Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Parking

• 25-11-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So I am new to riding and I have only been driving for a few weeks and I am wondering if I have to park my bike in a car parking spot or on the path out of the way for example in gorey town I often see bikes and scooters parked on the path and never in the parking spots in the main street although if I do park in the spot do I still have to pay and display. Being that it would be so easy for someone to steall my ticket .
    Thanks Arslan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I was told recently that there is no charge for motorcycle parking in a public place, (as long as it's parked properly/legally obviously)
    Someone please correct me if that's untrue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I park as close as physically possible to wherever I'm going while trying to keep out if the way.

Never pay for parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I tend to think what if i was a Car driver (being one myself) and what if i was a pedestrian (also being one myself)

So i park in a spot that will not impact either of these. Basically dont park like a bollix.

Parking on a wide path is fine as long as it doesnt impede pedestrians.

Personally i wouldnt take up a ticketed spot with my bike as it takes away a whole car space and sure my bike can park anywhere else.

Be conscious of others is my rule of thumb, its done me well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I was going to ask this same question about motorbike parking etiquette, what about here next to the bike rack?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2704032,-9.0540931,3a,75y,13.03h,82.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJSwytmd-4mQraPx9rv0Evw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would see no issue parking beside that rack at all. can even lock the bike to the base of the rack (left side based on your image)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was going to ask this same question about motorbike parking etiquette, what about here next to the bike rack?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2704032,-9.0540931,3a,75y,13.03h,82.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJSwytmd-4mQraPx9rv0Evw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    Perfect spot. Although I'd rather lock my motorbike to one of the signs there rather than the bike rack. No need to take up a bicycle space and less chance of a bicycle banging into your motorbike.
    As listermint said, any wide footpath is fine. Just don't obstruct others like pedesterians, wheelchair users, if cars can parallel park make sure doors can open if you're up on the kerb beside them. To be honest it's the easiest thing in the world, you'd have to almost go out of your way or be completely stupid to block someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It should not create an obstruction, but different traffic wardens might have different opinions. There is also the issue that private land will have different rules like the ISFC, which is said to clamp bikes at times. It mightn't always be clear where Council land ends and private lands begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stokesdiva

I live in Waterford and I parked my bike on footpath were everyone parks their motorbikes and bicycle doing it for years in the center of town not far from where I worked. Came out and had parking ticket put behind light for parking on path my bike the only one don't know why it was just a one off incident never heard of anyone else getting one. Still park there maybe the warden didn't like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

stokesdiva wrote: »
    I live in Waterford and I parked my bike on footpath were everyone parks their motorbikes and bicycle doing it for years in the center of town not far from where I worked. Came out and had parking ticket put behind light for parking on path my bike the only one don't know why it was just a one off incident never heard of anyone else getting one. Still park there maybe the warden didn't like me.

You mean the ticket you never got because maybe it blew away or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Taken from another Irish bike forum site less than a week ago.

Proof that traffic wardens and county councils are wrong and joe public can win in court...................

Don't mean to be self important by starting new thread but I do think this is worth sharing as there seems to be a lot of opinions on this- but here are real facts/outcome of a real legal challenge.

I just contested a fine in cork district court for a footpath parking penalty I received while parked in a bike rack in cork. Warden was fairly smug about dishing it out too even though the bike was posing no obstruction. I Wrote an appeal but the county council just replied with a 2 sentence "shut up and pay up" generic response. I didn't budge and got a summons to district court to explain why I hadn't shelled out €60 notes.

Got to court and the judge struck the case out in my favour (Wahey!!) on the basis of the following:

I took photos to prove there were NO SIGNS prohibiting motorcycle parking at the rack.
    I checked Road Traffic Acts and local by laws- wherein it is not stated anywhere that a motorbike cannot be parked in a bike rack....(I KNOW you cannot legally park on a footpath) - but there is NOTHING in law to say you can't park in a bike rack.
    Warden on day told me to my face he was issuing penalty to prevent public getting injured by bike! That does not constitute "reasonable grounds" under Road traffic act.

In the end the judge latched onto the "no signs" bit particularly and asked the warden and their solicitor how was I supposed to know I wasn't allowed to park there? They mumbled something off between them but I knew straight away they were f#cked.

The judge asked me if I had appealed to the county council. I said I had- he stated that as I had made a more than reasonable argument and had already brought it to the councils attention he'd strike it out unless the solicitor wanted to contest. I could see her weighing me up, but she had the cop on to drop it there and then.

I was going to make an application for costs against the county council for wasting my f@cking time- but it was satisfaction enough to see Captain HiViz realise his pants had just been pulled down in public by the long arm of the law.

So there you have it folks, forget all that "it's a grey area" bull****. If you think you are not causing an obstruction and a bike rack has no prohibiting signs - then you ain't gotta pay no fines! Just make sure you show up in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Problem is that District Court decisions don't set precedents. In other words, next week a different judge in a different court could consider exactly the same facts and come to the opposite decision and there's nothing you can do except appeal.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement