Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Team not being named until Saturday evening. Must be waiting on fitness tests

Very un-Cody like, no????

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

That sounds like there will be few surprises alright, not like him but he has surprised us before like when he made all the changes announced just before throw in against galway in 2014 or 2015 in the replay in tullamore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

phkk wrote: »
    Very un-Cody like, no????

Did he delay naming the team for the semi-final replay last year against Waterford? I can't remember for sure.

The team definitely wasn't​ named until just before throw-in for the Leinster semi-final replay against Galway a few years ago in Tullamore ('twas the match where Conor Fogarty lined up in midfield).

Those two examples are both replays... Maybe there is a different etiquette for those.

EDIT: just saw blackcard's post where he mentions the Galway match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Is that allowed, very rarely see teams do it. Name the team!!! Kilkenny is like the secret service

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    Is that allowed, very rarely see teams do it. Name the team!!! Kilkenny is like the secret service
    County Boards must submit a team and panel of 26 to Croke Park no later than I think 36 hours prior to game starting but teams are not obliged to release this list to media for publication. The team trained last night and players know the team..........few suprises in store if not wanting to reveal right up until the last minute

Jackie Tyrell wrote real good article in the Indo today and highlights the difference in the mentality and preparation when its a championship game. He mentions how for a championship game KK prepare for teams who play the sweeper role in training matches but dont do this  kind of prep for league games. I expect a well prepared KK team to come out guns blazing and on a mission to exact revenge and lay down a marker. Dont think we will have it our own way as Wexford are always a threat with quality players like Macdonald,Chin and O'Hanlon to name a few but I expect a KK victory all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Think Padraig is being given all the time to make it.

When are Wexford due to name their team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

When are Wexford due to name their team?

Probably tonight but davey will probably have a few tricks up his sleeve .
    I'm surprised his not naming the team but if padraig or michael were giving every chance they could be named and then replaced before throw in.I'm sure a team has to issued for programmes.
    Jackie reckons joyce will be 3 and cillian at 6

citykat wrote: »
    RIP Sean 'Georgie' Leahy.

Indeed. I actually met the man once or twice through the greyhounds many years ago. Came across as a real gent and enjoyed the aul hurling banter. His good wife was a lovely polite lady too. A giant of a man and id imagine he will be mourned in alot of other counties for the work he done there.

Used to meet his son Tommy with Andy Comerford regularly. Serious greyhound and hurling men. Neither the biggest fans of their good old neighbours in tipp :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'd be fairly sure the team is picked but their waiting on a late fitness test tomorrow for Mick Fennelly. I doubt Padraig is in the reckoning to play this weekend although I'd be delighted if he was. I'd say they don't want to name a team with Fennelly in it and change tomorrow if he fails a fitness test even though it would be no advantage it would be a percieved advantage for the Wexicans. The team I'd say will be similar to the program but I'd say there will be a few changes all the same sure the program team has to be in for Tuesday to have them printed in time.

Anyway I'm guessing that we'll see a team more or less like this.

Murphy
    Murphy, Joyce, Prendergast
    Fogarty, Cleere, Buckley
    Fennelly, R Hogan
    TJ, Wally, Leahy
    Aylward, Colin, Blanchfield

Pendergast could miss out and O'Shea or Joe Lyng in there either.
    If Fennelly is out I could see Lester, Ollie or Deegan partnering Hogan. If one of those was picked to join a fit Fennelly in midfield Leahy or Blanch would miss out. If Mick Fennelly is fit but not ready yet for loads of running they also might play him at centre forward with Wally and R Hogan midfield.
    Tis all guess work but I'd be happy enough with the above team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I heard a rumour of pretty much the same team as above. Be a surprise to me if they play pender over o Shea. If that team plays we'll need the half backs sitting very deep, not enough pace to deal with the empty space in the Wexford full forwards with the sweeper otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

If Cleere is centre back were in trouble , will never make it there at inter county , very average hurler ....

davidx40 wrote: »
    If Cleere is centre back were in trouble , will never make it there at inter county , very average hurler ....

Really??????

Really??????

This has the makings of the Kilkenny version of the Tossy Hamill debate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Indeed. I actually met the man once or twice through the greyhounds many years ago. Came across as a real gent and enjoyed the aul hurling banter. His good wife was a lovely polite lady too. A giant of a man and id imagine he will be mourned in alot of other counties for the work he done there.

Used to meet his son Tommy with Andy Comerford regularly. Serious greyhound and hurling men. Neither the biggest fans of their good old neighbours in tipp :pac:

Good man TG. I knew Georgie fairly well. One of the most fanatical hurling men I've come across (after Cody of course!😉). I remember the night of the Italy France world cup final, I was walking into a pub to watch it just before kickoff. I bumped into Georgie sitting on the benches at the parade. I didn't have to ask him was he going to watch it.

A mild mannered man who I rarely saw lose his temper. Bar of course that time he chased a Tullaroan mentor down the sideline in Nowlan park.

• Advertisement

I remember that, had no idea what was going on as I was only a kid but I remember it being hilarious and a bit of a farce at the same time, vague memory now, but was this back in the mid 80s by any chance? I never one who was involved in it, it was just a memory I had until you mentioned it now and put a name on it.

This has the makings of the Kilkenny version of the Tossy Hamill debate :D

True, I suppose the only difference is Cleere can be a great player if he puts his mind to it:P.

It'll take time of course for him to get used to Championship pace and he may struggle a bit if he's playing on Saturday but he will improve as Kilkenny go on.

1992 county final I think. There's plenty of context. Georgie had previously managed Tullaroan. His missus is also a Tullaroan woman. None of that though counted for anything when this particular individual started at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

citykat wrote: »
    1992 county final I think. There's plenty of context. Georgie had previously managed Tullaroan. His missus is also a Tullaroan woman. None of that though counted for anything when this particular individual started at him.

Correct and incorrect! 1992 county final alright but it was in the late 1990's and early 2000's that Georgie managed Tullaroan. They won two senior leagues under him if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Rubbish. Cleere is a very good hurler, very skilful, good stick man, excellent striker off left and right, where he needs to improve is imposing himself more on the game at centre back or wing back for that matter and that can only come with time.

Lot of talk about who will be full back etc. Of more importance will be who will Kilkenny employ as their sweeper assuming Wexford play a sweeper thereby enabling Kilkenny to do likewise. Such will result in only two on the Kilkenny full back line and indeed maybe only one at times so essentially it is not going to be a traditional full back. It will be up to those around midfield and half forward to stop Wexford picking out McDonald etc as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Yes Cleere has a lot to do yet to deserve the ratings he gets , ive seen him in a good view games for club and county now and hes yet to look like a inter county player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Yes Cleere has a lot to do yet to deserve the ratings he gets , ive seen him in a good view games for club and county now and hes yet to look like a inter county player

Agree completely, his striking and overall distribution would need to improve alot before he can be anyway considered for inter-county standard. His turn of pace and overall pace over 15 yards is a big issue for him. Saw him being cleaned last year at wing back in the first 15 minutes of the Intermediate All-Ireland final v Clare. He was cleaned out.

He can hurl but is he too slow in everyway

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

RIP Georgie Leahy. A true gentleman. I had many a good conversation with him in my youth.

As for this weekend I think this game will have a huge baring on the championship. KK have major issues through the middle in defence. There biggest issue though is there robbing one defender to fill another position. You weaken one position to strengthen another and maybe you don't strengthen it. I think when JJ went back to full back we were able to replace him but I think it's more difficult now. The biggest issue we have at the end of the day is KK are short of good experienced defenders. There are players coming through but they are a year or two away.

Midfield is now looking better with Fennelly back or nearly back. I personally would play Richie with him there against Wexford. I think we need a bit of vision in there.

As for the forwards I think this is an area we will get stronger the longer we are in the championship. I think TJ Walter Colin and Richie would be auto starters if Cody decides to play Richie as a forward. Ger Aylward if 100% fit will also start. That would leave only 1 or 2 positions up for grabs. So the competition for those places will be intense.

As for the result it's difficult to predict. I think if KK play to There true championship form they will win but if they are not at there best Wexford will take advantage. Wexford will be confident after there good league and will provide a good test. As a true hurling fan it's good to see Wexford competitive and having a good chance of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

The chap hasn't played a championship match yet, lets see how he goes, save any criticism for poor performances and get behind the lads for tomorrow.

We are going to be well outnumbered and it will be hostile but I think there is a performance in this team. Going to say it will be tight for 55 minutes but we will win by 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will K Joyce start tomorrow? Game would suit him in the tight confines of wexford Park. I don't think Holden or prendergast should start, the naivety of them last year was crazy.

If Kilkenny players aren't hurting from last September and the manner in which they performed, something isn't right. I expect them to be up for this game and perform to the levels we know they can reach.

Fancy ye tomorrow, anytime Kilkennys' Back has been to the wall under the Cody reign, Kilkenny have responded.

Davy in the stand will be a loss, just look at how clueless Armagh became last week when things went against them.

Championship a different ball game, the cream always rises to the top. Kilkenny by 5+

Would start Joey and Joyce down the middle and the rest of the teamshould pick themselves assuming the missing 3 are there I.e. Padraig Mick and Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭murtyd17

any sign of the team being announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Savage potential...give him a chance.

Just watched the final from last year for the first time since September. Honestly lads it'd drive you to drink watching it. If they don't come out with serious fire and a desire to prove they have more in them than that I'll be very pessimistic for this year. It was a shambles of a performance. I know every year is different and tomorrow is likely a very different type of match than that, but they were headless at times that day. We need a real statement of intent tomorrow, start the year by stopping this Wexford hype train right in its tracks, and build from there.

And whoever is picked tomorrow I've no doubt they'll be fired up to show what they're about this year. I don't think there'll be anything like the lethargy of a 2013 about us, we've lots to prove here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I think also Cody is building a bench. I feel in the final last year he looked to the bench and saw nothing better than was on the pitch. Hopefully this year he will see more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

brookville wrote: »
    Billy ryan hasn't being called up although his involved in training with the 21s.I wonder will leahy be an option I read we've a full squad minus walsh.I think a lot of people will be interested to see what way the team is picked.

