Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

From what i can gather from talking to people from his club and from UCC (for whom his form this winter by all accounts was very poor) while he loves his hurling it's not the be all and end all with him. He just seems to lack that manic hunger and desire and this seems to manifest itself in a questionable work rate on the pitch.

I would never criticism a young lad who wasn't willing to put his whole life on hold for a sport and that seems to be the case with John. I would be surprised if he was still playing Inter County hurling in 3 or 4 years time.
    He does look out of form and distracted at the moment but maybe he is more focused on his exams over the next few months. I think its possible he will get back on track when he is out of collage and has a more steady lifestyle

I'm sorry but young Cody isn't up to it either , did he strike a ball yesterday or even last weekend either ????

By the way has Padraic Maher something on that ref ???? Surely he should have seen red after the high challenge on TJ , I know it wasn't a wild swing but he broke his hurl of TJ's neck ???? He should have definitely seen red in 2012 AI semi and yesterday also .
    He struck a lot of ball particularly in the Waterford match and has generally done ok so I dont know what you were watching. Having said that he has a tendancy to give away stupid frees and doesnt look to have much pace. I think he has done enough to be given more time during the league without being written off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭blackwave

If anyone was deserving of having a Laochra Gael done on him it was JJ. http://www.tg4.ie/ga/sports/laochra-gael/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

blackwave wrote: »
    If anyone was deserving of having a Laochra Gael done on him it was JJ. http://www.tg4.ie/ga/sports/laochra-gael/

It was repeated tonight definitely the best defender I've ever seen

Just looking ahead to the galway game which will be tricky .Hopefully home advantage will help but galway will want to regain some pride after a poor showing against dublin but the league will be up and down but two more wins would guarantee a quarter final spot.Richie hogan looks set to miss the next game hopefully kelly and maher will start again. I'd like to see conor martin and conor o shea get some game time maybe give jackie a run out but shane pender is improving steadily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

Topcat32 wrote: »
    He struck a lot of ball particularly in the Waterford match and has generally done ok so I dont know what you were watching. Having said that he has a tendancy to give away stupid frees and doesnt look to have much pace. I think he has done enough to be given more time during the league without being written off completely.

And I think you might be looking at some other KK backs with green helmets on ???? Time wil tell I suppose

And I think you might be looking at some other KK backs with green helmets on ???? Time wil tell I suppose

And I think you might be getting a little mixed up on purpose. Im usually able to identify who is playing corner back and who is playing half back and he has a very different body shape to Paul Murphy and Joey Holden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

What did they say about Maher's lunge on TJ? I think Tipp are a bit rash in the tackle at crucial times, especially when the game is still there in the melting pot! They gave away a few needless ones in 2nd half when there was no need to dive in to them.

Wasn't a whisper about it. How often is the hurl broken in that part and such a high challenge. It was a straight red IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    Just looking ahead to the galway game which will be tricky .Hopefully home advantage will help but galway will want to regain some pride after a poor showing against dublin but the league will be up and down but two more wins would guarantee a quarter final spot.Richie hogan looks set to miss the next game hopefully kelly and maher will start again. I'd like to see conor martin and conor o shea get some game time maybe give jackie a run out but shane pender is improving steadily

I think Shane has done well in the 2 games overall..plus semi-final and final last year. He's steady.

Maybe if we get over Galway, JT could get a run out but i don't think, up until now away, that SP has done a whole lot wrong.

What's the story with Richie Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What's the story with Richie Hogan?

Some kind of a niggle with his back apparently.

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    And I think you might be getting a little mixed up on purpose. Im usually able to identify who is playing corner back and who is playing half back and he has a very different body shape to Paul Murphy and Joey Holden.

Also " He struck a lot of ball particularly in the Waterford match "

I watched the Waterford match again and I'm not too sure where your getting your above stats and here's what I summarize his game as :

He roughly or literally had about 6-7 touches of the ball in the whole game , with 2 of them been possession in hand with both of them were hand passed to him with no Waterford forward near him that he struck and cleared down the field.He was awarded one free , he blocked one ball , also got hooked himself , he gave away approx 4 fouls with two of them blatantly picking the ball of the ground in front of the ref, could have given away 1 or 2 more but advantage played that Waterford scored from anyway. At least 5-6 points were scored from his defensive area of the field and between himself and S Pender , they nearly let the Waterford forward score a goal in the 33 min.

Now I maybe incorrect by 1 or 2 of the possession counts but I hardly class the above as " he struck at lot of ball " ??

Nothing personal against the guy as I don't know him , just saying it as I see it and I hope he proves me wrong throughout the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well lads. Best directions to the Kilkenny Centre of Excellence in Dunmore? I'll be coming from the Tinryland junction on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Well lads. Best directions to the Kilkenny Centre of Excellence in Dunmore? I'll be coming from the Tinryland junction on the motorway

Take exit 8 for Kilkenny and head in towards the city. Follow the signs for Castlecomer and its a few miles out that road on the left. You can't miss the goalposts and nets etc when driving past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Take exit 8 for Kilkenny and head in towards the city. Follow the signs for Castlecomer and its a few miles out that road on the left. You can't miss the goalposts and nets etc when driving past.

Great. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

You can't miss the goalposts and nets etc when driving past your name is Kevin Kelly.
    FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Looking forward to seeing bolger play at some stage.anybody know if hes injured or just not making match day panel at present.?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing bolger play at some stage.anybody know if hes injured or just not making match day panel at present.?

Just not making the match day panel. Has been playing away with Carlow IT, in fact he was taken off in their extra time exit to UCD in the quarter finals last Wednesday.

Thanks for that babyjesus.against dublin 21s and for clara v cula I was very impressed by him.bolger and kevin kelly are the 2 for me who can step forward.

Just not making the match day panel. Has been playing away with Carlow IT, in fact he was taken off in their extra time exit to UCD in the quarter finals last Wednesday.

Alot of lads suprised bolger not on the panel at the moment. He was taken off early for carlow against ucd but he got two goals in the match before that.Hopefully he'll keep the head down and when the ground hardens up he'll find some form

Alot of lads suprised bolger not on the panel at the moment. He was taken off early for carlow against ucd but he got two goals in the match before that.Hopefully he'll keep the head down and when the ground hardens up he'll find some form

Lot of hurling to be played yet. We'll need a good panel...esp. in the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

You have to serve a tough apprenticeship under Brian, often grinding away in Walsh cup only to be dropped, or warming the subs bench for several years with only sporadic appearance, I mean look at poor Diarmuid Cody....oh wait, bad example!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Hitchens wrote: »
    FYP :)

Touché :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

Formosa wrote: »
    You have to serve a tough apprenticeship under Brian, often grinding away in Walsh cup only to be dropped, or warming the subs bench for several years with only sporadic appearance, I mean look at poor Diarmuid Cody....oh wait, bad example!

Very good!! :D

Bolger has great potential, like Kelly, he's a potent goalscorer which is a great asset to have. From what I hear he has been going well of late in training. Was going well last year too before he suffered an injury. Actually expected him to make 24 last year before that injury.
    Think he'll be on 24 this year because of his goal threat. Like Kelly though, I feel he doesn't mix it enough! Would I like to have him playing in a tough, physical match with 10 mins to go and needing a score? Simple answer- No!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Great. Thanks

If you're coming from Castletown/Gorey, would you not take the scenic route through Borris, Goresbridge, Gowran and drop in to Bennettsbridge and see some of the 'Bridge guys in action. The records they have just achieved over the past 2 years will hardly be surpassed:

Kilkenny Junior Hurling Champions.
    All-Ireland Junior Hurling Champions.
    Kilkenny Intermediate Hurling Champions.
    All-Ireland Intermediate Hurling Champions.

They have now been promoted to Senior hurling status to bring 'Bridge hurling back to the stage it enjoyed in the 50's, 60's, and 70's with the brilliant club and Kilkenny hurlers of that era.

They have made us proud of their achievements and we wish them every luck in the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Championship for the coming years and expect to see quite a few of this very young team make the Kilkenny senior's very shortly. They have the potential to bring Kilkenny hurling to another level.

It would be great to see them get a special achievement award in acknowdgement of their efforts, and particularly as the All Ireland Club matches are always played in atrocious wet and cold weather in the middle of Winter.

What would b your strongest 26 we have at the moment in the county.mine
    1 e murphy
    2 p murphy
    3 j holden
    4 s pender
    5 p walsh
    6 k joyce
    7c buckley
    8 m fennelly
    9c fogarty
    10 tj
    11 richie
    12 larks
    13 c fennelly
    14 walter
    15k kelly
    16jackie
    17r lennon
    18c bolger
    19m kelly
    20l blanchfield
    21 b kennedy
    22 j maher
    23l ryan
    24d coady
    25 jonjo
    26r reid

St Kierans 2-12 CBS Kilkenny 1-11

It's another Leinster title for Kierans but they were pushed all the way by a dogged CBS team. The man of the match, Sean Bolger, finished up with 11 pts but also on the losing team. Even though all but one of his scores were from frees, he was the forward that posed the greatest threat to Kierans throughout. He missed a few frees but then scored others from more difficult angles/longer distances. On the Kierans side Adrian Mullen finished with 1-9, with most of those pts from frees also. He was also a contender for man of the match. What won it for Kierans was the ability to get goals when the game seemed to be going away from them. After the second goal in particular, they immediately scored a point and never looked back. Best for the winners were D Mullen, E Delaney, Moylan. Others to figure for CBS were Drennan, Kavanagh & Sheehan.

Is sean bolger chris bolgers brother? What age is he?

Is sean bolger chris bolgers brother? What age is he?

Know nothing about him other than he's listed as O'Loughlins on the programme. Not massive but a fine hurler. Should see more of him in the black and amber later in the year.

Ok thanks for that his hardly his brother so.Whats this year's minor panel expected to be like? Galway have most of lasts years panel underage this year so they will probably be favourites

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that his hardly his brother so.Whats this year's minor panel expected to be like? Galway have most of lasts years panel underage this year so they will probably be favourites

If today's match is anything to go by, I wouldn't be very confident we'll have much of a forward threat. The majority of the scores today were from two players. CBS forwards were poor with Kieran's only marginally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would like to see Rob Lennon, James Maher and Kevin Kelly given another run against Galway this weekend. Cillian Buckley should return. Wouldn't mind if Chris Bolger started either. Jackie Tyrrell should be picked also even though Shane Prendergast has staked his claim to the left back position, we need to see what the back up can do in the event of injuries. Who would cover full back?

Joey went off with a knock and joyce went in full back.id expect the team to be pretty much the same maybe john joe will start, two wins out of the three matches should guarantee a qf

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

citykat wrote: »
    If today's match is anything to go by, I wouldn't be very confident we'll have much of a forward threat. The majority of the scores today were from two players. CBS forwards were poor with Kieran's only marginally better.

There are more forwards in the county than the Kierans and the CBS. Over the last few years this seems to be forgotten. Other lads are hurling with Waterford, Wexford, Tipperary and Laois colleges but are getting nowhere near the amount of exposure. There's plenty of other good forwards in the county like John Donnelly (Thomastown), James Bergin (Conahy), Sean Buggy (Erins Own), Jamie Norris (Piltown), Terry Dreelan (Graig) hurling with lesser "hurling" colleges. When Kilkenny last won a minor All-Ireland, the two key scoring forwards were Alan Murphy (Glenmore) and John Walsh (Mullinavat). Don't think they went to Kierans or CBS. Maybe the hype around Kierans and CBS games is doing more harm than good where familiarity breeds contempt and we could get another dose of it before the colleges season ends.

Joey went off with a knock and joyce went in full back.id expect the team to be pretty much the same maybe john joe will start, two wins out of the three matches should guarantee a qf

Any word on Joey and Richie Hogan this week?

I'd be inclined to start same team, barring injuries. They deserve another chance esp. Lennon, Maher and Kelly.

In saying that BC will probably chance it a wee bit and put somebody else in. It'd be good to get another 2pts in Galway.

League is very tight and there's not much room for manouvre. Hopefully it'll not be blowing a thunderstorm in Galway this week-end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'd be inclined to start same team, barring injuries. They deserve another chance esp. Lennon, Maher and Kelly.

In saying that BC will probably chance it a wee bit and put somebody else in. It'd be good to get another 2pts in Galway.

League is very tight and there's not much room for manouvre. Hopefully it'll not be blowing a thunderstorm in Galway this week-end.

Probably will, doubt if it will affect the hurling though.

• Advertisement

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    There are more forwards in the county than the Kierans and the CBS. Over the last few years this seems to be forgotten. Other lads are hurling with Waterford, Wexford, Tipperary and Laois colleges but are getting nowhere near the amount of exposure. There's plenty of other good forwards in the county like John Donnelly (Thomastown), James Bergin (Conahy), Sean Buggy (Erins Own), Jamie Norris (Piltown), Terry Dreelan (Graig) hurling with lesser "hurling" colleges. When Kilkenny last won a minor All-Ireland, the two key scoring forwards were Alan Murphy (Glenmore) and John Walsh (Mullinavat). Don't think they went to Kierans or CBS. Maybe the hype around Kierans and CBS games is doing more harm than good where familiarity breeds contempt and we could get another dose of it before the colleges season ends.

I'm well aware there are kilkenny lads hurling with schools other than Kierans/CBS. However, IMO both schools are bellwethers as to the general standard of minor hurling in Kilkenny. Hopefully there are hidden gems out there waiting to be unearthed but, these days with the preponderance of squads, any hurler worth his salt is more than likely already well known and in the system. Hopefully some of the guys you listed step up (Donnelly was on the team last year of course) and stake a place on the minor team as I wouldn't be over confident in what I saw last Saturday. You're correct about Walsh and Murphy but 8 of their team mates attended Kierans/CBS. There were plenty more on the bench, some of whom saw action in the replay. I don't follow your point about the Kierans/CBS games; familiarity, contempt?

Game is on in Nowlan Park.

citykat wrote: »
    Game is on in Nowlan Park.

For some reason i had it in my head it was in Galway..don't know why!!! Maybe thought it was away, home, away again in league.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

For some reason i had it in my head it was in Galway..don't know why!!! Maybe thought it was away, home, away again in league.

Thanks for that.

Good thing you found out before you were in a car half way to Salthill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

For anyone wondering the club fixtures have finally been published on kilkennygaa.ie

• Advertisement

Good thing you found out before you were in a car half way to Salthill.

Long way from Derry!!!

Great to see our good friend barry coming down to ref the match sunday....

What new faces would people like to see sunday? richie hogan should probably return but eoin murphy will be out for a number of weeks which is a blow no doubt but it's great to expose richie reid to some game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Team v Galway
    R Reid
    S Prendergast J Holden J Tyrrell
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    L Ryan C Fogarty
    C Fennelly TJ Reid J Maher
    W Walsh K Kelly R Hogan
    Subs.
    A Murphy
    P Murphy
    R Lennon
    D Cody
    B Kennedy
    C oShea
    C Martin
    JJ Farrell
    J Power
    M Malone

Usual 1 or 2 changes.kwlly and maher given a chance to build on tipp game.o shea and martin may get game time.also great to see jackie the terminator back.

Kilkenny (SH v Galway): Richie Reid; Shane Prendergast, Joey Holden, Jackie Tyrrell; Padraig Walsh, Kieran Joyce, Cillian Buckley; Lester Ryan, Conor Fogarty; Colin Fennelly, TJ Reid, James Maher; Walter Walsh, Kevin Kelly, Richie Hogan.

Would have liked to see R Lennon get more game time as we know K Joyce capabilities , also I know its old school but anyone think its worth trying W Walsh at full forward / on the edge of the sqaure to break / catch / offload dropping ball to the other 2 speed merchants on the full forward line

Most of the fowards at this level interchange throughout games and we're the same. Water was at 14 when he made tjs goal in the all Ireland but I agree I'm surprised he hasn't be giving more game time at full foward usually operates at 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What new faces would people like to see sunday? richie hogan should probably return but eoin murphy will be out for a number of weeks which is a blow no doubt but it's great to expose richie reid to some game time.

What injury does Eoin Murphy have?

Back injury which is apparently serious enough he'll miss the next couple of matches.its interesting that his brother alan is sub keeper

Back injury which is apparently serious enough he'll miss the next couple of matches.its interesting that his brother alan is sub keeper

Thought Brennan was next in line.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement