Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Amy news from anyone yet in relation to training, form or injuries?
    For the 1st time in many years there are so many variables here.
    Are we going to see buckley and padraig out on the half back line?
    Are we going to see bolger, donnelly or billy ryan make the team/ panel?
    Is leahy ok to start?
    Are injuries to padraig and hogan cleared or regressed enough to allow them to play a full part?
    How has alyward, walter and bolgers form been since wexford?

Is there a possibility of a few surprises? One of maybe bolger, donnelly, ryan, delaney or joe lyng?

Looking forward to it big time. We have a chance Saturday to wipe the slate clean for everything that has gone already this year and take a big leap forward. Otherwise it's curtains.
    Structured the right way and having the attitude hopping we can drive on. A few early scores from aylward, tj, Colin or richie will do us the power of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Johnjo is still on the panel, rumours to state otherwise untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

JimTreacy wrote: »
    Our goalie would need to use possession better with the puckouts we need a vast improvement all around hopefully things will come together. The best of luck to all Kilkenny teams in action over the next week.

The goalkeeper is always the easy target here, if you pardon the pun, the reality is that when the outfield players are either been out fought or out hurled then there is very little the keeper can do, the same accusations have been levied at Darren Gleeson re the Cork game, but the reality is the outfield players were static and Cork were simply hungrier and working harder.

Eoin Murphy is one of the handful of top top class players that KK still have and is possibly the only one of the current team that would 100% have made the four in a row team, Paul Murphy, Ritchie Hogan and TJ Reid would have obvious strong claims but he is the only one that there is no debate or doubt about, he is the best keeper in the country and by quite a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Amy news from anyone yet in relation to training, form or injuries?
    For the 1st time in many years there are so many variables here.
    Are we going to see buckley and padraig out on the half back line?
    Are we going to see bolger, donnelly or billy ryan make the team/ panel?
    Is leahy ok to start?
    Are injuries to padraig and hogan cleared or regressed enough to allow them to play a full part?
    How has alyward, walter and bolgers form been since wexford?

Is there a possibility of a few surprises? One of maybe bolger, donnelly, ryan, delaney or joe lyng?

Looking forward to it big time. We have a chance Saturday to wipe the slate clean for everything that has gone already this year and take a big leap forward. Otherwise it's curtains.
    Structured the right way and having the attitude hopping we can drive on. A few early scores from aylward, tj, Colin or richie will do us the power of good.

Well based on what Richie said in the article that was published today, he now feels “like a new man” after the epidural he received last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

danganabu wrote: »
    The goalkeeper is always the easy target here, if you pardon the pun, the reality is that when the outfield players are either been out fought or out hurled then there is very little the keeper can do, the same accusations have been levied at Darren Gleeson re the Cork game, but the reality is the outfield players were static and Cork were simply hungrier and working harder.

Eoin Murphy is one of the handful of top top class players that KK still have and is possibly the only one of the current team that would 100% have made the four in a row team, Paul Murphy, Ritchie Hogan and TJ Reid would have obvious strong claims but he is the only one that there is no debate or doubt about, he is the best keeper in the country and by quite a distance.

While I agree with you that the keeper is an easy target and Murphy is a phenomenal keeper, the highlighted bit above to me is the key. If the players are just standing their waiting for it, the keeper has little option but to lump it down on the forwards or a short one to an uncovered corner back. However where I would question Murphy is why hasn't he taken the bull by the horns and instructed the half forwards to make runs for him to either create space or to double up on where the puck out will land. This is what Cork are doing and it works perfectly, now I'm sure their management are involved in this highly effective tactic but we all know Cody doesn't do that kind of stuff but doesn't mind if the players figure it out themselves.

There was a great interview on Newstalk I think, with David Herity and Michael Rice. Herity was asked "if Cody doesn't do tactics, what would he call the puckout strategy on the day?" (i think they were talking about the '12 AI replay) Herity replied that it didn't come from Cody that a few of the lads were leaving training one evening with Herity and they and quick chat about it and then they just did it for the replay, worked a treat. As Herity said Codys opinion on short puckouts was were no problem, as long as they were a 120 yards short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

minty81 wrote: »
    Johnjo is still on the panel, rumours to state otherwise untrue.

If Jonjo Farrell is still on the panel he should be demanding his place on the starting team Saturday to make to for what they did to him v Wexford

Our goalie would need to use possession better with the puckouts we need a vast improvement all around hopefully things will come together. The best of luck to all Kilkenny teams in action over the next week.

Ah here,how can you blame Eoin Murphy as stated in a few previous posts he is top class in every department. Whats his short option puck outs?? give it to Paul Murphy or Conor O Shea, there first touch wouldn't fill you with confidence, could end up back in the net as quick. Padraig Walsh amd Buckley are the only real options for short puck out unless Richie Hogan is Midfield, other backs and midfield are capable of anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Village87 wrote: »
    If Jonjo Farrell is still on the panel he should be demanding his place on the starting team Saturday to make to for what they did to him v Wexford

I dont think it works like that ................... :confused::rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

greenspurs wrote: »

I dont think it works like that ................... :confused::rolleyes:
    I certainly hope it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

Ah here,how can you blame Eoin Murphy as stated in a few previous posts he is top class in every department. Whats his short option puck outs?? give it to Paul Murphy or Conor O Shea, there first touch wouldn't fill you with confidence, could end up back in the net as quick. Padraig Walsh amd Buckley are the only real options for short puck out unless Richie Hogan is Midfield, other backs and midfield are capable of anything
    We all know murphy is a good goalie but I was thinking like a man said a couple of posts up you don't seem to have confidence in anybody, to me in all honesty I think he should be the kilkenny captain this year instead of the situation we have.

• Advertisement

Are you ok in the head or just trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

While I agree with you that the keeper is an easy target and Murphy is a phenomenal keeper, the highlighted bit above to me is the key. If the players are just standing their waiting for it, the keeper has little option but to lump it down on the forwards or a short one to an uncovered corner back. However where I would question Murphy is why hasn't he taken the bull by the horns and instructed the half forwards to make runs for him to either create space or to double up on where the puck out will land. This is what Cork are doing and it works perfectly, now I'm sure their management are involved in this highly effective tactic but we all know Cody doesn't do that kind of stuff but doesn't mind if the players figure it out themselves.

There was a great interview on Newstalk I think, with David Herity and Michael Rice. Herity was asked "if Cody doesn't do tactics, what would he call the puckout strategy on the day?" (i think they were talking about the '12 AI replay) Herity replied that it didn't come from Cody that a few of the lads were leaving training one evening with Herity and they and quick chat about it and then they just did it for the replay, worked a treat. As Herity said Codys opinion on short puckouts was were no problem, as long as they were a 120 yards short.

I remember a few years ago the sunday game highlighted Murphy bout to take a puck out pointing to larking at lhf,Ger alyward sprinted from right corner forward into space and pointed it because all the defenders were drawn to larkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Have a read of his other 100 odd posts and this will become very clear :D and also either one or both of Paul Murphy and a member of the Cody clan beat the crap out of him or are shagging Mrs. Village87 :D

Well I'm sure he said something to Cody and he is still there so I expect he will play a prominent role Saturday, Jonjo is not a pup on the panel anymore he has nothing to lose about venting his frustrations at management.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Farrell is not a senior intercounty hurler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Farrell is not a senior intercounty hurler.

Even though hes on the panel since 2014 ?? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well I'm sure he said something to Cody and he is still there so I expect he will play a prominent role Saturday, Jonjo is not a pup on the panel anymore he has nothing to lose about venting his frustrations at management.

Jonjo can vent his frustrations all he want but that won't make a blind bit of difference to Cody. If he isn't hurling up to the standard he won't get a game simple as. If he is shooting the lights out he will play, it's not rocket science and I would think anyone that knows anything about the Kilkenny set up and or Brian Cody would tell you venting your frustrations too Brian will only achieve the opposite to what you want. I'd be very doubtful Jonjo will be taking your advice on this matter anytime soon.

Well I'm sure he said something to Cody
    Why are you sure of that?

The last lad who said something to Cody about not being on the team was probably Charlie Carter.

And Jonjo is no Charlie Carter.

Would it be possible to find out here if season tickets are been scanned at the turnstile Saturday night or do they have to be printed, somebody called me they thought I had one there computer is after going down.

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to find out here if season tickets are been scanned at the turnstile Saturday night or do they have to be printed, somebody called me they thought I had one there computer is after going down.

This is from the Kilkenny GAA website:
    Season Ticket Holders will be contacted directly by Croke Park this week regarding arrangements for this fixture. Season Ticket Cards can be used to access the Ground via Stiles 14 to 17 on Hebron Road.

So it sounds like you don't have to print anything.
    I don't have a Season Ticket, so please don't take my word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Season tickets are scanned on Saturday evening.
    Anyone know when team is to be named?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

blackcard wrote: »

I'd imagine it could be the same craic as the Wexford game.

I'd imagine it could be the same craic as the Wexford game.
    I hope not: better to name a team and put some faith in them, rather than dicking about and holding out for particular names to fall into place, sending out the message that the management have no faith in the lads at their disposal (IMHO). You can always switch lads in at the last minute if they come good, and I don't think it's worth doing the other messing so as to include someone different at no.26 or whatever.

How do people think the minors will do on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

How do people think the minors will do on sunday.
    Adrian Mullen a doubt for the match. Dublin u17's beat kk well recently, I think a few of them are on the minor team. Don't know a lot about Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

No team announced yet, when is it being announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CodysShadow

Team was picked last night.

Panel sworn to secrecy, only the starting fifteen revealed and not the 26.

Team was picked last night.

Panel sworn to secrecy, only the starting fifteen revealed and not the 26.

About 8:45 tomorrow evening this forum will be fairly busy. The best of luck to the lads no matter who is picked. If they are picked they will hopefully be there on merit. Roll on Saturday evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

blackcard wrote: »

I hope they name it as soon as possible. I hate all theses 'mind games' lark of waiting just before the game to name the team - not the KK way.

Just name the team, without the messing, and get on with it. We were always confident in our starting 15 but the naming of the team late V Wexford was a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I hope not: better to name a team and put some faith in them, rather than dicking about and holding out for particular names to fall into place, sending out the message that the management have no faith in the lads at their disposal (IMHO). You can always switch lads in at the last minute if they come good, and I don't think it's worth doing the other messing so as to include someone different at no.26 or whatever.

See above. Apologies, hadn't read this post at that time but totally agree.

• Advertisement

About 8:45 tomorrow evening this forum will be fairly busy. The best of luck to the lads no matter who is picked. If they are picked they will hopefully be there on merit. Roll on Saturday evening

Agreed best of luck to all our teams over the coming days.
    Limerick team named I wouldn't be that familiar with some of their players.Will hickey man mark tj like in the 14 semi final?
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=272334

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

brookville wrote: »
    Agreed best of luck to all our teams over the coming days.
    Limerick team named I wouldn't be that familiar with some of their players.Will hickey man mark tj like in the 14 semi final?
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=272334

Hopefully you will be after match Saturday night big news is Byrnes is out which is akin to Kk missing tj Reid rest of team along the lines we expected. Had been hopeful but Byrnes being out has really knocked the hope I had,still we have a chance and if we turn up which we haven't since 14 we're capable of beating most I'd say

Colin Fennelly should take Mccarthy to the cleaners.. Very confident of Kilkenny beating that Limerick team, should be stronger physically and mentally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

Is the minor match televised Sunday,can't see a thing on KKGAA or GAA.ie?

Comerman wrote: »
    Is the minor match televised Sunday,can't see a thing on KKGAA or GAA.ie?

Minor provincial finals are not usually televised live

Minor provincial finals are not usually televised live

Pity the Tipp v Cork Minor wasn't televised last night, sounded like a classic. Not so sure about moving the minor grade down a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Colin Fennelly should take Mccarthy to the cleaners.. Very confident of Kilkenny beating that Limerick team, should be stronger physically and mentally

Let's hope he gets a fair crack of the whip from the ref this time. Total farce the last day down in Wexford park.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

What are all your predictions for the game?

I think a close game for the most with us winning by 4 points.

Depending on a few of our players playing to form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Pity the Tipp v Cork Minor wasn't televised last night, sounded like a classic. Not so sure about moving the minor grade down a year

TG4 haven't the rights to show the minor, I'd like to know the reasoning behind not letting them broadcast these games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

One of the most moronic decisions the GAA have ever come up with.

Wouldn't it have been much easier to just create a 4 week window from the last weekend in May to the third weekend in June where no Minor matches can take place.

Pushing it to a year younger will just end up causing so many young lads problems with over-training, and when you factor in the gym programmes pretty much every county is placing into their minor teams just to make them competitive, the damage that could be done to young lads could be serious.

If they were going to change the age of minor, it should have been the other way and left it at U19 with the ruling that a player eligible for minor couldn't play inter-county U21, Senior or for a Third level education side, and can only play adult for his own club. That way they're on less teams as they develop, less cross training between teams and are that bit older.

For what it's worth it heard joey will be corner back,lester and michael mf and chris bolger corner foward we'll know tonight if it true or not
    Murphy
    Murphy,walsh,joey
    fogarty,joyce,buckley
    Lester,michael
    Walter,richie,tj
    Ger,colin,buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

For what it's worth it heard joey will be corner back,lester and michael mf and chris bolger corner foward we'll know tonight if it true or not
    Murphy
    Murphy,walsh,joey
    fogarty,joyce,buckley
    Lester,michael
    Walter,richie,tj
    Ger,colin,buckley

I would be happy with that. Let's hope all are 100% fit to play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Murphy
    Murphy,walsh,joey
    fogarty,joyce,buckley
    Lester,michael
    Walter,richie,tj
    Ger,colin,buckley

Strong team

Jackie's latest article for the IT. He discusses expresses his love for the Wexford sweeper system :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jackie-tyrrell-davy-fitzgerald-using-the-sweeper-as-a-positive-tactic-1.3137998

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

I would be happy with that. Let's hope all are 100% fit to play too.

This is the key for me, I would prefer to see one of the u21s, kevin kelly, jonjo start as opposed to a half fit more established player. Hopefully all are fit, the other thing is I am hoping that not all O Shea , Joyce and Lennon start, that is three slow cumbersome backs and that is one or two too many, might get away with two of them but not all 3 together in one back line.

If Joey does start I will really be willing him on, haven't always been his biggest fan but I think management let him down last September and he has been scapegoated ever since. So best of luck to him if he starts and I hope it goes well for him.

Glad the team is being named tonight and hopefully we name the team that is starting and go in confident and aggressive. Should be a right good atmosphere and we can be a hostile enough bunch in the park so expecting a lively atmosphere if the players can produce a performance. A solid test for 55 minutes and us winning by a few scores after a stern test would be the ideal result and hopefully have us fine tuned for another day out but this is a big challenge that the players need to be mentally right for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Murphy
    Murphy,walsh,joey
    fogarty,joyce,buckley
    Lester,michael
    Walter,richie,tj
    Ger,colin,buckley

Buckley wing back and corner forward???

1984baby wrote: »
    Buckley wing back and corner forward???

Bolger apologies

This is the key for me, I would prefer to see one of the u21s, kevin kelly, jonjo start as opposed to a half fit more established player. Hopefully all are fit, the other thing is I am hoping that not all O Shea , Joyce and Lennon start, that is three slow cumbersome backs and that is one or two too many, might get away with two of them but not all 3 together in one back line.

If Joey does start I will really be willing him on, haven't always been his biggest fan but I think management let him down last September and he has been scapegoated ever since. So best of luck to him if he starts and I hope it goes well for him.

Glad the team is being named tonight and hopefully we name the team that is starting and go in confident and aggressive. Should be a right good atmosphere and we can be a hostile enough bunch in the park so expecting a lively atmosphere if the players can produce a performance. A solid test for 55 minutes and us winning by a few scores after a stern test would be the ideal result and hopefully have us fine tuned for another day out but this is a big challenge that the players need to be mentally right for.

Conor o'shea won't start his injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Murphy
    Murphy,walsh,joey
    fogarty,joyce,buckley
    Lester,michael
    Walter,richie,tj
    Ger,colin,bolger

I would be very happy with that if everyone is fit.

The bench could be strong with Richie Leahy, Billy Ryan, Kevin Kelly, Jason Cleere, Robert Lennon (I believe he could be a good center back), Lester Ryan, John Donnelly, Sean Morrissey, John Walsh (if he is back from injury) etc. I'm guessing most of them won't make the bench but they should. They are the next generation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement