Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would you go next...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Quick question, would a B7 RS4 be a theft risk?
    Figured golf Rs are the new targets, RS4 probably wouldn't be half as quick in the real world so I'm thinking the RS4 would be grand.

Half as quick as a golf r? Do you mean an S4? RS4 is 420bhp and would demolish an r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not sure a Golf fits in here with the recent heavy metal being posted but here’s the new one I’m driving this week. Had the new Leon last week so it’s a good back to back comparison.

6-E77-D23-E-7-F02-46-B6-A5-C9-0-AC01-A6-E69-E5.jpg
    7-A6-D5-CA6-3950-4-B2-B-AF34-3-BB245869173.jpg
    43-F55-D9-C-CDDE-41-C0-A146-A8654684295-F.jpg
    6-C9-CC960-3449-48-AC-BA66-B6-ED7-B9-AD905.jpg
    59-ED056-F-00-E7-4441-A3-E3-67-E0-EFD58-F16.jpg
    FFC55-F21-ED17-4-DE5-90-B4-769-ECE152627.jpg
    3-EDAA3-F9-9-C90-42-AD-9-C3-D-6-D01668-E4-EEE.jpg
    D013-DE3-A-4024-4-D4-A-A7-FD-C20-F8-D697-FF4.jpg
    1944765-F-74-FD-4593-957-F-13-E33-F59-C46-C.jpg
    7-D279863-411-A-4851-912-C-E232748-E2891.jpg
    4-FAD8770-063-B-4-CE4-962-F-E8-D3-FE342-C47.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Wailin wrote: »
    Half as quick as a golf r? Do you mean an S4? RS4 is 420bhp and would demolish an r.

No I mean an RS4, I suppose I was more thinking of RS4 vs dsg R, which is incredibly easy to drive unbelievably fast. "Not half as fast in the real world" was an exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would be a brave man buying a Golf in that colour. I think for bang for your bucks a 1 year new model Leon would be a better buy. The gap in terms of product between the two has really narrowed in their latest incarnation.

The difference in suspension setup is quite noticeable, the Golf is a lot smoother but an R-Line would be a better comparison. The GTI and R will still be as desirable as the 7 given time I think.

I think you have to go to engines above 150bhp to get rear independent suspension on the Leon and Octavia whereas it's standard on the 150bhp versions upwards Golf and A3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Which did you prefer Mark?
    I saw that you quite liked the rear lights on the Leon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

It’s hard to make a real judgement without sitting in or driving either car but to my eyes the Leon is a better looking car and has the nicer interior too. Be interesting to hear your thoughts Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jesus the new golf is not a handsome car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That new Leon is an attractive car.
    Colour aside, the golf does nothing for me. I’ve seen a couple of 202’s and they are indistinguishable from the mark 7 to the average joe.
    Very hard to justify the extra spend on the VW.
    I enjoyed the review Mark did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looking at fiesta st on ford.ie and I see they only do a full spec one now, being an st3 with performance pack for just under 30k for 3door and just over for 5door.

Having a peek then at bringing similar in from the north and see this, 1 year old and 7k, or almost 25% less.

Screenshot-20200728-123154-uk-co-autotrader-androidconsumersearch.jpg

Or then there's the real answer here which has double the capacity and cylinders and probably less likely to be a novelty.

Screenshot-20200728-123427-uk-co-autotrader-androidconsumersearch.jpg

Filmed the Golf tonight (I’ve two other cars to do this week so I’m trying to make the most of the bright evenings but three is madness)... it’s really hard to fault it. There’s no bonnet struts anymore, the glove box isn’t carpeted but Jesus 99.9% of buyers won’t even realise or care. The plastics are still great quality, the Style model I have rides so comfortably, it handles well, the base Golf starts at the price you can get a Leon FR for though and maybe that’s where it’ll lose out. 1.5 eTSI engine is nippy, economical, even the stop/start system is better than anything I’ve driven. Wheels, looks & price are probably the weak points but to drive... it’s solid.

Love the Fiesta ST, have one in a few weeks and dying to have a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Try one of those Fiesta's. If the mk7 is anything to go by the will be brilliant craic to drive. They seem to have sorted the choppy ride in the new one too. Only thing coming from German cars the build quality especially on the interior won't be what you are used to. For the price though, they are hard to beat. You've already done the mega fast hot hatch with the R. I actually think the 140i mightn't be for you either.

MarkN wrote: »
    Filmed the Golf tonight (I’ve two other cars to do this week so I’m trying to make the most of the bright evenings but three is madness)... it’s really hard to fault it. There’s no bonnet struts anymore, the glove box isn’t carpeted but Jesus 99.9% of buyers won’t even realise or care. The plastics are still great quality, the Style model I have rides so comfortably, it handles well, the base Golf starts at the price you can get a Leon FR for though and maybe that’s where it’ll lose out. 1.5 eTSI engine is nippy, economical, even the stop/start system is better than anything I’ve driven. Wheels, looks & price are probably the weak points but to drive... it’s solid.

Love the Fiesta ST, have one in a few weeks and dying to have a go!

Top Gear magazine this month have a group test of the 1.5 litre versions of the new golf, Seat Leon and BMW 118i.
    They reckon the BMW was the best overall and the only reservation was the snout on it.
    This was the same verdict that Car magazine had last month. Both reckon the front wheel drive platform is a peach to drive, quality is high and not using a touch screen for everything a bonus.
    Looking here the 118i is mid thirties which is similar to golf but more than the Seat, so probably a viable competitor.
    You’ve experience of all three Mark. What do you think?

1 series is good, can’t say the FWD makes it a poor car to have fun driving, interior is well up on previous 1 series and yes, when you spec a 1.5 Golf R-Line with literally bigger wheels it’s over €34,000. You’re always going to get people who want a Golf though and cost alone won’t change that. It’ll sell better than the Leon or 1 series for that reason alone. If I had the pick of them though and money no object I think the BMW would have to win.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Looking at fiesta st on ford.ie and I see they only do a full spec one now, being an st3 with performance pack for just under 30k for 3door and just over for 5door.

Having a peek then at bringing similar in from the north and see this, 1 year old and 7k, or almost 25% less.

Screenshot-20200728-123154-uk-co-autotrader-androidconsumersearch.jpg

Or then there's the real answer here which has double the capacity and cylinders and probably less likely to be a novelty.

Screenshot-20200728-123427-uk-co-autotrader-androidconsumersearch.jpg

The M140i is very cheap, what’s the mileage and is it a manual?

maddness wrote: »
    The M140i is very cheap, what’s the mileage and is it a manual?

It's auto with 31k miles.

What's the VRT like on something like that? My 2015 R was nearly €6.5k in December and its gone up since instead of down

Around 12-13k

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Around 12-13k

Where do you get that figure??

Same engine in my car.

Ok, but not really how it works.
    The tax band for the car means revenue will charge 27% of what the deem the OMSP of the car to be. The car is actually on the calculator. I don't know the NOX so this is worst case NOX which is €600, so should be somewhere between 7500 - 8000 euro.

Capture.png

If it's identical to mine NOx is €130, 0.026 g/km. Yeah I forgot about the value of the car so you're right, its a bit more reasonable.

Ok, but not really how it works.
    The tax band for the car means revenue will charge 27% of what the deem the OMSP of the car to be. The car is actually on the calculator. I don't know the NOX so this is worst case NOX which is €600, so should be somewhere between 7500 - 8000 euro.

Capture.png

That's not too bad, thought it would be worse.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Say £18,500 to buy the NI one, which is €20,300. Add 8ish VRT so just over €28k. It is a private sale vs a dealer so not completely comparing apples but gives an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Very nice spec on that 140i.

Say £18,500 to buy the NI one, which is €20,300. Add 8ish VRT so just over €28k. It is a private sale vs a dealer so not completely comparing apples but gives an idea.

Even taking a straight deal discount into account from the dealer I'd say you are still saving a few grand on the private one, to stick an extended 12 month BMW warranty on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

About 5k cheaper up north.

18800k stg is 20700 euro. Add in around 7700 for VRT + NOx give you 28400 or so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Noah G

Hi so I never bought a brand new car , dont think I will maybe in good few years.

I have a 2013 Volkswagen CC have it about 3 years now on the look out for a BMW 320d or 520d around between 2014 - 2016

Cant see any I like here , so think I'm going to go up the north vrt seems to be Around 2k - 4k

Any thoughts on your cars above?

How often do you all change your car if you buy second hand?

Does anyone have a second car just fun / weekend car / project car

• Advertisement

Two quite different cars, the blue one here is the older model. The One up north is the second revised LCi 2 and it’s a shadow edition. That’s why I asked about the price, at £18,800 it’s very cheap. Even on a private sale the cheapest are mostly 20 grand plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Two quite different cars, the blue one here is the older model. The One up north is the second revised LCi 2 and it’s a shadow edition. That’s why I asked about the price, at £18,800 it’s very cheap. Even on a private sale the cheapest are mostly 20 grand plus.

Here’s a nice 2018 that’s v good value

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007201479815?minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&advertising-location=at_cars&homeDeliveryAdverts=include&year-from=2018&postcode=N87EX&model=1%20SERIES&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=BMW&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Seems to be no shortage of them, they are cheap to lease in UK so you often see them in supermarkets likely bought at auction.

I’d really love to get one of them, probably the last 6 cylinder hot hatch we will ever see.

Apparently the 3 door is a better handling car but can’t remember the technical reason why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Noah G wrote: »
    (...)

Any thoughts on your cars above?

How often do you all change your car if you buy second hand?

Does anyone have a second car just fun / weekend car / project car
    No thoughts about BMWs, a brand I've yet to own. Was looking at a 2-series convert week end before last, but didn't get the chance to test drive it.

I never buy new, always near(ish) new (1 owner only, 30kmiles / 50kkms max, 3 years old max), and I change if I don't like the ownership experience (FIAT, Volvo) or due to changing circumstances (car written off, uneconomical to maintain, or eg currently (see below))..

Currently a 2016 Jag XE S bought March '19, and loving that car. And still running an '07 Merc C220 CDI (W203), bought in '12 (IIRC) at 30 kmiles, now on 115. For the age and mileage, that car owes us nowt.

The weekend fun car is our '98 MX-5. NA 1.8, bought in '01 with 14 kmiles and kept through the years, currently on 94 (IIRC). Original UK car, been imported and reg'd in Ireland (when we moved there), back to UK after, imported and reg'd in Luxembourg. Same again, for the age and mileage, that car owes us nowt. Then again, we *do* look after them.

By 'circumstances' above, e.g. we moved to the continent in early 2018. Kept & imported-reg'd the RHD Merc & MX-5 to put us on, sold the RHD Mini Cooper S convert just before moving.

As we've been settling since, bought the LHD Jag last year. Now I'm thinking of selling the RHDs Merc & MX-5 and 'downgrade-update' with a near(ish) new LHD 4-seater convert. Whence the quick BMW 2-series looksee the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

Casati wrote: »

That's a smashing looking example with a nice spec.

Anyone know if the black panel display dial can be set to km/h or will the dial always show the mph scale?

2020-07-30-11-52-02-2018-Grey-BMW-1-Series-3-0-M140i-Shadow-Edition-Sports-Hatch-Auto-s-s-5dr-for.png

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007201479815?minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&advertising-location=at_cars&homeDeliveryAdverts=include&year-from=2018&postcode=N87EX&model=1%20SERIES&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=BMW&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Seems to be no shortage of them, they are cheap to lease in UK so you often see them in supermarkets likely bought at auction.

I’d really love to get one of them, probably the last 6 cylinder hot hatch we will ever see.

Apparently the 3 door is a better handling car but can’t remember the technical reason why

I bought one recently, they really are brilliant. That 2018 is great value but the vrt is about an extra €1500 for a year newer. The 17 up north is very cheap but has three owners in three years?

No the dials are not fully digital so you cannot change them to kph easily. However you can code the centre bottom digital display where the temperature/clock is, to display the speed in kph/mph. I have it done on my F10.

eljono wrote: »
    That's a smashing looking example with a nice spec.

Anyone know if the black panel display dial can be set to km/h or will the dial always show the mph scale?

2020-07-30-11-52-02-2018-Grey-BMW-1-Series-3-0-M140i-Shadow-Edition-Sports-Hatch-Auto-s-s-5dr-for.png

I have this very problem on mine. Apparently you can code it to kms but there is a fairly large digital kilometres display.

No the dials are not fully digital so you cannot change them to kph easily. However you can code the centre bottom digital display where the temperature/clock is, to display the speed in kph/mph. I have it done on my F10.

You don’t need to code it on the 140, it’s already there.

I used Bimmercode to do it. No idea what the actual code key is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pretty nice 530e for sale here. He will struggle to sell it at that money on a private sale.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/bmw-530e-msport-msport-and-comfort-packs/25375329

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

mickdw wrote: »
    Pretty nice 530e for sale here. He will struggle to sell it at that money on a private sale.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/bmw-530e-msport-msport-and-comfort-packs/25375329

He will struggle as he is the third owner and asking price is on a higher side for private sale. You can import one with a single owner for slightly more.

I'd be wary of that dealer. Remember reading loads of reviews with poor experiences.

mickdw wrote: »

Too expensive.
    That would have the smaller battery pack too. He probably hopes to flip it and get a newer one from U.K. for same money before end of the year.

I bought one recently, they really are brilliant. That 2018 is great value but the vrt is about an extra €1500 for a year newer. The 17 up north is very cheap but has three owners in three years?

Yeah saw that. But the price and spec look good, so maybe worth a call. Need to shift my own first though, which may take some time. Even ones waiting in auction have higher guide procing although they are all 2018. How do you know that one is lci2? I don't know what the external differences are, just the instrument cluster?

Screenshot-20200730-204129-com-android-chrome.jpg
    IMG}Screenshot-20200730-204148-com-android-chrome.jpg

Yeah saw that. But the price and spec look good, so maybe worth a call. Need to shift my own first though, which may take some time. Even ones waiting in auction have higher guide procing although they are all 2018. How do you know that one is lci2? I don't know what the external differences are, just the instrument cluster?

Screenshot-20200730-204129-com-android-chrome.jpg
    IMG}Screenshot-20200730-204148-com-android-chrome.jpg

LCI 2 came after June 2017. The shadow edition only came from then on.

I'd be wary of that dealer. Remember reading loads of reviews with poor experiences.

Absolute cowboys. I tried to deal with them a few years ago and they were terrible. No idea about the car they were selling and they essentially just buy auction stock and sell them on. Cargiant are the very same.

So I have been in contact with this place this week but unfortunately they are offering me 14 for my own. I guess it's to be expected, the way the trade works.

I'll have to try and shift it privately if I am going to change it.

So I have been in contact with this place this week but unfortunately they are offering me 14 for my own. I guess it's to be expected, the way the trade works.

I'll have to try and shift it privately if I am going to change it.

Not surprised. I got offered 16k for my 5 year old 530d a few weeks back by one of those we buy cars crowds. As you said it's to be expected. Selling anything over 2.0 litre to the trade is going to result in a low offer as they are only buying it to pass it on to another trader so the more middle men involved the lower the offer. I'm convinced you really need to find a buyer who is actually in the market for your car rather than a trader who just sees it as stock to flip over for a profit. Not easy unfortunately on something a little out of the ordinary in a country where you are excessively taxed on even the most mundane of private transport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement