Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Where is this Buckley was great stuff coming out of? Never knows what to do when he runs at a defence, delivery to the forwards poor and Chin destroyed him in the air the last 10 minutes when he was on him. By no means our worst player last night but he was far from great. He's a half back. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Joyce is done OK last night and is probably our best option at 3 but I couldnt believe looking at 2 and three defenders going for the one ball and it breaking for the wexford runners
    Dunno where we go from here hopefully we'll get the injured lads back and a kind draw if there is such thing because every team looks difficult at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I know we've lost some of the best hurlers to ever play the game to retirement but in my opinion Martin Fogarty has been a huge loss also, very highly thought of by the players and unlike Brian was a great man manager and motivator.. He was also very astute tactically and apparently was the one person on the line that Cody would actually listen to.

Very valid point re: Martin Fogarty in terms of man management and loss tactically but Brian never listened to anybody on the sideline. His man management is absolutely non existent with the players and that's an absolute fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

There is a litany of discarded players to give testimony to that.

Brian017 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Monday June 26th after the Laois/Carlow Prem. Round qualifier. The 1st Round games are down for Sat July 1st and the 2nd round a week later on the 8th

Is it an open draw or is leinter in one side and munster in the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

If we could beat Laois next Saturday week is it possible we could get ye in the qualifiers?! It would generate some interest in Carlow! As a St Mullins man I'd love it. The place would be mental.

Not sure where that Laois match will be played. If it's a neutral venue Nowlan Park would be the obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

brookville wrote: »
    Is it an open draw or is leinter in one side and munster in the other?

The first round is Munster vs Leinster with one of the winners of the Laois/Carlow game going into one of the pots with Westmeath going into the other. So basically, we'll be facing a munster team or either Laois/Carlow/Westmeath (depending on which gets placed into the Munster pot).

The 2nd round is an open draw providing it avoid repeat pairings. I think thats how it works anyway, I'm open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Very valid point re: Martin Fogarty in terms of man management and loss tactically but Brian never listened to anybody on the sideline. His man management is absolutely non existent with the players and that's an absolute fact.
    Has the players lost confidence in the sideline Walter Walsh to me finds it hard to read the game M Dempsey had to run in and tell him to step back out for the puck outs when he did that he won a couple of balls one of them was the second penalty. Ritchie seems to be under pressure, like a lot of kilkenny supporters brining on our sub goalie for him was the last straw what was wrong with joe lyng saw him wining a Co final for the rower a couple of years ago at that stage we had nothing to loose to me it sent out the wrong signal. JJ Farrell desireved better than he got last night I wouldn't be a big fan of his. I don't know where we go from here as regards the lad that reckons abuse them on the street it might be your uneducated way of thinking but not a lot of people, remember john power after leinster semi final Mark Corrigan scored I think 3-5 off him look the way he turned out. Sport like everything else changes you have to be able to move with it.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    If we could beat Laois next Saturday week is it possible we could get ye in the qualifiers?! It would generate some interest in Carlow! As a St Mullins man I'd love it. The place would be mental.

Not sure where that Laois match will be played. If it's a neutral venue Nowlan Park would be the obvious choice.
    Great win yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Best point made here was the loss of Martin Fogarty as coach. We look such a poorly coached team at the moment.

And for all those who say we've suffered a massive dip in talent.. obviously the likes of henry, jj, tommy etc are once in a generation group but how does it explain Kierans/kk cbs dominance over the last 6/7 years. Something going wrong at minor and more specifically u-21 level that this dominance is not being reflected at county level

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Best point made here was the loss of Martin Fogarty as coach. We look such a poorly coached team at the moment.

And for all those who say we've suffered a massive dip in talent.. obviously the likes of henry, jj, tommy etc are once in a generation group but how does it explain Kierans/kk cbs dominance over the last 6/7 years. Something going wrong at minor and more specifically u-21 level that this dominance is not being reflected at county level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

jelutong wrote: »
    No hurler goes on the pitch with the intention of playing badly. Shame on anyone who abuses players on the street or on forums such as this. When I see Richie Hogan,one the finest hurlers I've ever seen being slagged off by one or two people here it makes me wonder. Eaten bread is soon forgotten and all that.

Can't believe that there's Kk people here calling for the public to abuse yer players after that game.

The Kk players are heroes but it looks like their stranglehold has loosened. This will be Galways year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

DickoHara wrote:
    Great win yesterday.

Thanks Dicko! It would be great to get a go at Kilkenny. I know a lot of things would have to go right for us for it to happen but you never know. There'd have to be a checkpoint set up on the bridge in Graiguenamanagh! 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

digzy wrote: »
    Can't believe that there's Kk people here calling for the public to abuse yer players after that game.

The Kk players are heroes but it looks like their stranglehold has loosened. This will be wexfords year.

Fixed that for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

sjb25 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you :)

Wanna bet?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I wouldn't even be thinking of the 2nd qualifier at this stage - the draw will be crucial and who we play will be important. I think our forwards only scored 1pt from play last night. During the league, we were under serious pressure to get points and keep the scoreboard ticking over. The goals kept us in it. So it's not as if it's something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

One person does not = "people".

Anyway he's free to say what he wants. And I'm sure everyone will agree the players will be free to respond however they deem appropriate.

I wouldn't even be thinking of the 2nd qualifier at this stage - the draw will be crucial and who we play will be important. I think our forwards only scored 1pt from play last night. During the league, we were under serious pressure to get points and keep the scoreboard ticking over. The goals kept us in it. So it's not as if it's something new.
    TJ Reid scored 2-7 from frees, Lester Ryan-2 , W Walsh-1, P Deegan-1, C Fennelly, 1-.

DickoHara wrote: »
    TJ Reid scored 2-7 from frees, Lester Ryan-2 , W Walsh-1, P Deegan-1, C Fennelly, 1-.

So 1pt from play from the forwards - very very poor return.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Which of Wally and Colin isn't a forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

adrian522 wrote: »

Wally got a point, Colin got a goal.

In any event its not all the forwards fault, the ball going into them is dreadfull, Getting Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley and Jason Cleere into the half back line and Michael Fennelly into midfield would be a big help with that

Does anybody know what the story is with injuries on the panel, I assume Michael Fennelly, Pat Lyng and Richie Leahy were not fit to take their place on the panel, whats the story with Shane Pendergast and James Maher?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Brian017 wrote: »
    The first round is Munster vs Leinster with one of the winners of the Laois/Carlow game going into one of the pots with Westmeath going into the other. So basically, we'll be facing a munster team or either Laois/Carlow/Westmeath (depending on which gets placed into the Munster pot).

The 2nd round is an open draw providing it avoid repeat pairings. I think thats how it works anyway, I'm open to correction

By pot you mean a GAA pot in that you are never going to get Tipp V KK in the first round of the qualifiers.. they will want to shuffle all the big guns into the QF's and go from there.

No harm in us having a stint in the qualifiers. Although there are definitely a few players that don't want more game time. A few high intensity wins and hopefully this team can find a bit of composure when it counts.

adrian522 wrote: »

Points from play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

By pot you mean a GAA pot in that you are never going to get Tipp V KK in the first round of the qualifiers..

Except that the only other time Tipp and KK were in the qualifiers they played against each other. But never mind that, facts shmacts.

By pot you mean a GAA pot in that you are never going to get Tipp V KK in the first round of the qualifiers..

Except that the only other time Tipp and KK were in the qualifiers they played against each other. But never mind that, facts shmacts.

KK v Waterford a few years ago also.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story is with injuries on the panel, I assume Michael Fennelly, Pat Lyng and Richie Leahy were not fit to take their place on the panel, whats the story with Shane Pendergast and James Maher?
    What about John power where is he gone, saw James Maher the day against Gowran he was very poor.

KK v Waterford a few years ago also.

That was after Kilkenny knocked out Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wanna bet?:pac:

We will have to wait and see :)

Saw James Maher a few times myself this year and he was terrible poor.

Billy Ryan was man of the match in u21 game v Dublin and Cody didn't give him the call up, why??

Kilkenny u21s played Waterford u21 tonight in a game and Billy Ryan came on after 20 minutes and ended up scoring 7 points from play. He is in flying form. Surely, surely he would offer more than an unfit and overweight Liam Blanchfield, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

sjb25 wrote: »
    We will have to wait and see :)

Who let Jack out of his box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Saw James Maher a few times myself this year and he was terrible poor.

Billy Ryan was man of the match in u21 game v Dublin and Cody didn't give him the call up, why??

Kilkenny u21s played Waterford u21 tonight in a game and Billy Ryan came on after 20 minutes and ended up scoring 7 points from play. He is in flying form. Surely, surely he would offer more than an unfit and overweight Liam Blanchfield, surely?

Any details on who won the match? Or what the team was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I'd agree with the loss of Martin Fogarty. The team just doesn't seem to have the same spirit/drive since he left.

I think the most concerning thing for me all year is that we have a major problem in the forwards. All year none are able to win any ball or convert chances easily.

Gone are the days of lads catching balls on the halfway line and blasting them over with ease.

Just watching the Sunday game here again and we went in to the second half with 6 scores and I'd say only 2 of those were from play. Not good enough at this level unfortunately.

Cody seems to have lost the plot too. Playing injured players. Starting backs in the forwards. Brought all the sub's and non named panel members out training today and ran the sh1te out of them. Crazy stuff.

PaulKK wrote: »

Gone are the days of lads catching balls on the halfway line and blasting them over with ease.

Nobody seems to have told Conor Lehane that, with the proper movement and the correct players taking the shots those days are still here and may actually be the best way to beat the extra defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Nobody seems to have told Conor Lehane that, with the proper movement and the correct players taking the shots those days are still here and may actually be the best way to beat the extra defender.

Well I was talking about our own lads but agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Just looking at Wexford's goal there again on the Sunday Game. Two awful one-handed efforts to clear the lines-you wouldn't see it in an U-10 game. Mother of God, put two hands on the hurl and pull hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I agree re the points on the half back line.
    The championship is wide open and if we regain some composure who knows.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Joyce
    Fogarty
    Padraig
    Cleere
    Buckley
    M Fennelly
    R Hogan
    Walter
    TJ
    Leahy
    Aylward
    C Fennelly
    Bolger

Billy ryan - has to get a chance
    Lester
    Delaney
    Maher
    Blanchfield
    O shea
    Deegan
    John joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Where does P Walsh play for tullaroan? So far off the pace yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Badabing wrote: »

Padraig wasn't fit yesterday. All in all most of the lads just didn't know or have a plan. There was no composure. We still have a chance to get it right. Keep the lines right starting with buckley and padraig our two wing backs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Badabing wrote:

Centre forward all last year anyway and usually top class. Havnt seen them play this year yet

Centre forward all last year anyway and usually top class. Havnt seen them play this year yet

To be honest at intercounty level at minor I thought he didnt look comfortable as a forward, he is a great hurler so at times he will look good but I dont think he has a forwards natural instinct about where and when to make runs and attack a backline, Colin Fennelly for example isnt as good a hurler but has that instinctive movement which makes him a dangerous forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

PaulKK wrote: »
    I'd agree with the loss of Martin Fogarty. The team just doesn't seem to have the same spirit/drive since he left.

I think the most concerning thing for me all year is that we have a major problem in the forwards. All year none are able to win any ball or convert chances easily.

Just watching the Sunday game here again and we went in to the second half with 6 scores and I'd say only 2 of those were from play. Not good enough at this level unfortunately.

Cody seems to have lost the plot too. Playing injured players. Starting backs in the forwards. Brought all the sub's and non named panel members out training today and ran the sh1te out of them. Crazy stuff.

Martin Fogarty was around with the greatest team ever, he knew when to leave, his loss is pale in significance to all the players that departed over the last 5 years.

As i stated way back the leaders have not stepped up, Paul Murphy should be one of the main men leading this team, i seen a photo of him in front of the Kilkenny people this week parading around with a horse in Nowlan Park, would he not be more suited to keep his head down on concentrate on trying to get a good performance. He has been a disgrace towards the end of last year and this year. His basic skills of the game leaves a lot to be desired, average club hurlers have way more skill.

Conor Fogarty the same, missing again, poor aerial ability and mobility, very robotic in his hurling. These 2 lads are lucky Kilkenny have no bench.

Is there any better backs in the county than the backs the weekend, fair play to Buckley got a few blocks in and looked the part, the others are just barely surviving, and they played against 5 forwards.

Kilkenny have maybe 4 hurlers who have the required skill levels to play at the highest level. TJ, Richie, Buckley, Kevin Kelly, Padraig Walsh, Mick Fennelly.

Some of the others standard is at Christy Ring level, Paul Murphy, Fogarty, O Shea, Deegan, Wally Walsh, Jonjo Farrell, Colin Fennelly, Blanchfield.

Has to be time to bring in lads like Billy Ryan & John Walsh, Luke Scanlon, skillful players, need these lads going forward and have your 2 r 3 lads like Wally & Colin Fennelly maybe Deegan to win hard ball around them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

phkk wrote: »
    Just looking at Wexford's goal there again on the Sunday Game. Two awful one-handed efforts to clear the lines-you wouldn't see it in an U-10 game. Mother of God, put two hands on the hurl and pull hard.
    I think if Padraig had been full back they wouldn't of got that soft goal.

Brendan Cummins article this morning.
    Essentially hitting the nail on the head so to speak.

"For the first time, Cody is now working with players who are not of the required standard.

That's a problem, coupled with him never being viewed as a tactical genius.

What he had in the past were men on the pitch to sort out any issues that arose but he now finds himself having to devise a system of play to suit the players at his disposal.

Kilkenny have always prided them on the simplicity of their approach - hand out the 15 jerseys, tell the lads to win their individual battles, and we'll see you at half-time.

Overall, Kilkenny have no apparent plan, their style of play is one-dimensional and contributing to them playing without confidence. This is why they're headed for the back door."

Padraig is so versatile he could play anywhere and has being very good at club level center forward but how could he be right when he was in a boot for 5 weeks likewise hogan who has done very little hurling since the last wexford league match.
    Hopefully we can straighten out a few injuries and get a kind enough draw but it looks like a huge ask now to get to croker

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    Martin Fogarty was around with the greatest team ever, he knew when to leave, his loss is pale in significance to all the players that departed over the last 5 years.

As i stated way back the leaders have not stepped up, Paul Murphy should be one of the main men leading this team, i seen a photo of him in front of the Kilkenny people this week parading around with a horse in Nowlan Park, would he not be more suited to keep his head down on concentrate on trying to get a good performance. He has been a disgrace towards the end of last year and this year. His basic skills of the game leaves a lot to be desired, average club hurlers have way more skill.

Conor Fogarty the same, missing again, poor aerial ability and mobility, very robotic in his hurling. These 2 lads are lucky Kilkenny have no bench.

Is there any better backs in the county than the backs the weekend, fair play to Buckley got a few blocks in and looked the part, the others are just barely surviving, and they played against 5 forwards.

Kilkenny have maybe 4 hurlers who have the required skill levels to play at the highest level. TJ, Richie, Buckley, Kevin Kelly, Padraig Walsh, Mick Fennelly.

Some of the others standard is at Christy Ring level, Paul Murphy, Fogarty, O Shea, Deegan, Wally Walsh, Jonjo Farrell, Colin Fennelly, Blanchfield.

Has to be time to bring in lads like Billy Ryan & John Walsh, Luke Scanlon, skillful players, need these lads going forward and have your 2 r 3 lads like Wally & Colin Fennelly maybe Deegan to win hard ball around them

You say 4 players have the skill to play at the highest level and then you go on to name 6 players, you might want to look at your own standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Village87 wrote: »

Christy Ring Level!!! Ha ha you are a gas man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

There have been some totally and utterly disgrace comments here.

Calling for people to abuse players around town and saying that All-Ireland winners like Fogary, Murphy & Fennelly, etc are only good enough to play for the likes of Wicklow, Mayo, Antrim is an absolute joke.

The people who made those comments should feel embarrassed. Cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Why was Paul Murphy walking around Nowlan Park with a horse? I'll presume it's more than likely to do with some fund raising activity for Kilkenny Gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Why was Paul Murphy walking around Nowlan Park with a horse? I'll presume it's more than likely to do with some fund raising activity for Kilkenny Gaa.

Prob advertising the Gowran Races. The supporters club usually have a fundraiser at one of the meetings for the players.

Paul has had a huge dip in form from the summer last year, continuing on this season. BUT you have to remember he was in the best full back line for years with JJ and Jackie now the players are being chopped and changed every game. He hasn't got used to playing with a regular full back line. It's much easier play when you know the players around you and you automatically know their moves/ability etc...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement