Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Poor quality game ....limerick could have been 3/4points up at half time if theyd got half there wides ...still some improved performances Paul Murphy back to his self , Padraig played well and Mich Fennelly huge bonus ....Ger Aylward desperate showing ...and you have to worry is Ritchie Hogan just pushing his body to much ...he said in paper yesterday he has 3 bulging discs ...thats some serious injury to be carrying onto hurling field....hope to avoid waterford in draw i still think they have loads to show yet ....tipp on tonights showing are not good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Poor performance but we won.forwards cant be as bad again.joe lyng struggled badly with their 13 and would fear for him against fast forwards.bolger again missed his chance to make a name for himself.bucley padraig and paul murphy outstanding tonite.were still there and if we can get on roll you never know.anyone know why richie leahy wasnt on the bench.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

A win's a win. That's what we wanted but loads to work on and only a week to do it.

I thought the idea of playing Colin on Richie was a good idea but the ball into him was brutal: high and hanging - a defender's dream. You could see by him how frustrated he was at the ball going in. He needs ball in in front of him so he can turn and out pace the full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

Would echo the comments here regarding the ball delivered to the forwards, really poor quality, reminds of the Gaelic footballer(could be Marty Clarke from Down ?) talking about his time in Aussie rules, they looked at Gaelic football and couldn't understand how a player in possession (100%) would kick a ball to two players and turn it into a 50/50,:at the moment we are doing this but often it isn't 50/50, it is 25/75 or so against. Forwards out numbered and compounded by the quality of ball.

At the moment Kilkenny look like a former prizefighter, now punch-drunk, getting dragged into wars against opponents they would previously have dismissed comfortably.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Poor performance but we won.forwards cant be as bad again.joe lyng struggled badly with their 13 and would fear for him against fast forwards.bolger again missed his chance to make a name for himself.bucley padraig and paul murphy outstanding tonite.were still there and if we can get on roll you never know.anyone know why richie leahy wasnt on the bench.?

I personally thought Joe Lyng was excellent in the second half today. Had one bad mistake which went unpunished but he made two crucial catches within minutes of each other around the hour mark. Think it's very harsh to single him out for criticism.

How poor was Shane Dowling from a dead ball, though? Limerick will go home tonight thinking we were there for the taking and they wouldn't be wrong in that assessment.

TJ outstanding in th first half, P. Walsh brilliant in the second as was P. Murphy, but Buckley was my man of the match. Such a good hurler.

That didn't look like an All-Ireland winning side though, and there was a few glimpses of the Wexford game that showed in the back-line in the first quarter in particular. If we start that slow against Tipp or Waterford we're in big, big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Lester Ryan showed once again what a great attitude he has this evening when he came on, may not be the best hurler ever but he is a credit to his club and his county with the spirt he shows when he is called upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Colin got loads of ball in, he just couldn't win anything at all in my opinion. He got long ball deliverd in and some more precise passes from his brother. He wasn't able to win anything.

I too would prefer to see him further out the field considering he is probably our fastest player. Great running at players and a nightmare for defenders who have possession.

I counted ONCE in the whole match when he actually had the ball in his hand. Someone please tell me that I am completely wrong.

Yea, I should have clarified, this is what I ment, didn't win any ball. Loads of opportunities dropped in on the full forward line but not converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

But the ball going in is terrible lads. Terrible. Every ball is a backs ball. There's never a ball dropped 10 yards in front of the full forward line to bounce up into a lads hand. It's always in the sky, hanging for a back to flake it. Everyone keeps saying Bucks was excellent and he was as a back but his delivery is atrocious. We still think we have Henry, Gorta, Larks and Eddie up front who could win any ball but we don't. We have to give them better ball to let them do damage. And as I said last night the forwards aren't blameless because the don't move early enough. One of Mick Fennellys clearances out of a crowded area yesterday went straight down the middle to Richie McCarthy in about 40 yards of space but Blanchfield and Bolger were standing completely still as a 2 man forward line. No anticipation that a ball might come in.

I echo Topcat on Lester by the way. Lots of people reckon he isn't good enough but by Jesus he gives everything every game and and always knocks over a couple of points. Considering he gets dropped every time Kilkenny reshuffle the pack, unfairly in my opinion, he deserves huge credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Colin cant be left of the hook by blaming the quality of ball.he is over 6ft big strong fella well able to win high ball just look at the trouble he caused in wexford .but his touch is that of a junior hurler his pace saves him on many occasions where he miss controls balls and gets a second go at it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

But the ball going in is terrible lads. Terrible. Every ball is a backs ball. There's never a ball dropped 10 yards in front of the full forward line to bounce up into a lads hand. It's always in the sky, hanging for a back to flake it. Everyone keeps saying Bucks was excellent and he was as a back but his delivery is atrocious. We still think we have Henry, Gorta, Larks and Eddie up front who could win any ball but we don't. We have to give them better ball to let them do damage. And as I said last night the forwards aren't blameless because the don't move early enough. One of Mick Fennellys clearances out of a crowded area yesterday went straight down the middle to Richie McCarthy in about 40 yards of space but Blanchfield and Bolger were standing completely still as a 2 man forward line. No anticipation that a ball might come in.

I echo Topcat on Lester by the way. Lots of people reckon he isn't good enough but by Jesus he gives everything every game and and always knocks over a couple of points. Considering he gets dropped every time Kilkenny reshuffle the pack, unfairly in my opinion, he deserves huge credit.

Have to agree 100% with this post. I know we scored 20 points and had a gilt edged chance with bolger but if we don't start pinging better ball into the full forward line we are at nothing. None of the backs or midfielders are blameless here. Why was colin fennelly such a threat v wexford? Why can we not land a ball 10 yards in front of him so that he can win it, turn his man and either go himself or feed to an incoming forward. It beggars belief. We need to do this next weekend. Our backs were solid and m fennelly added steel to them.
    If you had a bad heart, looking at joey is not going to help you.
    Lyng had a good second half after a poor first half.
    Low delivery to the forwards is key.
    Fair play to lester and kevin kelly. They were very good and contributed crucial scores.
    After a slow start walter hurled very well. Deegan was also impressive.
    Lester, kelly and hopefully leahy will all play a part next weekend.
    Bolger and aylward were largely ineffective albeit with poor enough service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

the forwards aren't blameless because the don't move early enough.
    Noticed that a lot for the puck outs yesterday, no movement from the forwards at all and Murphy trying for points from our own half back line wasted chances to do something better in my opinion.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Lester Ryan showed once again what a great attitude he has this evening when he came on, may not be the best hurler ever but he is a credit to his club and his county with the spirt he shows when he is called upon.

True, two major contributions - a super hook when a goal was on and a good point. Problem, for Lester, is he's too versatile - midfield, half back or half forward.

He could start the next day. Attitude is everything. Look at Mick Fennelly, back from a bad injury and with very little training done, he was excellent. Got on loads of ball and there was end product. Again, attitude is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Terrible game last night. If we played Dub/Tipp/Wford we would have lost.
    Eoin - few bad puckouts
    Murphy - best game all year, hopefully he keeps it up
    Padraig - quiet enough game, needs to be on the wing
    Joey - average but still a better option the C O'Shea
    Fogarty - not good, needs to play midfield - I've never seen him play well at wing back
    Buckley - plays better on the wing, some of his passing is frustrating, needs to be more clinical
    Lyng - did ok
    M Fen - Great 2nd half, still not fully fit
    Paddy Deegan - great game, 3 good points. Can't believe Cody took him off
    Bolger - bad game, left on far too long. He'd be better off coming off the bench when the opposition defenders are tired
    Wally - poor until he hit his 1st point then had a great game
    TJ - quiet by his usual high standards
    Richie - terrible but he is no where near fit enough, should not be playing in his current physical state
    Colin - terrible, but I've never seen him put 2 good performances in a row
    Ger - not good, march sharpness not back yet
    Lester - good, needs to start
    K Kelly - Good, also needs to start
    Liam Blanch - terrible, how is he still getting game time
    Mark Bergin - not good enough to be on the panel

My Team for the next day:
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce Joey
    P Walsh M Fen Buckley
    Fogarty Deegan
    Lester TJ K Kelly
    Wally C Fen Aylward

I would have Richie in there but he is not fit enough. He needs a rest, maybe throw in him for the last 20 mins. He'll end up doing himself serious damage. Have the forwards move into different positions throughout the game.

True, two major contributions - a super hook when a goal was on and a good point. Problem, for Lester, is he's too versatile - midfield, half back or half forward.

He could start the next day. Attitude is everything. Look at Mick Fennelly, back from a bad injury and with very little training done, he was excellent. Got on loads of ball and there was end product. Again, attitude is everything.

Mick fennelly is a savage boost for us. Some of his delivery was poor into the forwards but that will improve by next week. Even though we didn't set the world alight we now have some stability from 1 - 9.
    For 15 mins yesterday we couldn't win a ball in our own half forward line.
    I agree re the forwards movement and it's not easy to drill a low ball to our full forward line If they have a spare man operating between 3 and 6 but a low diagonal ball needs to be the option then. At least vary the delivery.

Next week.

1-9 the same.
    Joey possiblylucky to start next day. I would possibly go with cleere or joyce at 7.

Lester
    Walter
    Leahy
    Hogan - he will deliver albeit poor yesterday
    Fennelly
    Kelly

Aylward and Bolger could influence things being brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Mick fennelly is a savage boost for us. Some of his delivery was poor into the forwards but that will improve by next week. Even though we didn't set the world alight we now have some stability from 1 - 9.
    For 15 mins yesterday we couldn't win a ball in our own half forward line.
    I agree re the forwards movement and it's not easy to drill a low ball to our full forward line If they have a spare man operating between 3 and 6 but a low diagonal ball needs to be the option then. At least vary the delivery.

Next week.

1-9 the same.
    Joey possiblylucky to start next day. I would possibly go with cleere or joyce at 7.

Lester
    Walter
    Leahy
    Hogan - he will deliver albeit poor yesterday
    Fennelly
    Kelly

Aylward and Bolger could influence things being brought in.

TJ????

• Advertisement

1984baby wrote: »
    TJ????

Sorry. Will start probably instead of leahy as lester and kelly did enough yesterday for inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

1984baby wrote: »
    Terrible game last night. If we played Dub/Tipp/Wford we would have lost.
    Eoin - few bad puckouts
    Murphy - best game all year, hopefully he keeps it up
    Padraig - quiet enough game, needs to be on the wing
    Joey - average but still a better option the C O'Shea
    Fogarty - not good, needs to play midfield - I've never seen him play well at wing back
    Buckley - plays better on the wing, some of his passing is frustrating, needs to be more clinical
    Lyng - did ok
    M Fen - Great 2nd half, still not fully fit
    Paddy Deegan - great game, 3 good points. Can't believe Cody took him off
    Bolger - bad game, left on far too long. He'd be better off coming off the bench when the opposition defenders are tired
    Wally - poor until he hit his 1st point then had a great game
    TJ - quiet by his usual high standards
    Richie - terrible but he is no where near fit enough, should not be playing in his current physical state
    Colin - terrible, but I've never seen him put 2 good performances in a row
    Ger - not good, march sharpness not back yet
    Lester - good, needs to start
    K Kelly - Good, also needs to start
    Liam Blanch - terrible, how is he still getting game time
    Mark Bergin - not good enough to be on the panel

My Team for the next day:
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce Joey
    P Walsh M Fen Buckley
    Fogarty Deegan
    Lester TJ K Kelly
    Wally C Fen Aylward

I would have Richie in there but he is not fit enough. He needs a rest, maybe throw in him for the last 20 mins. He'll end up doing himself serious damage. Have the forwards move into different positions throughout the game.

I thought padraig was very good.Joe lyng was poor in the 1st half but had a good 2nd half.
    Great to see the subs making a difference kelly has scores in him.Unfortunately the full forward line never clicked but some of the balls colin got in the 1st half were desperate.
    Overall it's good to get the win I don't think tipp were that convincing either so hopefully we'll improve

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Thought Padraig had a good game and will remain there for the foreseeable I would imagine.

Buckley commanded the middle very well and he has played well at centre back so I would leave him there.

Joe lung played well maybe more of a half back but he will start the next day.

Michael Fennelly was played well considering he breaks the play up and wins so many rucks hope he recovers well because we badly need him and the game will bring him on a tonne.

Delivery of the ball will need to improve massively. Feels like we need to draw Dublin before getting a big gun though, feels alike a few returned to form but one or two need another match to get a bit of form back.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Great heart and workrate but some terrible quality in our play.
    Agree 100% with poster above about quality of ball into the forwards, it gives the advantage to the backs every time. Some very average defenders look like superstars against us.
    But the movement from the forward line can be very poor too. Particularly with our own puckouts. And what drives me mad is how many times the ball is skyed into the forwards and 2 or 3 lads all leap for it together.
    We just look really poorly coached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

I left the Park feeling as if we lost. Desperate performances from some on the team.

Not quite sure what I was feeling, a mixture of joy, relief and extreme worry.

We're not going to win the AI, I'm pretty sure of that. But the way we're playing the game is a far bigger worry.

Cody has a lot to answer for this year, particularly when we come up against a sweeper which Limerick employed.

Once again, Cody's tactics against the sweeper were absolutely useless. Once again we persisted with a two man FF line against a sweeper with the rest of the forwards funnelling back which effectively meant a huge amount of possession was squandered as there was no-one there to even challenge for it.

And despite the fact we often only have 2/3 players within 50 yards of the opposition goal (which severely limits our goal scoring), the gameplan to get the ball forward is just as brainless, namely lump it. We don't have any type of puck out strategy beyond lump it, there was hardly a low ball played last night apart from Michael Fennelly who was off with a few of them. We simply don't play forward ball to suit the forward when our tactics have them under limited support anyway.

As for the team setup, what's wrong with having a HB line with P Walsh, Cleere and Buckley with Joyce at CB? A much more natural setup to last nights, plus it would move Fogarty to his best position at midfield. It's like Cody is having a meltdown over the AI last year an is trying to force square pegs into round holes, taking men out of their best positions and ripping up the side that were on te brink of a 3 in a row, instead of building a side around men in their best positions.

And starting Richie Hogan? The man was not fit, simple as that. Has he learnt nothing on that front?

We're not the force we were, but most of this panel has been good enough to win Leinster and AI titles. There's nothing overly special out there to stop us at our best either as every other side has big question marks over it too.

Our biggest problem is we're not hurling at all, we're braindead on the ball, there's no invention up front and Cody is so scared of coughing up scores like the AI we're effectively playing most games with 4 up front, and thus ceding the advantage to the opposition.

Last nights match was a perfect example. We gave up so much possession that Limerick were able to have time to pick the runners. Were it not for some shocking shooting from them in the first half we could easily have been 4/5/6 down at half time, which would not have flattered Limerick. And when we had possession, it was lumped ball into Colin Fennelly and Bolger who were cleaned out by 2 defenders each time. And our scores mainly came from being a nuisance and breaking ball, and snapping up the loose ball afterwards. That's not a viable tactic against better sides.

My side for the next day
    E Murphy
    P Murphy / Joyce / J Lyng
    P Walsh / Cleere / Buckley
    Fogarty / M Fennelly
    C Fennelly / Reid / W Walsh
    K Kelly / G Aylward / C Bolger

More natural looking defence I feel, size and mobility in the HF line and speed up front. Would be insisting the FF line not venture more than 30 yards from goal unless using their pace to make a run for space or the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Lads cant see how alot of posters would keep joe lyng.he has no pace and the 13 ran him ragged.pender is still the best option for me in there until someone else proves different.also joyce should start for me and lester deserves to start.
    E.murphy
    P.murphy
    K joyce
    Pender
    Padraig
    Buckley
    Cleere
    Mick
    Fogarty
    Lester
    Tj
    Wally
    Richie
    Colin
    Ger

Kilkenny winning 3-14 to 14pts in Leinster Minor Final. 6 mins left.

Good win for Kk. 3-15 to 1-17.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

57th Leinster minor title for kk, Adrian Mullen and Sean Ryan getting 3-6 from play. Conor Flynn and Jordan Molloy good also. Would be worried that apart from Mullen and Ryan, only four other points were scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

E Murphy- would someone please tie him to the goal, what is he doing coming out to take the frees.
    P Murphy - played much better, starting to get some form back.
    P Walsh - played alright but is struggling with how to play in this role.
    J Lyng - very poor in the first half, but came into it in the second. And has some bite in him.
    C Fogarty - outclassed and his current form is poor. Needs to go back to midfield.
    Buckley - played well and kept us in it.
    Holden - starting to get some form back. Played ok, especially in the second half.
    Fennelly - played very well considering how much game time he's had.
    Deegan - grand when the ball is in his hand, but will not mark up, doesn't track his man and can't read the game. Lester is a far better option.
    Bolger - stood behind his man all day, look g for the soft ball. Missed a goal. He's getting his chances regarding getting his place, but not taking them.
    Wally - too quite and no leadership.
    TJ - Pkayed ok, more do in the second half, but takes a lot of punishment off the ball.
    Hogan - as said before he's not playing well and living off his name from years ago. If he's injured don't play.
    C Fennelly - average. The bad delivery of ball to him cannot be used to explain his poor performance.
    Aylward - Verg Poor. Cody loses patience with him very easily and then takes him off. However Cody treats him different than some other of the forwards.

Blanchfield - needs to be benched until he gets upto senior std.

The backs are under more treasure than they should be as the modfield and forwards are out of it and the ball keeps coming back too easily.
    There is no interlink play between our forwards. No player on the shoulder, no diagonal so low balls with the other forwards outside of the recipient moving to create and opening or overlap. This is a problem for the backs too, as they are not training against players who play that way and it's showing in games when they do.

Some green shoots last night though. P Murphy, Holden, M Fennelly, Joe Lyng.

I think it's time we went with the following team.
    E Murphy
    J Holden
    J Lyng
    P Walsh
    K Joyce
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Lester
    Wally
    M Fennelly
    TJ
    Aylward
    C Fennelly
    Hogan

That's our best side and we need M Fennelly centre forward vs Waterford or Tipp.

Can anyone shed some light on the pricing for yesterday's game? Myself the better half and young lad (16) went. I previously purchased 3 tickets in super value @e15 each (there were no student tickets available) and on the kk gaa website it said "Students and Pensioners should purchase full price tickets and obtain refunds at the designated stiles" my son went through the designated stile and the contrary git refused to give him the refund saying he should of purchased a e5 ticket, he eventually gave him a fiver back. Nothing seems to be simple with the gaa.

Comerman wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on the pricing for yesterday's game? Myself the better half and young lad (16) went. I previously purchased 3 tickets in super value @e15 each (there were no student tickets available) and on the kk gaa website it said "Students and Pensioners should purchase full price tickets and obtain refunds at the designated stiles" my son went through the designated stile and the contrary git refused to give him the refund saying he should of purchased a e5 ticket, he eventually gave him a fiver back. Nothing seems to be simple with the gaa.

I think you have to go to the designated turnstill for a refund but at times the lads there think that it's their own money they're out!!

He went to the designated turn stile alright but yer man would only give him a fiver back. I can't understand why the e5 ticket couldn't be purchased before hand in the first place, simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think you have to go to the designated turnstill for a refund but at times the lads there think that it's their own money they're out!!

The GAA have some of the worst and stubborn Steward's of any organisation. There's owl lads stewarting that who don't give a **** and are only there too watch the game free and get the free grub after

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Comerman wrote: »
    He went to the designated turn stile alright but yer man would only give him a fiver back. I can't understand why the e5 ticket couldn't be purchased before hand in the first place, simples

They could be purchased beforehand. There was a designated €5 ticket for kids, got one myself in Supervalu for the young fella.

• Advertisement

I was told in loughboy they were all e15 (no Juvenile tickets issued)

If you want to create clear cut goal or point scoring chances have a look at the balls being delivered to the galway half forward and full forward line. There are two sides to this.
    The forward must come into space looking for the pass. It's then up to the man delivering the pass to give it low and hard or else out into the space in front of the forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »
    57th Leinster minor title for kk, Adrian Mullen and Sean Ryan getting 3-6 from play. Conor Flynn and Jordan Molloy good also. Would be worried that apart from Mullen and Ryan, only four other points were scored.

Well done to all involved mullen looks a serious prospect there hasn't being as much talk since tj or richie
    Congrats to our footballers yesterday they deserve a mention.
    Best of luck to the 21s wednesday night hopefully leahy and Walsh have recovered from injury and in expect a change at corner back I'd like to see darren mullen starting.Conor doheny could be under pressure.I hope there's a big performance in blanchfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Dionysis wrote: »
    E Murphy- would someone please tie him to the goal, what is he doing coming out to take the frees.
    I've no problem with him taking frees. I've a problem with him trying to score from 100 yds out. They're like sideline cuts, great when they go over. Awful when they go wide. Nothing a defence hates more than a high and long ball dropping in around the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2019

The downside of our current inter county status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

brookville wrote: »
    Well done to all involved mullen looks a serious prospect there hasn't being as much talk since tj or richie
    Best of luck to the 21s wednesday night hopefully leahy and Walsh have recovered from injury and in expect a change at corner back I'd like to see darren mullen starting.Conor doheny could be under pressure.I hope there's a big performance in blanchfield

Doheny is injured and won't be available

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Dionysis wrote: »
    P Murphy - played much better, starting to get some form back.
    P Walsh - played alright but is struggling with how to play in this role.
    J Lyng - very poor in the first half, but came into it in the second. And has some bite in him.
    C Fogarty - outclassed and his current form is poor. Needs to go back to midfield.
    Buckley - played well and kept us in it.
    Holden - starting to get some form back. Played ok, especially in the second half.
    Fennelly - played very well considering how much game time he's had.
    Deegan - grand when the ball is in his hand, but will not mark up, doesn't track his man and can't read the game. Lester is a far better option.
    Bolger - stood behind his man all day, look g for the soft ball. Missed a goal. He's getting his chances regarding getting his place, but not taking them.
    Wally - too quite and no leadership.
    TJ - Pkayed ok, more do in the second half, but takes a lot of punishment off the ball.
    Hogan - as said before he's not playing well and living off his name from years ago. If he's injured don't play.
    C Fennelly - average. The bad delivery of ball to him cannot be used to explain his poor performance.
    Aylward - Verg Poor. Cody loses patience with him very easily and then takes him off. However Cody treats him different than some other of the forwards.

Blanchfield - needs to be benched until he gets upto senior std.

The backs are under more treasure than they should be as the modfield and forwards are out of it and the ball keeps coming back too easily.
    There is no interlink play between our forwards. No player on the shoulder, no diagonal so low balls with the other forwards outside of the recipient moving to create and opening or overlap. This is a problem for the backs too, as they are not training against players who play that way and it's showing in games when they do.

Some green shoots last night though. P Murphy, Holden, M Fennelly, Joe Lyng.

I think it's time we went with the following team.
    E Murphy
    J Holden
    J Lyng
    P Walsh
    K Joyce
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Lester
    Wally
    M Fennelly
    TJ
    Aylward
    C Fennelly
    Hogan

That's our best side and we need M Fennelly centre forward vs Waterford or Tipp.

on the same page as you there bar the Joey comment. Im petrifed when he goes to the ball as the first touch isnt there and the second is scary. Thought it was a green helmet disease but murphy showed strong yesterday.
    i would unite fogarty and fennelly in mid as not working at half back and would be happy to see lester in the 15 too as he puts his body on the line

definitely extra coaching required in the forwards as they play on their heels and then all go for the same ball. Colin cant be as poor again but would rather see him coming from the corner. Bolger seems to panic in front of goal. Kelly needs to start. Was it just me or did Blanchfield lose a few pounds in 3 weeks as i saw some extra pace that with better positioning could have been useful
    Unfortunately I think Richie has to start on the bench or play alongside Mick Fenn.

think we need a dublin and clare next two rounds if we are going to have any chance to make the semis where we would then get galway !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Can't understand lads saying Wally and P Walsh were only OK.
    Wally got the whole thing going from about 15 to 30 min mark and did a lot in the second half. Was sitting in front of P walsh in second half and he eat the full forward alive. Every single ball he got ahead of his man and one touch in the hand and gone. You need strength and rawness to be fullback but don't under estimate the value of great hands. Sprinting across the 21 full speed and he barely has to bend his back to flick the ball to hand and it's cleared 60 yards in the blink of an eye. I have good time for Joey H but his hurling really is a limiting factor, he's dropping balls or slowing down to a walking speed to pick the ball. P Walsh is up and gone. A long way to go for him, but he reminds of JJ in his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    blackcard wrote: »

What is it about red headed lads from Ballyhale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Next round qualifiers:

Dublin v Tipp
    Waterford v Kilkenny

Bring on the blaas.

Forward lines will need to step up about 4 gears from Saturday. Constantly moving into positions to receive the right deliveries. It's then up to our backs and midfield pairing to get the right ball in to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Will it be a double header in Semple? It's possibly the toughest draw but time to step up now. As others said, Lester and Kevin Kelly need to start the next day. Full forward line needs a huge improvement from Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Will it be a double header in Semple? It's possibly the toughest draw but time to step up now. As others said, Lester and Kevin Kelly need to start the next day. Full forward line needs a huge improvement from Saturday.

Yeah, looking like double header in Thurles. That would be great, hopefully get two good games there. Kelly definitely should start the next day, made huge difference when he came on. Lester/Deegan is a 50/50 call I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

Will the match be played Saturday pm or sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

JimTreacy wrote: »
    Will the match be played Saturday pm or sunday.

Saturday at 7 cause Sky have 1st pick and they're surely going to pick that game; that's when their slot is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

No way should Dublin agree to play Tipp in Thurles.
    Be very surprised if Cunningham does.
    Tipp refused point blank to concede home advantage to Westmeath on Saturday.
    So much for promoting the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

washman3 wrote: »

Should be in Portlaoise or Kilkenny? I agree, they shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

washman3 wrote: »

I don't understand your argument. If you are genuinely concerned with promoting the game then surely a double-header is the way to go rather than having Dublin-Tipp tucked away in Portlaoise or somewhere?

If your argument is more about conceding perceived venue advantage from the point of view of maximising Dublin's chances that's fair enough, but you don't say so and your argument is couched in 'promoting the game' terms and that moves the goalposts significantly. The whole business would have a far higher profile if a double-header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I don't understand your argument. If you are genuinely concerned with promoting the game then surely a double-header is the way to go rather than having Dublin-Tipp tucked away in Portlaoise or somewhere?

If your argument is more about conceding perceived venue advantage from the point of view of maximising Dublin's chances that's fair enough, but you don't say so and your argument is couched in 'promoting the game' terms and that moves the goalposts significantly. The whole business would have a far higher profile if a double-header.

And why would a double header promote the game vs 2 separate ones? Of course tipp shouldn't be handed home advantage- this is knock out, do or die so every team needs to use every advantage at their disposal, including venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Powerhouse wrote: »

I read it as he meant that the Tipp match should have been in Westmeath ?
    Therefore promoting the game in Westmeath ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement