Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC ~€1000

Options
  • 24-11-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]
    Not sure ~€1000 - some advice would be good.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Gaming - Euro Truck Sim 2, Elite Dangerous, Cities Skylines. I would like to play these high settings if possible. Watching youtube & general interneting.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.]
    Maybe, I have an old Dell Dimension 5150. Think the processor/motherboard/graphics card is past it. But maybe the memory could be of some use?

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    Yes, I want two - will settle for one for the moment to stay within budget.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]
    24" maybe a BENQ?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    Head Set, Card Reader

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]
    Maybe, if its worth it.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    Any method..

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    In the next couple of months.

Here is what I currently have over budget, need to reduce the processor and grpahics card to get within budget. What graphics card should I go for?

369683.png

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Drop the CPU to an i5 and RAM to 8gb first off.

Were you using that to spec one or are you buying off them?

Dabs might have a few prebuilts that are better value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

See below my current plan. Any opinions would be appreciated.

372031.jpg

How much over are you?

About £100 over with current prices.

As before, i5 4460 and a H81 board will knock off over €100, don't forget to change RAM

*Sorry thought I had specified a 4460

You'll have no performance hit with the older chip

• Advertisement

So it is not worthwhile using most up-to-date chip to allow installation of 2400 memory?

It's useful in benchmarks, no real life benefit afaik.

It's worthwhile, but on your budget there are better places to prioritize

Ok. Should look at a more efficient PSU?

What RAM should I be looking at?

372034.JPG

Get a Z97 board with the 4670k, you want to overclock I take it?

Any DDR3 RAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i5-4460 is perfectly fine, no need for the 'k' model unless you're adamant that you want to overclock (it won't add any games performance). You don't need that CPU cooler either, again unless you will be overclocking.

The H81M is fine, but you can't overclock on that if you decide that's what you want - you would be looking at a Z97 board, really, in such a case.

The ram is pricey, standard 1600mhz is fine, if you really want 2400mhz for whatever reason, there are cheaper single sticks of 8GB.

You have a 120GB SSD listed but no storage drive - maybe consider getting the 120GB SSD + 1TB, or else up to a 250GB SSD and that may get you by.

Any 400W+ decent power supply is more than enough for a GTX970 setup also.

Case is pretty expensive, good but a pricier one, lots of good cases around the £30-40 mark.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the feedback.

No I don't think I will overclock. I have an old hard drive I will probably use for the moment for storage. So what quality of graphics could I expect from a build such as this?

372244.JPG

Maxing out, or close to, everything at 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yip. You might have to change something stupid like 'Shadows' from 'Ultra' to 'High' but you'll be maxed out at 1080 for the moment and Shadows are the weirdest thing to leave at ultra. You're paying a 5-10% performance hit for slightlier blurrier shadows when they look blurry enough. 4k screen @ 60 inches you might care

Even comparing 'High' to "Ultra' on the texture details with Witcher 3 when zoomed in on characters, I could very barely make out differences and only on close-ups. Nothing I'd ever detect unless pausing the game, taking screenshots and examinng details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You don't need the Z170 board with that CPU. Z-series boards are only useful with K-series CPUs. I forget what the other Skylake chipsets are off the bat - probably Q170 or H110 or something. Get one of those instead, and use the money for a 250GB SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Serephucus wrote: »
    You don't need the Z170 board with that CPU. Z-series boards are only useful with K-series CPUs.

The non-K Skylake chips are overclockable with a BIOS update, it's up to the mobo manufacturers to provide the updates - maybe some won't do it but I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

grindle wrote: »
    The non-K Skylake chips are overclockable with a BIOS update, it's up to the mobo manufacturers to provide the updates - maybe some won't do it but I'd doubt it.
    You can now OC the BCLK so, even you can do it manually with BIOS updates. This is actually better than previous X9 BCLK overclocking, which overclocked things like your HDD and your memory.
    Currently AsRock and MSI are doing it, with Gigabyte going to follow suit.
    No one knows what ASUS is upto...

Can someone recommend me a suitable good value motherboard for my needs? I am a bit lost with all the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/ASRock-Z170-Pro4-D3-Intel-Z170-So-1151-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_1009432.html

That's the cheapest Z170 motherboard I could find after a quick search. Should do you for overclocking on a non-K CPU, and obviously support overclocking of a K-series chip as well.

Advertisement