Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS Laptop - Burnt Motherboard

Options
  • 24-11-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey everyone, so I purchased a laptop from a marketplace seller on Amazon in November of last year and yesterday it turned off suddenly. I opened it up and found it smelled strongly of burning and there's a black spot on the motherboard. My one year warranty with ASUS was up on the 4th of November and the seller on Amazon claims they have nothing to do with it as a year has past. What can I do? I found this online and thought it may be applicable:

europa[dot]eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees/index_en[dot]htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was the laptop new or second hand? This has some bearing at this stage

You may need to contact the ECC (http://www.eccireland.ie/) if the seller is outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

L1011 wrote: »
    Was the laptop new or second hand? This has some bearing at this stage

Not if it's been opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

It was brand new and only opened last December. I didn't think opening the laptop affected the warranty considering there was a smell of burning which had to be checked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not if it's been opened up.

Doesn't remove consumer rights. Voluntary warranties are different stories

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

The seller claims I must send it to ASUS to determine whether it was a manufacturing fault or not but I've been informed by others that it is the seller's responsibility to do this. Would that be correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

TheZPPanda wrote: »
    The seller claims I must send it to ASUS to determine whether it was a manufacturing fault or not but I've been informed by others that it is the seller's responsibility to do this. Would that be correct?
    Consumer law doesn't explicitly say who is responsible for proving the cause of the fault. However it does say that if the problem was reported in the first 6 months after delivery then the onus is on the seller to show the problem wasn't there from the beginning if they want to dispute the claim. This implies that if the problem occurs after the first 6 months then the seller can put the onus on you to prove your case.

You may have to pay for testing, shipping, etc but once the defect is shown to be inherent then the seller has to refund you those costs in addition to redress (repair, replace, refund) for the product itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭billgibney

Are you sure about the warranty, I thought Asus gave a 2 year warranty with a lot of their laptops.

Advertisement