Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Here's a M135i I was looking at earlier. Would prefer the model after it but wouldn't say no to it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-bmw-m135i-auto-financelook/24857361

I think I'd have to go manual though.

It's a bit expensive for a 2013 model though isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

hooch-85 wrote: »

I dunno tbh. There's not many over here to compare them to. I'll admit Sarsfield can be pricy.

hooch-85 wrote: »

From a dealer I'd not expect to see it cheaper TBH.
    Someone on here sold a 2014 gti for similar money privately iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Augeo wrote: »
    From a dealer I'd not expect to see it cheaper TBH.
    Someone on here sold a 2014 gti for similar money privately iirc.

Here's another one but no price out in Belgard

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-bmw-m135i-315bhp-manual/24985766

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Doesn’t have the adaptive head lights you’re looking for, though beautiful car.
    I have the folding tow bar it’s a nifty Party trick alright.

Very rare to see adaptive lights on the 3 series, any generation. They are essential on the G30 because they transform the look of the car. Not so much on the 3 series though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Too much black in that 330d for me.

I note the comments about the M340i with the chrome and the smaller wheels, but that's exactly what makes it appealing to me. With BMWs it's all about the little details, like the twin exhausts and chrome grilles for a six cylinder engine in an E46 or E9X, one exhaust pipe on either side a 335i/340i/435i/440i for the F3X generation. I only want an enthusiast to know it's something a little different to your average 3 series, don't really believe in attracting undue attention to the scum of the earth.

Also, the G20 is designed specifically around 18 inch wheels. The engineers fought (and won) the battle against marketing, who wanted 19s on the M Sport / M Performance models as standard.

The engineers wanted 18s because it would lead to lower unsprung mass, and thus better handling and obviously smaller wheels lead to a better ride, too. The engineers know best so I'd stick with what the car was designed for - the 18s. In any case, nobody wants a car with wheelbarrow wheels, but 18 inch wheels are hardly dinky little things even by today's standards.

The G30 5 series on the other hand does look a little lost on 18s, which just goes to show how mad things have gotten - an E34 or an E39 filled the arches quite nicely with 'only' 17 inch wheels, the standard wheel was 15 inches back in the day of the E39 and E34.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Would you consider a 540i? There are some really high spec 2017 models for sale in the UK at the moment, would be around the 42-43k mark when you import them I think.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006130091816?atmobcid=soc5

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006120056559?atmobcid=soc5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

digiman wrote: »
    Would you consider a 540i? There are some really high spec 2017 models for sale in the UK at the moment, would be around the 42-43k mark when you import them I think.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006130091816?atmobcid=soc5

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006120056559?atmobcid=soc5

They would be fantastic and I’d absolutely love one. You’d own it for ever though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

maddness wrote: »
    Buying in the U.K. I’d a buyer for my old car and an automatic. I’ve a bad back and an auto helps a lot. Pro Nav, HK sound but no adaptive suspension.

You buying from main dealer ?
    How are you bringing it over considering travelling restrictions etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

bazz26 wrote: »

Could you justify and go for this one? Would be at least 10k more I’d say but I think the white merino in this one would make a huge difference to the interior and tanzanite blue is the best colour in my opinion. Has every extra you could want as well with very low miles and a 2 year warranty to go with it

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006029729638?minimum-badge-engine-size=2.6&advertising-location=at_cars&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&keywords=Merino&year-from=2018&postcode=bt11aa&model=4%20SERIES%20GRAN%20COUPE&page=1&make=BMW&fuel-type=Petrol&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Wouldn't be me that's buying but that is one of the best 4 Series examples and colour combos I've seen.

If you buy any big engined petrol in this country you're going to be married to it, so you might as well buy the one you actually like.

If you buy any big engined petrol in this country you're going to be married to it, so you might as well buy the one you actually like.

Yeah but I think while the 440i In Bolands was a good value straight buy, I think at a higher budget There are better options. I wouldn’t go all out for the high spec one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭td2008

Surely you would go for an M4 at the 40K mark? Think it would be easier to sell down the line too

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chalky_ie

You will lose a tonne of money on any non M BMW with a decent sized engine, no matter how you pick it to try and combat that. It has happened to me previously, you can find a lovely example that is good on tax etc. etc. thinking there will be someone out there that will pay an acceptable price when you do want to shift it, but in reality, because it's a normal BMW, you will be competing against people that won't put it up for anywhere near the price you want, because they don't value it like you would(as a car enthusiast).

They dictate the market price with their low priced examples(they can be crap examples, doesn't matter), and you get shafted. Bringing one in from the UK is the only way to offset this loss a small bit, but it still is going to be painful when it comes time to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't agree with you on the non m BMW's, I'd no bother selling 530d's non mspec but they were a lot better specified than m versions. The m isn't for everyone, depending on the spec it can be a harsh ride and very dark inside. Irish spec M's are usually poorly specced beyond the m kit.

I wouldn't agree with you on the non m BMW's, I'd no bother selling 530d's non mspec but they were a lot better specified than m versions. The m isn't for everyone, depending on the spec it can be a harsh ride and very dark inside. Irish spec M's are usually poorly specced beyond the m kit.

I think the chap is referring to actual M cars and not M spec.
    Also, I doubt he's thinking about 530ds.

I think the chap is referring to actual M cars and not M spec.
    Also, I doubt he's thinking about 530ds.

I think he's on about M Spec, An M is an M, there's no non M version of them.

• Advertisement

conor-w wrote: »
    You will lose a tonne of money on any non M BMW with a decent sized engine........................

He's on about anything that's not an M :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he means 335i 540i. hard to find and hard to sell

Proper M car is the all out performance model M3/4/5 etc.
    Last few years they have diluted it with sub brand of lesser performance cars like the m340i/m135i/m550i etc.
    Lastly there are the purely cosmetic M sport spec cars that are the same mechanically as the se equivalent just look more sporty. These are very popular.
    I think Conor is saying unless it's the proper M version you lose a shed load on depreciation.
    I would disagree as the proper M cars lose a fortune residually too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭td2008

The bottom is very low for a non m car though.
    E46, E92 models - the depreciation curve was a lot stepper on the big engined ones compared to the M's from my experience

I just watched Markn’s model 3 review there.
    Forget about 440i’s the future is electric Wailin.

Good honest review from Mark. Very well put together. Much better at this stage then the Irish competition in my view.

I dunno, watched it last night the only car he compared it to was a Model S, if you look at Mark Watson, loved it as well but he's got a 911, RS6 estate and and Suzuki Jimmy as his own cars.

Question is if Mark had 74k to spend, would he drop it on performance Tesla 3 series over any other car...

It has a lot of competition on the way, the Mustang will be just as quick with a longer range, the model Y, Polestar and what ever else pops up. Its a difficult time to buy an expensive car if you care about depreciation.

I still can't warm to the door handles, been in and out of one a few times over the weekend, I'm used to the button for getting out but it's still awkward to get in.

• Advertisement

That Model 3 does nothing for me anyway, irrespective of how many novelties it has or how fast it is. I'll stick to the old combustion engine for as long as I can. They would want to sort our their quality control though, some amateurishly poor build quality there left out of a factor on a 70k car in this day and age.

................. the Mustang will be just as quick with a longer range.........

The Mustang is the only EV that appeals to me. I'd not be able to throw 50k at a Tesla with their "dealer" set up and I don't think I could trust one tbh.

Mustang might turn out to be a POS though with Tesla levels of poor build quality as the ICE Mustang in RHD isn't overly impressive build quality wise.

If the i4 wasn't so ugly that could be a runner, will be eye wateringly expensive, though. I like the Taycan also but again it's stupidly expensive and the range isn't great.

I'm talking about petrol 340/440/540 etc. vs an actual M car. Nothing to do with what spec is on the car.

Proper M car is the all out performance model M3/4/5 etc.
    Last few years they have diluted it with sub brand of lesser performance cars like the m340i/m135i/m550i etc.
    Lastly there are the purely cosmetic M sport spec cars that are the same mechanically as the se equivalent just look more sporty. These are very popular.
    I think Conor is saying unless it's the proper M version you lose a shed load on depreciation.
    I would disagree as the proper M cars lose a fortune residually too I think.

Oh you'll lose a lot of money regardless really, but the M cars will hold their value much better than anything else(regardless of spec), and won't be as affected by people putting up horrendous examples for nothing(because there are relatively few of them, and the target market has a better understanding of their value).

Obviously no BMW is going to be good for you financially in the grand scheme of things, unless it's one that you import and keep for a very short time(using the diff between UK and Ireland prices to your advantage), or keep it for such a long time and in such good condition that it becomes valuable :D. I really don't see the sense in buying cars like the 440 though these days, I'm sure if you calculated at the end of ownership you would be better off financially in an M car, and obviously a lot happier! I'm purely talking about used cars here, M cars from new in Ireland are a complete waste of money IMO.

• Advertisement

That Model 3 does nothing for me anyway, irrespective of how many novelties it has or how fast it is. I'll stick to the old combustion engine for as long as I can. They would want to sort our their quality control though, some amateurishly poor build quality there left out of a factor on a 70k car in this day and age.

It’s the quality and after sales that puts me off otherwise I think I would jump into one next.
    Tesla lovers say that we are missing the point when you mention these things.
    If I lived in Dublin with handy access to Sandyford where they are based I would be tempted but I can’t take time off to go to Dublin for repairs or warranty work.
    I am seeing an increasing number of model 3’s around limerick and Tipperary though.

I just watched Markn’s model 3 review there.
    Forget about 440i’s the future is electric Wailin.

Call me an old dinosaur but I just do not like tesla or electric cars. I won't buy one until I am forced to by government legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

conor-w wrote: »
    Oh you'll lose a lot of money regardless really, but the M cars will hold their value much better than anything else(regardless of spec), and won't be as affected by people putting up horrendous examples for nothing(because there are relatively few of them, and the target market has a better understanding of their value).

Obviously no BMW is going to be good for you financially in the grand scheme of things, unless it's one that you import and keep for a very short time(using the diff between UK and Ireland prices to your advantage), or keep it for such a long time and in such good condition that it becomes valuable :D. I really don't see the sense in buying cars like the 440 though these days, I'm sure if you calculated at the end of ownership you would be better off financially in an M car, and obviously a lot happier! I'm purely talking about used cars here, M cars from new in Ireland are a complete waste of money IMO.

I agree. I know they're chalk and cheese to those in the know, but that 440i looks identical to a 420d (exhaust layout apart) and when you go to sell it you're up against the 420d's that have a much broader mass appeal. To a non-motor head its a BMW with a big petrol engine so you will be married to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Wailin wrote: »
    Call me an old dinosaur but I just do not like tesla or electric cars. I won't buy one until I am forced to by government legislation.

Which won't be long if the newly formed government have their way. The Green Party are back :eek:

Talk of banning all used petrol/diesel imports by 2030!

So basically Wailin needs to buy a full fat M car.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I agree. I know they're chalk and cheese to those in the know, but that 440i looks identical to a 420d (exhaust layout apart) and when you go to sell it you're up against the 420d's that have a much broader mass appeal. To a non-motor head its a BMW with a big petrol engine so you will be married to it.

The thing is though, if you are buying a 440i or similar it’s because you love cars and it’s not really a rational purchase. If we all worried about what our next car will be worth when it’s time to sell it then none of us would have interesting/fast cars and would be in the same sh1te as the majority of motorists in Ireland.

No not just Wallin, everyone posting here does!

I think when you have spent that sort of money on a car you kind of have to convince yourself that these things are minuscule. Everyone does it, Tesla fanboys are no different. However the tech these cars have is great and all but you have to get the basic fundamentals right first. Bits of trim hanging off and panels not properly painted are things that should be caught and fixed at the factory these days and not something a customer or press reviewer should be expecting to see when picking up a brand new car. You might get away with that on a Dacia but not on a 50k or 70k car.

I never think of the next owner when buying a car, which, financially, probably isn't the best outlook but that's just me :o

A 340i, 440i, 540i would be grand ;)

• Advertisement

This seems reasonably priced for a one year old 7 series.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2019-bmw-740e-m-sport-hybrid-massive-spec/25014305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

old model though

It's so clean it could almost be dry cleaned. :D

That dealer seems to get nice metal alright...
    I think I would steer clear.

Things must be selling well though. Conlans have increased the price of the 18 530d x drive they have by 5k since the weekend.now 54k

He should buy whatever he wants, he obviously knows everything I've said and it doesn't bother him. I would be buying whatever car I can get that will help buy even more stupid cars down the line haha. Moving from high spec/large engine models of the normal cars on a semi regular basis doesn't facilitate that very well, unless you're loaded and really don't give a ****e about pouring money down the drain! My brain is far more receptive to spending on something special over what amounts to a nice 3 series for the most part, makes the man maths much easier to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

2 litre petrol 7 series - does not compute :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭supue

I think the 740e has more bhp versus the 530e - low 300+ bhp for the 740 versus ~250bhp for the 530e. 2 litre doesn't seem right for such a big car, but the boost from the hybrid helps.

It's so clean it could almost be dry cleaned. :D

Doesn't look too bad to be fair......European Prestige Sales Limited was set up on Thursday the 15th of December 2016. Their current partial address is Co. Kildare, and the company status is Normal. The company's current director has been the director of 0 other Irish companies. European Prestige Sales Limited has 1 shareholder.............. John Lambert Managing Director at European Prestige Sales ltd

Doesn't look too bad to be fair......European Prestige Sales Limited was set up on Thursday the 15th of December 2016. Their current partial address is Co. Kildare, and the company status is Normal. The company's current director has been the director of 0 other Irish companies. European Prestige Sales Limited has 1 shareholder.............. John Lambert Managing Director at European Prestige Sales ltd

and he's actually filed a few annual returns, so there not a dodgy drimnagh pop up shop. I know a chap bought a piece of crap off him and he swapped it for another car without a whole lot of bother did take a little push though.

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    2 litre petrol 7 series - does not compute :eek::pac:

Not for me, no. A 7 series is too big. I just thought I'd throw it up here for the price. It's depreciated by 50% in a year!

Advertisement