Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Whatever about Padraig Walsh and ger aylward...Walter Walsh hasn't been at the races at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Whatever about Padraig Walsh and ger aylward...Walter Walsh hasn't been at the races at all

Wally is absolutely anonymous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

It'll be a different game 2nd half.. if not we're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Wally not at the races.ger awlyard a bit unlucky for me.got on the ball but bad wides.need to be more clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I love that about Brian Cody. Aylward misses 2 score-able points and gets booked.

Cody whips him off straight away.

I remember watching some game Kilkenny were winning easy and he put on a sub. The guy he was supposed to be marking got 2 points off him. Then Cody takes him off. Zero tolerance and he was only on the pitch for 5 mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Wally not at the races.ger awlyard a bit unlucky for me.got on the ball but bad wides.need to be more clinical.

Flicked out a couple of times after the yellow. He was a red waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I love that about Brian Cody. Aylward misses 2 score-able points and gets booked.

I remember watching some game Kilkenny were winning easy and he put on a sub. The guy he was supposed to be marking got 2 points off him. Then Cody takes him off. Zero tolerance and he was only on the pitch for 5 mins!
    Aylward missed at least three shots by my count, he was getting on ball but way off in terms of touch. Wally can count himself very lucky to still be on the field after that first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

This is probably Cody's last game. Shorn of his great players he really struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

unrealtime wrote: »
    This is probably Cody's last game. Shorn of his great players he really struggles.

Maybe ger loughnane was talking sense last November when he said Cody should have went

I expected a kk response but they have regressed significantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

This was not Cody's fault some of those players have to ask alot of questions of themselves.

Can't begrudge Wexford fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

An absolute shambles, but in fairness we are what we are. We had two corner backs tonight that are light years from inter-county standard.

Scoreline flattered us. Cody was tactically woeful, not for the first time.

Wexford hurled well, aside from some very jittery defending in the full back line. They'll give anyone a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Is Ritchie Hogan injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play to Wexford they were the better team and deserved their victory. Too many passengers on our team, hate knocking lads but O'Shea and Lennon far too slow for that level. Apart from TJ ,Buckley and Colin everyone else under performed this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Only scored 1-4 from play and only two of the starting forwards scored from play. That's terrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Clueless stuff from Kilkenny tonight. Beside TJ, Colin Fennelly and Buckley the rest of the team never showed up. It'll be an early summer for Kk this year. We really have regressed majorly in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Like all KK fans I was hoping the league was just the league. But we now know the problems lie deeper. Cody and the players will have to take a long look at this and see what's gone wrong. I have not seen the game as I am away but looking at commentary online it was a bit of a shambles. IMO the biggest problem KK have is no real leaders on the pitch. Secondly I think Cody needs to play his best players in there best positions. He will also now have to blood more younger players. I think he has to start looking much further than this this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

kksaints wrote: »
    Only scored 1-4 from play and only two of the starting forwards scored from play. That's terrible stuff.

Yeah terrible, I actually agree with an earlier poster who thought Aylward was a bit unlucky, I know he missed a few chances but the conditions were brutal and at least he was making runs and getting on the ball, at the time he was taken off any one of our forwards could have been called ashore. Cody has shipped a lot criticism for being slow to make changes so maybe that influenced his thinking on the early substitutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Just looks like they havent a clue on sideline, this went on last September and same reaction from management team.....nothing. Starting p walsh injured. Bringing in sub goaly as a forward, looking in at lads getting cleaned for an hour. Corner backs not up to it either. Lamping ball with the wind. No plan, tactically got destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Fennelly for me was the only person who played well.

That was a shocking performance. In fact that was the worse I've ever seen from Kilkenny.

Thought we would be contender's this year but we are actually around the same level as Dublin.

Chin aside, I didn't think Wexford were any great shakes. Galways to lose this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Does Richie Reid play up front for his club? Otherwise its a bizarre decision to bring him on instead of JJ Farrell who I'm slightly surprised wasn't brought on anyway at some stage. None of the subs scored either which is also a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

kk.man wrote: »
    This was not Cody's fault some of those players have to ask alot of questions of themselves.

Can't begrudge Wexford fair play to them.

Absolutely. You cannot begrudge wexford. We weren't at the races at all. Let's get a few things clear.

Conor o shea not up for championship hurling
    Paul murphy needs two or three attempts to get the ball o hand
    Lennon nowhere near good enough or fast enough on the ball
    Lester not near where he should be
    Walter, as much as I hate to say it, was completely out of the game.
    Ger aylward got three chances and fluffed all. It was a defeatest stroke that got him a yellow and was pulled ashore before the red came.

Richie hogan, tj, Colin fennelly and deegan tried hard but when the rest are not up for it what can you do.
    Just a note on chris bolger. It was his first championship match for kilkenny. His movement was good and he made a huge difference albeit a few handpasses went astray.
    Colin very good in possession but all in all very disappointed with the effort or lack of it.
    We have to re group and get going again. Hopefully we have more lads fit next dat but we have to improve big time

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Is Joey Holden gone back that far that he wouldn't be a better corner back than what started tonight. Haven't been at many senior or intermediate club games in the last few years but is there any more natural corner backs that should be getting a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

As I posted before we wasted the opportunity of the league to try and find the players we want. Instead we had the nonsense of playing lads like Buckley, Murphy Walsh and Fogarty out of positions where they were All Stars, dumped on Joyceand Joey, and then tried to find new players to man the positions thus vacated. Well good luck with that nonsense and the chickens are well roosted by now. New management needed urgently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

To me this result and performance was always coming you could see it a mile off....we just havent got the players of good enough quality anymore and probaly wont for a few years again ....ger deserved to be taken of missed 2 handy points was 3 times caught 5 yards behind his man for ball and got silly booking ..but lets be honest we could have taken 5 or 6 of tonight .....it was painful to watch ....and for tactics why didnt we push up on sweeper in second have and mark him.....future for next 4 or 5 years is not good but we cant complain we were spoilt for so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Completely agree with Davidx40 that this result was coming a mile off.

I don't know where to start so all I'll say for the time being is, a big congrats to Wexford. I thought they played better and smarter hurling. Only for Fennelly actually managing to catch balls today, and TJ firing unstoppable penalties, they would have won comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Not much to say on the match other than Wexford looked like a more confident team, too many weak links in the KK team and no real cohesion in the performance.

But Adrian Ronan should be immediately sacked from KCLR commentary. Doesn't know who players are, doesn't get any information across. Gets very excited which leads to him not being able to string a sentence together. I hope he's not getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

We had enough good players to win this match tonight but the selection of players out of positions destroyed us. Where did P Walsh play, surely his best position, if fit is FB. That full back line, as posted in programme was experimental at best. So disappointed.
    Well done to Wexford but that team have more in them with players playing in their own positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Firstly, well done to Wexford, fully deserved winners and in truth, they should have won by alot more. The scenes at the end were what it's all about. Hard to begrudge them that after taking some severe beatings over the last 10/15 years.
    I think if we're all being honest, we have to admit that we're going to be under big pressure for a while. TJ, Richie, two of our best hurlers over the last 10 years, battled willingly to the end but the legs are heavier after years of toil, they're not machines. Colin Fen was excellent too I thought and was literally a one man show against them up front.
    The newest generation of inter county player in Kilkenny haven't the speed to trouble inter county teams. Look at the backs, apart from Buckley, who has pace? We couldn't live with their pace tonight at times. Lee Chin ran the show at midfield, nobody could keep up with him. I've followed this thread for years and I've noticed that some posters are just so blinded by loyalty, they can't see the wood from the trees. A few posters have raised concerns and have almost been ridiculed with a "how dare you say that?" tone. I've been at a lot of club matches over the last few years and some of our inter county players have been nothing short of woeful at times. In fact, in some matches, you'd be wondering have they even togged out. It's been coming for a while in fairness.
    In truth, without naming the players because they all battled hard but afew of them are not up to it. They haven't got the speed, touch or ability to progress and are just poles apart from the brilliant hurlers of the last generation.
    I wouldn't be attaching any blame at Cody's door however. Maybe he should have closed down Chin better. Bit strange alright bringing on Richie Reid corner forward- he's a wing back with his club??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

That Kilkenny team has been fading for the guts of 5 years now. Cody squeezed a few All Irelands out of them that which was a great achievement.

The other teams have raised the bar now though. It's a long way for this Kilkenny team to come through the qualifiers. All Ireland wide open this year. Great opportunity for the likes of Waterford or Galway to end the droughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The second half is here for anyone didn't see it earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness the second pen that Reid took was one of the best I ever saw, right in the top corner.

I agree totaly with phkk the amount of people on here blinded by loyalty is funny , we need to throw the blinkers of , we have a very poor group to pick from and things are going to get worse before they better ....even on here last week people raving about our u21 team ..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

davidx40 wrote: »
    I agree totaly with phkk the amount of people on here blinded by loyalty is funny , we need to throw the blinkers of , we have a very poor group to pick from and things are going to get worse before they better ....even on here last week people raving about our u21 team ..

Have you ever posted after Kilkenny won a match, just out of interest?

I have yes ...posted only after u21 wining ...im only saying whats plain to see...i want klikenny to win like everyone ..but we have to be realistic to and realise we are going to struggle for sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

not trying to jump on graves but that was probably kilkennys worst championship performance since cody took over ,

what makes it worse it was all unforced errors something you would never associate with ye , while the mood in wexford will be high tonight , i can only say if that game was played 10 times again it would have a different outcome from tonight on probably all 10 occasions

making paddy deegen capain on his first championship game was a very foolish ploy regardless the tradition in the county , killkenny lacked leadership i feel as a result

best of luck in the qualifiers , i imagine it wont be the last we will hear from ye:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Buckley done really well on Chin in the first half and kept him quiet and them seemed to be taken off him in the second half and Chin ran amuck. Strange why that was done

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I disagree with the above if the game was played 10 more times its likely Wexford would win all of them. That was truly a headless performance.

What was the plan exactly? What were they trying to do to counteract the sweeper? I honestly have no idea. I thought it was a complete knee jerk reaction to withdraw the 2 lads before half time, a few wides yes but they were at least getting on the ball.

Wally and Richie were nowhere to be seen. Hopefully they get a kind draw in the qualifiers but its probably just as well that they won't be going up against Galway in the LF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

It's funny what people choose to believe. You "love this about Brian Cody" but he looked for 70 minutes at Joey Holden conceding 0-9 from play last year. In fairness, he just calls what in front of him based on what he thinks he can rectify but it is simply untrue to say he takes everyone off at the first sign of weakness. To love him for for something you only imagine he does is a wasted emotion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not trying to jump on graves but that was probably kilkennys worst championship performance since cody took over ,

what makes it worse it was all unforced errors something you would never associate with ye , while the mood in wexford will be high tonight , i can only say if that game was played 10 times again it would have a different outcome from tonight on probably all 10 occasions

making paddy deegen capain on his first championship game was a very foolish ploy regardless the tradition in the county , killkenny lacked leadership i feel as a result

best of luck in the qualifiers , i imagine it wont be the last we will hear from ye:cool:

To be honest, and being a biased Wexford man, I dont agree with that at all. I think Wexford should have won by more. Some really naive defending from Ryan and the full back line was all that kept Kilkenny in it. Kilkenny created little or nothing other than horsing in high balls to the 21 in the second half. There was no creativity or spark in them at all. If Wexford were to play Kilkenny again ten times, there is no way I would say they would lose every time. There was very little positive to take out of Kilkennys play from what I saw tonight, especially given the high level they are coming from. Fennelly was the only really who made any sort of impact, Reid a bit, but a lot of other players, and big name players, really didnt stand up at all.

On the flip side, I was happy enough with our lads. I thought Donohoe had a great game at corner back, but more so was the break and release to come out the field. Dee O Keefe had a super game too. Lee Chin was phenomenal, and no one on the field got near his level of play. At one stage he was just running around in circles with Wally Walsh chasing him. There is a lot more in Conor MacDonald, very quiet night for him. And Jack Guiney, despite not scoring, made a lot of important contributions.

I had said it on here that Kilkenny have regressed and Wexford have progressed. Where those lines crossed was up for viewing. Is it fully there? I dont think so yet, despite the win. Wexfords issue has always been consistency. Can we follow this up with another positive performance, and that will be the sign that we may be getting towards being back at the top table.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I disagree with the above if the game was played 10 more times its likely Wexford would win all of them. That was truly a headless performance.

What was the plan exactly? What were they trying to do to counteract the sweeper? I honestly have no idea. I thought it was a complete knee jerk reaction to withdraw the 2 lads before half time, a few wides yes but they were at least getting on the ball.

Wally and Richie were nowhere to be seen. Hopefully they get a kind draw in the qualifiers but its probably just as well that they won't be going up against Galway in the LF.

point i was making was kilkenny would not be that bad again

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote:

Aylward was very close to getting a red card. I don't think the wides were apart of him being taken off. He was getting on ball and bearing his man but he was doing a lot of off the ball stuff too. Dempsey ran on and pulled him aside at one stage

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did we not say that after the Clare game and again after the League quarter final? Even after last years All Ireland final.
    toe_knee wrote: »
    Aylward was very close to getting a red card. I don't think the wides were apart of him being taken off. He was getting on ball and bearing his man but he was doing a lot of off the ball stuff too. Dempsey ran on and pulled him aside at one stage

What was he getting a red card for? I seriously doubt thats what was behind him getting taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I don't know about that.

We've been playing like that all year, bar Thurles.

Playing Padraig Walsh centre forward when he is clearly not fit is absolutely f**king insane.

bruschi wrote: »
    To be honest, and being a biased Wexford man, I dont agree with that at all. I think Wexford should have won by more. Some really naive defending from Ryan and the full back line was all that kept Kilkenny in it. Kilkenny created little or nothing other than horsing in high balls to the 21 in the second half. There was no creativity or spark in them at all. If Wexford were to play Kilkenny again ten times, there is no way I would say they would lose every time. There was very little positive to take out of Kilkennys play from what I saw tonight, especially given the high level they are coming from. Fennelly was the only really who made any sort of impact, Reid a bit, but a lot of other players, and big name players, really didnt stand up at all.

On the flip side, I was happy enough with our lads. I thought Donohoe had a great game at corner back, but more so was the break and release to come out the field. Dee O Keefe had a super game too. Lee Chin was phenomenal, and no one on the field got near his level of play. At one stage he was just running around in circles with Wally Walsh chasing him. There is a lot more in Conor MacDonald, very quiet night for him. And Jack Guiney, despite not scoring, made a lot of important contributions.

I had said it on here that Kilkenny have regressed and Wexford have progressed. Where those lines crossed was up for viewing. Is it fully there? I dont think so yet, despite the win. Wexfords issue has always been consistency. Can we follow this up with another positive performance, and that will be the sign that we may be getting towards being back at the top table.

not having a pop at wexford i just think kilkenny were terrible tonight though ,

the one thing wexford lack is belief in themselves , they have been a good side for years without relay backing themselves , for some reason davy fitz has been the man to get ye going ,i just hope he dose not bring the same level of controversy to ye as he brought to us (albeit after an ireland success)

i am not taking anything away from wexford but ye either caught a team on the hop or off guard tonight and more power to ye for it , best of luck in the leinster final

adrian522 wrote: »
    Did we not say that after the Clare game and again after the League quarter final? Even after last years All Ireland final.

What was he getting a red card for? I seriously doubt thats what was behind him getting taken off.

so how dose the wheels fall off the wagon so quickly then ? ye were the best team in the country 10 months ago

He struck two lads off the ball and got a yellow already. Dempsey ran on and was giving him an earful and I doubt it was over winning ball and sending them wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

As a neutral I believe that if Chris Bolger had to do what many Kilkenny forwards in the past would have done and bury that ball with 1 minute remaining , then the game could have been a draw .

If Lee Chin and Conor McDonald don't soon improve on their free-taking , Wexford will go nowhere . They sent the ball wide from tap overs for god's sake . Was at the Walsh Cup match KK v WX in January and it was the same story .

Kilkenny and Tipperary in the back door now should be great Championship .

so how dose the wheels fall off the wagon so quickly then ? ye were the best team in the country 10 months ago

We actually weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Powerhouse wrote: »
    It's funny what people choose to believe. You "love this about Brian Cody" but he looked for 70 minutes at Joey Holden conceding 0-9 from play last year. In fairness, he just calls what in front of him based on what he thinks he can rectify but it is simply untrue to say he takes everyone off at the first sign of weakness. To love him for for something you only imagine he does is a wasted emotion.

OK so if you prefer, I will hate him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Just home after shocking teaffic getting out of wexford.poir performance and yet we could have won.we created more goal chances than wexford but couldnt convert.thought joyce was good at full back.buckley on chin in first half (why was he not left on him) tj and colilin fennelly.lester worked hard but alot of ours were poor.bolger done ok for first game and should of had at least 1 or 2 goals.blanchfield not up to it at this level,deegam lacks pace and padraig not fit.play our players in their best piostions and we can still have a say this year.need mick fen back with fogarty padraig back to half back and drive on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement