Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

No offers or anything yet, just being optimistic but best method to receive payment in a private sale? Bank draft and wait for it to clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Wailin wrote: »
    No offers or anything yet, just being optimistic but best method to receive payment in a private sale? Bank draft and wait for it to clear?

I sold my last car privately, was able to find a very reasonable buyer and we agreed that they would transfer the amount to my bank account, I would then pay off the finance and we would transfer the car as soon as the money hit my account.

The person had called to my house, I had met his family (wife and kid) and there was a lot of trust there obviously that we were both genuine.

I think bank transfer is the safest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The next generation M5 is going to be electric apparently.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/m5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

carsfan2 wrote: »
    The next generation M5 is going to be electric apparently.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/m5/

There will still be a V8 for those who haven't completely lost their minds, though.

I'm sorry but I just can't get excited by cars like this. Who needs 1006 bhp?

If a genuine quote it sounds like they are not overly awed themselves ......... ..Comments a member of the M Division R&D team: “The Bavarian Motor Works are latecomers to the EV scene, and the same applies unfortunately to autonomous driving. Mid-term, our only stable competitive advantage is ride, handling and roadholding. But the biggest challenge by far is cost, which is why the board has buried the projected halo car.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

supue wrote: »
    I think the 740e has more bhp versus the 530e - low 300+ bhp for the 740 versus ~250bhp for the 530e. 2 litre doesn't seem right for such a big car, but the boost from the hybrid helps.

Still 100kgs lighter than the X5 40e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

My cousin had a 740e and he recently traded it for the RR Vogue P400e Hybrid. It only has a 2.0 engine as well but I've been in it and its very impressive, the hybrid boost makes a massive difference.

Would I be right in saying that due to nox charges the cost of importing a 535d has jumped from 6k to over 12k? Seems to be the case on the vrt calculator. Surely that can't be correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Would I be right in saying that due to nox charges the cost of importing a 535d has jumped from 6k to over 12k? Seems to be the case on the vrt calculator. Surely that can't be correct?

I’d say that’s actually right, any older diesels are now big money to bring in. Ironically petrols are now better value.

Wow that's crazy. But helps my case in selling the 535d as it's now not feasible to import one anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wouldn't surprise me. I seen something a while back that my one was 1800 or so in Nox and that's just for the N47.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Its because you didn’t input the Nox figure in your calculation, or inputted it incorrectly, if you don’t input a nox figure it automatically applies the highest amount. Most BMW’s post 2014 are Euro 6 so will only have a couple of hundred euros worth of Nox

Where do I get this nox figure? I found a figure of 73 mg/km but when its put into the vrt calculator it's not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

There was an excel spreadsheet that revenue put out a little while back with the Nox prices. I only came across it once and couldn't find it again afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 joseywales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the max Nox charge on Euro6 engines is €600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The NOx charge for anything Euro 6 is so small (even for diesels) it realistically isn't going to put anyone off importing if they want to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Where do I get this nox figure? I found a figure of 73 mg/km but when its put into the vrt calculator it's not correct.

I’m not sure thats the correct figure but say it is, you’d enter it as 0.073, not 73, entering 73 will give you the highest possible Nox charge

Took an m3 for a test drive yesterday. The black one in Kildare. Pure raw driving experience but not sure if I could live with one as a daily driver and family car.

My own car, even in sport + with the stiffened dampers is still acceptably comfortable over bumps and bad roads. The M3 in comfort is still a very harsh ride. Fine on good roads of course.

I still think a non M car with the B58 engine is the better all round option.

Took an m3 for a test drive yesterday. The black one in Kildare. Pure raw driving experience but not sure if I could live with one as a daily driver and family car.

My own car, even in sport + with the stiffened dampers is still acceptably comfortable over bumps and bad roads. The M3 in comfort is still a very harsh ride. Fine on good roads of course.

I still think a non M car with the B58 engine is the better all round option.
    Did you get a cost to change or value on your own?
    Has the test drive removed M3 from shopping list?

• Advertisement

€23k for my own and cost to change price of €31k.

I'd need another extended test drive to make my mind up on an M car. Driving around Naas with traffic wasn't great really but fair play to the chap he just handed me the keys and let me off.

I do see why they have a high turnover of ownership though. The one in Morrison's that was sold recently had 3 owners in 4 years. I guess many buy them to scratch the itch but then get bored of the harsh ride and running costs.

It does appear a lot of buyers of M3/4 move on quickly enough alright. Too brutal as a daily driver can become annoying.
    The figures to change seem not too bad for the black one But you would need a good warranty I think on a car like M3.
    M340i sounds like the direction you are headed of 540i maybe.
    The m340i touring in morrisons seems to be gone off their stock list so presumably sold after a long time.

I wouldn't be interested in that black m3 at all. It's condition, exterior and interior, not the best. It was driven like it should I suppose and certainly wasn't treated too precious.

M340i touring would be perfect tbh. Very few for sale across the pond though. That grey one up north was sold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Think you're spot on with going with a b58. Obviously a real M would be great if money was no issue, but I think its a case of diminishing returns for the cash Vs benefit with a real M. Obviously if you were tracking the car 6 times a year and driving like a dick everywhere on public roads, but nobody does that and you'll soon miss a softer place to be.

Performance wise too, a lot of these cars are just getting too fast, but maybe that's just me. I see the latest 911 review by Matt Watson is hitting motorway speed limit in 3 seconds from a launch. I just couldn't see where in Ireland you could safely even play with any of that type of performance. My own car by most standards in this thread is pretty mundane but would still catch me out at times if I'm not paying attention, or choosing not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chalky_ie

I'd have to say, I haven't found my own car(M4) hard to drive day to day at all. I would assume they are set up essentially the same as an M3, comfort suspension and eco engine settings and you could easily be driving a 430/440. I wouldn't discount it based on that experience, maybe try and get a longer time in one.

conor-w wrote: »
    I'd have to say, I haven't found my own car(M4) hard to drive day to day at all. I would assume they are set up essentially the same as an M3, comfort suspension and eco engine settings and you could easily be driving a 430/440. I wouldn't discount it based on that experience, maybe try and get a longer time in one.

What are you thinking of next after the M4?

What are you thinking of next after the M4?

Torn between sensibility and just leaning into stupidity. A 997 911 S is the leader at the moment, but fairly wary of committing to that tax rate, and the numerous expensive issues they can have. I'm also considering an older M3 or RS4(high tax but cheaper to buy than the Porsche, so not too bad), or being semi-sensible and getting an M2/M4 with warranty and acceptable tax. Just has to be a manual and a bit special really, can't decide at all! Flip flopping every day.

I wouldn't be interested in that black m3 at all. It's condition, exterior and interior, not the best. It was driven like it should I suppose and certainly wasn't treated too precious.

M340i touring would be perfect tbh. Very few for sale across the pond though. That grey one up north was sold too.

I have a feeling that what you’re looking for will be few and far between in our market and you may have to bring something in from U.K./N.I.

Would a golf gti/R hold any interest for you?

I have a feeling that what you’re looking for will be few and far between in our market and you may have to bring something in from U.K./N.I.

Would a golf gti/R hold any interest for you?

• Advertisement

B58 engined cars are rare in the the Republic.
    You may have to look to U.K. market for what you want.

Would a hot hatch hold any attraction for you?

Facelifted M5 Competition:

B58 engined cars are rare in the the Republic.
    You may have to look to U.K. market for what you want.

Would a hot hatch hold any attraction for you?

If I sold mine privately then yes, I'd import from the UK. That's the plan anyway.

A hot hatch wouldn't really suit me, just too small plus I'd prefer an M140i over a golf gti/r any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭td2008

Torn between sensibility and just leaning into stupidity. A 997 911 S is the leader at the moment, but fairly wary of committing to that tax rate, and the numerous expensive issues they can have. I'm also considering an older M3 or RS4(high tax but cheaper to buy than the Porsche, so not too bad), or being semi-sensible and getting an M2/M4 with warranty and acceptable tax. Just has to be a manual and a bit special really, can't decide at all! Flip flopping every day.

Still fancy a 997 at some point, had looked at a few before getting my current car (E92). Impossible to get a manual here at the time and didn't fancy the VRT lottery :mad:

^^^ E92 M3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Would a 997 really be more expensive to run than an M4? I'd have thought they'd be relatively comparable. (Having owned neither, but daydreamed plenty!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Would a 997 really be more expensive to run than an M4? I'd have thought they'd be relatively comparable. (Having owned neither, but daydreamed plenty!)

generally yes, there are some big ticket item that if they go wrong will cost mega bucks and given the scarcity of them here getting one with a proper warranty is a lot harder than an M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭td2008

^^^ E92 M3?

Yep. I was actually planning to change it this year at some stage, have it about 4 years now so getting the itch :o M4 would be the obvious choice, I've still yet to drive one though

As mentioned, it would probably be even enough day to day, but there is a pretty big issue with cylinder scoring in 997s, and you're looking at >10k to get it sorted. It has happened to a lot of cars, and seems to be considered almost an eventuality by experts due to the construction of the engine, so it's quite a big risk to buy one.

I'd be willing to take it if they were E92 M3 prices, but paying 40k+ for a 14 year old car, and then having a possible 10-15k bill loom over your head is a bit crazy.
    td2008 wrote: »
    Still fancy a 997 at some point, had looked at a few before getting my current car (E92). Impossible to get a manual here at the time and didn't fancy the VRT lottery :mad:

Yeah I'd love one, I'm even willing to import one, but the various issues make it pretty risky. There was one with a full Hartech engine rebuild on PistonHeads recently that I enquired about, but it was already gone. They are what you would want to be buying, but are incredibly rare, unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

As mentioned, it would probably be even enough day to day, but there is a pretty big issue with cylinder scoring in 997s, and you're looking at >10k to get it sorted. It has happened to a lot of cars, and seems to be considered almost an eventuality by experts due to the construction of the engine, so it's quite a big risk to buy one.

I'd be willing to take it if they were E92 M3 prices, but paying 40k+ for a 14 year old car, and then having a possible 10-15k bill loom over your head is a bit crazy.

Yea that's mad, I thought it was only certain models of 997 & I thought it was rare for those. At those numbers it does seem a bit of a high price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Seanaciousd, where in Ireland can you get this remap done?
    Does it cost much and what way if any does it affect economy?

You are making the 530/330e more attractive with this news.

I've got my 330e remapped. 390bhp and 480 ft/lb torque. Its quick to say the least. The car was flashed through my mobile using the MG flasher app.

• Advertisement

That seems like massive gains.
    Standard is what 250 bhp and 310lb/ft of torque?
    How much was that to do?
    Is economy good?

That seems like massive gains.
    Standard is what 250 bhp and 310lb/ft of torque?
    How much was that to do?
    Is economy good?

The software licence is 250 euro and the map is 100 euro. All you need then it's a iPhone or Android, enet cable and a adaptor to connect the phone to the enet cable. The app is very easy to use. With average driving the economy is the same. It's a little less economical when using the throttle.

You sure that's not 290bhp rather than 390bhp? 150bhp increase from a €350 software update seems very hard to believe. Did you have the car dyno'd after the update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bazz26 wrote: »
    You sure that's not 290bhp rather than 390bhp? 150bhp increase from a €350 software update seems very hard to believe. Did you have the car dyno'd after the update?

Indeed especially as of the original 250bhp 180 or so was engine so that needs to goto 320?

bazz26 wrote: »

100% 390 bhp. And it feels it. The car is running 16psi boost at that. Which isn't excessive. 19 to 20psi is the average for stage 2. To run stage 2 I need to change the downpipe with a high flow downpipe that carried a high flow catalytic (200cel) converter. That will release another 30 to 40bhp and another 50 ft/lb the tuning market is a lot more competitive now. So prices are not as expensive. The forum reviews of their maps are all very positive. They even post independent dyno reports from their customers
    https://www.mgflasher.com/engineb48/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

How do you know it's 390bhp?

If it is, that's a serious amount of power for a relatively inexpensive to own/tax/insure car.

No doubt it's very quick, just curious how do you know what the output is after the remap?

Cheers

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How do you know it's 390bhp?

If it is, that's a serious amount of power for a relatively inexpensive to own/tax/insure car.

No doubt it's very quick, just curious how do you know what the output is after the remap?

Cheers

I send the tuner a couple of logs from the car. I paid extra for the logger part of the app. He can analyse the logs and run simulations based on my results. He can also fine tune timings for ignition, fuel. Boost pressure. Lamba, internal torque, air mass, throttle position, fuel rail pressure and many more parameters.
    Due to the covid situation, I haven't been able to go and get the car on a dyno. I will get it tested over the next few weeks. I'm also hoping to also get my gearbox mapped for quicker shifts and to raise the internal torque limits. All while keeping within safe limits. This will be done on a dyno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

1jcdub wrote: »
    I send the tuner a couple of logs from the car. I paid extra for the logger part of the app. He can analyse the logs and run simulations based on my results. He can also fine tune timings for ignition, fuel. Boost pressure. Lamba, internal torque, air mass, throttle position, fuel rail pressure and many more parameters.
    Due to the covid situation, I haven't been able to go and get the car on a dyno. I will get it tested over the next few weeks. I'm also hoping to also get my gearbox mapped for quicker shifts and to raise the internal torque limits. All while keeping within safe limits. This will be done on a dyno

Please post results of the dyno! if that car can be remapped to 390 bhp for the farcically low running costs it has, LOL!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Please post results of the dyno! if that car can be remapped to e90 bhp for the farcically low running costs it has, LOL!

Of course I'll post the dyno results. Looking forward to seeing the exact figures myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

1jcdub wrote: »
    Of course I'll post the dyno results. Looking forward to seeing the exact figures myself!

cant wait to see it! a motor tax system here based on begrudement! the likes of this totally pulls the rug from under their feet, virtually free motor tax and relatively outrageous power and insurance wont exactly have it as a high premium car! Was looking at cars online earlier , they will never ever get that kind of mad money in tax from me again, 1809 etc :rolleyes: unless I win the lotto and get an exotic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement