Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

bazz26 wrote: »
    Congrats Carsfan2, sounds like it will be a cracking car. I take it your buying from Morrison in Cahir?

Yeah Bazz.
    Best trade in offer and they consistently have given excellent after sales service over the years so happy to do business with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Same cost to change as the golf and lot less than a relatively basic s3 and should have it February hopefully to avoid a price rise.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind me asking when did you place your order?
    I’ve been in touch with 2 BMW garages in the past week looking to order a 4 series and first 1 is quoting end of March and the other April/May . I haven’t tried Morrison’s yet.
    I’ve never o”ordered “ a specific car before. Had hoped it would be earlier.

I ordered Tuesday morning and order went in that day. They were hoping to get a favourable slot at that stage, possibly bag a car that is in the system and still spec amendable.
    I haven’t talked to them since. They will contact me when they get definite build date.
    There have been a lot of pre orders for many cars apparently. New orders way up in Ireland and some models in short supply. I have feeling Germany going into a new lockdown won’t help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Cheers, well wear with your new motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Were you getting much % discount off the RRP of the S3? I'm still waiting on a quote..there talking 3/4 mts for delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I ordered Tuesday morning and order went in that day. They were hoping to get a favourable slot at that stage, possibly bag a car that is in the system and still spec amendable.
    I haven’t talked to them since. They will contact me when they get definite build date.
    There have been a lot of pre orders for many cars apparently. New orders way up in Ireland and some models in short supply. I have feeling Germany going into a new lockdown won’t help either.

Sounds like a cracker. Colour combo and the all the packs are great.

Were you getting much % discount off the RRP of the S3? I'm still waiting on a quote..there talking 3/4 mts for delivery.

I got offered 28k for my own but was really being offered 26k with 2k knocked off the car.
    You need to factor in 1 to 1.5 k possible price rise with vat going up in March.
    What sort of spec you put on it?
    It’s shockingly poorly equipped as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I got offered 28k for my own but was really being offered 26k with 2k knocked off the car.
    You need to factor in 1 to 1.5 k possible price rise with vat going up in March.
    What sort of spec you put on it?
    It’s shockingly poorly equipped as standard.

I'm going to take 330e for another spin. The sales staff didn't come with me because of covid and I think I concentrated too much on the range and electric/hybrid modes and don't know what suspension setting i drove in. Could have been in the stiffest setting which I didn't like. No harm having another go anyway. 10 mins from the garage I will hit plenty of speed bumps around where I work.
    Adaptive suspension would be a new thing for me. Would you mind carsfan if I pm you quotes I got on a 330e to see how it compares to what you got?
    Still like the car and if its not to be its not to be

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'm going to take 330e for another spin. The sales staff didn't come with me because of covid and I think I concentrated too much on the range and electric/hybrid modes and don't know what suspension setting i drove in. Could have been in the stiffest setting which I didn't like. No harm having another go anyway. 10 mins from the garage I will hit plenty of speed bumps around where I work.
    Adaptive suspension would be a new thing for me. Would you mind carsfan if I pm you quotes I got on a 330e to see how it compares to what you got?
    Still like the car and if its not to be its not to be

No problem. Unlikely the car wasn’t in comfort asa default though. I found the ride definitely more controlled than my 5 series but it was still comfortable. It lets you know a lot more what the car is doing if that makes sense and doesn’t float along. Apparently If you put it in adaptive apparently the car changes as it gets used to your driving style.
    I am not expecting the same cushioning as in a 5 series A6 or e class

No problem. Unlikely the car wasn’t in comfort asa default though. I found the ride definitely more controlled than my 5 series but it was still comfortable. It lets you know a lot more what the car is doing if that makes sense and doesn’t float along. Apparently If you put it in adaptive apparently the car changes as it gets used to your driving style.
    I am not expecting the same cushioning as in a 5 series A6 or e class

Pm sent. I don't think this machine was in comfort. It would be silly of me to dismiss it without checking. As I said I was so focused on 2 things, the range on electric and putting my foot down when I got a chance that I didn't check what mode it was in. If the firmness can be sorted its back on the agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Comfort is the default setting when you switch the car on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Could have been in adaptive mode which might have put the car in sport chassis since he was checking out acceleration etc

Do you know what spec the car you drove was?
    If it hasn’t m sport pro on it then unlikely it had adaptive suspension.

Do you know what spec the car you drove was?
    If it hasn’t m sport pro on it then unlikely it had adaptive suspension.

Was msport pro for sure. I'll give him a buzz tomorrow. The bmw genius as they call them set it up for me and went through everything, but there was so much I can't remember about suspension. It was an unregistered car with fake 211 D 530 reg on the back and trade plates on the dashboard. I'd say I got a few comments and funny looks on my 35kms around west dublin and north Kildare.

If only that was a decision to make in Ireland. Some options and they are 90 grand cars here.

Sickening that you can lease them for around £600 a month over there too.

Sickening that you can lease them for around £600 a month over there too.

Absolutely.
    I really like Joe Achilles reviews but I am beginning to think that he is starting to seem like a BMW and Audi infomercial presenter more and more.
    Since his chauffeur business has gone he is relying on YouTube more and needs the cars from them.

Absolutely.
    I really like Joe Achilles reviews but I am beginning to think that he is starting to seem like a BMW and Audi infomercial presenter more and more.
    Since his chauffeur business has gone he is relying on YouTube more and needs the cars from them.

I think he's still a bmw fan but needs to use audi a bit too for volume and income. In fairness though if you look at all his videos he reviews high end stuff, not hard to be complimentary and give good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

His missus works for Audi press. I unfollowed him on Insta. He seems like a bit of a knob outside of his YT videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If only that was a decision to make in Ireland. Some options and they are 90 grand cars here.

Even with all the changes the M340d is still a good few grand cheaper than the M340i.

The problem now is the resale value - you'd want to be a very brave soul to buy one new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I like him and watch a lot of his stuff. But yeah, he is very heavily biased towards BMW, so you cannot expect much balance in his videos. He’s effectively the media face for his mate in that dealership, TRL deals.

He's a social media influencer so it's no real surprise that his reviews are going to be biased towards particular products that he benefits from. Having a social media influencer with thousands of followers endorsing your business is a powerful way of drumming up more business so it's good for both. In turn he gets better deals on his own cars than most, I wouldn't be surprised if he leases those cars for next to nothing as he is also promoting them. With his chauffeur business gone down the drain now due to Covid I'd say every review going forward will be heavily sponsored with product placement as it's his main source of income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

He's a social media influencer so it's no real surprise that his reviews are going to be biased towards particular products that he benefits from. Having a social media influencer with thousands of followers endorsing your business is a powerful way of drumming up more business so it's good for both. In turn he gets better deals on his own cars than most, I wouldn't be surprised if he leases those cars for next to nothing as he is also promoting them. With his chauffeur business gone down the drain now due to Covid I'd say every review going forward will be heavily sponsored with product placement as it's his main source of income.

Bmw in the uk have special lease rates for “influencers”

His missus works for Audi press. I unfollowed him on Insta. He seems like a bit of a knob outside of his YT videos.

Just had a look at his Insta..... Reckons we are slaves to the bullsh1t system with respect to covid19 restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

It's difficult to find a good car review channel. I suspected that Joe Achilles was a bit of a knob, I find Mat Watson very difficult to watch, and Remove Before Race was good before he started introducing these fancy graphics. Lucky we've got Nobby!

I’m not much of an “Insta” person but all I can see on his page is lots of BMW photos, I.e. an extension of his YouTube channel. I’ve a low tolerance for knobs but he doesn’t come across too bad to me !

Mat Watson is alright too imo. He’s a bit giddy / hyperactive but overall I like his stuff.

Now if you want incredibly annoying - look no further than Shmee150.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’m not much of an “Insta” person but all I can see on his page is lots of BMW photos, I.e. an extension of his YouTube channel. I’ve a low tolerance for knobs but he doesn’t come across too bad to me !

Mat Watson is alright too imo. He’s a bit giddy / hyperactive but overall I like his stuff.

I think Joe Achilles was always a BMW head, he even admits it in most of his reviews. He's just moved up a few levels to getting paid/ rewarded for his reviews so it's a win\win situation for him regarding that. I think this internet influencer game is very cut throat and there are lots trying to get in on it. His reviews (as bias as they are) are certainly not the worst but when you look back at some of his older v newer stuff you can see how the product placement, merchandising and buddy influencers become more apparent in his material. I suppose food has to be put on the table all the same.

He seems pretty straight up and genuine about it all to me. He has freely admitted that his chauffeur business has flatlined due to Covid. He posted a video not too long ago where he suggested his 7 series limo was soon to be moved on.
    He seems genuinely grateful for new subscribers/followers, he’s quite open about the YouTube model - that more subscribers means more revenue. He’s got this sideline gimmicky cringy t-shirts thing going too (control + shift), another effort to generate a bit of cash. Sure why not, if it works.

I’m not an apologist for the guy in any way but among a sea of irritating awful YouTubers/influencers, JA is far from the worst imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah I like him too. He seems pretty decent and does some good videos with some good machines. Gets the odd nice European location too, alps springs to mind. Car reviews in those locations always look great. He has been upfront that he now does sponsored content now too so he's effectively part of the marketing strategy. I don't mind that though everyone needs to earn. The guy genuinely loves driving.
    He said his chauffeuring company is officially closing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I like Joe A. There's definitely a lot worse than him at it. Schmee drives me absolutely insane, I couldn't watch a minute of anything with him in it.
    My favourite car guy on the internet is probably Harry Metcalfe. Henry Catchpoole's Carfection channel is excellent too.

Did any of ye watch Evo Car of the Year on ITV4? The second part is on tonight, it was very good. The new M2 CS is in it as well as the Cayman GTS and Yaris GR and the usual plethora of supercars. They were testing them all over two days at Anglesea and the second part is them driving in Scotland. On at 8pm tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

hey folks,

looking to change from a mark V gti (good offer made on her) and was looking at this

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Audi-A4-S-LINE-TDI-QUATTRO-A-278087166?search_type=1&make=1&fuel_type=0&age_from=0&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=102&trans_type=2&age_to=0&price_to=0&mileage_to=0&keywords=quattro&location%5B%5D=0&body_style=0

21k incl import duty

The A4 wouldn't normally appeal to me, but with it being the S line, black package, quattro and a V6, I am tempted.

Any views?

Nice bus, can't see any reason why not to go for it if your driving needs suits diesel. 21k probably not out of the way for it either to be fair but in another 3 years it might drop 60/70% of that.

30k gets a 2017 a5 s line or a 2017 A4 2.0 allroad quattro.... 22k gets a 2016 520d m sport (all 3 of them from reputable Irish dealer) so in the case of the A4 you linked to there is of course a premium for what it is.

Depends how much you want a 3.0 diesel A4 quattro :) if A4s don't normally appeal I'm not sure it's for you TBH.

21k for a 7 years old A4 seems nuts to me, I bet alot of that is going to be VRT/NoX.

Here is a same year A6 asking 19k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2704724&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D7%26o%5B%5D%3D45%26nn%3D22%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

21k for a 7 years old A4 seems nuts to me, I bet alot of that is going to be VRT/NoX.

Here is a same year A6 asking 19k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2704724&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D7%26o%5B%5D%3D45%26nn%3D22%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0
    Probably get a bit off from a Dublin dealer over Northern Ireland. Nicer car too and a lot less hassle. Personally I wouldn’t want to be going north for any reason at the moment.

Have you checked the vrt after 1st January? Could put an end to the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Have you checked the vrt after 1st January? Could put an end to the idea

I understand it will be a bit higher alright, but if a deposit is placed then I think all would be okay.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I understand it will be a bit higher alright, but if a deposit is placed then I think all would be okay.

it will be calculated on the day the vrt is done not when its bought so just don't get caught out.

For diesel vehicles = (NEDC CO2 figure x 1.1405) + 12.858

that A4 is 149g Co2

(149 x 1.1405) + 12.858 = 182.79, 183g Co2 is the cars new calculated WLTP figure then

puts it at 31% VRT instead of current rate of 23%

and the yearly motortax will be 790 as the calculated wltp figure is in band E instead of the current 400 rate if it was VRT'd before jan 1st

The new nox rate could also kill it, can't be sure I've found the right numbers but google says the nox is 149mg/km (I'm only unsure about the number because it's the same as the co2 so could be a mistake)

that would put the nox at

NOx emissions (NOx mg/km or mg/kWh) Amount payable per mg/km or mg/kWh
    The first 0-40 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be €5
    MThe next 40 mg/km or mg/kWh or part thereof, as the case may be, up to 80 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be €15
    The remainder above 80 mg/km or mg/kWh, as the case may be €25

40*5 =200
    40*15 =600
    69*25 =1725
    total =2525 nox on top of the VRT...

so to clear it on Jan 1st it's 31% of OMSP, of say 17000 = 5270

5270 + 2525 = 7795

Someone please correct me if that's wrong because thats a crazy number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

You're right with all of that but I think the Nox is out as you say.

Edit...I think that may be right. Nox seemed very high but then I copped it was mg/km not g/km. I recently vrtd a car and the figure was 0.1 something but realise now that was grams, not milligrams.

Looks right going by revenues spreadsheet.i would steer clear of that A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

and the yearly motortax will be 790 as the calculated wltp figure is in band E instead of the current 400 rate if it was VRT'd before jan 1st

Ah.
    Knew vrt was hit. Didn't know tax was also taking it.
    Was thinking in 10 or 12 months I'll be changing.
    Need diesel. (lots mileage and diesel card)

Was thinking north would still be an option on a newer diesel as the gap to here mightn't be closed.

But if the tax is also going up.
    Say I buy an 18 or 19 diesel.
    Then in 2023 or so my imported car will have higher tax than an Irish one or one imported pre 2021??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

everlast75 wrote: »
    hey folks,

looking to change from a mark V gti (good offer made on her) and was looking at this

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Audi-A4-S-LINE-TDI-QUATTRO-A-278087166?search_type=1&make=1&fuel_type=0&age_from=0&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=102&trans_type=2&age_to=0&price_to=0&mileage_to=0&keywords=quattro&location%5B%5D=0&body_style=0

21k incl import duty

The A4 wouldn't normally appeal to me, but with it being the S line, black package, quattro and a V6, I am tempted.

Any views?

If you like how the GTi drives you'll be disappointed in the A4 imo. Buy a good MK7 GTi PP and you'll be very happy.

Ah.
    Knew vrt was hit. Didn't know tax was also taking it.
    Was thinking in 10 or 12 months I'll be changing.
    Need diesel. (lots mileage and diesel card)

Was thinking north would still be an option on a newer diesel as the gap to here mightn't be closed.

But if the tax is also going up.
    Say I but an 18 or 19 diesel.
    Then in 2023 or so my imported car will have higher tax than an Irish one or one imported per 2021??

a 2018 car probably already has WLTP co2 figure so would be the same co2 rate as a car already here before 2021 for motor tax.
    Only difference is it'll be paying the new VRT bands which come in jan 1st but no big deal there after you have your irish plate. Same with slightly more on NOX but a car that new will be euro6 emissions so fine there too.

But that's not taking into account any brexit related changes, I've no idea how that effects anything for you in 12 months time.
    This is just about our new VRT/NOX/WLTP stuff which would have happened this year brexit or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

a 2018 car probably already has WLTP co2 figure so would be the same co2 rate as a car already here before 2021 for motor tax.
    Only difference is it'll be paying the new VRT bands which come in jan 1st but no big deal there after you have your irish plate. Same with slightly more on NOX but a car that new will be euro6 emissions so fine there too.

But that's not taking into account any brexit related changes, I've no idea how that effects anything for you in 12 months time.
    This is just about our new VRT/NOX/WLTP stuff which would have happened this year brexit or not

Cheers. Yeah brought in a couple euro 6 diesels by now so ok on the NOX.

Knew the VRT was going up based on CO2 to WLTP conversion as above. Didn't realise it affected tax. You reckon tax was already off WLTP on cars with it?

Also it's been clarified than NI cars will be unchanged as per Brexit. Rest of Britain could be anything yet.
    Dunno how a GB cars becomes NI. One year up there, one month up there??

Cheers. Yeah brought in a couple euro 6 diesels by now so ok on the NOX.

Knew the VRT was going up based on CO2 to WLTP conversion as above. Didn't realise it affected tax. You reckon tax was already off WLTP on cars with it?

Also it's been clarified than NI cars will be unchanged as per Brexit. Rest of Britain could be anything yet.
    Dunno how a GB cars becomes NI. One year up there, one month up there??

I think I'm wrong actually and can't figure it out, there is going to be a new motor tax group for WLTP rate cars but I don't know if cars on the current co2 grouping will be moved over to that rate after jan 1st if they already had a WLTP emissions number...

so I'm not sure if a pre and post 2021 2018 model car could have a different tax rate. I presume they'll be moved to WLTP rates (new group) and it's just NEDC measured cars that stay on the Co2 system we already know...

too confusing for me to work out at the moment

They have to be making this unbelievably complicated on purpose.

It's unreal how impossible it is now to compare cars with all these rules, exceptions and formulas....not even funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭User1998

The VRT calculator will do everything for you in the new year. The problem now is that people are doing calculations for something that hasn’t been implemented yet

I don't think the vrt calculator will do anything special in the new year. If you're looking at a car that's not on the calculator that's a problem. If the car is on the calculator but you don't know it's Nox, that's going to be an issue. How do you know which measurement system the co2 was calculated on etc.

The new year is only a week away, doubt it'll be sorted by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I think he's still a bmw fan

I'd say he is given that he has placed an order for the new M3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

MM did you sell the 330d ? I noticed the ad is down. I'm was one of the people who had it in my favourites on Donedeal. :pac:

Advertisement