Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I’m not going to ask does the car really have 390bhp or not, I want to know what it’s like now?
    How fast is it, what does it sound like and how does it compare to other cars you have driven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

390bhp for that road tax is excellent.
    Just to put that power in perspective ,that's e39 m5 power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I'd say half of the motors forum is now on autotrader eyeing up 3/530es :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

You’re the second poster on here with a remapped 330e quoting huge performance gains.
    Certainly seems like a great bang for buck.
    I never found my 330e slow so yours must pull like a train. I assume that the engine alone is affected and the electric component is unchanged.
    BMW get over 300bhp alone out of the m135i Which has that engine without the electric so gains Seem achievable alright.
    I won’t ask about insurance or warranty...

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

carsfan2 wrote: »
    You’re the second poster on here with a remapped 330e quoting huge performance gains.
    Certainly seems like a great bang for buck.
    I never found my 330e slow so yours must pull like a train. I assume that the engine alone is affected and the electric component is unchanged.
    BMW get over 300bhp alone out of the m135i Which has that engine without the electric so gains Seem achievable alright.
    I won’t ask about insurance or warranty...
    The car has recently come out of warranty and had a service with BMW and diagnostic. No map was detected as promised by the tuner. It doesn't leave a count on the ECU either.
    Here's a link to a very short video 0 to 60 . It's on a private road. The road surface is ok, bit not ideal being a private road. Hence the wheel spin

https://youtu.be/Tp__vGWSmWQ

maddness wrote: »
    I’m not going to ask does the car really have 390bhp or not, I want to know what it’s like now?
    How fast is it, what does it sound like and how does it compare to other cars you have driven?

The car performance is night and day to be honest. From a standing start I struggle to gain traction in the dry. On a motorway is overtaking capability is just next level. The power combined with the instant torque of the motor is serious. There wouldn't be many cars on the road that could overtake the way this car can.
    I've had remapped 2 gti's a remapped Skoda Octavia rs and none of the car come close to this. The B48 engine is a nice sounding engine to begin with, but is sounds a little stronger with the map (in a good way) the 330e is the quickest car I've owned to date. And economical too. As I live close enough to work. So most of my commutes to work are on batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those are seriously impressive figures from a map. What way does it work, do they send you the map via usb drive? My main concern here would be how would you undo it if the map bricked the ECU while being installed.

A used high spec 530e becomes a lot more attractive alright if the remap is viable.
    Makes a 3/4/540i redundant unless you must have six cylinders.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Those are seriously impressive figures from a map. What way does it work, do they send you the map via usb drive? My main concern here would be how would you undo it if the map bricked the ECU while being installed.

They do recommend when flashing that you have the car battery connected to a charger also ensure that the drivers seatbelt is clicked in to stop the ECU going to sleep. Also ensure that the connections to the diagnostic port and mobile is well in place.
    When you connect your mobile to the car via the app for the first time it will read your stock file and send it to the tuner and they retain a copy of it also a copy of the stock map is retained on your mobile. You can flash back to stock at any time.
    The first time you flash, the ECU needs to be unlocked too. The flash and unlocking process takes around 6 to 8 minutes. After that a to flash a map takes 2 minutes

• Advertisement

1jcdub wrote: »
    They do recommend when flashing that you have the car battery connected to a charger also ensure that the drivers seatbelt is clicked in to stop the ECU going to sleep. Also ensure that the connections to the diagnostic port and mobile is well in place.
    When you connect your mobile to the car via the app for the first time it will read your stock file and send it to the tuner and they retain a copy of it also a copy of the stock map is retained on your mobile. You can flash back to stock at any time.
    The first time you flash, the ECU needs to be unlocked too. The flash and unlocking process takes around 6 to 8 minutes. After that a to flash a map takes 2 minutes

I’ve seen similar for a Bootmap 3 for a B58 engine. Very tempting alright.

A used high spec 530e becomes a lot more attractive alright if the remap is viable.
    Makes a 3/4/540i redundant unless you must have six cylinders.

The 530e gains are more or less the same. By buying a 330e/ 530e and saving the additional cost of a 40i model. You could spend the money on a few nice upgrades. Forged alloys, exhaust system etc and still save money

Plus you get the additional custom options of burbles, max cooling (if you do track days) remove speed limiter, exhaust flap control etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what is the option called now for auto dimming rear view and side mirrors or what extras package would that usually be included in for bmws? Is it standard on most of them now, I don't see it mentioned in the description

Auto dimming rear view mirror has been standard equipment for years. The power folding exterior mirrors with anti-dazzle and reverse tilt feature I think are part of the Park Assist Package. They are standard on the G20 3 Series and will be standard on the G30 5 Series facelift. Still optional on the 1, 2 and 4 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

100% 390 bhp. And it feels it. The car is running 16psi boost at that. Which isn't excessive. 19 to 20psi is the average for stage 2. To run stage 2 I need to change the downpipe with a high flow downpipe that carried a high flow catalytic (200cel) converter. That will release another 30 to 40bhp and another 50 ft/lb the tuning market is a lot more competitive now. So prices are not as expensive. The forum reviews of their maps are all very positive. They even post independent dyno reports from their customers
    https://www.mgflasher.com/engineb48/

Recently bought a BMW 330e. I'll have to look into this down the line if I start to get a bit bored. Seems crazy how much extra performance you can get out of it :)

• Advertisement

what is the option called now for auto dimming rear view and side mirrors or what extras package would that usually be included in for bmws? Is it standard on most of them now, I don't see it mentioned in the description

it depends what model you are looking at as to whether it is standard fit or not.
    What car is it?

I was looking at BMW’s website yesterday to see what 202 offers they have and it seems they are pushing hybrids big time.
    However they are being their usual generous selves.
    I assume most if not a lot of new car buyers use pcp or hp to buy. The apr on pcp for diesel/petrol models is typically 2.9 or 3.9 per cent but on all hybrids it is 5.9 per cent. It is higher again for hp.
    In a time when VW can give zero per cent deals and when we have negative interest rates in Europe the interest Charges are pure robbery.
    I guess lots of people see the monthly without checking the rate etc.
    A rip off.

it depends what model you are looking at as to whether it is standard fit or not.
    What car is it?

bazz has the question answered but thanks, I'm looking at 530e or 330e :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

What kind of money do you need to spend to get a 30e engine up to that kind of figures? I almost bought a 530e just before lockdown and still plan to by end of year

What kind of money do you need to spend to get a 30e engine up to that kind of figures? I almost bought a 530e just before lockdown and still plan to by end of year

350 for the map and software. You'll need an enet cable to connect to the cars diagnostic port. And an adaptor cable to go from the enet cable to your Android or iPhone. Both can be bought for around 30 euro. So let's than 400 euro. And it can be reverted back to the stock tune at your discretion

• Advertisement

350 for the map and software. You'll need an enet cable to connect to the cars diagnostic port. And an adaptor cable to go from the enet cable to your Android or iPhone. Both can be bought for around 30 euro. So let's than 400 euro. And it can be reverted back to the stock tune at your discretion

Wow. What a result for small money. That's e39 m5 territory and e90/92 m3 territory too in a tax efficient car.

This crowd reckon close to 400bhp requires hardware mods as you'd expect..... Different turbo & intercooler etc.

They got to over 300bhp with boost increase and fueling adjustments etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ziptuning.com/blog/tuning-for-bmw-330e-iperformance/amp/

With any forced induction car folk will get loads of bhp increases with little mods but most of the time the engine will take offence sooner rather then later.

Maybe the 4cyl in the 330e makes near 400bhp with factory components with a remap without issue but I'd be very slow to test mule my own if I drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Two stunning M4's in individual colours up North. Would any of you be brave enough to go for the purple? I love how the interior trim border matches the exterior colour.

https://www.usedcarsni.com/268417982

https://www.usedcarsni.com/260881877

what are the buttons with green on the right they aren't there on the second one

268879318.1920.jpg

Active blind spot monitor, lane departure warning and speed limit information on the head up display. Part of a driver assist package afaik.

Wailin wrote: »
    Two stunning M4's in individual colours up North. Would any of you be brave enough to go for the purple? I love how the interior trim border matches the exterior colour.

The interior on the purple car is beautiful. Wouldn't be brave enough to go for the exterior though. The other exterior is nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If I had the money - no problem at all. :cool:

Facelifted 5 series build options now up on the configurator. Prices have increased quiet a bit...

Facelifted 5 series build options now up on the configurator. Prices have increased quiet a bit...

I think I read that the standard spec has improved.
    BMW rarely gives something for nothing!

The interior on the purple car is beautiful. Wouldn't be brave enough to go for the exterior though. The other exterior is nicer

I’d absolutely love the purple one.

• Advertisement

I see they have a M Sport Edition model slot in on the 5 Series too. Seems to be only available in one colour combo- Individual Tanzanite Blue with dark interior. Red brake calipers though.

I think I read that the standard spec has improved.
    BMW rarely gives something for nothing!

€80k for a 530e M sport with a few options, must be some spec now as standard! Serious price increase from pre lci version.

€80k for a 530e M sport with a few options, must be some spec now as standard! Serious price increase from pre lci version.

just had a look there. Serious money alright for a 5 with a bit of kit.
    I do like the tanzanite m sport edition but obviously wouldn't pay new for one.
    I assume you take 7.5 k off for grant and vrt relief but still a lot.
    There seems to have been a price increase across the range though.
    Cars are getting more expensive all round though from every manufacturer.
    the days of chopping and changing for small money are long gone.

Any bites on the 535 or any interest yourself in anything?

jAny bites on the 535 or any interest yourself in anything?

One phone call which led to nothing and one text looking to swap with a golf r...

I was in talks for awhile with the bmw dealer up north about that lovely m3 you linked awhile back. They had a trader down south willing to take my car for €18k. Considering, after vrt, that the m3 was coming in at roughly €56k, I just couldn't do a deal so left it. The car didn't hang around long afterwards, it was a lovely example.

Since then I've swung the other way and thinking phev might be the better option in today's climate. A nicely specced 330e (2019) would suit my driving to be honest. I would commute to work solely on battery.

If my car sells then I can weigh up my options, but I can see it going to a bmw dealer as a trade on a phev being the more likely route. I'm in no rush though so happy to wait a few weeks.

M3 to a hybrid is some swing already.

It’s a head vs heart debate I suppose and when you hear what a remap seems capable of on them you would question the need for anything more.

After I drove that m3, yes it was on a different level to anything I've driven before, but when can you drive like that except on a racetrack? You're basically buying a car to show off rather than use it for what it was built for.

€1200 to tax, which is likely to only increase next budget, compared to €170 for a 290bhp car that can be increased to 350+...better tech and more comfort.

I should have had an m car a few years ago, but time is running out and I don't want to be left with a lump of metal that's practically worthless in a short time. The M340i is still another possibility, but only if I sell my own, which seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

i was gonna say, nothing at all to do with 390bhp 330e remaps lately! :D

The only problem there is around warranty with any remap or modification. Yes they might not find it when it's in for a service or recall but if something big went wrong as a contribution or result of the remap that they could not explain then it might result in them digging real deep into the cause if BMW are paying for it. Personally I wouldn't be going down the remap/modification route until at least most of the warranty is already up.

• Advertisement

330e/530e do have some serious drawbacks, biggest being that 2 litre engine. But also the extra 200kg weight and much smaller boot space. Ideal situation for me is to sell my car privately then I can browse away.

Just wondering about those "390hp" remaps though. The 290bhp is only available for 10 seconds or so on over boost, its normally at 255hp. I seriously doubt 390 is achievable and would not believe it until I see dyno results.

A 530i could be an option too though the VRT would be a good bit steeper than on a 530e if importing. They are rare as hen's teeth here though.

This thread started giving me the itch to change too but I need to wait until I get my HK sound system sorted first. Those two 430d GC in Morrisson's have caught my attention especially the grey one, it has some very nice extras on it though I'm not sure it's worth 2k over the Snapper Dragon Blue one. I certainly don't really need a diesel these days but I'm not ready to give up the smooth 6 cylinders yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

330e/530e do have some serious drawbacks, biggest being that 2 litre engine. But also the extra 200kg weight and much smaller boot space. Ideal situation for me is to sell my car privately then I can browse away.

Just wondering about those "390hp" remaps though. The 290bhp is only available for 10 seconds or so on over boost, its normally at 255hp. I seriously doubt 390 is achievable and would not believe it until I see dyno results.
    I seen this online too:
    https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690599
    Seems to be a B48b20A and B48b20B fitted to the 330e with one being the same as a 320i and the other a detuned 330i. I don't know if that applies to the F30 also but you'd want to do your research if you were thinking about mods.

After I drove that m3, yes it was on a different level to anything I've driven before, but when can you drive like that except on a racetrack? You're basically buying a car to show off rather than use it for what it was built for.

€1200 to tax, which is likely to only increase next budget, compared to €170 for a 290bhp car that can be increased to 350+...better tech and more comfort.

I should have had an m car a few years ago, but time is running out and I don't want to be left with a lump of metal that's practically worthless in a short time. The M340i is still another possibility, but only if I sell my own, which seems unlikely.

If you'd like spin on my car to see what a tuned 330e is capable of, I'm sure we could arrange it

A 530i could be an option too though the VRT would be a good bit steeper than on a 530e if importing. They are rare as hen's teeth here though.

This thread started giving me the itch to change too but I need to wait until I get my HK sound system sorted first. Those two 430d GC in Morrisson's have caught my attention especially the grey one, it has some very nice extras on it though I'm not sure it's worth 2k over the Snapper Dragon Blue one. I certainly don't really need a diesel these days but I'm not ready to give up the smooth 6 cylinders yet.

Any progress in getting that sorted bazz and any idea what caused it?

If you'd like spin on my car to see what a tuned 330e is capable of, I'm sure we could arrange it

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it! Is yours the G20 or F30?

• Advertisement

Any progress in getting that sorted bazz and any idea what caused it?

I have a guy on the look out for a second hand part but there are a few different types that are not compatible and of course the one I need is in short supply. A new one is €1500 plus VAT from BMW. Last resort is that if I have to buy new then I'll keep the car to get some value out of it. The cause seems to have been a fried board in the amp which seems to be common on them but of course BMW will deny that once it's out of warranty.

I've little doubt it's achievable, but without a new turbo and intercooler etc I'd have my doubts as to the longevity of an engine. Go back 10 or 15 years and loads of 4 cyl turbo cars were mapped to high bhp without hardware mods and most of them were fubbered eventually.
    Mapping a 330e under warranty would be very risky IMO. Even if no trace of the map was found the ECU would log EGT etc surely so if anything failed out of the ordinary the puzzle might be pieced together.
    ............. I certainly don't really need a diesel these days but I'm not ready to give up the smooth 6 cylinders yet.

Surely a 4 cyl petrol would be more refined? In a similar spec car of course. I'm not suggesting a base spec Octavia is as refined but surely a 530i would be more so.

I thought you had discounted a 4 gc when you bought your current car and aren’t a fan of Morissons either?
    However the grey car with the tan leather is nice alright and I think worth a premium over the other one.
    To be honest I would have thought a high spec 530e might suit you more.
    With regards to the fault on your own, is it something that could be bypassed some way or is it immediately obvious to whoever assessed it?
    Also what it costs a dealer to put right is a fraction of what it costs you so might not be worth doing if you’re changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

I think remapping a car to over 100bhp more than factory, while under warranty, sounds like a recipe for absolute disaster. I don't doubt that it's possible, but it would raise serious concerns about longevity etc. to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Apologies I haven't had any time to dyno yet lads, my weekends are currently booked out for meeting back up with my friends :o.

What I do have however is some OBD logs from the car while I was testing out stage 1. The B48 engine has a flywheel torque sensor, so using that in conjunction with RPM you can calculate the power the engine is producing. Here is stock vs stage 1 side by side:

obd2.png

So as you can see, at 5000 RPM the stock engine is putting out pretty much exactly the 184HP BMW claims at stock, and 302HP with a stage 1 remap. Remember this doesnt include the extra 88HP from the electric motor. So all in all I'd guess you'd be getting 350-370HP at the wheels given transmission losses and some electric power loss. It certainly feels it!

As for can the engine take it? Sure, for two reasons. First is the closed deck-block design, meaning the block itself can take lots of boost without issue. It's odd BMW made this choice as most 4cylinder turbo engines are open-deck as it's cheaper (google the head-gasket blowing focus RS). But I'd wager it's because the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder B48 and B58 (and S58) blocks are machined with the same tools, so the 4cylinder inherited this as a bonus.

The second is that it's a PHEV, which means the engine is probably only switched on for half of the total miles the car has covered, depending on your driving style of course. Don't go flooring it while the engine is still cold of course, but if you have a performance car I would be servicing it at least once a year anyway, even it is well below the mileage interval. All the modern sensors in the engines ECU are very quick to react to detect knock and reduce ignition timing and whatnot to protect the engine, so I wouldn't think it has any major adverse affects on reliability.

As another poster mentioned (and I mentioned before), the G20 330e may randomly come with a 320i engine (B48B20A) or a 330i engine (B48B20B). These engine are identical except for the pistons, where the 330i engine has a 10.2 to 1 ratio and the 320i has 11.0 to 1. The high compression ratio of the 320i engine is the limiting factor here, as the stock turbo can produce even more boost, but is limited by that compression ratio to prevent knock. The 330i version as such can easily output over 400HP from just a stage one remap, you can find many examples of which here: https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/chiptuning/1-cars/5-bmw/525-serie-3/10456-g2x-03-2019/11553-330e/
    So if anyone is interested in the G20 330e, look for B48B20B on the engine block :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement