Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank scam

• 24-11-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I don't know if this is the place to write this, but it is a scam.
    Phone call yesterday, Eastern voice saying "someone seems to be buying a £499 watch on my account, should they proceed or cancel". "Your BOI account", which I replied "I am in AIB", oh yes AIB".
    They were daft enough to ring from a British number which I passed on to bank and fraud dept. To be told we know about it but first time we have a phone number.
    Be careful, it is phishing, if they spoke rasonable English they could have fooled someone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Also be aware that when they ring they usually quote to people the 1st four digits of their debit card 4319 which usually impresses the person taking the call and believe it is their bank however 4319 is the 1st four numbers on all debit cards. The caller also sometimes says they are ringing from a store and advises the person to ring their bank but do not hang up so when they dial the number of their bank the caller is still on the phone.

A huge amount of elderly has been conned so it's important to warn your elderly parents and relatives not to disclose any numbers to anybody as bank will not ask for your full passwords.
    Tippjohn wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the place to write this, but it is a scam.
    Phone call yesterday, Eastern voice saying "someone seems to be buying a £499 watch on my account, should they proceed or cancel". "Your BOI account", which I replied "I am in AIB", oh yes AIB".
    They were daft enough to ring from a British number which I passed on to bank and fraud dept. To be told we know about it but first time we have a phone number.
    Be careful, it is phishing, if they spoke rasonable English they could have fooled someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Thanks Trish, we live and learn. This type of info helps us all.

Advertisement