Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Wild Atlantic Way 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

Tracker is back up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Absolutely staggering the distance being covered, also keenly following the progress here. I'd be delighted to do this in three weeks, let alone one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

has Bill stopped?

7 gone ahead of him, think 61 as well.
    50 caught up with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Thud wrote: »
    has Bill stopped?

50 caught up with him

Just on a break, I think. A lot of very tired legs out there this morning. I suspect that at most, the front 5-10 riders might push on to Sligo this evening, the remainder will just stay at the Ballina control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    OA has withdrawn... :/
    He sounded absolutely wrecked on FB yesterday....
    :( I'm gutted for him but he did us proud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

:( I'm gutted for him but he did us proud!
    OA is a very strong and capable rider, was he having any specific problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

From his FB:

Yesterday
    I passed the 1,000km mark in the last few hours. I'm not making enough progress. The butt went on day 2. The hands, toes, and right knee went yesterday (day 3). The head went today :/ I'm limping along to the next control: Clifden.

Today
    The Wild Atlantic Way has defeated me. After riding 1,100km and ascending 10,000m, while being devoured by midges, drenched repeatedly and for long periods of time, and battered by strong winds, I have found my limit.
    I know this will disappoint many people, and for that I am sorry. I also know that, thanks to the GPS tracking, many of my friends have discovered Audax, and have been blown away by the heroic efforts of the riders. I'm proud I was able to play a part in popularizing our sport.

Thud wrote: »
    has Bill stopped?

50 caught up with him
    Bill F on the move again! 3 ahead of him 50, 61 and 7.

Bernard F now nearing the Ballina control.

Bernard F now nearing the Ballina control.
    He's through the Ballina control now and heading to Enniscrone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

And a couple more heading to Ballina have decided to ditch the coast a take in Pontoon instead.

He's through the Ballina control now and heading to Enniscrone.
    Just see that he had turned off the main road north of Ballina. Is the control outside the town?
    smacl wrote: »
    And a couple more heading to Ballina have decided to ditch the coast a take in Pontoon instead.
    I was wondering about that!

Jimmy F also checked in at Ballina.

Just see that he had turned off the main road north of Ballina. Is the control outside the town?

Control is in the rugby club at the edge of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Loving tracking these guys throughout the day.

Was there an exact start time for all on this or was it more relaxed kinda time window and set off when your ready?

If there was exact time for start when is the actual 175 hours time fall that they need to finish?

oconnpad wrote: »
    Loving tracking these guys throughout the day.

Was there an exact start time for all on this or was it more relaxed kinda time window and set off when your ready?

If there was exact time for start when is the actual 175 hours time fall that they need to finish?

All the riders set off together from Kinsale at 6am last Friday morning. The official cut-off is this coming Friday at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

just back from helping out at control at Currane last night, epic stuff from all entrants, 2 guys are doing it on Elliptigos, one of them broke 9 spokes ! The route is beyond savage, think a Mick Byrne plus a half every day for 7 days. You might be close then, this is the 1st of its kind in Europe and full credit must go to Eamon, Bernie, Seamus and David for getting this going, it's amazing. If anyone is near the route, please go and lend support, if anyone is near a control, please go and give a hand. Riders and volunteers are getting extremely tired now, and all help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

there is no signal from 40 since 15:23...??

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

There has been a few technical issues with the tracking devices, also they need to be charged regularly, which isn't always possible when they are on the road for so long ! I am sure Ford 2000 is tipping along, spoke to him last night and this am, and he's in A1 condition.

61 is ploughing on at some rate, lap of honour at this rate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

There has been a few technical issues with the tracking devices, also they need to be charged regularly, which isn't always possible when they are on the road for so long ! I am sure Ford 2000 is tipping along, spoke to him last night and this am, and he's in A1 condition.

Howya Paul. Thanks for all the help with yourself and the Motley crew!!

Full value wasn't an option for me, self employed and have to be in Cork Friday morning which meant I had to finish Thursday evening by 9 at latest.

No sleep Sunday night (no idea why, despite 8 hrs to rest) meant Monday was a pretty hard solo 300km with a lot of Westerly wind. Hadnt energy to do Achill loop last night which put me on back foot. Last nights sleep was crap again with phlegm on chest.

Did 120km to Bangor and knew Thursday evening wasn't going to happen so called it a day. Hard decision and my mind flipped a lot between 5am and 1pm!!

I'll do a full ride report later but just to thank all the organisers & helpers (like MacGver Newman), other riders and everyone involved for a magical event.

The West coast is magic, but special mention for Achill. Real end of the world/Lord of the Rings stuff as shook as I was ☺

oconnpad wrote: »
    61 is ploughing on at some rate, lap of honour at this rate :D
    He's almost in Bundoran - savage stuff!

He's almost in Bundoran - savage stuff!

i just plotted his route on strava and he's 171km from Lackenagh control, distances are just mind boggling.

And sure mention 7 while we are at it, only 12km behind, rounding error in the overall distance

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I believe that No.61 placed second in the Race Around Ireland, in 2012 if I'm not mistaken.
    Did no. 7 light up the scoreboard in Croke park for the Royals in the '90s? or is he just a namesake? Obviously a bit of an athlete at any rate.
    But fair play, and massive kudos to anybody undertaking that savage spin (which is not a race of course).

Jimmy F has entered Co Donegal.

Jimmy F has entered Co Donegal.
    Through Bundoran and Ballyshannon and now heading for Donegal Town. Inspirational stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    I believe that No.61 placed second in the Race Around Ireland, in 2012 if I'm not mistaken.
    Did no. 7 light up the scoreboard in Croke park for the Royals in the '90s? or is he just a namesake? Obviously a bit of an athlete at any rate.
    But fair play, and massive kudos to anybody undertaking that savage spin (which is not a race of course).

Jim Fitzpatrick wasn't remotely under pressure for first few days, no where near his limit. He started to push Monday morning and looked fresh as a daisy yesterday morning. He really seems to enjoy Audax and has his lovely wife and brother along in camper van to help out.
    Complete savage on bike.

B Flynn isn't the number 13 that played for Meath. Someone told me he was, I had my doubts and asked the man himself! Bernard wouldn't be the fastest rider on event and to be that far up the road is some savage effort. Real nice man who is organiser of Celtic Knot along with OleRodrigo

One of the Irish girls never rode over 180km before Friday. Not in a cycling club either. So modest it took 3 days before I got the ultra runner information out of her. (a bit of running and kayaking I later discovered was Beast of Ballyhoura) Two top athletes. RAI or RAAM material if I ever saw it.

^^^^^^

For a man with no sleep, you're up early!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

^^^^^^

For a man with no sleep, you're up early!

Its a symptom of long Audax events your brain and your stomach don't know what when where or whys going on, takes me days to get right and I never did a 2000k. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Was in Oranmore Sunday doing some volunteering and headed out Monday to do the Galway leg being a proud Galwegian!

Fair play to all the lads, some achievement so far. Bill took off Sunday evening in the heavy mist so he would get to Clifden by 12 or 1 at night. Incredible.

Monday was mostly fine but lost the guys at the control in Clifden. Was on my own from there to Leenane then before we met up again. Then I had to head back to Galway from there.

I see they're well into Donegal now. Good luck to them.

Also superb organisation by Eamon, Seamus, Noel and Paul.

Advertisement