I'd really like to see Billy Ryan called up to the seniors. He was outstanding in the U21s vs Dublin.
    Murphy
    Murphy, Joyce, Prendergast
    Fogarty, Cleere, Buckley
    Fennelly, R Hogan
    TJ, Wally, Leahy
    Aylward, Colin, Blanchfield

I'd be happy enough with that time, especially to have Alyward and Fennelly back. In an ideal world, I'd rather have Donnelly, Bolger or Ryan ahead of Blanchfield. I can see Blanchfield has potential but his form has been very poor bar his 2 points vs Waterford in the semi-final replay. Even in the 21s he was anonymous the last day. I would also prefer to give O'Shea the nod ahead of Pender just purely on the basis of him being a longer term option.

Does anyone know what's happening with Robert Lennon? He was very good in the Leinster final vs Galway last year I thought, but he has hardly been seen since bar the Walsh cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I'd like to see this team:
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce/Joey O Shea
    Deegan/Joey Mick Fen Buckley
    Fogarty Lester/Deegan
    Colin Fen TJ R Hogan
    Aylward Wally Blanch

I wouldn't start Pender at all and def not in the corner. Every1 gave out about Joey last season and said he had to go but I think Pender is by far the weakest link there.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

1984baby wrote: »
    I'd like to see this team:
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce/Joey O Shea
    Deegan/Joey Mick Fen Buckley
    Fogarty Lester/Deegan
    Colin Fen TJ R Hogan
    Aylward Wally Blanch

I wouldn't start Pender at all and def not in the corner. Every1 gave out about Joey last season and said he had to go but I think Pender is by far the weakest link there.

With some question marks the following will be close;

E Murphy
    P Murphy
    Padraig walsh - joyce if padraig injured
    Joyce - conor o shea if joyce in full
    Buckley
    Cleere
    Fogarty
    M Fennelly - lester if mick not starting
    R Hogan - Deegan here and hogan half forward if leahy not starting
    Walter
    TJ
    Leahy -
    Blanch
    Colin
    Aylward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Word is that Kilkenny have been practising 17-a-side to sharpen up in crowded environments; they’ll be ready.

From Irish Times article on game today

Any suggestions for good places to park this evening? I've never been to Wexford Park before.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Team submitted to GAA for Program I heard is
    Murphy,Murphy,Joyce,O'Shea,Cleere,Buckley,deegan,Fogarty,Fennelly,Wally,hogan,TJ,Aylward,Colin Fenn and Blanchfield

I expect few personnel and positional changes from that and see Deegan going midfield with Fogarty to drop back as the spare man/sweeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Any suggestions for good places to park this evening? I've never been to Wexford Park before.
    Usually park St peters college near the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Was told last night that Joe Lyng is set to start corner back today in place of Paul Murphy who has supposedly picked up an injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Was told last night that Joe Lyng is set to start corner back today in place of Paul Murphy who has supposedly picked up an injury

Huge loss if he is injured, has arguably been our most consistent performer in the last five years or so, I've been surprised at some of the criticism of him on here after a few average performances by his very high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Official team in the program
    E Murphy
    R Lennon, P Walsh, C O'Shea
    C Fogarty, P Murphy, K Joyce
    C Buckley, P Deegan
    L Ryan, W Walsh, TJ Reid
    G Aylward, R Hogan, C Fennelly
    Subs
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    J Holden
    J Cleere
    J Lyng
    O Walsh
    K Kelly
    L Blanchfield
    C Bolter
    Jj Farrell
    A Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Official team in the program
    E Murphy
    R Lennon, P Walsh, C O'Shea
    C Fogarty, P Murphy, K Joyce
    C Buckley, P Deegan
    L Ryan, W Walsh, TJ Reid
    G Aylward, R Hogan, C Fennelly
    Subs
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    J Holden
    J Cleere
    J Lyng
    O Walsh
    K Kelly
    L Blanchfield
    C Bolter
    Jj Farrell
    A Murphy

No mick fennelly or leahy even down as subs. Surprised lennon in the corner and Murphy at centre back. Hopefully the aim is to keep wexford guessing as Murphy doesn't tend to do well at centre back. Who knows what changes are coming before throw in

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Team submitted to GAA for Program I heard is
    Murphy,Murphy,Joyce,O'Shea,Cleere,Buckley,deegan,Fogarty,Fennelly,Wally,hogan,TJ,Aylward,Colin Fenn and Blanchfield

You'd wanna check your sources!

Here in Wexford park. F***in free for all. No numbers on the seats!

• Advertisement

All I can say about that team is ooouchh. If that's it then that's it. Tailor made for a batin'.

Same personnel but totally different line out thank GOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭fire_man

any stream for game lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Go to sports4u.net

Then find sky sports 3 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Starting injured players....i thought we had learned from past mistakes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement