Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC won't display signal on TV

Options
  • 24-11-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

So, I bought a new PC to hook up to my TV as a gaming device, thing is, I can't get a signal via HDMI. It booted to the BIOS (it has no OS atm) in the store that built it for me, but they were connected to a PC monitor via DVI. (GTX 960 GPU)

I called them and asked them what the story was and they said some PC's don't work with TV's? ...... What PC's don't work with TV's? How am I supposed to fix this? Is there anything I can do?

:(

Absolutely gutted here. I can't just buy a monitor as I've no room for one (plus I'm broke after buying a 4KTV plus new PC) it's why I wanted to use my TV as one.

Lads, what do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

So, I bought a new PC to hook up to my TV as a gaming device, thing is, I can't get a signal via HDMI. It booted to the BIOS (it has no OS atm) in the store that built it for me, but they were connected to a PC monitor via DVI. (GTX 960 GPU)

I called them and asked them what the story was and they said some PC's don't work with TV's? ...... What PC's don't work with TV's? How am I supposed to fix this? Is there anything I can do?

:(

Absolutely gutted here. I can't just buy a monitor as I've no room for one (plus I'm broke after buying a 4KTV plus new PC) it's why I wanted to use my TV as one.

Lads, what do I do?

Have you tried the different HDMI ports on the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Have you tried the different HDMI ports on the TV?

Yeah, tried them all, the best I get from "no signal" is a black screen. Been at it all day, so disheartening.

Yeah, tried them all, the best I get from "no signal" is a black screen. Been at it all day, so disheartening.

It might be the high resolution of the TV, maybe the bios can't display on it?

Only other thing I would suggest is try a different HDMI cable if you have one. You could also try removing the graphics card and plugging in to the motherboard HDMI output if it has one

It might be the high resolution of the TV, maybe the bios can't display on it?

Only other thing I would suggest is try a different HDMI cable if you have one. You could also try removing the graphics card and plugging in to the motherboard HDMI output if it has one

I'll try these, thanks. I rang the store again and they suggested that I buy a DVI to VGA adapter (my friends monitor is VGA) and use it on that? Does that sound viable? Or is he just leading me astray?

I'll try these, thanks. I rang the store again and they suggested that I buy a DVI to VGA adapter (my friends monitor is VGA) and use it on that? Does that sound viable? Or is he just leading me astray?

Those adapters often come with the graphics card, you should ask the shop that built it if it did. Do you have another TV you could try the HDMI output on? I'm not sure if you need one of the newer HDMI 2.0 cables for 4kk or not.

If you can test it on your friends monitor, and it works it won't necessarily rule out a bad HDMI port on the graphics card,but would be a positivrle sign that the graphics card is working

Edit: have a look in the TV manual as well to see if there is anything specific you need to do to coonect up a pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Post the model of 4KTV you got. I can't imagine any consumer 4K display that doesn't accept HDMI or a PC.

Those adapters often come with the graphics card, you should ask the shop that built it if it did. Do you have another TV you could try the HDMI output on? I'm not sure if you need one of the newer HDMI 2.0 cables for 4kk or not.

If you can test it on your friends monitor, and it works it won't necessarily rule out a bad HDMI port on the graphics card,but would be a positivrle sign that the graphics card is working

Edit: have a look in the TV manual as well to see if there is anything specific you need to do to coonect up a pc

Yeah, I tried it on my other TV, says the same, no signal. TV's recognize something is connected, just no signal

Post the model of 4KTV you got. I can't imagine any consumer 4K display that doesn't accept HDMI or a PC.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500

According to this, it gets an 8/10 as a "PC Monitor"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

A gtx960@4k resolution. I hope you're not playing any FPS games, because you certainly won't manage over 30fps in most games. You'll be lucky to see 10fps in others

A gtx960@4k resolution. I hope you're not playing any FPS games, because you certainly won't manage over 30fps in most games. You'll be lucky to see 10fps in others

Noooo, I plan on playing in 1080p. If the thing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

What outputs does the graphics card have?

You said it works via DVI (In store?) How about a DVI to HDMI adapter, thats what I use and it works fine.

Does it not have a VGA output?

Is the fact it has no operating system installed cause the problem?

Dont you need to select output in bios? Im nearly sure I had to with my PC running a Gforce graphics card with multiple outputs (VGA, HDMI, DVI)

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    What outputs does the graphics card have?

You said it works via DVI (In store?) How about a DVI to HDMI adapter, thats what I use and it works fine.

Does it not have a VGA output?

Is the fact it has no operating system installed cause the problem?

Dont you need to select output in bios? Im nearly sure I had to with my PC running a Gforce graphics card with multiple outputs (VGA, HDMI, DVI)

I can't get to the bios as I get no signal on my TV. Think I'll pick up a Displayport to HDMI & DVI to HDMI cable(s) tomorrow and see if it helps.

EDIT: Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2 they're GTX 960 outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has the board got integrated graphics? Are you using those and not the discrete card?

ED E wrote: »
    Has the board got integrated graphics? Are you using those and not the discrete card?

This is a mobo

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85%20Anniversary/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I've had a similar problem before. If the display resolution did not exactly match the output resolution it would not display an image.

Install an OS and play about with another more forgiving monitor and you should be able to get it going. Also test the cable and ports on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭cml387

I wonder if you can borrow a monitor and boot to that. Then see if you can set up the tv as a second display and work from there.

Onboard DVI is probably what they used, issue is GPU I'd guess.

Onboard DVI is probably what they used, issue is GPU I'd guess.

Ah don't say that. :( Yeah, when I called them they said they booted to bios via DVI.

I've had a similar problem before. If the display resolution did not exactly match the output resolution it would not display an image.

Install an OS and play about with another more forgiving monitor and you should be able to get it going. Also test the cable and ports on the TV.

So would I have to remove the GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭cml387

I presume you have connected power to gpu?

I can't get to the bios as I get no signal on my TV. Think I'll pick up a Displayport to HDMI & DVI to HDMI cable(s) tomorrow and see if it helps.

EDIT: Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2 they're GTX 960 outputs.

I wouldn't go buying adaptors until you have narrowed down the cause. Is there any body nearby that you can bring the PC over and plug in to their monitor? Where are you based?

• Advertisement

1. Get DVI capable Monitor
    2. Boot to bios
    3. Configure GPU to PCIE not internal
    4. Boot back with 4K TV
    5. Install OS

Easy peasy.

cml387 wrote: »
    I presume you have connected power to gpu?

Yeah, GPU fans spin.
    I wouldn't go buying adaptors until you have narrowed down the cause. Is there any body nearby that you can bring the PC over and plug in to their monitor? Where are you based?

My mates monitor is VGA, and when I mentioned DVI to him he said "what's DVI?" Ugh.

I'm based in Ringsend/Irishtown
    1. Get DVI capable Monitor
    2. Boot to bios
    3. Configure GPU to PCIE not internal
    4. Boot back with 4K TV
    5. Install OS

Easy peasy.

No access to a DVI monitor. Guess I'll have to bring it to another PC place. Man, this is getting expensive. Right before Xmas to! bleh

Appreciate the help though, a lot.

Yeah, GPU fans spin.

My mates monitor is VGA, and when I mentioned DVI to him he said "what's DVI?" Ugh.

I'm based in Ringsend/Irishtown

No access to a DVI monitor. Guess I'll have to bring it to another PC place. Man, this is getting expensive. Right before Xmas to! bleh

Appreciate the help though, a lot.

In would try the motherboard outputs first, in case it is defaulting to using the onboard graphics to see if you get a signal. Failing that I would removed the graphics card and try the same again.

In would try the motherboard outputs first, in case it is defaulting to using the onboard graphics to see if you get a signal. Failing that I would removed the graphics card and try the same again.

Thanks, hopefully I get it resolved soon because I feel like crying! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Isn't it a brand new PC built by a shop? Take it back to them to sort out. Don't be taking it to anyone else.

Advertisement