Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

A transporter passed me this morning coming from Dublin port with only BMWs on it, all on UK plates. I doubt any other dealer other than a BMW one is buying that many and such a varied mix of range. It had pretty much the best selling range loaded up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They are all at it, Mercedes as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

After looking at getting a new a6 and then test driving bmw phevs then resigning myself to getting nothing, myself and my brother bought a toy today, Mercedes SL500 2004. Our cousin did some work on it recently for the owner who he knew was selling it. I was going to get an e46 convertible but I've had 3 e46 cars over the years so didn't appeal.
    Just something completely different and even though my brother has no interest in cars really he was happy enough to share costs on this one. Will only be in sporadic use but I've the storage for it and purchase price wasn't very high so why not? The ultimate toy, will probably break our hearts but it's a beautiful machine. Will get it polished up and the few little scuffs on the wheels sorted and should be in great nick. 65,000 miles on it.

Picture...can't seem to upload more on single post

Some more

Some more

Last couple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Very very nice. A good investment

A very cool little bus :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lovely car.
    I always wonder are they something to have or a nightmare you dont need.
    By all accounts the SL55 is a money pit but this should be ok specially as you know something of its recent history.

• Advertisement

Thanks. As for investment, I'd have my doubts! Its about fun, even if its only the odd trip to west of Ireland in the summer. Could get 2 people and a little bit of luggage. We both have sensible daily cars and might never get to own something like this again.

But when you see the likes of this

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-mercedes-benz-sl-class-sl-500/24586583

Asking much much more than we paid theres a decent chance of getting a whack of it back at the very least. Not sure what the plan with it is really, it has to be nctd again fairly soon and obviously we are restricted in where we could go nowadays but maybe ready for the summer. Who knows. No holidays for a couple of years and no pints in the pub has paid for this easily enough.

mickdw wrote: »
    Lovely car.
    I always wonder are they something to have or a nightmare you dont need.
    By all accounts the SL55 is a money pit but this should be ok specially as you know something of its recent history.

I'm nearly 40 now so maybe it's a midlife crisis. It's just something I always wanted, loved the model before it and nearly bought one in my late 20s as a second car which would have been a mistake. The ones from the 90s and early 00s are significantly dearer now than they were then so they do go up in value, probably because they're coming into classic insurance territory.

Might turn out to be a nightmare, I will let you know! But with shared costs and being told it's in pretty good nick by someone that's always done me right advising when buying cars for over 10 years I was happy to take the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Always thought that was the best msrc design of the 00s, (SLR excluded)

Is the front lowered?

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'm nearly 40 now so maybe it's a midlife crisis. It's just something I always wanted, loved the model before it and nearly bought one in my late 20s as a second car which would have been a mistake. The ones from the 90s and early 00s are significantly dearer now than they were then so they do go up in value, probably because they're coming into classic insurance territory.

Might turn out to be a nightmare, I will let you know! But with shared costs and being told it's in pretty good nick by someone that's always done me right advising when buying cars for over 10 years I was happy to take the chance.

For sure each model SL goes up in value eventually and this one will be no different. Its a fantastic design. The 1980s SL took awhile to be sought after but worth alot of cash now.
    Lovely thing to have as a second car - the engine must be stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Any luck on my suggestion?

He found one but it had nowhere near the spec I was after plus it was 7 grand over budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

carsfan2 wrote: »
    but sometimes we get the urge to change especially if we don't particularly love the car we drive. Is it the size of the 530i that makes you keen to move it on?
    Waiting a few months won't make the cost to change any cheaper I think but now is obviously not a time when it is possible to go test driving.
    Have you thought beyond the 330e?

Spot on, and Size does matter :D in this case Carsfan... I think I just love the idea of a 5 rather than the actual driving experience, if that makes any sense?

Parking it in most busy carparks is a stressful exercise, especially given that I do really take care of the car and would hate to see any "dings" appear due to somebody else's carelessness. I might just hold on until say March and see where the market is then? Maybe my Crypto may have trebled by then, and I get a 440 :)

He found one but it had nowhere near the spec I was after plus it was 7 grand over budget.

Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

What are you looking for Metzgermeister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm assuming it's a M car of some variety.

• Advertisement

Always thought that was the best msrc design of the 00s, (SLR excluded)

Is the front lowered?

Front does look lowered alright...didn't really notice. Not that I know anything about these things at all!

For sure each model SL goes up in value eventually and this one will be no different. Its a fantastic design. The 1980s SL took awhile to be sought after but worth alot of cash now.
    Lovely thing to have as a second car - the engine must be stunning.

The engine has a lovely sound. I drove it about 20 mins yesterday then parked it up, it runs lovely. With 65000 miles and 16 years old it has never been anyone's daily.

Looked at vrt calculator they have new price down as 195k and price now for vrt purposes of only 5k after 97% depreciation rate applied. 37% vrt rate meaning its about 2k to vrt it. I paid 8k to buy it. Have to say, back to my days of feeling smug about buying high end older cars as my daily for buttons like the lads in luxobarge thread. Will probably throw a few quid at polishing exterior up to as new condition as possible but hopefully doesn't need much more.

Can't say I got a proper feel for it to be honest. Not sure what I'm expecting, more a tourer than a sports car I'd say.

There's no tax on it and plenty of ice around so won't get to enjoy it properly for a little while. It's a summer car, maybe get it on the road for 6 months April to October or something.

The engine has a lovely sound. I drove it about 20 mins yesterday then parked it up, it runs lovely. There's no tax on it and plenty of ice around so won't get to enjoy it properly for a little while.

Something like that id be tempted to tax it for the summer only and keep it indoors for the winter.

Something like that id be tempted to tax it for the summer only and keep it indoors for the winter.

Yeah exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Front does look lowered alright...didn't really notice. Not that I know anything about these things at all!

If its been running for a while does it raise up? Have you checked the level changes with the button on the dash, it should rasie the car by 20mm or something.

I'm not familiar with the SL to be fair but I think they have ABC and not airmatic but could be wrong. Some people mod the suspension level linkage to fool the cars and drop them that way.

For peace of mind I'd establish if its actually lowered or if its sinking down. If it is ABC and there isn't a record of a flush and filter change I'd get that done as maintaining the system makes sense in the long run and can save a lot of money.

Fantastic machines, well wear.

traco wrote: »
    If its been running for a while does it raise up? Have you checked the level changes with the button on the dash, it should rasie the car by 20mm or something.

I'm not familiar with the SL to be fair but I think they have ABC and not airmatic but could be wrong. Some people mod the suspension level linkage to fool the cars and drop them that way.

For peace of mind I'd establish if its actually lowered or if its sinking down. If it is ABC and there isn't a record of a flush and filter change I'd get that done as maintaining the system makes sense in the long run and can save a lot of money.

Fantastic machines, well wear.

Like you I don't know much about them either this is a bit of a punt to be honest, although an educated punt through a recommendation.

It's abc as far as I know. One question I asked was whether suspension was in good shape (along with electrics, gearbox and engine) as I know people that had s class and serious problems with the complex suspension setups and I assumed this had a similarly complex system.
    I was told by my mechanic that suspension was fine and electrics too. Gearbox and engine and bulletproof apparently, we will see.

I'll check tomorrow if it's lower than standard but I don't think it's failing anyway. The car will get whatever it needs whenever it needs it, I had bigger budget in mind to change my own car to a new one so won't begrudge throwing a few quid at it. I know its not low budget motoring even though it was relatively low budget purchase .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

I've a W2220 & W221 S Class so am familiar with Mercs, one is airmatitic and one is ABC but as I said I don't really know the specifics of this model.

They are great machines even when things aren't 100%. Looks like you have a nice example so take the time with it and you will be rewarded. Even by today's standards these high end models are something special.

The more you know about it the more you'll appreciate it. I've a list of jobs on mine and each one that is sorted improves the experience hugely so well.worth the effort.

AidenL wrote: »
    I’m collecting a 530e XDrive next week. Reading this thread, I’m getting the jitters that I should have stretched to a 545e.....

AidenL, did you pick up or have your car delivered to you in the end?
    How was the buying process done and are you happy with your choice?

I was interested in that white M4 Hughes Motors have for sale. Turns out it doesn't have the Harmon Kardon sound so it's off the list now.

There's very little by way of what I want and within budget out there. Thanks to Brexit it has put the kibosh on importing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Beshoffs have a nice low mileage black M4 at the minute, don't know what the spec is like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I recently asked a salesman in a BMW dealer if they would source a car from the UK for me and he said that they didn't do that in order to protect the Irish market.

:confused:

That’s odd. I actually had a BMW dealer suggest to me that they import from the uk as they didn’t have what I was looking for. Suppose it depends on the dealer.

• Advertisement

The one in Beshoff's has the H/K sound system alright but they are asking 4k more and it's a year older.

Easiest way to tell if it has the H/K sound system is check for the H/K tweeter speakers on the inside of where the door mirrors join the door frame:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe902511a11689ef35d89da48405c830270.jpg

bazz26 wrote: »
    The one in Beshoff's has the H/K sound system alright but they are asking 4k more and it's a year older.

Easiest way to tell if it has the H/K sound system is check for the H/K tweeter speakers on the inside of where the door mirrors join the door frame:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe902511a11689ef35d89da48405c830270.jpg

I'm aware :D

The pics on done deal didn't show this area at all. The pic of the interior stopped just before the tweeters on both sides. It was only by looking at the ad on carzone that you can see they are missing. I didn't think to check the carzone ad as I didn't think there would be this extra pic.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Beshoffs have a nice low mileage black M4 at the minute, don't know what the spec is like

I saw that. The spec is good (has HK!) but I'm not sure it's worth the asking price despite the low mileage.

It could be an option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Possibly outside budget but this is the best value m4 currently for sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-m4-competition-pack-m-twinpower-turbo-dct-aut/26155431

All important competition pack and about 10-12k cheaper than equivalent year bmw dealers.

Wailin wrote: »
    Possibly outside budget but this is the best value m4 currently for sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-m4-competition-pack-m-twinpower-turbo-dct-aut/26155431

All important competition pack and about 10-12k cheaper than equivalent year bmw dealers.

16k over budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd agree the HK system is decent, and although I haven't been in an f series without it I did have an e series without it and spent some money on an amp and speakers as it was terrible.

On an M car though it may be less important? Spending thousands more to get that option sounds excessive, but then to counter that a car that has the right options will hold that value and be an easier sell. The fact you're put off by it, future potential buyers could be put off equally and it could be harder to shift when the time comes. Hard to know what to do, but I guess looking at those blank tweeter covers would crack me up in such a premium car.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'd agree the HK system is decent, and although I haven't been in an f series without it I did have an e series without it and spent some money on an amp and speakers as it was terrible.

On an M car though it may be less important? Spending thousands more to get that option sounds excessive, but then to counter that one that has the right options will hold that value and be an easier sell. The fact your put off by its a sense will prob repeat for future potential buyers if you did buy it. Hard to know what to do, but I guess looking at those blank tweeter covers would crack me up in such a premium car.

Music means the world to me and I know that if I did buy that M4 I would always regret it. Your point about future potential buyers is a valid one also. if I'm put off, others will be also.

It even has HUD so why the original UK buyer scrimped on HK is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve HK on my 1 series and thought it was average at best. I upgraded with Eton speakers front and rear and it’s now awesome. I wouldn’t buy a M4 without it either tbh.

maddness wrote: »
    I’ve HK on my 1 series and thought it was average at best. I upgraded with Eton speakers front and rear and it’s now awesome. I wouldn’t buy a M4 without it either tbh.

Whatever about it being average, it's a hell of a lot better than the basic system.

I found it very good myself.

Standard sound system in every BMW seems to be rubbish.
    A nice car like m4 needs the HK at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Whatever about it being average, it's a hell of a lot better than the basic system.

I found it very good myself.

In fairness I’d the HK in my 4GC and it was a lot better than the one in the 1 Series. Bmw don’t put in the same standard of speakers on the 1/2 series.

I'd not buy a BMW without HK, not because it's great but the standard is crap. My e90 years ago was standard and ****e but the 4 series we have with standard sound is reasonably decent compared. Still not the best mind you. We had another car in the family with HK and it wasn't much to write home about but an improvement.
    Nothing will beat the dolby 5.1 system I had in my Volvo though. Had a bose in an Audi and it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

How difficult would a retrofit be? If you are happy with the car otherwise it may be an option..

hooch-85 wrote: »
    How difficult would a retrofit be? If you are happy with the car otherwise it may be an option..

From what I read, quite difficult. It needs different cabling and cables need to be run from the front to the back of the car. Also it's a 12 speaker and 2 amp system so there would be cutting of holes involved. I love cars and working on them from a detailing, servicing and DIY perspective but I absolutely despise electrical work.

I'd much rather just buy one with it already there than having to buy the whole system and pay someone to install it if I even found someone to do it.

On a side note, in my last 5 Series the H/K amp in the boot fried because of moisture forming in the boot compartment where it is located. These amps get very hot and its a very common problem with them to blow if even the slightest moisture forms in the boot compartment. The problem is that if the H/K system fails then it means your bluetooth, radio and other idrive features won't work until it's fixed as they are all networked together. I had to wait months to source a second hand amp. I searched the likes of ebay and even second hand ones were 1k plus from the likes of Poland and Latvia. I eventually found one for sale in Dublin from a guy who rolled his 5 Series and was breaking it for parts. Even though I got it a very good price from him I had to buy the entire loud speaker system as nobody would want to buy the remaining parts if the amp was missing.

In saying all that I'd find it unbearable to endure a base sound system in a BMW, they really are terrible and probably designed that way so that you tick the upgrade system from the options list.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

My M4 still hasn't been transferred to a new private owner, it's been registered to a dealer(Barnes Autohouse I believe) since the start of December. Might be worth messaging them to see if they still have it/are willing to sell? The dealer could be driving it for a while or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Did they really sell M4s without HK?

Did you actually confirm that it’s not there rather than missing from the spec list by error?

conor-w wrote: »
    My M4 still hasn't been transferred to a new private owner, it's been registered to a dealer(Barnes Autohouse I believe) since the start of December. Might be worth messaging them to see if they still have it/are willing to sell? The dealer could be driving it for a while or something.

Thanks for that Conor. I rang them this morning, was talking to Ross and he said that it's sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

carsfan2 wrote: »
    AidenL, did you pick up or have your car delivered to you in the end?
    How was the buying process done and are you happy with your choice?

I picked it up in the end. As it was a preexisting order, it was exempt.

All deliveries from this week on had to be literally delivered, no collections allowed I was told. There was a significant Garda checkpoint right outside the dealership, so things were being rigidly enforced.

It wasn't a normal collection experience, no coffee, no snooping around the showroom, even signing the finance documents took place outside.

I'll put a few quick pics up on the 2011 thread.

• Advertisement

AidenL wrote: »
    I picked it up in the end. As it was a preexisting order, it was exempt.

All deliveries from this week on had to be literally delivered, no collections allowed I was told. There was a significant Garda checkpoint right outside the dealership, so things were being rigidly enforced.

It wasn't a normal collection experience, no coffee, no snooping around the showroom, even signing the finance documents took place outside.

I'll put a few quick pics up on the 2011 thread.

Very interesting.
    Was that the first time the dealer got to physically inspect your trade in? Potential for a nasty surprise if everything not agreed beforehand.
    How’s the new car so far?
    Well wear. Looks great. Same colour combo as my 5 series.

Advertisement