amazing stuff! I've been tracking all weekend and I don't even know anybody taking part. I've definitely been inspired to try my first Audax event this summer.

No37 seems to be heading off in completely the wrong direction. Can anything be done to tell him to turn back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Amazing stuff! I've been tracking all weekend and I don't even know anybody taking part. I've definitely been inspired to try my first Audax event this summer.

No37 seems to be heading off in completely the wrong direction. Can anything be done to tell him to turn back?

I can't watch. I'm sure the organisers are trying to get in touch with him. His GPS must be dead but he has a route card too so he'll figure it out when he checks it. He'll have to go back to Kilrush and hit for Loop head :(

Bill F forging ahead - almost at the Mayo control.
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    ...No37 seems to be heading off in completely the wrong direction. Can anything be done to tell him to turn back?
    I suspect he's heading for a bike shop in Ennis. Mechanical trouble?

He's just reached it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

He's just reached it.

See he's left there now and doing his lap of Achill.

Would the plan be to do the lap of that and get back to Mayo Control for sleep and do the leg to Ballina tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I suspect he's heading for a bike shop in Ennis. Mechanical trouble?

At Registration last week, there were a few riders who were planning to ride the route, but not within the the time allowed. Some of them have been falling further behind each day, so I suspect this is just to get back on track and maybe get to Galway tonight?

• Advertisement

Strange - no 37 has headed north out of Ennis and via Gort and now towards Clarinbridge. Looks like he's attempting to get back on track. I would have thought he would have to retrace his steps back to where he left the route.I suppose technically he can still check in at the next control.

OA in Clifden now. ford2600 going great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Strange - no 37 has headed north out of Ennis and via Gort and now towards Clarinbridge. Looks like he's attempting to get back on track. I would have thought he would have to retrace his steps back to where he left the route.I suppose technically he can still check in at the next control.
    He'll have missed two info controls so will be a dnf in that case...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Following this with great interest and well done to all who are taking part

Really interested in Audax, is there a link for information etc on events and the rules, I'd be a complete noob to This type of event. Biggest ride would be a 225km back to back covering Dublin to Sligo and back over a Sat-Sun

Apologies for jumping in slightly off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

whacker00 wrote: »

Really interested in Audax, is there a link for information etc on events and the rules, I'd be a complete noob to This type of event. Biggest ride would be a 225km back to back covering Dublin to Sligo and back over a Sat-Sun
    audaxireland.org will give you all the information you need. The wild atlantic way is an extreme example of audax but you would be well able for the normal events. Try it, it's great fun and as challenging as you want to make it.

Following this with great interest and well done to all who are taking part

Apologies for jumping in slightly off topic
    Start from here: www.audaxireland.org

Events start at 200km, so you're already more than half way there. Then they say "if you can ride a 200, you can do a 300" and so on.

As you might have noticed from some of the references above, there are a number of audaxers frequenting the forum, so don't be afraid to ask.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    He'll have missed two info controls so will be a dnf in that case...
    I'd forgotten about the info controls. Thanks.
    ....Really interested in Audax, is there a link for information etc on events and the rules,...
    Rules: http://www.audaxireland.org/audax/rules/

You'll get lots of other information on the main site.

No. 49 also off track - going through Gort now. :confused:

Seems to be a problem with the tracker system today. Showing 'no signal' for most riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

OA has withdrawn... :/

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    OA has withdrawn... :/

He sounded absolutely wrecked on FB yesterday.

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be the only one - there are few who haven't budged from the Corraun control yet this morning.

Advertisement