Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Lack of thinking keeps fellows like Pat Hartley from getting a chance. We did not need him for years as we had better players available to us. But fellows like Joyce and Prendergast were old enough before they played. One was good, the other wasn't. If Pat Hartley is as fit as you say, then he deserves a chance. I have seen him play a few times and he has always been terrific.

What about Hennebry in the full forward position. Is he good enough - looks okay to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

I would never put anyone down like some here about playing for the county. I understand some are not up to this level and if that's the case, which it is, we need to look elsewhere. As previously stated roBert lennon and conor o shea are fine hurlers but are not up to this level.
    The likes of cleere, delaney and cody have to get games to see if they will bridge that gap.
    Probably one of the best hurlers at intermediate grade over the last few years is pat hartley from tullogher. The problem with that is he is on 30 atm but would still be far better than the two aforementioned.He is as fit as a 22 year old, has pace to burn, the best fielder in intermediate and no shortage of skill. Unfortunately he won't get his chance now but we have to go with lads that are up to the speed required and utilise what talent we do have around the county albeit the standard had dropped over the last 5 years

Seen Hartley 3 r 4 times, speed, loads of aggression, a leader, clever on the ball, already has most things we are lacking in our backs.

I cant think of two many others really sticking out John Dalton maybe but he looks like his now as fit as once was.

Round 1 is essentially Munster vs Leinster.

Preliminary Round:

Firstly, there is the Preliminary Round, which is Laois v Carlow (Sunday June 25th @ 3.30pm in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise). The winners go through to Qualifier Round 1.

Round 1 (Saturday July 1st):
    Prior to the main draw, Westmeath and the winners of Carlow/Laois will be randomly assigned to the Munster/Leinster 'bowls'.

The Munster bowl will consist of:
    • Tipperary
    • Limerick
    • Losers of Waterford/Cork
    • Winners of Laois/Carlow, or Westmeath

The Leinster bowl will consist of:
    • Dublin
    • Kilkenny
    • Losers of Offaly/Galway

Team from Munster bowl will play against team from Leinster bowl in Round 1.
    Repeat pairings cannot occur, so If Laois beat Carlow, then Laois & Westmeath cannot meet each other.

So at the moment KK could play: Tipperary, Limerick, losers of Waterford/Cork, winners of Laois/Carlow, or Westmeath.

Round 2 (Saturday July 8th):
    Winners of Round 1 go through to Round 2.
    Round 2 is an open draw, but repeat pairings cannot occur.
    Winners of Round 2 go through to AI Quarter-Finals.

I'm open to correction on any of the above.

Thanks Dastardly, if thats the case i hope Waterford win the weekend, would fancy our chances v them over Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Village87 wrote: »
    Seen Hartley 3 r 4 times, speed, loads of aggression, a leader, clever on the ball, already has most things we are lacking in our backs.

I cant think of two many others really sticking out John Dalton maybe but he looks like his now as fit as once was.

Seriously please tell me you are joking? Pat Hartley and John Dalton are 32! You have seen Hartley 3 or 4 times doing what? Playing Intermediate club i assume. Pat Hartley was tried out in the League 7 or 8 years ago , i think against Galway, and was taken off at half time because he was completely out of his depth.

Seriously please tell me you are joking? Pat Hartley and John Dalton are 32! You have seen Hartley 3 or 4 times doing what? Playing Intermediate club i assume. Pat Hartley was tried out in the League 7 or 8 years ago , i think against Galway, and was taken off at half time because he was completely out of his depth.

John Dalton has 2 or 3 years on him im sure, look i probably agree with you about going back to lads who are already tried. Its not just Hartley probably others around the County too

So be it, if anyone is going well with his club get him in, Mark Bergin got his chance last year and didnt take it, what have Kilkenny got to lose, Kilkenny need 3 r 4 backs, a bit of speed, quality, aggression, its clearly not there, lads like Murphy have been terrible all year and start every match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

John Dalton has 2 or 3 years on him im sure, look i probably agree with you about going back to lads who are already tried. Its not just Hartley probably others around the County too

So be it, if anyone is going well with his club get him in, Mark Bergin got his chance last year and didnt take it, what have Kilkenny got to lose, Kilkenny need 3 r 4 backs, a bit of speed, quality, aggression, its clearly not there, lads like Murphy have been terrible all year and start every match.

I cant see the reasoning bringing in lads now...all inter county teams are at a certain level thus these lads would be far off the pace. Having said that a couple of players last Saturday evening had little training or matches under their belt which is very wrong for a hurling county like Kilkenny.

kk.man wrote: »
    I cant see the reasoning bringing in lads now...all inter county teams are at a certain level thus these lads would be far off the pace. Having said that a couple of players last Saturday evening had little training or matches under their belt which is very wrong for a hurling county like Kilkenny.

Something has to be done now to save this year. I dont have any solutions im afraid. Some changes have to be made:

Eoin Murphy

C Delaney K Joyce C Fogarty

P Walsh Rob Lennon J Cleere

M Fennelly C Buckley

W Walsh R Hogan K Kelly

TJ Reid C Fennelly G Aylward

2/3 players short, badly need a presence in the half back line.
    Buckley could be great midfield.
    Id try TJ inside getting bottled out the field and asked to do to much,

Anyone else instead of Kevin Kelly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Something has to be done now to save this year. I dont have any solutions im afraid. Some changes have to be made:

Eoin Murphy

C Delaney K Joyce C Fogarty

P Walsh Rob Lennon J Cleere

M Fennelly C Buckley

W Walsh R Hogan K Kelly

TJ Reid C Fennelly G Aylward

2/3 players short, badly need a presence in the half back line.
    Buckley could be great midfield.
    Id try TJ inside getting bottled out the field and asked to do to much,

Anyone else instead of Kevin Kelly ?

Mick Fennelly is finished. Don't think he'll play much for KK again if at all.
    The all Ireland is gone, you cannot win from where we are, unproven people playing very poorly, not just once but through the league and into the championship.

E Murphy
    P murphy
    Holden
    J Cleere/ Joe Lyng
    Walsh
    Joyce
    Buckley
    Wally
    Fogarty
    TJ
    An other
    Hogan
    Aylward
    Fennelly
    C Bolger

Subs:
    R Leahy
    P Lyng
    Donnelly
    Prendergast
    Lester

If Mick Fennelly does make it the centre forward he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dionysis wrote: »
    Mick Fennelly is finished. Don't think he'll play much for KK again if at all.
    The all Ireland is gone, you cannot win from where we are, unproven people playing very poorly, not just once but through the league and into the championship.

Both unproven AND proven people playing very poorly.

I agree with Dastardly,

Look a few big names have to be dropped who are not performing, its the only way to shake and freshen things up.

Cody always did it in the past and it worked, Murphy, Fogarty lesser degree Walsh could do a spell on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Has Mark Bergin left the panel? Very harse that he hasn't made the panel for the game last Saturday.

Heard he didn't even get asked to a meeting the week of the game.

Incredibly bad management if that's the case as I believe it to be.

He is captain at end of the day.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Has Mark Bergin left the panel? Very harse that he hasn't made the panel for the game last Saturday.

The whole thing stinks.. Lot of players only care about there own profile and performance going on Saturday, not working for each other.

Pat Harley is 32, he was on the '04 Minor team. You admit the experiment in bringing back Mark Bergin didn't work yet you are advocating bringing back a man 5 years older and playing at a lower level on the grounds that he looks good playing Intermediate club hurling! Bizarre.

The simple fact of the matter is the talent just isn't there at the moment. That's the way sport works, it goes in cycles, it's nobody's fault. What we should be doing is looking to guys like Conor Delaney, Jason Cleere, Conor Doheny, Tommy Walsh, Richie Leahy, Billy Ryan, John Donnelly and further down the food chain the likes of Adrian Mullen, Mossy Keoghan Niall Brassil over the next year or two.

We might get lucky with a favourable draw and have a chance to get a bit of game time into the likes of Padraig Walsh, Kevin Kelly, Ger Alyward and Mick Fennelly and build up a head of steam and make it to Croke Park but to be honest that would be a bonus, it's time to start building for the future.

The whole thing stinks.. Lot of players only care about there own profile and performance going on Saturday, not working for each other.

What whole thing stinks?

Pat Harley is 32, he was on the '04 Minor team. You admit the experiment in bringing back Mark Bergin didn't work yet you are advocating bringing back a man 5 years older and playing at a lower level on the grounds that he looks good playing Intermediate club hurling! Bizarre.

The simple fact of the matter is the talent just isn't there at the moment. That's the way sport works, it goes in cycles, it's nobody's fault. What we should be doing is looking to guys like Conor Delaney, Jason Cleere, Conor Doheny, Tommy Walsh, Richie Leahy, Billy Ryan, John Donnelly and further down the food chain the likes of Adrian Mullen, Mossy Keoghan Niall Brassil over the next year or two.

We might get lucky with a favourable draw and have a chance to get a bit of game time into the likes of Padraig Walsh, Kevin Kelly, Ger Alyward and Mick Fennelly and build up a head of steam and make it to Croke Park but to be honest that would be a bonus, it's time to start building for the future.

I was advocating that Mark Bergin got his chance when called back in and started and All Ireland Semi Final, some might work, others may not. Other members on the forum brought up the idea of calling Pat Harley back based on performances recently, i supported the idea of keeping options open at the moment for any player that can improve the team. Competition of some sort is needed if that means calling in older players then try it.

John Dalton was on the minor team of 03, Pat Hartley was on the minor team of 05 which was beat in the first round by Dublin if my memory serves me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Only the 26 players named on the programme were at that meeting. All other panel members did not attend.

I was advocating that Mark Bergin got his chance when called back in and started and All Ireland Semi Final, some might work, others may not. Other members on the forum brought up the idea of calling Pat Harley back based on performances recently, i supported the idea of keeping options open at the moment for any player that can improve the team. Competition of some sort is needed if that means calling in older players then try it.

John Dalton was on the minor team of 03, Pat Hartley was on the minor team of 05 which was beat in the first round by Dublin if my memory serves me right.

Sorry, i apologise it was the '03 team that they were both on. Pat Hartley was not on the '05 Minor team, so your memory doesn't serve you right! He's 32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

DickoHara wrote: »
    You have them in every county look at the lies rumours that was going on in Tipperary

To be fair that was all instigated in Offaly, but I do agree with the idea that they exist in every county and by its very nature they are more in extreme in the successful counties, remember the very colourful description of the Kerry football supporters a few years back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

My point was that for proven players, at least you know they are up to it, whereas with unproven players you don't even know if they'll come good and therefore you don't think that things will get good enough to win an All Ireland.

And I would agree with dropping players, but then you are definitely planning for next year.

is 3 weeks sufficient time to get, all the injured party back ?

• Advertisement

Dionysis wrote: »
    My point was that for proven players, at least you know they are up to it, whereas with unproven players you don't even know if they'll come good and therefore cannot

Unproven players are always going to be a gamble and every team has to except that not all unproven players will succeed.

But when the proven players (P Murphy, Joyce, Fogarty, Wally, Hogan, TJ, C Fennelly) are all playing poorly, then we're really up sh*t creek with a paddle.

Mick Fennelly
    Padraig Walsh
    Richie Hogan

Anyone else?

Poor Mick Fennelly could be in perfect condition for the next two and a half weeks and then be crocked the day before the match. We're better off planning without him.

I'd say Padraig Walsh should be okay. Although his confidence must have taken a bashing on Saturday.

Richie Hogan I'm worried about. He seems to always have issues with his back & legs. He was stretching his calves/hamstrings in the second half of the Wexford match whenever there was a break in play. It seemed like he wasn't able to fully commit to tackling etc. A long summer of rest may be the best thing for him.

Mick Fennelly
    Padraig Walsh
    Richie Hogan

Anyone else?

Poor Mick Fennelly could be in perfect condition for the next two and a half weeks and then be crocked the day before the match. We're better off planning without him.

I'd say Padraig Walsh should be okay. Although his confidence must have taken a bashing on Saturday.

Richie Hogan I'm worried about. He seems to always have issues with his back & legs. He was stretching his calves/hamstrings in the second half of the Wexford match whenever there was a break in play. It seemed like he wasn't able to fully commit to tackling etc. A long summer of rest may be the best thing for him.

TJ 30 this year,

Richie Hogan 29 or 30 soon

Fennelly 33 next birthday,

Time is catching up on these,

TJ seems in the best order but the poor lad is carrying 2 or 3 lads

TJ 30 this year,

The 30 bracket isn't that old but..
    Maybe it's a bit like Wayne Rooney... a combination of getting older and the accumulation of the years in which they were playing at the very top-level. There's a lot of miles in the their legs.

All young men ffs. Hogan seems to have hamstring problems for a number of years. I wonder why hamstrings can't be sorted. No hamstring problems in my time; think it's connected someway with training methods today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's the way sport works, it goes in cycles, it's nobody's fault.
    Just want to go back up on this point. While I agree the talent may not be there right now, and certainly the talent that was there a few years back may never be seen again, I wouldn't go so far as to agree with this often-repeated idea that sport simply goes in cycles and that's it (and before I start this rant, just know I'm not having a go at you at all, I understand what you meant by the comment, that the expectations people have are too high because of how spoiled we were before).

If it's nobody's fault that we aren't good enough right now, then it follows that it was to nobody's credit that we were good before. That doesn't add up, to me. The teams of the 2002-2012 period didn't just happen out of thin air. Sure there were uniquely talented lads in there, but it was also the product of a county board response to a perceived crisis at underage level, Cody's own massive reform of the senior set up after defeat to Galway in 2001, a renewed county-wide interest in encouraging underage participation and so on. That wasn't going to be sustainable forever, but it didn't just happen because of a natural cycle (if it did Limerick would have won something at senior off those three in a row under 21 teams), there was a lot of factors that came together to take advantage of the great players that came along, involving a lot of hard work and serious innovation that made us the envy of every other county. Not that I would want to be pointing a finger of blame at people for our decline since, but just washing our hands of it, saying that it's the natural cycle and it's nobody's fault and lying down accepting it, that won't cut it either.

We need a similar revolution to the one that happened in the late nineties and early 2000s, at underage and senior level, to revamp all aspects of our approach. Because clearly there are several things broken right now. The minor teams have been one thing, but under 21 is clearly in a bad way at the moment (maybe things are changing, last year might have been the kick in the hole we needed). The newer players coming into senior are not as driven as they were before either. At senior level we've seen a drop off in the stick work of our inter county players, their positional sense as well. And tactically we are all over the map right now.

These are all perfectly fixable problems, whether in the medium or the longer term. There's nothing natural or inevitable about the current mediocrity and if I know anything about Kilkenny GAA, they won't be sitting on their ar$es waiting for the wheel to turn back their way like Cork spent the last decade and a half doing.

I think we've found a replacement for Dr. Tadhg Crowley :rolleyes:
    unrealtime wrote: »
    All young men ffs. Hogan seems to have hamstring problems for a number of years. I wonder why hamstrings can't be sorted. No hamstring problems in my time; think it's connected someway with training methods today.

Back to five laps and a match, followed by a feed of porter?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Round 1 is essentially Munster vs Leinster.

Preliminary Round:

Firstly, there is the Preliminary Round, which is Laois v Carlow (Sunday June 25th @ 3.30pm in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise). The winners go through to Qualifier Round 1.

Round 1 (Saturday July 1st):
    Prior to the main draw, Westmeath and the winners of Carlow/Laois will be randomly assigned to the Munster/Leinster 'bowls'.

The Munster bowl will consist of:
    • Tipperary
    • Limerick
    • Losers of Waterford/Cork

The Leinster bowl will consist of:
    • Dublin
    • Kilkenny
    • Losers of Offaly/Galway

Team from Munster bowl will play against team from Leinster bowl in Round 1.
    Repeat pairings cannot occur, so If Laois beat Carlow, then Laois & Westmeath cannot meet each other.

So at the moment KK could play: Tipperary, Limerick, losers of Waterford/Cork, winners of Laois/Carlow, or Westmeath.

Round 2 (Saturday July 8th):
    Winners of Round 1 go through to Round 2.
    Round 2 is an open draw, but repeat pairings cannot occur.
    Winners of Round 2 go through to AI Quarter-Finals.

I'm open to correction on any of the above.

I hate the way the first round draw is, there is no reason why it isnt open draw, obviously with those who have already played each other kept apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

A huge amount depends on the draw we really need a kind draw first because a week turn around then is going to be huge providing we get a win.
    I've read here people saying we were unlucky last wknd while I agree we could of stole a draw wexford were a 7 point better team.
    While we have problems in defence our forwards have being very poor this long time.I couldn't believe seeing alyward coming off it was a terrible call and bringing on richie reid as a forward was unbelievable.even the craic with not naming the team was unusual.
    Going forward we'll need a huge amount to go right for us to get to croker injuries probably the most important.if we can get padraig and hogan back right it'll be huge..I dunno how many times its being raised here why wasn't more defenders brought in at the start of the year.
    I'm happy bolger got game time anyone following club hurling knows that himself and John walsh both have that spark and bolger will improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I don't understand why there is a week between the next 2 games - surely there should be 2 weeks between them, for all the teams concerned.

Less teams at the higher end of hurling while everybody (except New York), as of today, is still in the football championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

And back to my original point. Richie Hogan, Mick Fennelly and TJ have been on the go so long now and have been/still are fantastic servants to the county. These men have put their bodies on the line time and time again. After winning numerous All-Irelands, while us supporters are enjoying the excesses of Christmas, these boys are out in the rain/snow and sh*te already doing the mundane, much dreaded stamina running on cold winters nights. These men are not MACHINES! That constant wear and tear impinges on the body and that yard of pace finally goes. That spring in the step, call it what you like, sharpness, mobility, movement all suffer over time. Training has evolved so much in the last 15 years and I think that is why we will rarely see hurlers/footballers playing on until their mid thirties- the bodies eventually say enough is enough.
    All three aforementioned are all CLASS hurlers, all hurlers of the year, and definitely some of Kilkenny's best hurlers ever. TJ was still one of the top performers on Saturday night but without reaching hurler of the year heights-but we CAN'T expect that every match, he is human after all. I thought Richie battled away too but is having trouble with hamstrings/back I know. If he's missing out on trainings, that will catch up, especially when you come up with boys like Chin, O'Keeffe, Murphy, Breen, Nolan jumping out of their skins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I don't think I've ever seen a penalty as good as TJ's 2nd! Absolutely unsavable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

I don't think I've ever seen a penalty as good as TJ's 2nd! Absolutely unsavable

Henry's vs Tipp 2010 would be up there too, remember the good ol' days with 3 on the line!! That was a cracker too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Sorry, i apologise it was the '03 team that they were both on. Pat Hartley was not on the '05 Minor team, so your memory doesn't serve you right! He's 32.

Pat Hartley is 30 and not 32......he was Richie Power captained minor winning team in 03 and 04 minor team that lost to Galway in a replay

• Advertisement

I think he is probably the same age as Joyce i.e. too old to play hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

TJ 30 this year,

TJ reid doesn't score from play any more.

C__MC wrote: »
    I cannot comprehend how Wexford suddenly have turned the screw and Kilkenny have become an average team. It's virtually both the same teams from last year, a mediocre Dublin beat Wexford out the gate. On paper, Kilkenny are a better team then Wexford, after all the Majority of this team won Leinster at a canter last year.

Agree with a lot of posters on here, lads need to be played in position and tactics need to be employed and improvements made on key areas. Kilkenny delivery of the ball is in fact terrible, bar fennelly very few of there forwards can take on a man and score. Always 2nd best to a breaking ball as well and there shape just disappears as the game goes on. Walter Walsh isn't mobile enough for the half forward line nor is blanchfield. Play them inside or drop them. I have been harsh on j Holden on other threads but he was An all star two years ago, let's see can he redeem himself. Richie hogan needs to play around the 40 where he does damage.

The draw from hell really is tipp, cork or Waterford. The pace and power in those teams (judging via league and sat night) would cut Kilkenny open like a knife through butter. The draw is key, a favourable could ignite there season. However like Brendan Cummins said, it's a huge ask to win 5 games straight on current viewing.

It hasn`t been sudden.
    It has been a steady decline as the younger players are nothing like the older lads that are leaving and that is taking hold now.
    Codys greatest achievement was not 2008, it was 14 and 15

The players of the level we are used to seeing
    Are not their any more you just have to go to club games .we were spoilt best forward in county final last year was gorta.
    Now i thought coady was probaly right
    Going with walsh in the forward s. It showed intent .if hiš wideš go over it's a masterstroke
    Ger alyward like wise we were doing all the hurling but not finishing.
    In the league we saw leahy and pat lyng two for the future but both picked up niggles and will learn and improve.
    Talk of john donnelly is nonsence way to early.
    Still think joey is ahead of lennon and o shea.
    As bad as thing went on the night we butchered at least 3 goal chances throw in the early wides and its a different discussion on here.
    In a practice game in carton house richie reid was outstanding at wingforward that is where that came from.

The few things that are still eating me are

Buckly not following chin
    He took over the game
    Alyward being subed
    We had a balance when he and colin were together in the first half he just needed to settle on it and draw a man or look back out the field
    For runners.
    Wally being so poor allstar last year and struggling so much this year.
    As for wexford they are conceding so many goal chances they could be on the end of 5 goals against galway.and wont score that much.
    A win against us might paper over cracks.
    I hope we play lads in their best positions the next day get a few lads back drive on in training
    And give whoever we get a real test .wexford were waiting six months for us after all.

what that actually showed was that the kilkenny wing backs were in trouble not that reid was going well

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

phkk wrote: »
    Henry's vs Tipp 2010 would be up there too, remember the good ol' days with 3 on the line!! That was a cracker too!!

I'm assuming you mean 09, and while that was a rocket of a penalty, it would have came back off Cummins head if he hadn't moved. I've watched it several times over and Cummins ducked down and tried to get his hurl to it.

The one TJ hit was unstoppable for a goalie on his own, and even with three on the line I couldn't see it being saved.

• Advertisement

I think he is probably the same age as Joyce i.e. too old to play hurling

Maybe, Jackie wanted to stay on another year as he thought he had one more year left in him, Cody politely told him his time was up.

Jackie is nearly 35, he was badly needed Saturday evening, was ahead of Lennon, Joyce, Murphy, Fogarty and O Shea

As you infer Jackie at 35 is still a young man and, if good enough, should be considered. However I don't think he is quick enough in his reactions to play at the highest level any more. He is slow to release the ball and tends to get caught in possession too easily. I don't think it is possible to iron out the problems he has at this late stage. Anyone who is good enough irrespective of age (within reason) should get a chance to play. Fellows like Hartley and Joyce have years left in them, if good enough.

Ffs we're in serious trouble if the solution is to bring in 32 year olds, and bring Jackie Tyrrell out of retirement. Sure why not bring back gorta while you're at it, best forward in the county last year.

There are loads of young hurlers in Kilkenny, the place is jammed to the rafters with them. If the objective is to build for sustainable success, you don't bring in lads who are half way to drawing a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Ffs we're in serious trouble if the solution is to bring in 32 year olds, and bring Jackie Tyrrell out of retirement. Sure why not bring back gorta while you're at it, best forward in the county last year.

There are loads of young hurlers in Kilkenny, the place is jammed to the rafters with them. If the objective is to build for sustainable success, you don't bring in lads who are half way to drawing a pension.

Agree completely!! As for the lad who suggested that Pat Hartley is the best fielder in intermediate others perhaps might argue that JJ Delaney and Tommy Walsh would have a say in that!! Maybe we should bring them back as well!

Tommy was dumped and JJ retired too early

Id have Tomy Walsh corner back over Conor o Shea every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

"Jammed to the rafters with them"...good enough to play intercounty...well I go to all clubs games every single round and I'm baffled by that statement. Where or who the hell are they?

Standard of club games at senior level is awful, huge decline over past 5 years in the club senior hurling championship, year on year a huge decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree with that.age shouldnt count young or old.tommy for o shea all day long.

"Jammed to the rafters with them"...good enough to play intercounty...well I go to all clubs games every single round and I'm baffled by that statement. Where or who the hell are they?

Standard of club games at senior level is awful, huge decline over past 5 years in the club senior hurling championship, year on year a huge decline.
    I didn't say they were all good enough to play inter-county. If you read my last post on this subject I already acknowledged there are deeper problems. In fact that's my exact point, that it isn't just a matter of us having wrongly dropped some older players for new ones. I said we have loads of young hurlers. People are seriously suggesting that getting Tommy and Jackie and JJ and the like out of retirement (several years after retirement, mind you) as a solution to the problem. That's absolutely bananas, it is the definition of living in the past. For one thing, Jackie was there the last two years and was a shadow of his former self. The others are even longer out of the game. But that's neither here nor there, the whole conversation is ludicrous. If the problem is that the senior championship has declined in quality (and it has, I agree totally), then THAT's the problem that needs to be solved. Another year from Tommy and Jackie (I can't believe I'm even typing that), and where are we the following year? Do you really think we'll win an All Ireland with a bunch of aging greats? Or would that be, at best, staving off the inevitable, that deeper structural problems need to be faced in Kilkenny hurling?

Like I said in a post yesterday, Kilkenny GAA has, in the recent past, identified serious structural problems in how it was producing its teams from club to underage to senior intercounty, and it took action. The result was the greatest period of dominance in the history of the sport. On here some people's solution to the same problem would have been to force Peter Barry and Charlie Carter and Andy Comerford and DJ and the O'Connors to hurl until they keeled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

suirway wrote: »
    Agree completely!! As for the lad who suggested that Pat Hartley is the best fielder in intermediate others perhaps might argue that JJ Delaney and Tommy Walsh would have a say in that!! Maybe we should bring them back as well!

Suirway that was me and if you were at any intermediate games over the last few years you would see that. Im not advocating that some of these lads have to be brought in. I'm just saying even at his age he is a far better option for the next two years than conor o shea or robert lennon.
    Pat Hartley did get his chance some years ago but was played in midfield in the league because of the talent we had in the backs. His position is as a back full stop. In relation to lennon and o shea these guys are fine hurlers but unless they improve in terms of speed and 1st touch they are not up to the standard required.
    The likes of conor delaney, Jason cleere, joe lyng and Evan cody have to be given a decent run. Otherwise what's the point of having them on the panel.

With all of the doomsday talk if we go out with the following fit team in the qualifiers we could regain momentum again and start causing trouble for anyone.

Murphy
    Murphy
    Joyce
    Fogarty
    Padraig
    Cleere
    Buckley
    M Fennelly
    Walter
    Richie hogan
    TJ
    Leahy