Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

Interesting .............. this crowd reckon 307 hp and massive 477 Nm of torque with a map.......... for further increases they claim intake and exhaust parts improvements ..... more capable turbochargers, intercoolers, injectors and other accompanying parts.

https://www.ziptuning.com/blog/tuning-for-bmw-330e-iperformance/

With just a map you are getting more bhp but less torque?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Augeo wrote: »
    Interesting .............. this crowd reckon 307 hp and massive 477 Nm of torque with a map.......... for further increases they claim intake and exhaust parts improvements ..... more capable turbochargers, intercoolers, injectors and other accompanying parts.

https://www.ziptuning.com/blog/tuning-for-bmw-330e-iperformance/

With just a map you are getting more bhp but less torque?

Yeah I'm not sure about the numbers these guys are getting. If it's a proper dyno run it should be higher due to electric motor, unless they've disabled it for some reason?

They did a 320i here https://www.ziptuning.com/news/bmw-320i-tuning-286-hp-and-435-nm-for-a-whole-different-car/

Those numbers match up close with what I get from the engine alone, with the same boost figure (1.4bar) but their 330e should be posting higher. That torque figure especially is way off, as the motor makes an additional 250Nm in conjunction with the engine (at low RPM mind). It's a great result without the motor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely a 4 cyl petrol would be more refined? In a similar spec car of course. I'm not suggesting a base spec Octavia is as refined but surely a 530i would be more so.
    A petrol even in 4 cylinder would obviously be more refined but there is a nice sound from the straight 6 even in diesel form.
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    I thought you had discounted a 4 gc when you bought your current car and aren’t a fan of Morissons either?
    However the grey car with the tan leather is nice alright and I think worth a premium over the other one.
    To be honest I would have thought a high spec 530e might suit you more.
    With regards to the fault on your own, is it something that could be bypassed some way or is it immediately obvious to whoever assessed it?
    Also what it costs a dealer to put right is a fraction of what it costs you so might not be worth doing if you’re changing.

I fancy a smaller more nimble car than the 5 Series this time as I've had 3 of them in a row. A 530e doesn't really work for me either as getting a home charger fitted is a pain for me due to where my fuse board is located.
    That particular 4 Series has some nice extras on it such as adaptive chassis, adaptive led headlights, merino leather, HUD, etc. There is always going to be a trade off on finish when moving to a car below the 5 Series but the upgraded merino leather soften's the blow a little and I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of comfort for better handling.

Regarding Morrisson's, yes I've had bad a experience with them a few years ago and won't deal with a certain individual in there if he is still there but if their cost to change was respectable this time round I'd consider it. If they low balled me again then I'd just walk and wouldn't darken their door ever again.

Regarding the part in my F10 costing a dealer less than what it would cost me, for sure but it doesn't always translate that way into a trade-in valuation with some of them, they will take off what it costs you rather than what it costs them to make a bit more money on the deal and start giving you BS about having to diagnose the problem themselves, etc. Your always at a disadvantage in that situation so I'd rather not go in there on the back foot.

Anyway, I'm in no hurry or under any pressure so I'll bide my time. Anyone like to make a guess at a cost to change figure for that 430d, it's retailing at 38k. Mine is a 151 530d M Sport with 76k miles, ex UK car with one Irish owner (me), M Sport Plus pack, oyster leather, widescreen Prov Nav, Convenience Pack - electric memory front seats with power folding door mirrors, electric tilt steering wheel and electric sunroof. NCT until May 2021.

bazz26 wrote: »
    A petrol even in 4 cylinder would obviously be more refined but there is a nice sound from the straight 6 even in diesel form.

Apologies, I didn't think it was the sound you were referring to........
    ......... smooth 6 cylinders ........

......... Anyone like to make a guess at a cost to change figure for that 430d, it's retailing at 38k. Mine is a 151 530d M Sport with 76k miles, ex UK car with one Irish owner (me), M Sport Plus pack, oyster leather, widescreen Prov Nav, Convenience Pack - electric memory front seats with power folding door mirrors, electric tilt steering wheel and electric sunroof. NCT until May 2021.

€20/22k

I wouldn't pay that sort of money anyway just to move up 2 years to a smaller car that's already 3 years old.

Yeah I'm not sure about the numbers these guys are getting. If it's a proper dyno run it should be higher due to electric motor, unless they've disabled it for some reason?...........

Electric motor is enabled........... shows just under 270 bhp 425 Nm ish original and 307 bhp, 477Nm mapped ......... it's way above the 291 Nm that the ICE produces alone :)

Max bhp at 4750rpm........ max torque falls away after 4500 rpm.

Definitely a conservative approach in comparison but the figures charted definitely inlcude the electric motor.

They did a 320i here https://www.ziptuning.com/news/bmw-320i-tuning-286-hp-and-435-nm-for-a-whole-different-car/

Those numbers match up close with what I get from the engine alone, with the same boost figure (1.4bar) but their 330e should be posting higher. That torque figure especially is way off, as the motor makes an additional 250Nm in conjunction with the engine (at low RPM mind). It's a great result without the motor though.

They removed the catalyst as well as a stage 2 map, suggests stage 1 map is all that can be done without nuts & bolts changes (in their systems anyway) :)

I wouldn't pay that sort of money anyway just to move up 2 years to a smaller car that's already 3 years old.

I could be way off (€4/5k off the €22k maybe), but Morrison's probably are going to release you're car to the trade if you traded it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Mine is a 151 530d M Sport with 76k miles, ex UK car with one Irish owner (me), M Sport Plus pack, oyster leather, widescreen Prov Nav, Convenience Pack - electric memory front seats with power folding door mirrors, electric tilt steering wheel and electric sunroof. NCT until May 2021.

Is this up for sale somewhere yet? Sounds like a car that won't sit around.

Nope, just thinking out loud at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is this up for sale somewhere yet? Sounds like a car that won't sit around.

Well mine would have a similar appeal to bazz's and is sitting around now after 17 days with over 1300 views, one phone call and one message. Your car was up for awhile too? Unless you're desperate to get rid of the car and under cut your asking price by a few grand, it will sit around for another long while I'd say.

• Advertisement

I could be way off (€4/5k off the €22k maybe), but Morrison's probably are going to release you're car to the trade if you traded it in.

Curious as to why you would think a bmw dealer wouldn't sell a 5 year old bmw 5 series themselves?

Wailin wrote: »
    .............it will sit around for another long while I'd say.

That's the think........ it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to sell a car even when it's priced fairly. Dealers charge for the fact they've money sitting on their forecourts for weeks on end :)

Curious as to why you would think a bmw dealer wouldn't sell a 5 year old bmw 5 series themselves?

Morrison's have 97 cars for sale ...... of that 1 is a 151 (43,550 mls 520d Msport) and 1 is a 152 (65,954 mls X4 xDrive20d xLine).......

At 5 years old and 76k miles you are likely at the stage where they are going to just offload it to the trade rather than retail it with a 2 year approved BMW warranty IMO.

BMW APPROVED USED CARS - 2 Year Unlimited Mileage BMW Warranty.

They don't offer any other BMW used cars afaik so they can't just sell it with a 12 month warranty?

I think they sell BMW AUC up to 6 years old and 150,000 km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They might retail tasty stuff like that with good spec and history but in general, stuff at 5 years old doesnt seem to make the main dealer forecourt too often.

Yeah, they make some exceptions around the age if the mileage is low and there is plenty of profit in it. On the regular rough/high mileage stuff, most of it is sold off to the trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I’d guess about 17/18k to change To the 430d but I was wrong about the 440 when Wailin went looking. That would be after a bit of horse trading though.
    The warranty is worth a couple of grand and it probably has service pack remaining.
    It might depend what time you make a move too, whether they’ve hade a good or slow month.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold your car themselves. It’s a nice spec and they get plenty of people looking for nice spec cars. I noticed recently when I was there that they were selling non BMW and mini trade ins themselves lately. They had a glc Mercedes, jag xf and Audi A5 as stock. Maybe good second hand is in short supply but it was the kind of stuff they would not normally have.
    The grey 430 is a lovely spec with the adaptive lights,suspension etc.
    What happened to put you off them? Something similar to Wailin in Bolands?I have found them a cut above other BMW dealers generally.
    PM if you prefer

The senior guy I was dealing with at the time thought he was dealing with a thicko from the city with his low ball offer. Telling me he could buy my car for half nothing in the UK yet half the cars on their forecourt were UK imports with inflated prices that he no doubt paid half price for too. Wasn't willing to budge much on the price when I challenged him on it and he basically said take it or leave it. I got a better deal on a higher spec car from Keary's in Cork. Same guy texted me a few days later asking if I was still interested in his car and there would be a bit of movement on the price. I just replied, "no thanks, I bought already - you had your chance."

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it! Is yours the G20 or F30?

Mine is the f30

• Advertisement

Whatever you do bazz, if going for a 4 series, make sure it has the adaptive dampers. Makes a hell of a difference to the handling.

The senior guy I was dealing with at the time thought he was dealing with a thicko from the city with his low ball offer. Telling me he could buy my car for half nothing in the UK yet half the cars on their forecourt were UK imports with inflated prices that he no doubt paid half price for too. Wasn't willing to budge much on the price when I challenged him on it and he basically said take it or leave it. I got a better deal on a higher spec car from Keary's in Cork. Same guy texted me a few days later asking if I was still interested in his car and there would be a bit of movement on the price. I just replied, "no thanks, I bought already - you had your chance."

Pretty sure I know who you mean there alright.
    I would take a test drive of the car and ring ahead that way they know you’re coming and are a serious buyer not just rocking up for a burn.
    No harm in getting figures.
    One thing never bothers me is taking up a car salesman’s time.

Whatever you do bazz, if going for a 4 series, make sure it has the adaptive dampers. Makes a hell of a difference to the handling.

The grey one has them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

That’s beaut, wild take that over a 440i definitely. Any idea what the VRT is on it, Would you have it landed for 45k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    2018 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Quattro 
    Engine Size 2.0 L
    :confused::confused::confused:

Typo I guess. It’s 3.0 alright.

Casati wrote: »
    That’s beaut, wild take that over a 440i definitely. Any idea what the VRT is on it, Would you have it landed for 45k?

€15,500 vrt. Be looking at around 50ish I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

Do Audi UK warranties cover the EU? I know Mercedes don't.

I got 13.5k vrt on one version and 15.5k on another on the calculator? Don’t know what difference between them.
    I think the warranty carries over but not sure.
    A good car for less than 50k and on the island.
    Actually think I would prefer it over a 440 as interior is streets ahead and the Quattro too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I got 13.5k vrt on one version and 15.5k on another on the calculator? Don’t know what difference between them.
    I think the warranty carries over but not sure.
    A good car for less than 50k and on the island.
    Actually think I would prefer it over a 440 as interior is streets ahead and the Quattro too.

It’s a current model so fresher than the 4 to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

It’s nice and I love the red leather but it’s not 50 grand nice.

Not a fan of Audis myself anyway.

X5M Competition:

Stunning colour.

Probably a 200k car here?
    Have to say loving the wife’s 3.0d version. The engine is streets ahead of the 25d we had previously and just as economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

That’s a stunning car altogether. The new X5 is really nice, would love one but well out of budget. Hopefully the X45e goes the way of the 530e and 330e and become a lot cheaper when a year old. Keeping an eye on prices on auto trader but nothing below £65k sterling. Just got an EV charger fitted last week so will definitely be going at least hybrid and probably fully electric for the wife’s car next. The new id4 is one I’m looking forward to seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I had a 330d with adaptive dampers and I found them to be stiffer than standard, even on comfort :( It's a rare enough option to be fair.

Not a fan of Audis myself anyway.

I’m surprised at the general lack of love for the S5.
    We must all be bimmer fan boys.
    I looked up its stats And it’s sub 5 to 60 and generally gets good reviews but lacks soul which I suppose you could say about any Audi.
    My favourite car I ever owned though was 2005 Audi A6 3.0 TDi Quattro bought in 2006 with my SSIA money( remember that?)
    Loved that car even though I only bought it after a 530d I was after got sold before I could see it.

I can't really put my finger on my dislike for Audi's in general. Bland design and dull to drive comes to mind, but the whole fake exhaust trend from the VAG group is a bit of a bugbear of mine. The S5 is probably the best looking car in their line up, but I prefer the 4 series in the right spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I look straight through Audis on the road, I don't even see them. They all look identical. A7s catch my eye, thats about it.

I think you tend to fall into one of two camps regarding Audi and BMW. I'm sure the majority of those who love their Audis probably wouldn't like BMWs either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

One thing that strikes me in this thread is the quality of the ads from NI and the UK compared to here. Really excellent high res photos and the cars look pristine. You'd be very confident of buying the car unseen when the photos are so good. Compare that to the majority of ads on carzone. Shocking phone photos (sometimes screenshots! Often with the salesman's brown shoes in shot lol) and the cars are often less-than-pristine looking too, although you wouldn't be sure, due to the poor quality photos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think you tend to fall into one of two camps regarding Audi and BMW. I'm sure the majority of those who love their Audis probably wouldn't like BMWs either.

i just like nice cars, and having had my fair share of BMWs i think the best looking car i had was the old shape A5 sportsback in daytona grey with the black styling pack.

i think the A7 is a fine car, i like the etron as well (im actually taking delivery of one next week) but i think the X5 beats the Q7. That said id take a Q5 over an X3. Then i think the 3 series and the 5 sh!t all over the a4 and a6. But the A5 is nicer than the 4 and the Q8 is probably a nicer SUV than anything bmw do.

sorry that was a ramble :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

My last 7 cars have been a mix Of BMW`S and Audis with a Golf R stuck in between !
    i can honestly say they were all good cars and wouldnt favour one brand over the other, rather i think the spec on whichever one you have is more important.
    for example a 520 se and a 520 m sports + are worlds apart visually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Personally I love the current A5 Sportback, the S-Line ones with alloys containing lots of spokes look great. That S5 is lovely. I'd take an RS5 over an M4 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

JoeA3 wrote: »
    One thing that strikes me in this thread is the quality of the ads from NI and the UK compared to here. Really excellent high res photos and the cars look pristine. You'd be very confident of buying the car unseen when the photos are so good. Compare that to the majority of ads on carzone. Shocking phone photos (sometimes screenshots! Often with the salesman's brown shoes in shot lol) and the cars are often less-than-pristine looking too, although you wouldn't be sure, due to the poor quality photos...
    Photos from Irish dealers do be shocking. Not sure if it was in this thread or another. A fairly expensive car from a dealer 50k plus had photo on the curragh planes and ****e all over the drivers footwell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Photos from Irish dealers do be shocking. Not sure if it was in this thread or another. A fairly expensive car from a dealer 50k plus had photo on the curragh planes and ****e all over the drivers footwell..

makes it feel like they want bad pictures so they can keep daily driving the car instead of selling it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Perhaps a bit but I love any interesting car and particularly ones that are a great drive. I’ve only ever had one Audi and it was a lovely place to sit but just so dull to drive. I really like a Golf and not just the fast ones and am a big fan of Skoda and Seat so it’s not VAG dislike in general. If you are spending big money on any car these days it’s going to be a fabulous car but the last Audi that I had the want for would be the first V8 RS4 Avant. I just find most of their cars very impressive but just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I went from a Mk5 GTi to a B8 Audi A4 TFSi and while it was a big step up in refinement and spec it was just boring to drive, I sold it in less than a year and bought a new Fiesta ST. My whole family thought I was gone mad selling my 'fine Audi' for a Fiesta but the little ST had three times the amount of character the A4 had. I don't think I'd buy another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Just on the Audi v BMW debate, aged 24 I bought a 318is coupe and stuck religuosly with BMW. Had a couple of e46 318i which I liked and then graduated to e39 525i and 530i which I loved. Then to an e60 523i and then an f10 530d before starting driving Audi. I now have a c7 a6 and I like it just as much as the BMW cars I had. Its a 2014 and I've a funny feeling when I go to move it on the fact that the current generation 5 series are available from 2017 on whereas a6 is 182 plate onwards, I will end up in 5 series again due to the fact they'll be that little bit cheaper. But as for brand loyalty between the 2, I wouldn't have any preference anymore. I think the 530e being available will sway it for me.

Favourite cars out of the whole lot though were my e39s... The 530i in particular. That was a beautiful car.... 73,000 in 2001 the particular one I had cost. Huge amount of that was vrt I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Just on the Audi v BMW debate, aged 24 I bought a 318is coupe and stuck religuosly with BMW. Had a couple of e46 318i which I liked and then graduated to e39 525i and 530i which I loved. Then to an e60 523i and then an f10 530d before starting driving Audi. I now have a c7 a6 and I like it just as much as the BMW cars I had. Its a 2014 and I've a funny feeling when I go to move it on the fact that the current generation 5 series are available from 2017 on whereas a6 is 182 plate onwards, I will end up in 5 series again due to the fact they'll be that little bit cheaper. But as for brand loyalty between the 2, I wouldn't have any preference anymore. I think the 530e being available will sway it for me.

Favourite cars out of the whole lot though were my e39s... The 530i in particular. That was a beautiful car.... 73,000 in 2001 the particular one I had cost. Huge amount of that was vrt I suppose

Advertisement