Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

citykat wrote: »
    There was an AI won by a Kilkenny team today. Dicksboro won the Hurling Feile defeating Sixmilebridge in the final. The last Kilkenny team to win it was the loughs in 2011. Boro won it previously in 2009. The village of course are the most successful feile club in the country.

What was the outcome of the Craughwell / James Stephens game? Was this a Shield final rather than 'the final proper' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Village won that, at least that's what Jackie Tyrrell said on the Sunday game, and yeah that was the shield final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

Philip82 wrote: »
    I hope Brian was looking at the quality of ball the cork lads were feeding the forwards with today and the last day to be fair. Its unbelievable the difference it makes to even the most average of a forward. No hail mary shots from the half back line bombing in with snow on em for da burca to mop up, instead the diagonal ball hopping in front of the running forward, now he suddenly has a 90/10 chance of beating his man by makimg space and shooting or be fouled as he is already moving. Sounds simple yet so many teams (and kk prob the worst offenders) insisist on sledging in high ball to an inside forward line thats overcrowded and incapable of winning high ball. I wrote this because i think Cork are a decent team but no better or worse than our own lads but the technique they have goes back to simple intelligent Hurling.

Corks backs supply a lovely ball to their forwards, they find the right man in the half back line or midfield before they deliver a ball into space for the forwards, comfortable and tidy on the ball can allow this..

Kilkenny cant really do this at the moment, Conor o Shea, Paul Murphy, Conor Fogarty maybe Paddy Deegan are not tidy or comfortable on the ball, leading dropped balls being hooked etc and poor slow ball to the forwards, this was one of the attributes to a poor performance last week, i remember the days when Tommy Hogan Jackie and Mick Kavanagh always looked like they had time to clear a good ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Anyone here from the Boro? Care to share your knowledge of what you're doing in there. Walked the Feile, walked last years Lisdowney 7s and Canices 6 in a row schools winners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Aw come on. Nobody takes Mullane seriously. He's a clown pure and simple.

I don't think he will ever get over the hiding him and Waterford took in 2008. That night he was commentating in the WF KK match you could actually here his voice and emotions dwindle as KK came back into the match while he was cloud 9 when Wexford were doing all the hurling. As the dust has settled on the kk defeat, the only real tough draw would be Tipp. Waterford confidence must be low at this stage and they don't seem to have any game plan. The semi final defeat last year was a real blow then physiologically and you'd wonder if that was as far as mc Grath can take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Anyone here from the Boro? Care to share your knowledge of what you're doing in there. Walked the Feile, walked last years Lisdowney 7s and Canices 6 in a row schools winners
    Not from the Boro but know the scene/people pretty well. Major factor in their success is St. Canices school. Very popular, oversubscribed. 3 classes per year. Huge no.s. Takes in pupils from all over the city and beyond even as far away as Kells. Lot of these kids tend to gravitate towards the Boro ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Not from the Boro but know the scene/people pretty well. Major factor in their success is St. Canices school. Very popular, oversubscribed. 3 classes per year. Huge no.s. Takes in pupils from all over the city and beyond even as far away as Kells. Lot of these kids tend to gravitate towards the Boro ultimately.

And give up as there is not enough senior, minor or u21 games for them

dzer2 wrote: »

And give up as there is not enough senior, minor or u21 games for them
    As a boro man, can definitely confirm. The city clubs are far too big, it's very wasteful, there should be a fourth, junior club in the city, like a reverse divisional team (which Kilkenny should also have)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Kilkenny will be up against either Waterford/Tipperary/Limerick/Laois or Carlow in the 1st Round All-Ireland senior hurling qualifier draw.
    The match venues will be determined on a home and away basis but it’s understood that if Tipperary and Kilkenny are pitted together, for example, that may be decided by coin toss.
    Pot 1 – Kilkenny/Offaly/Dublin/Westmeath
    Pot 2 – Waterford/Tipperary/Limerick/Laois or Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

As a boro man, can definitely confirm. The city clubs are far too big, it's very wasteful, there should be a fourth, junior club in the city, like a reverse divisional team (which Kilkenny should also have)

Agree there. A junior club could be based around the Freshford road with James' park given by board for them.Also an extra team inJohns with Dunmore used by them.
    These clhbs would have their own premises within a decade such is the appetite in KK for the game.

• Advertisement

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny will play either Waterford/Tipperary/Limerick/Laois or Carlow in the 1st Round All-Ireland senior hurling qualifier draw.
    Kind of coming round to agreeing with c MC, I think that we've a decent shot against any of those. Wouldn't be favorites against Waterford or tipp, and I think either could get a nice boost to their season by beating us, but Waterford have no clear gameplan or identity, any more than we do, so no real reason to make them favorites. And if our bad form is identifiable since the league, then we also can take heart that when we are motivated we can still produce a serious performance against tipp.

That optimism is tempered because I was optimistic before Wexford and we were dire, and I'm not saying I think we're just going to turn into a different team than we've shown ourselves to be throughout the year. I'm just not as pessimistic as I was last week!

Feck it, would love to end tipps season again like in 2013, was nearly as good as some of the all Irelands that day!

Agree there. A junior club could be based around the Freshford road with James' park given by board for them.Also an extra team inJohns with Dunmore used by them.
    These clhbs would have their own premises within a decade such is the appetite in KK for the game.

Not much appetite in the existing clubs for it though. Plenty for them to lose and nothing to gain from it, especially if they were to lose recruiting territory. Not sure how a club would get on trying to recruit kids without its own territory either. I'm pretty sure the Boro wouldn't give up on the Sycamores, and all of the other areas around James's Park without a major fight, let alone the fact that it's right beside St Canice's! But given the size of the city and the number of kids playing, the current city clubs are oversized and it's a huge part of the reason for the drop off in playing numbers in successive age groups. From my own memory of being pretty sh1t, you just weren't valued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I am hoping to get the easiest draw possible for the 1st round Laois/Carlow or Limerick at home. After Sunday, I wouldn't fear Waterford but want to avoid Tipp. If we get an easy draw, Cody could give R Hogan, P Walsh etc another weeks rest, they badly need it.

If we have a tough game and have to play a full strength team I'd go with:
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce O'Shea/Joey
    P Walsh M Fen Buckley
    C Fogarty Deegan
    Wally/Lester TJ R Hogan
    Aylward C Fen JJ Farrell

If M Fen is not 100%, you could move Buckley to CB and Deegan to wing back, or start R Reid there.
    Forward options: Bolger, K Kelly, Blanch.

1984baby wrote: »
    I am hoping to get the easiest draw possible for the 1st round Laois/Carlow or Limerick at home. After Sunday, I wouldn't fear Waterford but want to avoid Tipp. If we get an easy draw, Cody could give R Hogan, P Walsh etc another weeks rest, they badly need it.

If we have a tough game and have to play a full strength team I'd go with:
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce O'Shea/Joey
    P Walsh M Fen Buckley
    C Fogarty Deegan
    Wally/Lester TJ R Hogan
    Aylward C Fen JJ Farrell

If M Fen is not 100%, you could move Buckley to CB and Deegan to wing back, or start R Reid there.
    Forward options: Bolger, K Kelly, Blanch.

Hard to see Mick Fennelly and Richie Hogan being ready, unless your 100% or very close to it, you cant get away with Championship hurling now. Lehane got away with it Sunday as his team mates were all 100% and he was 90 and still lasted 55 mins, limping around the last 10.

Paul Murphy & Conor Fogarty hopelessly out of form the last year, Conor o Shea & Joey Holden not good enough, JJ Farrelll cant barely hit the ball.

That team would struggle V Tipp/waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cottontraders

Any idea of U21 team for Wed night ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi unrealtime, just wondering if you've had a chance yet to dig out where I attributed comments to you that were never made. Like I said, I'm happy enough to apologise if I did, but I'd appreciate being told when this was.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny will be up against either Waterford/Tipperary/Limerick/Laois or Carlow in the 1st Round All-Ireland senior hurling qualifier draw.
    The match venues will be determined on a home and away basis but it’s understood that if Tipperary and Kilkenny are pitted together, for example, that may be decided by coin toss.
    Pot 1 – Kilkenny/Offaly/Dublin/Westmeath
    Pot 2 – Waterford/Tipperary/Limerick/Laois or Carlow.

Anyone know why if KK-Tipp are drawn together it would be a coin toss?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whats the difference between venues being determined "on a home and away basis " and a coin toss? Seems to amount to the same thing. One team or the other will have home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

adrian522 wrote: »
    Whats the difference between venues being determined "on a home and away basis " and a coin toss? Seems to amount to the same thing. One team or the other will have home advantage.

Yeah, that one has me stumped as well. But it's a GAA draw so it will probably involve three pots, a coin and maybe even a few live animals!:D

Why it's not an open draw baffles me, these teams are out of their provincial Championships. This is the All Ireland they are competing for now so why should geographic location come into it?!:confused:

Yeah, still better than the old system of quarter final losers v quarter final losers and semi losers v semi losers. Though at least under that system we'd avoid the stone throwers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Village87 wrote: »
    Hard to see Mick Fennelly and Richie Hogan being ready, unless your 100% or very close to it, you cant get away with Championship hurling now. Lehane got away with it Sunday as his team mates were all 100% and he was 90 and still lasted 55 mins, limping around the last 10.

Paul Murphy & Conor Fogarty hopelessly out of form the last year, Conor o Shea & Joey Holden not good enough, JJ Farrelll cant barely hit the ball.

That team would struggle V Tipp/waterford

Don't know how people have lost faith in JJ Farrell. He scored 2-09 from play in 2 games last year, had a bad game against Waterford and hasn't been seen since. Joey was an all star in his 1st year at FB, hit a bad spell last season and now is completely written off.
    One thing Cody has to do is only play lads who are 100% fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kilkenny v Westmeath
    D Brennan
    M Cody, C Delaney, J Burke
    C Doheny, J Cleere, T Walsh
    L Scanlon, P Lyng
    A Murphy, J Donnelly, S Morrissey
    S Walsh, L Blanchfield, B Ryan
    Subs
    L Dunphy
    R Bergin
    D Mullen
    N McMahon
    K Crowley
    E Kenny
    R Leahy
    C Hennessy
    J Bergin

Don't know how people have lost faith in JJ Farrell. He scored 2-09 from play in 2 games last year, had a bad game against Waterford and hasn't been seen since. Joey was an all star in his 1st year at FB, hit a bad spell last season and now is completely written off.

I haven't lost faith in JJ Farrell he was playing fabulous hurling last year and I think that's why he got his chances. He may not have been able to replicate that enough this year to force his way into the team? We all know he has an awkward style of striking but he's heart and determination can't be questioned and he was very effective in those games last year. If all the others were fit and 100% I would have 6 others ahead of him but I would have given him a run the last day before Richie Reid against Wexford as he always causes trouble for backs.

I completely agree about Joey Holden. I think Cody's experimenting in the League 2016 dented his confidence but he still did ok during the Championship until the AI when the whole team played particularly badly. That day they lined up in defence like we did in the 2014 drawn AI and just followed the men everywhere and we left acres of open space in Croke Park for Tipp to exploit. Which they did and it unfortunately left the FB line looking bad, when in fact the whole team played the wrong way and should have played like the 2014 replayed game. In that game we kept it very tight at the back, by and large held our positions and got plenty of help from midfield and forwards. How anyone can solely blame Paul, Joey and Shane is beyond me, in fact I think their owed an apology from the rest of the team for abandoning them that day. All of the 2016 FB line seem to be struggling with confidence this year. Instead of playing them in a few games in the league together to give them a chance to redeem themselves they were thrown into all sorts of strange positions and I think it only dented their confidence more when it didn't work out for them.

I think most of our lads are struggling for confidence and belief. Their not playing in a cohesive manner and I would wonder what the atmosphere in the camp is like? The one thing Cody prides himself on is the "spirit" of the team, I think its sorely missing. Can he engender that into them in 2 weeks?? I think it'll be very tough without our leaders most are retired and the experienced guys aren't stepping up yet from what I've seen. I think we have the players to win an All Ireland this year but I don't think we will at the minute because of the lack of "spirit" so far.

I think Henry Shefflin saying we have a weak squad is very poor form and he should know himself from his time involved that it's in no way helpful and in my humble opinion not true. For someone of his stature in Kilkenny & hurling to say that in the national media is very disappointing, even if he believes it I think he should keep it to private conversations. He never hear Eddie Keher come out and say Kilkenny didn't have the players in 04 or 05 when Shefflins team were struggling.

Posters constantly slating individual players saying their useless and not good enough is not on personally and very unKilkenny like. These lads are going out to do their very best for themselves, their families, their clubs and then us the fans and Kilkenny. They put their lives on hold for years to do their best for Kilkenny and I think we should all respect that. Do I think they should be above criticism? No, definitely not but there is a time and a place. At the moment the players need our support, particularly when their down. I'm not saying people shouldn't say who they think is good enough or if one player is better than another, players will always be better and worse than others. How can you say a lad is not good enough? If he is trying and is picked he must be doing something right at some stage, it might not work out for him everyday, they're human after all. All the lads in with the county can hurl and anyone who thinks they can't is deluding themselves. If there's a better 35 hurlers out there in the county that should be in there instead, lets hear who they are, if not lets just support the lads we have this year.

I hope they can iron out the problems that have crept into the psyche and belief of some in the camp. I'm not sure 2 weeks is enough time and maybe I'm over reading it but I hope we come out all guns blazing the next day against whoever. If you don't believe attitude makes a difference, look at Cork last year and now this year and listen to what their players are saying is the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I like Farrell, he is a great trier and will fight for everything. You could never question his heart or determination. The problem is that are many others that can offer as much as he can now (and more in the future)....... Leahy, Bolger, Walsh, Ryan, Scanlon, Kelly. Those lads are much younger and have more natural talent. It's his awkward style that prevents him for kicks on to the next level, but he is a great example of maximising the talents he does have through hard work and having the right attitude.

Also agree about Joey. We won an All-Ireland with him at full back. I wouldn't be starting him there now on form and I would dread to see him play up against the likes of Callanan in a straight contest, but he is surely good enough to hold down left corner back with his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Kilkenny v Westmeath
    D Brennan
    M Cody, C Delaney, J Burke
    C Doheny, J Cleere, T Walsh
    L Scanlon, P Lyng
    A Murphy, J Donnelly, S Morrissey
    S Walsh, L Blanchfield, B Ryan
    Subs
    L Dunphy
    R Bergin
    D Mullen
    N McMahon
    K Crowley
    E Kenny
    R Leahy
    C Hennessy
    J Bergin

Is Leahy injured? What about J. Walsh? Good to see that Donnelly is starting.

I doubt the match is being televised, is it? It's a fair trek to Mulligar for a mid week game.

Edit: It is on TG4 actually. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

The 2 biggest issues this KK team have is confidence and injuries. A win the next day could change our whole season. Cody has to stop playing players who are not 100%. It was clear to everyone the last day that Aylward Walsh and Hogan are not 100%. I would also imagine a few of the others like Lennon and OShea were not ready for championship hurling as they were out with injuries for periods of the league campaign. That's definitely 3 if not 5 players who were not 100% ready for the game against a revved up and super fit Wexford. Cody probably got away with that previously but not now. I hope we don't meet Tipp or Waterford but I would fear neither. It's now time for all KK supporters to get behind the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

v3ttel wrote: »
    Is Leahy injured? What about J. Walsh? Good to see that Donnelly is starting.

I doubt the match is being televised, is it? It's a fair trek to Mulligar for a mid week game.

Edit: It is on TG4 actually. Sweet.

Think John Walsh and Huw Lawlor are injured, still a strong team though, Mullen and Leahy are good options off the bench too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Think John Walsh and Huw Lawlor are injured, still a strong team though, Mullen and Leahy are good options off the bench too

Think your right bouts the 2 lads it would be a strong team with the lads plus leahy.I'm surprised kevin farrell isn't making the panel.what's the story with andy gaffney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Not much appetite in the existing clubs for it though. Plenty for them to lose and nothing to gain from it, especially if they were to lose recruiting territory. Not sure how a club would get on trying to recruit kids without its own territory either. I'm pretty sure the Boro wouldn't give up on the Sycamores, and all of the other areas around James's Park without a major fight, let alone the fact that it's right beside St Canice's! But given the size of the city and the number of kids playing, the current city clubs are oversized and it's a huge part of the reason for the drop off in playing numbers in successive age groups.[/B] From my own memory of being pretty sh1t, you just weren't valued.

Maybe a good a reason as any for the county board to push for another club - long term for the county!!

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    Think your right bouts the 2 lads it would be a strong team with the lads plus leahy.I'm surprised kevin farrell isn't making the panel.what's the story with andy gaffney?

Surprised that Gaffney and Martin Keoghan aren't on the panel aswell, they've been in good form in the club championship this year!! Also we've only named a panel of 24 is it not usually 26?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PatShortt

There was a club started in the 1980s by the late Eamon Hennessy they were based around the butts they played junior for a couple of years but disbanded then I think they were called ye fair city.

Surprised that Gaffney and Martin Keoghan aren't on the panel aswell, they've been in good form in the club championship this year!! Also we've only named a panel of 24 is it not usually 26?

Would martin keoghan be doing the leaving cert?it's usually 26 we had 26 the last day

Would martin keoghan be doing the leaving cert?it's usually 26 we had 26 the last day

Yeah that's true but so is James Bergin, maybe Bergin finished earlier and that's why he's included!! Not having the full 26 is a strange one, maybe there'll be a couple added that aren't listed

I see the intermediates are playing galway next week who are always strong.We probably won't be that strong considering we won it last year so we lose all them players.It's a pity it's not taken more seriously because it could be a great opportunity for lads out of u21 a few years to try press for the senior panel.Last year was great to see a host of this year's 21 team play hopefully this year we see something similar

Was talking to someone who knows in the U21 set up and they said they picked the team that they reckon can do the job. No idea why they only picked 24 players

John Walsh injured don't know the extent.
    Richie Leahy on the subs bench still not 100%
    Andy Gaffney just not picked as far as I know not injured
    Martin Keoghan his father wouldn't allow him be involved with the set up while he had his Leaving Cert which is fair enough and it would be unfair to pick him ahead of the others when he hasn't been involved all year.

• Advertisement

PP have KK at 1/20 to win and Westmeath at 10/1 to win. Seems a bit nuts considering the result last year and that at the end of the day it's still a two horse race...

I see the intermediates are playing galway next week who are always strong.We probably won't be that strong considering we won it last year so we lose all them players.It's a pity it's not taken more seriously because it could be a great opportunity for lads out of u21 a few years to try press for the senior panel.Last year was great to see a host of this year's 21 team play hopefully this year we see something similar

Who is over the Intermediates this year?

Probably a good few Under 21s involved, John Donnelly will be on that im sure.

Village87 wrote: »
    Who is over the Intermediates this year?

Probably a good few Under 21s involved, John Donnelly will be on that im sure.

Are the intermediates not playing Wexford in the leinster final? I heard that Galway have pulled out because they can only play players from Junior and intermediate teams this year.

Think Anthony McCormack of Dunnamaggin is the manager this year.

Not much appetite in the existing clubs for it though. Plenty for them to lose and nothing to gain from it, especially if they were to lose recruiting territory. Not sure how a club would get on trying to recruit kids without its own territory either. I'm pretty sure the Boro wouldn't give up on the Sycamores, and all of the other areas around James's Park without a major fight, let alone the fact that it's right beside St Canice's! But given the size of the city and the number of kids playing, the current city clubs are oversized and it's a huge part of the reason for the drop off in playing numbers in successive age groups. From my own memory of being pretty sh1t, you just weren't valued.

Just a few facts as of 2011 census haven't had time to update it but the population stats for the city clubs are as follows (they'r the top 3 clubs in the county population wise)
    1 O'Loughlin Gaels 10,753
    2 James Stephens 10,062
    3 Dicksboro 7,584

So if you were to locate a territory anywhere it should be in either O'Loughlins or the Village if you were to take population into account.

There is plenty of scope to expand the cities population on the Western side increasing the Boro's population but that hasn't happened yet.

You also have to consider that the city clubs will always have a higher fall off in participation due to other sport options and distractions on the young players doorstep whereas the rural or village players the GAA is by and large the only option without undertaking a journey.

In terms of area the 3 city clubs are ranked in the county
    16th O'Loughlin Gaels 59.45 sq/km
    35th Dicksboro 33.56 sq/km
    = James Stephens 33.56 sq/km

So the most likely option for a 4th club which I agree is necessary, at the moment would be O'Loughlins who has nearly twice the area and the biggest population of the city clubs.

just some further population figures if your interested
    4 Slieverue 5951
    5 Thomastown 4153
    6 Piltown 3839
    7 John Lockes 3455
    8 Erins Own 2959
    9 Danesfort 2579
    10 Mooncoin 2573

top 10 Areas of Clubs
    1 St Martins 94.47 sq/km
    2 Rower Inistioge 91.58 sq/km
    3 Thomastown 83.65 sq/km
    4 Piltown 80.95 sq/km
    5 Tullogher Rosbercon 80.67 sq/km
    6 John Lockes 77.34 sq/km
    7 Danesfort 72.47 sq/km
    8 Graigue Ballycallan 72.15 sq/km
    9 Dunnamaggin/Kilmoganny 71.15 sq/km
    10 Lisdowney 70.76 sq/km

I'm more than happy to see one of the other clubs get a bite taken out of their territory! Really what I'd envision though is an outlet for kids (and adults) from anywhere in the city, because the clubs are simply oversubscribed at all levels.

Incidentally while I agree the is a certain amount of truth that there are more options in town then or the country, saying that's the reason for the drop off let's the clubs off the hook too much for my liking. I didn't stop because the was soccer down the road, I stopped because going to training you were as likely as not going to be sent to the far end of the field away from the actual trainers while they concentrated on the good lads, and spent your match days sitting on a sideline doing nothing.

As an adult a friend of mine went back down to the club, and find that when they moved the training time or venue nobody was bothered to inform him. He left it and got involved playing in a small club in a neighbouring county. He wasn't very good, but he helped set up their underage section and trained the kids for a few years, won their club man of the year award. Meanwhile I went off and was involved in setting up a gaa club myself. My point is that in a small club that energy and enthusiasm for the game might have been harnessed and put in the service of the club itself. But in the boro, the sheer numbers they have meant that we were not involved, and nobody was looking past the fact that we were poor players. I have a feeling the big clubs lose a huge number of potentially very dedicated and active volunteers this way, and they probably gravitate to other sports as a result.

• Advertisement

Room for another 2 clubs in Kilkenny city going on the population of 28,000

St. Martins :cool: all that land and no-one in it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

There are a lot of under performing clubs in that top 10 based on population (outside of the City teams)

St. Martins :cool: all that land and no-one in it :cool:

Coon/Muckalee has a ridiculously big area

I'm more than happy to see one of the other clubs get a bite taken out of their territory! Really what I'd envision though is an outlet for kids (and adults) from anywhere in the city, because the clubs are simply oversubscribed at all levels.

Incidentally while I agree the is a certain amount of truth that there are more options in town then or the country, saying that's the reason for the drop off let's the clubs off the hook too much for my liking. I didn't stop because the was soccer down the road, I stopped because going to training you were as likely as not going to be sent to the far end of the field away from the actual trainers while they concentrated on the good lads, and spent your match days sitting on a sideline doing nothing.

As an adult a friend of mine went back down to the club, and find that when they moved the training time or venue nobody was bothered to inform him. He left it and got involved playing in a small club in a neighbouring county. He wasn't very good, but he helped set up their underage section and trained the kids for a few years, won their club man of the year award. Meanwhile I went off and was involved in setting up a gaa club myself. My point is that in a small club that energy and enthusiasm for the game might have been harnessed and put in the service of the club itself. But in the boro, the sheer numbers they have meant that we were not involved, and nobody was looking past the fact that we were poor players. I have a feeling the big clubs lose a huge number of potentially very dedicated and active volunteers this way, and they probably gravitate to other sports as a result.

I totally agree that it allows the city clubs off the hook and they should be trying harder to encourage participation at all levels over say 16. However if there aren't meaningful games for those you manage to keep involved, it will lead to participation dying off again.

Would the formation of street/estate leagues for the city be a starting point? Just a little mini league competition with lads who aren't involved in any grade with their club, so your not calling off games because of club or county games.
    You could have these age groups.
    Minor,
    U21,
    U30,
    U35
    Old,

If you had 6 teams based out of the 3 clubs that exist it would be a start and then add more if the demand was there. The Night Owls do it in the soccer and the Tag rugby do it also. With a strong social media campaign you could easily put those teams together and run it off successfully on different nights of the week. You could probably get grants from the GAA and local council as your encouraging community participation and cohesion with such projects. If the other sports can do it why can't you do it with hurling, in a hurling crazy county?

Having 5 age groups x 6 teams x 20 players a side = 600 more people involved in the city on a playing basis.
    Add that on top of the 4 teams most clubs have above 16 age group (minor, U21, Senior, Junior) giving you a participation level of about 360 currently in the city (average of 30 players per squad).

That would be a almost a twice as many more participating in hurling in the city. Then as these players and managers formed bonds over the years they would be in a stronger position to start any new clubs in the city with a wide network of like minded individuals. I think trying to start a club from scratch in Kilkenny would be very hard but with that type of a competition in place for a few years it could help ease the club loyalties which would be very hard to break currently.

Something to lighten the mood! :)

TJ vs Paul Murphy in a pull-up challenge

https://www.facebook.com/sheridaninsurances/videos/10154430195205807/

Video should be public (i.e. no FB account required)
    Murphy wins it easily IMO!

You could have these age groups.
    Minor,
    U21,
    U30,
    U35
    Old,

I like these age groups because, technically, it means I still qualify, just about, as "not old". Which isn't quite as good as young, but I'll take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Something to lighten the mood! :)

TJ vs Paul Murphy in a pull-up challenge

https://www.facebook.com/sheridaninsurances/videos/10154430195205807/

Video should be public (i.e. no FB account required)
    Murphy wins it easily IMO!

Tj has opened a gym so plugging big time.Think he wasnt much for.social.media but with the gym and he has a gf thats miss kilkenny he has to get the name out there

This is a shambles altogether

Terrible performance altogether.westmeath seem much sharper but there touch letting them down at times if it was a more clinical team we'd be well behind.some of the puck outs baffling

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement