Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I use my own VOIP provider but must eir switch it on?

Options
  • 24-11-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

I have FTTH on its own for a trial and to keep cost down I am trying to fathom VOIP. Am I right in assuming EIR have to switch me on in the first place? And can I then select my own VOIP provider ie best value or will EIR insist I use them?

It is a bit more confusing than I expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You should be able to get the phone number and connection details from your provider of VOIP services.
    There are quite a number of them out there so shop around.

This is just an example - never used them myself -

http://www.goldfish.ie/7456/all/1/Single-User-VoIP.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VOIP is "Over the Top", doesnt care about the underlying ISP.

You may have to debrand the F2000 to use it as your ATA (VOIP to Phone device) or you can buy a standalone one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 christopher.sm

That is correct. EIR gives you broadband infrastructure and you can shop around for VOIP. If you have an existing phone number, you can port it to a VOIP provider.

Advertisement