Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

I don't think Wexford folk expect a win. But there is at least a fair amount of hope, the manner of there victory in the league has given a possibly of a win which hasn't been there for a generation.

I also believe that Kilkenny won't take a win for granted, whereas in other years no matter what is said, it was seen as a small hurdle to be crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Wexford on their own patch are going to provide serious opposition, I think Davy and his team will have Wexford at peak fitness and KK may struggle to cope with their tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Got my ticket this evening.. Club got 60. 6 covered, 14 uncovered and 40 terrace. Think every club got the same number but not sure on breakdown. Seemingly Croke Park wanted them to go on general sale but the County Board insisted on going through the clubs. No idea why Croke Park would want that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd say the hurling community wants a big hurling year this year to counter the 'Super 8's' in the football next year.

Big games needed in hurling throughout the whole summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Anyone who thinks that Wexford are not a serious team is living in the Dean's Clould Cockoo Land. They were exceptional in the league winning their Division and then moving up and beating us no bother. If we did not have Ger Mick and Padraig I would give us little chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

unrealtime wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that Wexford are not a serious team is living in the Dean's Clould Cockoo Land. They were exceptional in the league winning their Division and then moving up and beating us no bother. If we did not have Ger Mick and Padraig I would give us little chance.

Well by the sound of it Padraig Walsh while recovering well will not be ready in time and won't be rushed.
    Ger is lighting it up in training and crucifying lads with power, pace and skill.
    Michael Fennelly is 50-50 that's from the horse's mouth meet him in town yesterday. If he is ready he's very unlikely to start I would think. They might throw him in at the end if we need him or if he's feeling 100% and wants a run.

I'm under no illusions that we're just going to walk into Wexford park slap their yellow bellies and they'll role over. It will be a very tough physical, low scoring game with chances at either end at a premium. Whoever is that bit sharper in front of the sticks will obviously get over the line. Full of clichés there I know.

I think we have lots of forward options to me our biggest issue is defence in effect you probably have 1 of the six that you can definitely name at this point and he hasn't even been playing up to his usual high standard. The other 5 positions could be anyone there are probables but I don't know anyone outside the set up that could confidently name the other 5 after Paul Murphy.

So
    1 Eoin Murphy✓
    2 Paul Murphy✓
    3 could be a few here Joey Holden, Kieran Joyce, Conor Delaney and I've heard rumours of Joe Lyng.
    4 Conor O'Shea will probably play here but far from certain
    5,6 &7 could be a load of lads on the half back line Joey, Buckley, Fogarty, Joyce, O'Shea, Joe Lyng, Jason Cleere, Lester Ryan.
    And you have to pick your midfield out of those half back options and Ollie Walsh, Richie Hogan, Walter Walsh.

I hope Cody and Co have this sorted because this is where we struggled the last day against the Wexicans. If our defence can hold its own and the players are there to do it then we can win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

With just a week to go what are lads thoughts on team selection?I've heard padraig could make it but weather he'll be sharp enough is another thing,interestingly I've heard buckley will be our number 6 and some lads saying fennelly will play while others saying he'll be a sub.Ger aylward will more than likely start.I presume conor o shea will hold onto the number jersey
    My team if fennelly starts
    Murphy
    Murphy,padraig,shea
    Fogarty,buckley,joyce
    Lester,fennelly
    Walter,richie,tj
    Kevin kelly,colin,ger
    If fennelly wasn't ready to start I'd start cleere at 5 and fogarty mf,if padraig isn't fit he'll probably put joyce or joey in at 3

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    unrealtime wrote: »
    A few changes from speculated team. Top quality side really showing strength in depth. I would be surprised and more worried about the future if that team were to lose.

Real starting team is different from that on the webside

1. Darren Brennan
    2. Michael Cody
    3. Conor Delaney
    4. Ryan Bergin
    5. Tommy Walsh
    6. Jason Cleere
    7. conor doheny
    8. Huw LAwlor
    9. PAt Lyng
    10. Alan Murphy
    11. Sean Morrissey
    12. Billy Ryan
    13. Shane WAlsh
    14. Liam Blanchfield
    15. John Walsh
    You seem to be in the know? Any idea of how the seniors will line out?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Terrace Tickets for next Saturday Evening's game in Innovate Wexford Park will go on public sale in Nowlan Park at the following times:
    Bank Holiday Monday 5pm to 7pm
    Tuesday Morning 10am to 12 Midday. [Or until stocks run out]
    Tickets cost €20 for adults and €5 for children. There will be a facility for rebate for Students and Pensioners on tickets purchased for Clonard Terrace.
    Please note that all stand tickets have been sold. Family tickets are available for the Clonard Terrace while adult tickets are available for the Pineridge Terrace. Any unsold tickets will be returned to Leinster GAA at midday on Tuesday.
    Please note that these are the only times tickets will be available at Nowlan Park during the coming week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Well by the sound of it Padraig Walsh while recovering well will not be ready in time and won't be rushed.
    Ger is lighting it up in training and crucifying lads with power, pace and skill.
    Michael Fennelly is 50-50 that's from the horse's mouth meet him in town yesterday. If he is ready he's very unlikely to start I would think. They might throw him in at the end if we need him or if he's feeling 100% and wants a run.

I'm under no illusions that we're just going to walk into Wexford park slap their yellow bellies and they'll role over. It will be a very tough physical, low scoring game with chances at either end at a premium. Whoever is that bit sharper in front of the sticks will obviously get over the line. Full of clichés there I know.

I think we have lots of forward options to me our biggest issue is defence in effect you probably have 1 of the six that you can definitely name at this point and he hasn't even been playing up to his usual high standard. The other 5 positions could be anyone there are probables but I don't know anyone outside the set up that could confidently name the other 5 after Paul Murphy.

So
    1 Eoin Murphy✓
    2 Paul Murphy✓
    3 could be a few here Joey Holden, Kieran Joyce, Conor Delaney and I've heard rumours of Joe Lyng.
    4 Conor O'Shea will probably play here but far from certain
    5,6 &7 could be a load of lads on the half back line Joey, Buckley, Fogarty, Joyce, O'Shea, Joe Lyng, Jason Cleere, Lester Ryan.
    And you have to pick your midfield out of those half back options and Ollie Walsh, Richie Hogan, Walter Walsh.

I hope Cody and Co have this sorted because this is where we struggled the last day against the Wexicans. If our defence can hold its own and the players are there to do it then we can win this one.

Paul Murphy will probably start but he has been Kilkennys worst back the last few months, not sure i would have him down as a guaranteed.

Options are limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

RIP Sean 'Georgie' Leahy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

R.I.P. Georgie - what a legend in Kilkenny hurling circles.

He was one of my boyhood heroes. RIP Georgie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Georgie may you rest in peace RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

suirway wrote: »
    R.I.P. Georgie - what a legend in Kilkenny hurling circles.
    How true...absolute legend R.I.P

Charlie69 wrote: »
    How true...absolute legend R.I.P

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Do Kilkenny folk reckon blanchfield should start on Saturday? He hasn't really played well since the WF game last August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think blanchfield tends to get caught out running for loose ball, he's often a yard behind his man, whether out of a lack of pace, lack of workrate or a lack of reading the game I don't know. Some of those problems are easier to fix than others. Dunno if I can name six obviously more talented forwards to start ahead of him, but in terms of production this year he certainly isn't nailed on either.

Can't see him starting or playing

Tbh his form has being patchy and he is work in progress i do believe he'll make it in time.The way I see it is 5 of the 6 fowards will be tj,hogan,walter,ger and colin the other spot will be up for grabs possibly the likes of john joe,kevin kelly,conor martin,blanchfield,john power,mark bergin all at similar level

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    Tbh his form has being patchy and he is work in progress i do believe he'll make it in time.The way I see it is 5 of the 6 fowards will be tj,hogan,walter,ger and colin the other spot will be up for grabs possibly the likes of john joe,kevin kelly,conor martin,blanchfield,john power,mark bergin all at similar level

To a similar level which is not good enough. Id go with a youthful player like Blanchfield. Rest of them have had plenty of chances

Maybe your right but I think id go Kelly myself,it's a pity someone like bolger or john walsh didn't do more granted neither seen any league time.I was disappointed with walsh last wednesday night while bolger has being impressive in his 3 games for his club.I think myself the last spot will come down to Kelly, john joe or blanchfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Shefflin Kilkenny capable of causing an upset at Wexford Park, the headline of an article on the Irish Times website, nowhere in the article does Shefflin say a Kilkenny win would be an upset. The bookies have Kilkenny at 1/3 and you couldn't argue on that price based on what the respective teams have achieved in recent years.

I'd imagine there is a rush in Wexford to take the 3/1 odds on Wexford. 3/1 on odds for Kilkenny is nuts.

Kilkenny will win by 5/6 points if lads like Eanna Martin and Harry Kehow are playing. Kilkenny way stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Looks like Liam Of McGovern has done his ACL again which is unfortunate for him and the Wexicans. From vague recollection he didn't play most of the league and only came on as a sub in the league playoffs. He's a good player and will be a loss but they got this far without him they'll be able to adapt easily I would imagine.

Looks like Liam Of McGovern has done his ACL again which is unfortunate for him and the Wexicans. From vague recollection he didn't play most of the league and only came on as a sub in the league playoffs. He's a good player and will be a loss but they got this far without him they'll be able to adapt easily I would imagine.

Speedy recovery if true he was very good the year they went on the good run..lively corner forward.I think wexford have a few injuries where we have the full panel minus padraig which is obviously huge but getting fennelly and alyward are 2 huge additions unfortunately padraig is missing in a position we've had trouble but we've known for 5 weeks this might be the case so I'm sure the management have a plan in place.It's going to be very intresting to see what way the backs line out
    Could we see someone like fogarty at 3 and cillian at 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Joyce will start full back according to what I am hearing. If so my team is murphy joyce o shea. fogarty cleere buckley. lester and fennelly. TJ wally Hogan. Blanchfield Alyward Colin Fennelly. Prendergast will prob start corner back but personally think o shea has more to offer going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Joyce full back. Surprise is John Donnelly set to start up in the full forward line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Will team be named tomorrow night as its a Saturday game?

Team named friday night at 9 o clock

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Really impressed with donnelly last year as a minor some paw on him.showed in the 21 game how good he can be.still think bolger should be in consideration
    My team
    Murphy
    Murphy
    Joyce
    Oshea
    Joey
    Cleere
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Mick
    Tj
    Richie
    Wally
    Kelly
    Colin
    Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Heard in a training match played very recently that team was...........
    Murphy, P Murphy, Walsh, J Lyng, Fogarty, Cleere, Buckley, Fennelly, Deegan, Wally, TJ, C Fennelly, Bolger, Hogan and Aylward
    Id be quite happy with that team if it was the one selected as serious goal threat there on the inside forward line which is something we have been lacking the last 18months

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

I'd be happy with that, not mad on Richie Hogan at full forward but he could easily swap but as the starting 15 I would take that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I see Fergal Horgan is the ref on Saturday, has a tendency to let too much go, though it'll make the first 15-20 minutes very physical.

• Advertisement

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Heard in a training match played very recently that team was...........
    Murphy, P Murphy, Walsh, J Lyng, Fogarty, Cleere, Buckley, Fennelly, Deegan, Wally, TJ, C Fennelly, Bolger, Hogan and Aylward
    Id be quite happy with that team if it was the one selected as serious goal threat there on the inside forward line which is something we have been lacking the last 18months

I thought padraig was ruled out.I wouldn't be surprised if joe lyng was near the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Saintman

Two terrace tickets for sale for Saturday if anyone interested. Private message for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Anyone know if Billy Ryan has been called in to seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

I've never known before where we haven't a notion who's gonna be full or centre back for a championship game.

I think Cody will go with a big physical experienced team rather than going with too many championship debutants

Surely Joyce will be centre back and Joey at full?

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I see Fergal Horgan is the ref on Saturday, has a tendency to let too much go, though it'll make the first 15-20 minutes very physical.
    We will not get much if he is referring it , the best of luck to the seniors Saturday night it will be tight hopefully we will come out on the right side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

DickoHara wrote: »
    We will not get much if he is referring it , the best of luck to the seniors Saturday night it will be tight hopefully we will come out on the right side.

Why do you say that?

Billy ryan hasn't being called up although his involved in training with the 21s.I wonder will leahy be an option I read we've a full squad minus walsh.I think a lot of people will be interested to see what way the team is picked.

I think it's all good trying to name a team etc. but these days, it's more important to get the matchups correct.

If, more than likely, Murphy is Wexford's sweeper, what is our plan of action? Will we play a sweeper - who'll that be?

Should we go like for like size wise in defence?

U21 semi-final fixed for Mullingar on 21st June at 7:30pm.

Day of Atonement

Had kilkenny not home advantage last year gave it up what happened.

DickoHara wrote: »
    Had kilkenny not home advantage last year gave it up what happened.

Yea we gave up home advantage last year so w/meath obviously didn't give it back which is fair enough but its very hard to see kk getting caught again granted we weren't that impressive last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Team not being named until Saturday evening. Must be waiting on fitness tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Just seen on twitter Kilkenny have delayed naming the team for Saturday and won't announce until a few hours before throw in!! I wonder will there be a few surprises when it's announced

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement