Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

F34 wrote: »

If you’ve any questions please feel free to massage me.

nothing for nothing around here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I’ve a g20 330i and had a 330e as a loan car yesterday while it was cool to drive around in electric mode I thinks it’s a novelty that would wear off very quickly for me. The 30i in sport mode seemed to be a far different animal and a hell of a lot more fun.

If you’re going for a 30i CIP msport plus package is a must for the limited slip and most importantly adaptive suspension or it’s a very very harsh ride. Technology and visibility are the packs I’d go for in that order. The comfort and premium while nice to have don’t make a huge difference to the car.

On mine I have:

Visibility,
    Technology,
    Premium,
    Comfort and
    Msport plus package

Driving assistant professional and,
    Parking assistant plus

You have every pack going!
    Did you buy in Ireland? If so 70k ish I’m guessing.
    Sounds like a great car.
    How is the refinement/ wind noise etc? I had a couple of f30 models and they were poor for the price point.
    I assume the new model is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

carsfan2 wrote: »
    You have every pack going!
    Did you buy in Ireland? If so 70k ish I’m guessing.
    Sounds like a great car.
    How is the refinement/ wind noise etc? I had a couple of f30 models and they were poor for the price point.
    I assume the new model is better?

yeah I missed the tow hitch and leather dash option lol

Purchased from same dealer I've been dealing with a number of years list was low 60's and i got a hefty discount off that. I got mine in July last year and the price has jumped a lot since then

The G20 has the acoustic glass and it really does make a difference, the quality of the cabin is a lot better and the idrive has a much better layout

In all honesty yes the G20 is better but they have also skimped on silly things like no sill protectors on the back doors anymore and the finish of the boot just doesn't reflect what it should and did in other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I’ve a g20 330i and had a 330e as a loan car yesterday while it was cool to drive around in electric mode I thinks it’s a novelty that would wear off very quickly for me. The 30i in sport mode seemed to be a far different animal and a hell of a lot more fun.

If you’re going for a 30i CIP msport plus package is a must for the limited slip and most importantly adaptive suspension or it’s a very very harsh ride. Technology and visibility are the packs I’d go for in that order. The comfort and premium while nice to have don’t make a huge difference to the car.

On mine I have:

Visibility,
    Technology,
    Premium,
    Comfort and
    Msport plus package

Driving assistant professional and,
    Parking assistant plus

Thanks for the info I get what you are saying in the fact the Sport Plus is the best one to have but if you were to go by what's in Irish dealers at the moment. I know there is a year in the difference but that is all that is there at the minute and there is never going to be a huge selection of G20 330i.

You are at 17k of a difference its a huge amount for ultimately the same car same engine, same basic extras. If you were to keep both for 3 years I think you would do well to get 8K extra for the Msport never mind 17K I could be wrong though.

Cheapest M sport plus
    201 Msport Plus 330i

Sport model
    191 Sport 330i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At the end of the day it boils down to you and which one you prefer. If you like the Sport and see no extra value in a M Sport then there is no point spending extra money on a M Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Anyone have any idea of what the VRT would be on an 08 M3, manual coupe with less than 60k miles?

I was going to ask an owner there on another forum but copped his is an Irish car.

Cheers

[QUOTE=CIP4;114065114......

Sport model
    191 Sport 330i[/QUOTE]

You'd move from the GTi to that for a palatable enough amount I reckon.

Augeo wrote: »

Well as the dealer said if we hadn’t knocked 10k of it 2 weeks ago we would of given you some trade in on your own :pac: ah we will see I might equally drive the GTI for another 6 months see what comes up then or decide to bring one in from the UK for the sake of getting a higher spec if I feel that’s needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

CIP4 wrote: »
    Well as the dealer said if we hadn’t knocked 10k of it 2 weeks ago we would of given you some trade in on your own :pac: ah we will see I might equally drive the GTI for another 6 months see what comes up then or decide to bring one in from the UK for the sake of getting a higher spec if I feel that’s needed.

I’ve done sport over msport once and swore never to repeat the mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of what the VRT would be on an 08 M3, manual coupe with less than 60k miles?

I was going to ask an owner there on another forum but copped his is an Irish car.

Cheers

Give or take 8k is what most people say, having asked the same question in
    a lot of places, seems like nobody that actually brings one in is willing to ever state what they paid!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info I get what you are saying in the fact the Sport Plus is the best one to have but if you were to go by what's in Irish dealers at the moment. I know there is a year in the difference but that is all that is there at the minute and there is never going to be a huge selection of G20 330i.

You are at 17k of a difference its a huge amount for ultimately the same car same engine, same basic extras. If you were to keep both for 3 years I think you would do well to get 8K extra for the Msport never mind 17K I could be wrong though.

Cheapest M sport plus
    201 Msport Plus 330i

Sport model
    191 Sport 330i

You’re not really comparing like with like in that the more expensive car to begin with is a year younger.
    I get what you say though and agree the variation in price will have narrowed in three years.
    Take a test drive and see if you like how they drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Cheers

Paid 6900 for a 07 with 55K miles back in 2016, probably get charged a bit more than that now though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cheers

E92 m3 would be some lovely motor. I could only imagine what that v8 sounds like. Look into the rod bearings and throttle actuators if you're not aware of the issues common in that car. Lot's of owners get the rod bearings replaced for piece of mind, a pricey job too.

Augeo wrote: »

It's a BMW dealer, palatable money it won't be.

I see on the gti thread you’re putting your car up for sale Cip4.
    Are you set on a 330 or still thinking?

I see on the gti thread you’re putting your car up for sale Cip4.
    Are you set on a 330 or still thinking?

Well I think I will sell the GTI either way. Then possibly just buy a bit of a runaround to tide me over until I can find a nice well specced 330i or go to the UK to get one. While I am not that bothered about MSport spec I think everyone else looking to buy a 330i will want an MSport so I am put off the sport version as I just think it will be too difficult to sell on whenever I would sell it on. Having the GTI gone will give me more options either way. If I can’t get decent offers on the GTI I will hold onto it longer I don’t have to get rid of it or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

How’s the 540i going Wallin now that you have it for a week or so!

I still have the autotraders alerts coming to my email for 540is and this is a nicely specced one here:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007171358068?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

New M440i looking pretty good here I think

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/17/2021-bmw-m440i-in-individual-dravit-grey-metallic/

Would still rather smaller grills but I could live with it for sure as the rest of the car is stunning and offers super performance. Looking forward to see the grand coupe version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

digiman wrote: »
    New M440i looking pretty good here I think

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/17/2021-bmw-m440i-in-individual-dravit-grey-metallic/

Would still rather smaller grills but I could live with it for sure as the rest of the car is stunning and offers super performance. Looking forward to see the grand coupe version.

That looks really well in fairness, the grill isn't THAT bad..

• Advertisement

Well I think I will sell the GTI either way. Then possibly just buy a bit of a runaround to tide me over until I can find a nice well specced 330i or go to the UK to get one. While I am not that bothered about MSport spec I think everyone else looking to buy a 330i will want an MSport so I am put off the sport version as I just think it will be too difficult to sell on whenever I would sell it on. Having the GTI gone will give me more options either way. If I can’t get decent offers on the GTI I will hold onto it longer I don’t have to get rid of it or anything.

Just leaving this here:
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2019-BMW-3-Series-330i-M-Sport-Saloon-269351033?search_type=1&make=0&fuel_type=0&age_from=2019&price_from=0&user_type=0&trans_type=0&age_to=0&price_to=0&keywords=330i&location%5B%5D=0&body_style=0

VRT maybe 10k? So around 43k cleared?

Wailin bought his 540i off them recently.

digiman wrote: »
    How’s the 540i going Wallin now that you have it for a week or so!

Yeah loving the car, it's quiet different to the f10. More nimble and feels less nose heavy than the 535d. Steering is more direct and it grips well with the xdrive. Even though it's slightly bigger than the f10 it feels smaller on the move. You really notice the drop in torque compared to the 535d, but then it goes pretty much to the red line when pushed without drop off. Not as quick as my 535d, but a remap would sort that if I wanted and the b58 engine takes the remap very well.

Economy has settled around 32-34 mpg, drops a lot on city spins. I love the sports seats with adjustable bolsters and lumbar support. Very comfortable.

Things I miss from my 535d are the 360 camera, makes parking in tight spaces a breeze, and the adaptive dampers. The m sport suspension is good but it's nice to be able to switch to comfort on the less smooth roads. If I was speccing one from new I'd definitely add those options.

A nice, well specced f30 340i with individual colour. Same price as my own from same dealer which is a bit steep when comparing like for like.

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-BMW-3-Series-340i-M-Sport-Shadow-Edition-Saloon-270264165?make=2&model=139959&search_type=1&age_from=0&age_to=0&body_style=0&fuel_type=1&homepage_search_attr=1&keywords=&location[]=0&location[]=0&mileage_to=0&pagepc0=2&price_from=0&price_to=0&sortby=6%7C0&tab_id=0&trans_type=0&user_type=0

It's a nice car but that is pricey considering what you bought for similar money. I remember there was a similar 2018 F30 340i in carbon black, for sale by a non franchised dealer in Dublin about a 2 years ago and they were asking around 43k for it back then. Even at that price they had it for ages.

Wailin wrote: »
    A nice, well specced f30 340i with individual colour. Same price as my own from same dealer which is a bit steep when comparing like for like.

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-BMW-3-Series-340i-M-Sport-Shadow-Edition-Saloon-270264165?make=2&model=139959&search_type=1&age_from=0&age_to=0&body_style=0&fuel_type=1&homepage_search_attr=1&keywords=&location[]=0&location[]=0&mileage_to=0&pagepc0=2&price_from=0&price_to=0&sortby=6%7C0&tab_id=0&trans_type=0&user_type=0

That’s a beautiful car and probably less than 40k when vrt included. All the additional equipment would probably increase the vrt over what the quote they have listed says.
    A lot of car for the money at that.
    A dealer down here would want 50k for that.

At the right price you will sell the gti handily enough. It’s a lovely spec on it and they are rare enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

That looks really well in fairness, the grill isn't THAT bad..

The number plate splitting it really improves the look, where generally cars look better without it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is it just me, or do the huge rear quarters make the wheels look too small for the car?

BMW-M440i-ndividual-Dravit-Grey-Metallic-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Top Dog wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do the huge rear quarters make the wheels look too small for the car?

BMW-M440i-ndividual-Dravit-Grey-Metallic-01.jpg

100% yes!
    Every is giving out about the horrible grill but the rear side profile is bloody awful too. The last BMW that I liked the ew design is the current 5 series.

Looks like the suspension is too high also.
    A lot of new cars seem to only look good with 20” plus wheels. The fact the alloys are black doesn’t help either.
    I hate black alloys, must be my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Looks like the suspension is too high also.
    A lot of new cars seem to only look good with 20” plus wheels. The fact the alloys are black doesn’t help either.
    I hate black alloys, must be my age.

Unfortunately, while BMW UK decided that all 4 series will come in M Sport specification as standard (which is a good thing), they also decided to remove M Sport suspension that M Sport cars always got as standard.

It's one thing to delete sports suspension on say an X3 or an X5 M Sport, but it absolutely beggars belief to not fit sports suspension on a sports trim on a Coupé - especially given how much of a deal BMW is making about the 4 series' driving dynamics over its predecessor.

Hopefully M Sport Plus cars will come with the adaptive suspension like they do in the 3 series. The 3 series M Sport continues to get sports suspension in any event.

I do agree with you on the looks, even aside from the front the side doesn't look great either; it really lacks the elegance of the outgoing 4 series, or the 3 series Coupé it superseded.

I don't like the fact that it's so big either; it's a whole foot longer than an E46 Coupé and not far off the E63/4 6 series!

Hopefully the forthcoming 2 series Coupé will look like a BMW Coupé should, and also be much more sensible size wise.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 2 Series coupe, it will probably still look very similar to the Gran Coupe but with 2 doors and lower roof line obviously:

2020-BMW-2-Series-Gran-Coupe.jpg

Nicely speced F30 335d here. It's been for sale for ages but not surprised at that asking price:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe94e12c48092165a64df72c1aa4f8ba27d.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2549850&r=s.php%3Fm%3D10%26o%3D86%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D1

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the 2 Series coupe, it will probably still look very similar to the Gran Coupe but with 2 doors and lower roof line obviously:

2020-BMW-2-Series-Gran-Coupe.jpg

I read the 2 series coupe is going to stay rear wheel drive and not be derived from the same platform as regular 1/2 series so there is hope.

I read the 2 series coupe is going to stay rear wheel drive and not be derived from the same platform as regular 1/2 series so there is hope.

The 2 Coupé will thankfully be based on the CLAR platform the rear wheel drive models use. There will be at least one six cylinder engine available (the M2) and most likely the M240i will return with the correct number of cylinders, too. As such, it will be the only 2 series worth buying. The spy photos I've seen are promising but one never knows with BMW these days.

The 2 Coupé will thankfully be based on the CLAR platform the rear wheel drive models use. There will be at least one six cylinder engine available (the M2) and most likely the M240i will return with the correct number of cylinders, too. As such, it will be the only 2 series worth buying. The spy photos I've seen are promising but one never knows with BMW these days.

You're obsessed with 6 pots :)

There’s worse things to be obsessed with!

I have to say since we got the x5 with the six cylinder diesel it really has impressed me with its smooth nature and effortless nature.
    Makes the 2.0 diesel in my 5 series feel like a tractor in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Never picked up on that! 😂

Called the insurance company today to see what kind of hike stepping into an E92 would bring. They couldn't tell me and have to refer to underwriters. Guy said it wouldn't be good. That might be the end of that idea then...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

Called the insurance company today to see what kind of hike stepping into an E92 would bring. They couldn't tell me and have to refer to underwriters. Guy said it wouldn't be good. That might be the end of that idea then...

I had both my e92s insured with GMHD and they were very good. Had my 325i (3L) insured fully comp for just over 800 last year

You replacing your 330d or is this an additional policy?

• Advertisement

Replace it potentially....

Trying to do the maths on it and figured better sort out this end before going test driving.

Input your details into 25plus.ie and see how you get on. I'm getting quotes of €500, although I'm mid 40's if that makes a difference.

Wailin wrote: »
    Input your details into 25plus.ie and see how you get on. I'm getting quotes of €500, although I'm mid 40's if that makes a difference.

Ah jaysus, we're back in business now. 700 euro fully comp.

Cheers!

Beautiful car and all but Is the e92 M3 not a potential money pit?
    The smg gearbox especially?

The E92 has a dct box, which is BM's dual clutch box and I believe there is no issue with it and my indy reckons that's the one to get, but I would prefer a manual.

Biggest concern with the s65 motor is the tight tolerances the rod bearings were made with which causes premature wear and if they fail it's catastrophic for the motor. These are replaced now as preventative maintenance by most owners, and is a pricey job but essential for peace of mind. Another issue on them is throttle body actuators that can fail. These will leave you stranded if they do, no damage to engine.

Other than that, it's a 12 year old car with plenty of bits that will wear and tear no doubt.

Depends what way people look at it. You could buy something a lot fresher with higher depreciation and lower running and maintenance costs.

Still early days in the process, yet to test drive one but will hopefully get that done this week and see what kind of deal can be done.

I was thinking of the previous model with smg gearbox.
    Best of luck with the search.

The E92 M3 is an absolutely epic car. That engine is in a completely different league to anything else I've tried. The DCT box is sublime. The handing is what you'd expect from an M car.

Take care of the rod bearings and they're pretty reliable as M3s go actually. Obviously there is the M tax on everything parts wise, but you can't buy an M car and then start fretting about the running costs.

Someone mentioned about Irish dealers and poor photos

I was looking to see when my old car would go up on Carzone out of curiosity, it is a glc 220 with the amg styling pack , nice cavansite blue and tan interior .

It has literally never looked worse , there isn’t a mark on the car I just hadn’t bothered washing it for a few weeks as it was being traded .

Looks like they didn’t bother either before taking the pics , the pics with the background are absolutely garbage aswell.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/glc-class/used-2017-172-mercedes-benz-glc-class-dublin-fpa-202007151257687

Cyrus wrote: »
    Someone mentioned about Irish dealers and poor photos

I was looking to see when my old car would go up on Carzone out of curiosity, it is a glc 220 with the amg styling pack , nice cavansite blue and tan interior .

It has literally never looked worse , there isn’t a mark on the car I just hadn’t bothered washing it for a few weeks as it was being traded .

Looks like they didn’t bother either before taking the pics , the pics with the background are absolutely garbage aswell.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/glc-class/used-2017-172-mercedes-benz-glc-class-dublin-fpa-202007151257687

That’s about as bad as I’ve seen for a car at that price.
    Car looks like new.
    You hardly drove it over three years. 6k Miles a year?

• Advertisement

That’s about as bad as I’ve seen for a car at that price.
    Car looks like new.
    You hardly drove it over three years. 6k Miles a year?

Yeah about that , we live near the dart in Dublin so most of the driving is local as I take that to work and my wife is just bringing the kids around , odd trip to wexico to see the folks and odd trip to Kerry and that’s it

It’s literally as new anyone in the market for one would be getting a clean car.

But the ad depressed me .

This is what it actually looked like

zszwCkz.jpg

And this is what I changed it for (ev made sense given the mileage !)

iGCMCgI.jpg

Fbd0Eoz.jpg

Advertisement