Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Would you go for a 7 series, similar money to the 6, some seem to be better value, and would have most of the toys and the space? The last model isn't a bad looking one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hasn't the 7 series a smaller boot than the 5 series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

7 would be a bit too big for what I need.

I never thought these would be as nice as they look! Wouldn't want a 150bhp car though.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/used-2017-171-983571983515-westmeath-fpa-854723692461933992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

MarkN wrote: »

I never thought these would be as nice as they look! Wouldn't want a 150bhp car though.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/used-2017-171-983571983515-westmeath-fpa-854723692461933992

Exterior, yes. Interior, no.

Friend got one, overall very nice car I do like it. They will sell well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A superb is nowhere near the same kind of car as 5er nevermind a 640d. If the 635d is leaving you wanting, a superb simply won't cut the mustard.

The pictures don't do this car justice but the L&K interior is a really nice place to
    be, this is the only one I can see for sale, I just found this vehicle on Carzone.ie http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/used-2016-161-983571983515-limerick-fpa-3706393130810367192

More on the l&k http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/superb/design they seem pretty rare, was very impressed when I sat in one in an Audi/Volkswagen garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

€40k for a Skoda Superb diesel manual? :o

€42k would have you in a brand new Alfa Giulia with an auto box as standard..

How about a 435i from the UK or something? Tax isn't too expensive on those...

166man wrote: »
    €40k for a Skoda Superb diesel manual? :o

€42k would have you in a brand new Alfa Giulia with an auto box as standard..

How about a 435i from the UK or something? Tax isn't too expensive on those...

There's a new 440i which might help to send prices of the 435i down. In my experience having driven a 4 series GC luxury quite a bit, they are very unforgiving ride wise, love to tramline and are quite claustrophobic inside. The back doors are minuscule and wouldn't lend themselves much better to small children and car seats than the 2 door.

With ride quality in mind, a long journey in the 4 series invariably sees at least one of the passengers green with motion sickness which is not great seeing as you are getting rid of the 6 with your kids as a primary reason.

A 335i might be the best of both worlds, they are as big as an e39 pretty much now so may be that bit more workable especially in super sleeper touring form.

Not really considering the Superb for reasons some of you have pointed out that I would've felt myself but it's a good looking car considering the previous model. An ad for them popped up on Carzone as I was looking.

M&G have a 440i think it's 2016. Big enough money though. I have looked at a few 4 series coupes and the prices of them in the UK alright. Same two door problem although as I said before, I can still live with two doors, was just worth mentioning that I do have a reason to consider 4 door.

The Alfa looks very nice in white, for the money though I think the GTI would be more for me. Not as rare as the Alfa. I want to test drive a GTI this weekend anyway and either rule it in or out.

I do keep coming back to the 640, as do most of you lot. I feel that later in the year could be a better time to get one though as they'll be going for 30k.

I never thought these would be as nice as they look! Wouldn't want a 150bhp car though...............

As you are doing low mileage and presumably lots/most of that urban I think you'd find a 4 cylinder, manual diesel like that an absolute pig of a thing after a few weeks :)

And over 2 years you'll defo drop €16k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I do keep coming back to the 640, as do most of you lot. I feel that later in the year could be a better time to get one though as they'll be going for 30k.

Definitely new 6 series though could you get a petrol one from the UK...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Superb is available in a 2.0 TSI.. 280bhp..

mloc123 wrote: »
    Superb is available in a 2.0 TSI.. 280bhp..

Yeah but it's still a skoda ;) there's no way he's going from a BMW to a skoda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

All roads lead back to BMW 6 series it seems in this thread.
    However why not take Audi A7 for a spin? Would be more practical especially with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Yeah but it's still a skoda ;) there's no way he's going from a BMW to a skoda.

Golf GTI probably isn't gonna do much for him either in that case. Really sounds like the OP wont be happy in anything other than a 6er or a well specced 5 series.

Personally, Always loved the Merc CLS, especially this vintage. Worth at least testing one, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

carsfan2 wrote: »
    All roads lead back to BMW 6 series it seems in this thread.
    However why not take Audi A7 for a spin? Would be more practical especially with kids.

I see this ending in 6 series eventually too. Hard enough to leave a brand you are happy with. My dad always had Land Rover, I have had BMW for 15 years bar one trip into Alfa Romeo, I have an uncle will not look at anything except Merc, friends on their 4th or 5th golf and families driving only Toyota or Ford for generations now.

MarkN will find the right deal that suits him, remember the newer 6 series falling more thousands this year than his one is closing the cost to change gap.

GavMan wrote: »
    Golf GTI probably isn't gonna do much for him either in that case. Really sounds like the OP wont be happy in anything other than a 6er or a well specced 5 series.

Personally, Always loved the Merc CLS, especially this vintage. Worth at least testing one, Mark

I did see a grey 161 one the other day with serious wheels on it and it looked very well.

I do have a little soft spot for GTIs, I've had 3 of them in the past so they still grab my interest but as BMWGUY said, you really do get stuck into brands and get very twitchy about changing and the fear of regretting a move when so much money is involved.

Even the guy in M&G said to me when I suggested saving a few more for a G30 that my car is not going to massively drop if much at all over the next few months due to it being a diesel one.

So with the price of sterling today, you can land a 2013 640D for about €36,000. A 2012 is very low 30s. 40k here give or take for a 2012 and 45+ for a decent 2013. Hmmm.

3.jpg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/bmw/6-series/coupe/640d-m-sport-2d-auto/for-sale/usedcfs-209004544910538/

So with the price of sterling today, you can land a 2013 640D for about €36,000. A 2012 is very low 30s. 40k here give or take for a 2012 and 45+ for a decent 2013. Hmmm.

3.jpg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/bmw/6-series/coupe/640d-m-sport-2d-auto/for-sale/usedcfs-209004544910538/

Looks lovely but you still have to get rid of your own at a price you can live with unless you trade in.
    Did you get prices for a gti after?
    Personally would go bmw over a gti.

• Advertisement

whats stopping you then?!

Gotta sell my own first.. it's not up long.

Got a price on a GTI, better trade in than BMW but VW give more margin on the car.

The trade in for my car isn't what they're actually buying my car in for though so I'd still be about €2,000 out of pocket.

VW announcing around April 3rd what their 172 offers are so no point doing much until then if I were to go GTI route. It'll also work out cheaper driving a brand new GTI over a 4/5 year old 640D but we've thrashed that one out plenty of times now. :)

Anyway if I can get in and around the right money for mine, a U.K. 640 really would be the way to go over an Irish one I think.

Gotta sell my own first.. it's not up long.

Got a price on a GTI, better trade in than BMW but VW give more margin on the car.

The trade in for my car isn't what they're actually buying my car in for though so I'd still be about €2,000 out of pocket.

VW announcing around April 3rd what their 172 offers are so no point doing much until then if I were to go GTI route. It'll also work out cheaper driving a brand new GTI over a 4/5 year old 640D but we've thrashed that one out plenty of times now. :)

Anyway if I can get in and around the right money for mine, a U.K. 640 really would be the way to go over an Irish one I think.

You'll pull up a set of lights beside a 640d in your GTI and within an hour of getting home you'll be posting a thread about trading your GTI in for a 6er. If you want a 6 series, get a 6 series. Don't settle for a GTI or a 520d or even a 430d if your heart is telling you all of the time it wants a 640d.

I agree with James Bond jnr.
    Get a 6 series.

Pratacality wise with the babba does the Golf trump the BMW's, I know it's smaller but is it actually bigger if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Golfs have a tiny boot, missus has one and not worth crap when putting prams etc in them. 6 series is huge, surely the boot is ample enough in them with the length of the car? The grand coupe would be better again with the extra doors and spacious interior.

• Advertisement

The boot in the 6 is huge yep. Never had an issue, it's not overly deep but it goes back far into the car.

I hear what you're saying about 6 V GTI. I'll leave it in the lap of the Carzone Gods and see if there's any bites on mine and then I can go from there. I'm about to extend the warranty on mine for another year now anyway as it is up on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

A years warranty will be a big selling point on the 635d, Mark.

Have you got it on donedeal? I knows its on Carzone but their traffic is so small compared to donedeal. :)

166man wrote: »
    A years warranty will be a big selling point on the 635d, Mark.

Have you got it on donedeal? I knows its on Carzone but their traffic is so small compared to donedeal. :)

I haven't as I figured the type of person who is gonna drop that sort of money on a 9 year old car is a Carzone user more than DD but maybe I'm way off there?

I haven't as I figured the type of person who is gonna drop that sort of money on a 9 year old car is a Carzone user more than DD but maybe I'm way off there?

Yes. For the sake of a fiver pop it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wherever you advertise it Mark, you will be dealing with a percentage of tyre kickers, test pilots and scam artists. The joys of selling privately unfortunately.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Wherever you advertise it Mark, you will be dealing with a percentage of tyre kickers, test pilots and scam artists. The joys of selling privately unfortunately.

Thankfully from years of experience in my line of work, I am pretty good at sussing a spoofer over the phone. I'll keep it rather than drop the price by any huge amount so I'll be clear to any potential buyer before I waste their time or mine. It's worth 15/16 on a trade in for the next 6 months approx according to any salesperson / trader I've spoken to over the last few weeks so I'll sit tight unless it is washing its face from a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The 640d is wrecking my head too still.
    While I was considering 45 to
    50k cars new on pcp,
    I'm thinking buying outright, I would be limited to circa 30k.
    I'm not trading in so have realised I'd be silly to be anything here... I will take my chances on donedeal when I have next car here.
    Not quite sure what to do. 640d is just alittle too much.
    Also like CLS mercedes but it's a totally different machine. Would be looking at a 2013 on of those.

30k would get you a decent A7 Quattro in the UK Mick or are you looking to go away from Audi this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

On the used end of things it's 640d, Cls or A7 as first choices.
    Then onto stuff like e350, 530d.
    Must have another look at the pricing on the A7 again.

mickdw wrote: »
    On the used end of things it's 640d, Cls or A7 as first choices.
    Then onto stuff like e350, 530d.
    Must have another look at the pricing on the A7 again.

I was looking at a7's on auto trader over the weekend and they are creeping into the low £20k's.

mickdw wrote: »
    The 640d is wrecking my head too still.
    While I was considering 45 to
    50k cars new on pcp,
    I'm thinking buying outright, I would be limited to circa 30k.
    I'm not trading in so have realised I'd be silly to be anything here... I will take my chances on donedeal when I have next car here.
    Not quite sure what to do. 640d is just alittle too much.
    Also like CLS mercedes but it's a totally different machine. Would be looking at a 2013 on of those.

I am in a definite minority but love the look of the cls shooting brake especially in amg line. Very rare car to find here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'd just assumed you were talking about a 640d Grand Coupe?

I'd just assumed you were talking about a 640d Grand Coupe?

don't think so, everything he's linked so far is 3 door

I much prefer the coupe in the 6. Had the dealer onto me pushing that 430 again a while ago. Very keen to close on it before tomorrow. I'm not prepared to take a hit of €2,000 on my own.

• Advertisement

What's their best deal on that 430?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Mark I don't really understand. Why 2k gets you hung up. Depreciation will be several k a year more on the cars you are liking at. if money matters that much. Why change in first place?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Mark I don't really understand. Why 2k gets you hung up. Depreciation will be several k a year more on the cars you are liking at. if money matters that much. Why change in first place?

I owe €2,000 more on mine than they're willing to write me a cheque for basically. I don't have car finance on my 6 that can be just topped up. I want to clear it before starting another term with BMW.

Cost of change is €33,000.

But how much is extending the warranty on your 635 for the next year?

But how much is extending the warranty on your 635 for the next year?

€500 with an increased excess.

So if you change and don't renew warranty you're down 1500 euro. Tax is lower too on the 430D. So you save a few hundred here too. What are the tyres like on your car vs. the 430?
    I'm sure there are plenty of other man maths savings that could be applied if you wanted that 430. Also if push comes to shove there might be more in the BMW sales man.

All this only applies if you want the car obviously!

So if you change and don't renew warranty you're down 1500 euro. Tax is lower too on the 430D. So you save a few hundred here too. What are the tyres like on your car vs. the 430?
    I'm sure there are plenty of other man maths savings that could be applied if you wanted that 430. Also if push comes to shove there might be more in the BMW sales man.

All this only applies if you want the car obviously!

Tax cheaper, tyres possibly cheaper (shouldn't do the miles to even have to worry about that), free servicing etc if he gave me another €1,000 for mine and kept the repayments as quoted I'd feel like I was getting a decent deal.

I'm looking at almost the same car in Wexford, they also have a 2012 640D, their 430 has slightly less spec but is a couple of grand cheaper.

Got a text from the sales guy I bought mine from a year ago, asking me how the car is going and would I be interested in trading up. Didn't bother replying but I'm expecting them to move onto calling next time. New BMW sales must really be taking a beating.

They have more margin on used cars than new ones so if I were you Mark, I'd wait a bit longer. The rate of depreciation on your 635d is slowing down compared to a nearly new 430d.

I'm looking forward to seeing sales figures for the first three months alright.
    Reckon bmw will be way back on merc and Audi.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to seeing sales figures for the first three months alright.
    Reckon bmw will be way back on merc and Audi.

Apparently they had a boat load coming in this week but it has been pushed back due the ship being damaged en route. I wonder would this reflect in their sales figures? The chap I was talking to was due to take delivery of a 520d xdrive but has had to wait an extra week or so.

Advertisement