Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

He played well in the air against a 5 foot 4 corner forward in his first senior championship game and now you want to have him man mark the HOTY and one of the best fielders of a ball in the game? Why would you not leave our most athletic player on him in Bucks?

This Donnelly fascination is absolutely bizarre. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant inclusion. Nothing. Plus considering he's playing an U21 Leinster Final on Wednesday he won't start on Saturday.

Someone will play well in the U21 on Wednesday and you'll be in here saying they should start instead of TJ next.

Don't be silly or ignorant in getting your point across, blanchfield has won one or two balls in two seasons playing yet there's not a puff from you on it. But to suggest someone different is a joke. Yet I seem to remember Cody giving young lads their start in all-Ireland finals.... he's bizarre too obviously. And according to the rest on here Billy Ryan is the whizz on the U21 team but I haven't mentioned him, I still think that Donnelly is what we need, end of.
    Buckley and Walsh need to play on the wing as that is where we'll be tested with most of waterfords pace and the overlapping man, this Saturday night.

Seen as your picking holes in everyone else's team, name your team for Saturday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why are you bringing up Blanchfield as if I'm banging the drum that he should start.

My team is irrelevant as it won't be picked but I'd go with
    Murphy
    Murphy
    Joyce
    Lyng (did enough in the 2nd half to keep his spot in the corner)
    PW
    Bucks
    Joey
    Fogarty
    Fennelly
    Lester
    TJ
    Wally
    Richie
    Colin
    Kelly

But since we're incapable of playing decent ball to the forwards I'd leave the 3 inside and put the onus on Lester and Wally to do the donkey work. Let a fresh Deegan on for Lester then when he tires.
    Don't particularly like that team, especially the left side of defence where either Brick or Moran would probably do a number on Joey so could swap Fogarty back there and Deegan into midfield or Lester in there and start Aylward with Kelly on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

Its a pity John power opted out to me I think he would bring something to a game . As regards John Donnelly he is a strong lad you wouldn't know what could happen it depends how they go Wed the under 21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't think we'll move padraig from 3 now I thought he was very good the other night.
    Lyng is good in the air but not great on the ground.I'd have him before lennon/oshea.
    I'd put joyce back in the team I don't have much faith in joey he looks nervous but he grew into the game but waterford will be a different kettle of fish.
    I wonder will cody lump fennelly in at 11 like last year?
    I agree in dropping hogan the man isn't right and could be better coming on.
    Kevin Kelly could also be better coming on when the game opens up.
    When you think back to the other night our ff line only scored 1 point from play so we need huge improvement here I wouldn't give up on bolger yet I'd have him before blanchfield and ger can be much better we need to be much smarter with the deliveries but our backs done well against a limited enough limerick forward line.They drove some terrible wides.
    It was obvious we were nervous but it was important to get things back on track no point beating a weaker team by 10 points we know more bout some of our players and cody made 4 subs 2 scoring 2 points each he'll be under pressure to start lester an kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ger Aylward has had two awful performances, I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason why he should get a spot on the starting team against Waterford.

• Advertisement

Ger Aylward has had two awful performances, I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason why he should get a spot on the starting team against Waterford.

Infairness he was unlucky with them wides against wexford but agree he was poor the other night which is disappointing

brookville wrote: »
    Infairness he was unlucky with them wides against wexford but agree he was poor the other night which is disappointing

When the Waterford lads start the off the ball stuff like Wexford and limerick did, Ger will lose the head like he did against these two teams in the past, best to bring him on as a sub. No doubt they'll put Connors on him, which means way more off the ball stuff and Ger will have to be taken off before he gets himself sent off. Best to bring him on when the game opens up and have him with a point to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

brookville wrote: »
    He was very poor Saturday night when he messed up that ball they got a point out of it Cody waved his hand to the bench straight away ,it is disappointing but there was a big difference between the wexford full back line and the limerick we did not exploit that weakness in Wexford park like Galway did yesterday.

Why are you bringing up Blanchfield as if I'm banging the drum that he should start.

My team is irrelevant as it won't be picked but I'd go with
    Murphy
    Murphy
    Joyce
    Lyng (did enough in the 2nd half to keep his spot in the corner)
    PW
    Bucks
    Joey
    Fogarty
    Fennelly
    Lester
    TJ
    Wally
    Richie
    Colin
    Kelly

But since we're incapable of playing decent ball to the forwards I'd leave the 3 inside and put the onus on Lester and Wally to do the donkey work. Let a fresh Deegan on for Lester then when he tires.
    Don't particularly like that team, especially the left side of defence where either Brick or Moran would probably do a number on Joey so could swap Fogarty back there and Deegan into midfield or Lester in there and start Aylward with Kelly on the wing.

So you chastise my team, yet the difference between the teams is minimal, and after all you say, you put Lyng corner back. Well agree to differ, but I think your right in that Lyng is too slow, but fast enough for Centre back to be replaced only by Joyce in the second half.

Kk biggest problem in the backs is that we're not physical or dirty enough, we have angels in there, and no other team is playing like that against us, we're taking awful hammering off the ball. We need to man up in the back lines and get physical. Terrible to say, but were too soft back there. And by dirty I don't mean hurting players I mean doing the bossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree ger and richie have been poor but for me their class acts that will come good.I rate bolger highly but he seems nervous and snatched at chances.in both games he had 2 goal chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Putting Lyng at CB is a suggestion I'd agree with. I'd prefer to see him there than in the corner. He doesn't have the pace for the corner and got a bit of a chasing off Casey. He does though have a great paw and if he caught everything that came down to him that'd be enough for me. It would also free Buckley to the wing where he'd thrive without the responsibility of the centre.

I know Richie Hogan are good players but they are not performing to their abilities and badly need to be benched. This game is going to be very tiresome and come the second half I think bringing Richie and Ger on, would only improve us n the forwards, when others are starting to wilt.

If Waterford play the same side as against Cork, the matchups ( allowing for my team) would be as follows:

E Murphy
    P Muphy vs M Shanahan
    J Holden vs M Walsh
    S Prendergast vs S Bennett
    P Walsh vs S Bennett
    J Lyng vs P Mahoney
    C Buckley vs K Moran
    L Ryan vs C Gleason
    Fogarty vs J Barron
    Wally vs P Mahoney
    M Fennelly vs A Gleason
    TJ Reid vs De Burca
    K Kelly vs Noel Connors
    C Fennelly vs B Coughlan
    Donnelly vs S Fives

I'd rather keep Buckley on Moran and Holden on Brick... Brick is alright with ball in hand but struggles when it hits the floor, is not the fastest either. Paul Murphy is mobile enough for M Shanahan, and Fogarty has the mobility for Barron midfield. Fennelly should keep Gleason quiet. If Waterford bring a forward back you want to get best use of the spare man at the back, so to me it would have to be someone who reads the game well, and can use the spare ball as well as carry it forward, that's Buckley or P Walsh. I'd rather Buckley stay on Moran so it has to be P Walsh.
    In the forwards, I'd have K Kelly wander and switch with Donnelly a lot, get them moving out from the corner to the centre to the wing, bring Connors and Fives around the field. From time to time, have the corner forwards bunching around the Waterford spare man back there and therefore creating the space on either side and then split as we get possession. We need to assign markers for this man to man markers for this game, ala 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Dionysis wrote: »
    So you chastise my team, yet the difference between the teams is minimal, and after all you say, you put Lyng corner back. Well agree to differ, but I think your right in that Lyng is too slow, but fast enough for Centre back to be replaced only by Joyce in the second half.

Kk biggest problem in the backs is that we're not physical or dirty enough, we have angels in there, and no other team is playing like that against us, we're taking awful hammering off the ball. We need to man up in the back lines and get physical. Terrible to say, but were too soft back there. And by dirty I don't mean hurting players I mean doing the bossing.

Long time lurker here, only very occasional poster but I've seen Jj's left hand talk a lot of sense in the past.

I also agree with him on this occasion.

Now is not the time to lump Lung in at centre back on Austin Gleeson. Deserves to keep his place based on Saturday's game sure, came into it strongly after the break, but suddenly throw him into the most pivotal position at the back? And why usurp Buckley? He had a great game.

And springing Donnelly is a crazy suggestion really. What has he shown to merit it? He doesn't strike me as the fittest lad going so would he be able for 70 mins full blooded senior championship action and a Leinster U21 final within a couple of days of each other? I'm going to say no, and may have negative impact on both performances.

James owens is ref.I reckon this will be a bruising encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I would probably go with the team that started 1-9 against Limerick. We need a settled back line. only person I might leave out is Richie for Kevin. I don't think this game is a good time to blood young players. It's going to be a bruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Paddy1234

Does anyone know if it's open seating in Thurles like a few years ago or will the seat numbers be on the tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Qualifier Round 2 - Match Information

Posted about 8 hours ago

Following this morning's draw the GAA has just announced that the two games will be played in Semple Stadium on Saturday evening - Tipperary v Dublin at 5pm followed by Kilkenny v Waterford at 7pm. The game will be all ticket with designated seating.

As with the Round One game we will be initially accepting ticket orders from our clubs and will announce details of any public sales as soon as arrangements are in place. Tickets will also be available on line and at the usual Supermarket outlets from this Monday afternoon. Tickets will cost €25 for adults and €5 for under 16's. Refunds of €5 will be available at designated stiles for students and Pensioners.

Season Ticket holders will be accommodated in Ardan O Coinneain (Old Stand) and on this occasion they will need to print off tickets for the game. Croke Park will be emailing all Season Ticket holders this week.

Centra ArdnoreAddress: Nolan’s, Ardnore, Co. KilkennyCentra BennettsbridgeAddress: Cullens Centra, BennettsbridgeCentra JohnsgreenAddress:John's Green, Co KilkennyCentra KnocktopherAddress: Knocktopher, Co. KilkennyCentra MooncoinAddress: Main Street, Mooncoin, Co. KilkennyCentra MullinavatAddress: Mullinavat, Co.KilkennyCentra UrlingfordAddress: Deegan’s, Main Street, Urlingford, Co. KilkennySuperValu BallyraggetAddress: Dick’s, Castle St, Ballyragget, Co. KilkennySuperValu CallanAddress: Green Street, Callan, Co. KilkennySupervalu GraiguenamanaghAddress: Doran’s, Main Street, Graiguenamanagh, Co. KilkennySuperValu KilkennyAddress: Market Cross Centre, James Street, Co. KilkennySuperValu LoughboyAddress: Caulfield’s, Loughboy, Co. KilkennySuperValu ThomastownAddress: Taite’s, Dublin Road, Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

Yes, designated seating.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how has preperation gone for u21s?Someone said conor doheny is out he has good potential but was poor the last night.Darren mullen or bergin will probably start.it's a hugely important match hopefully home advantage can swing it,we have some very good players on paper but we've yet to click fully.Leahy,walsh and lawlor will hopefully be back from injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I don't understand your argument. If you are genuinely concerned with promoting the game then surely a double-header is the way to go rather than having Dublin-Tipp tucked away in Portlaoise or somewhere?

If your argument is more about conceding perceived venue advantage from the point of view of maximising Dublin's chances that's fair enough, but you don't say so and your argument is couched in 'promoting the game' terms and that moves the goalposts significantly. The whole business would have a far higher profile if a double-header.

Was talking about last Saturday's game. Tipp drew home advantage, Westmeath requested they go to Mullingar and play it there. Tipp refused point blank.
    Would've been nice for Westmeath fans seeing their team play the AI champions at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

When the Waterford lads start the off the ball stuff like Wexford and limerick did, Ger will lose the head like he did against these two teams in the past, best to bring him on as a sub. No doubt they'll put Connors on him, which means way more off the ball stuff and Ger will have to be taken off before he gets himself sent off. Best to bring him on when the game opens up and have him with a point to prove.

I think your wrong I have never seen Noel Connors pull a bad stroke on anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

Id bring Joyce back, P Walsh on the wing, i think Joe Lyng did enough to hold his place.. competition for midfield with Ryan, Deegan and Fennelly all hurling well, Id drop Conor Fogarty, poor form continues, very slow and lacks the skill where a half back should be launching attacks, poor in the air also, brings very little to the team at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Village87 wrote: »
    Id bring Joyce back, P Walsh on the wing, i think Joe Lyng did enough to hold his place.. competition for midfield with Ryan, Deegan and Fennelly all hurling well, Id drop Conor Fogarty, poor form continues, very slow and lacks the skill where a half back should be launching attacks, poor in the air also, brings very little to the team at present

Id agree , except i would be a bit worried about Lyng. I was confident about him every time he was challenged for most of the game V Limerick.

I have a 21st i HAVE to go to on Saturday :( .... in Waterford , with loads of Waterford people .......
    I think myself and my daughter will be the only people there supporting the Cats .... 2 Vs 140 .....
    "Always outnumbered, never Outgunned" ... HON THE CATS

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I wouldnt drop Fogarty, Id sooner put him back in his best position at midfield

Kenajonn wrote: »
    I think your wrong I have never seen Noel Connors pull a bad stroke on anyone.

no one said bad stroke or dirty stroke, but he's at off the ball continuosly.
    Waterford were at it against KK last year, and Cork people were complaining after the minster game this year too. This Waterford team are anything but saints, which is surprising for such a young side. KK need to stand up to this on Saturday, they didn't against Wexford, but they need to Saturday.

Just something else I wanted to bring up about the match against Limerick... TJ Reid's performance.

Most people in the thread have said that TJ played okay/average.

I myself said last week that Reid needed to improve, in particular scoring from play.

Although he only got 2 points from play on Saturday night, I thought he contributed a lot.

He cleanly caught at least 5 balls that came from puck-outs/long clearances, that resulted in 3 frees (I think) which he scored from. No other KK forward was able to catch a cold let alone a sliotar against Limerick.

He's setting up goal scoring chances for other players. The point that Walter scored in the first half where he went on a long run and tapped it over the bar started with a pass from TJ (Walter should have squared that ball across the goal as Alyward was completely unmarked). TJ gave the pass to Mick Fennelly for his run which resulted in the one-handed strike on goal in the first half. In the second half, it's was TJ's clever ground stroke that gave Bolger the guilt-edge goal scoring chance.

One thing that TJ could improve on is his ability to get away from defenders when he gets possession (usually from catches). He seems to get fouled a lot and this was evident during both the Limerick and Wexford games. I know he's our star player so he will always be marked very tightly and it's easier said than done etc.

Maybe he is content to get fouled, knowing that he himself will be able to slot over the free... (or I'm probably talking out of my a*se). But the more he can evade the opposition defenders, the more scoring chances he can set up for himself and others. And scoring from play will always generate more confidence and momentum that scoring from frees.

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Put Fogarty back midfield, he has the engine to mark Barron.
    Based on waterfords style of play we need to put our best two wing backs, back to mark them, and that's Walsh and Buckley. Cos Buckley needs to mark Moran. Lyng can mark O Mahoney or Brick. Holden on Shanahan or Brick. Waterford will pull a man back so they will have two forwards on the full line and the game will be played between the two 40's, that where we need to have our best players.

• Advertisement

Just something else I wanted to bring up about the match against Limerick... TJ Reid's performance.

I myself said last week that Reid needed to improve, in particular scoring from play.

Although he only got 2 points from play on Saturday night, I thought he contributed a lot.

He cleanly caught at least 5 balls that came from puck-outs/long clearances, that resulted in 3 frees (I think) which he scored from. No other KK forward was able to catch a cold let alone a sliotar against Limerick.

He's setting up goal scoring chances for other players. The point that Walter scored in the first half where he went on a long run and tapped it over the bar started with a pass from TJ (Walter should have squared that ball across the goal as Alyward was completely unmarked). TJ gave the pass to Mick Fennelly for his run which resulted in the one-handed strike on goal in the first half. In the second half, it's was TJ's clever ground stroke that gave Bolger the guilt-edge goal scoring chance.

One thing that TJ could improve on is his ability to get away from defenders when he gets possession (usually from catches). He seems to get fouled a lot and this was evident during both the Limerick and Wexford games. I know he's our star player so he will always be marked very tightly and it's easier said than done etc.

Maybe he is content to get fouled, knowing that he himself will be able to slot over the free... (or I'm probably talking out of my a*se). But the more he can evade the opposition defenders, the more scoring chances he can set up for himself and others. And scoring from play will always generate more confidence and momentum that scoring from frees.

The big problem here is that we don't have players running off TJs shoulder or looking to receive the hand pass from him. We are winning ball, but the link up play is desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Waterford were at it against KK last year, and Cork people were complaining after the minster game this year too. This Waterford team are anything but saints, which is surprising for such a young side. KK need to stand up to this on Saturday, they didn't against Wexford, but they need to Saturday.

Hmmm.............https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jackie-tyrrell-waterford-are-nice-you-d-want-your-sister-going-out-with-one-of-them-1.3121405

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Plenty of competition midfield with Fennelly, Deegan & Ryan hurling well Saturday. Fogarty has struggled on Barron last 2/3 times Kilkenny played Waterford, Barron was running the show.. Fogarty is very slow to recover when turned and very slow to clear the ball. leading to poor ball into the full forward line.

I fully agree with TJ, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and dragged Kilkenny back into it, with 2 lads on him lost off the match and a lot of the puck outs coming down his way, Cant expect him to do much more. Carrying Kilkenny at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Agree ger and richie have been poor but for me their class acts that will come good.I rate bolger highly but he seems nervous and snatched at chances.in both games he had 2 goal chances

I said it here at the start of the year and was roundly criticised that Ger Aylward was been put up on a pedestal that was scarcely deserved, he had one excellent run of form but has had as many poor games as he has bad at senior inter-county level - like a lot of players that are out injured or out of favour, its amazing how their stock rises the longer they are missing.
    washman3 wrote: »
    Was talking about last Saturday's game. Tipp drew home advantage, Westmeath requested they go to Mullingar and play it there. Tipp refused point blank.
    Would've been nice for Westmeath fans seeing their team play the AI champions at home.

Second time you have made this false claim, stick to the facts and people might actually take notice of what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I couldnt agree more. I thought he was superb, especially considering the lack of help around him. He is our only forward who is able to consistently win a 50/50 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Meet a non-Kilkenny man this morning who happened to be on a work phonecall with one of the older Waterford starters when the news of the draw came through to him yesterday.
    Player interrupts conversation with "Ah f**k!"
    The lad said "Whats wrong?"
    Silence for about a minute,
    Then in a somber tone "We've drawn feckin Kilkenny" and quickly turned the call back to work.

Contrary to John Mullane's strange assertion that Waterford would/will be delighted to play Kilkenny, that Waterford veteran wasn't enamoured with the idea. Not that I think they'll be sh*****g themselves or anything I just found it interesting to hear that response.

There's one thing about Waterfords victory over Offaly where I can see light. It sounded impressive and something to be really worried about from a Kilkenny perspective. It could be thought that Waterford are back on track and we struggled over Limerick. However when you consider Tipperary trounced Offaly in challenge match a month ago by 8-22 to 0-12 (took starting 15 off at half time and instructed the new players to go for points only in the second half) it puts the Waterford result into context. Especially when you see how Tipp struggled against Westmeath (although they're better team than Offaly currently). If Tipp can run up that kind of score against Offaly when in such poor form should Waterford not have done even more, silly to try infer a different teams worth from looking at how two teams did against the same opposition but to only score one goal is poor display for me, unless they were practicing their outfield shooting?

• Advertisement

Meet a non-Kilkenny man this morning who happened to be on a work phonecall with one of the older Waterford starters when the news of the draw came through to him yesterday.
    Then in a somber tone "We've drawn feckin Kilkenny" and quickly turned the call back to work.

Contrary to John Mullane's strange assertion that Waterford would/will be delighted to play Kilkenny, that Waterford veteran wasn't enamoured with the idea. Not that I think they'll be sh*****g themselves or anything I just found it interesting to hear that response.

There's one thing about Waterfords victory over Offaly where I can see light. It sounded impressive and something to be really worried about from a Kilkenny perspective. It could be thought that Waterford are back on track and we struggled over Limerick. However when you consider Tipperary trounced Offaly in challenge match a month ago by 8-22 to 0-12 (took starting 15 off at half time and instructed the new players to go for points only in the second half) it puts the Waterford result into context. Especially when you see how Tipp struggled against Westmeath (although they're better team than Offaly currently). If Tipp can run up that kind of score against Offaly when in such poor form should Waterford not have done even more, silly to try infer a different teams worth from looking at how two teams did against the same opposition but to only score one goal is poor display for me, unless they were practicing their outfield shooting?

How can you compare a championship match to a challenge and they still scored 1-35. You can look at it this way too, 36 scores to 30..

Look Kilkenny v Waterford is 50-50 whoever makes the less mistakes and take there chances will win , very hard to call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

You can't possible compare a challenge game to championship. Also you can't really criticise a team for only scoring 1-35. The Offaly game gives absolutely no indication of where Waterford are at because unfortunately Offaly really are dire at the moment.

I find that story about the Waterford players reaction hard to believe. The big thing for Waterford and I'd imagine Kilkenny too was to avoid Tipperary. After that we would both obviously prefer Dublin but we're happy enough with Kilkenny. Could have been worse, could have been better. I'd imagine Kilkenny feel the exact same.

I was at both games and I saw no off the ball stuff. It is strange how peoples opinions differ. Waterford are not a dirty side and trying to make them out has one is just wrong. I hated it when Kilkenny were labeled a dirty side.

Just wondering, will their be extra time in the games on Saturday evening or will they go to replays?

Just wondering, will their be extra time in the games on Saturday evening or will they go to replays?

I think it would be extra time. Didn't we finish level last time and that went to extra time.

• Advertisement

Extra time in both matches.
    Could be a long night ala the Phase 3 Qualifiers in 2013.

I agree this game is 50-50.Both kk and waterford will be happy to avoid tipp.
    I was listening to dalo last night he was saying while he doesn't see us winning the all Ireland he wouldn't be suprised to see us in the final.
    Positives from the other night our backs and mf are improving we need more from our ff line especially and if that happens who knows what could happen next Saturday night

Kenajonn wrote: »

I think it would be extra time. Didn't we finish level last time and that went to extra time.

Last year was a semi-final replay.

There's one thing about Waterfords victory over Offaly where I can see light. It sounded impressive and something to be really worried about from a Kilkenny perspective. It could be thought that Waterford are back on track and we struggled over Limerick. However when you consider Tipperary trounced Offaly in challenge match a month ago by 8-22 to 0-12 (took starting 15 off at half time and instructed the new players to go for points only in the second half) it puts the Waterford result into context. Especially when you see how Tipp struggled against Westmeath (although they're better team than Offaly currently). If Tipp can run up that kind of score against Offaly when in such poor form should Waterford not have done even more,(missing it's) silly to try infer a different teams worth from looking at how two teams did against the same opposition but to only score one goal is poor display for me, unless they were practicing their outfield shooting?
    How can you compare a championship match to a challenge and they still scored 1-35. You can look at it this way too, 36 scores to 30..

Look Kilkenny v Waterford is 50-50 whoever makes the less mistakes and take there chances will win , very hard to call I never made any claim on the outcome of the game

Apologies i left out- it's.

Kilkenny U 21 Team v Wexford.
    1.D Brennan
    2. M. Cody
    3. C Delaney
    4. J Burke
    5. D Mullen
    6. J Cleere
    7. T Walsh
    8. L Scanlan
    9. P Lyng
    10. A Murphy
    11. J Donnelly
    12. S Morrissey
    13. S Walsh
    14. L Blanchfield
    15. B Ryan

16 L Dunphy
    17 R Bergin
    18 J Walsh
    19 N Mc Mahon
    20 K Crowley
    21 E Kenny
    22 R Leahy
    23 C Hennessy
    24 J Bergin.

redlead wrote: »
    You can't possible compare a challenge game to championship. Also you can't really criticise a team for only scoring 1-35. I didn't criticise them for scoring 35 points I just think they should be scoring a lot more goals against a team like Offaly is all. The Offaly game gives absolutely no indication of where Waterford are at because unfortunately Offaly really are dire at the moment. See the response to Village87

I find that story about the Waterford players reaction hard to believe. The big thing for Waterford and I'd imagine Kilkenny too was to avoid Tipperary. After that we would both obviously prefer Dublin but we're happy enough with Kilkenny. Could have been worse, could have been better. I'd imagine Kilkenny feel the exact same.
    I don't really mind if you believe it or not, I know the man and he works with one of the Waterford players and he's regularly spot on when it comes to Waterford and he's not a bluffer. I doubt the player feels that way now it was just an initial reaction. I don't think it will have any bearing on the game or the player in questions performance, I just thought it was an interesting reaction.

To be honest the way Tipp are hurling I think both Waterford and Kilkenny would have loved to get them, as they are in complete disarray since the League final. Kilkenny and Waterford got the hard draw and it will be a tough game and I honestly don't know how it'll go. When I heard the draw first my reaction was that we were really in trouble but my opinion is becoming a bit more balanced. It'll all come down to who has more belief on the day and probably a little bit of luck on the day too but then again you make your own luck much like Maurice Shanahan did the last. His goal against Cork was very lucky in ways, with the bounce to get the ball through a few times but if he wasn't there in the first place it would never have happened obviously.

1.D Brennan
    2. M. Cody
    3. C Delaney
    4. J Burke
    5. D Mullen
    6. J Cleere
    7. T Walsh
    8. L Scanlan
    9. P Lyng
    10. A Murphy
    11. J Donnelly
    12. S Morrissey
    13. S Walsh
    14. L Blanchfield
    15. B Ryan

16 L Dunphy
    17 R Bergin
    18 J Walsh
    19 N Mc Mahon
    20 K Crowley
    21 E Kenny
    22 R Leahy
    23 C Hennessy
    24 J Bergin.

Leahy and J Walsh obviously not 100% yet or just not training hard enough but I would suggest the former. Would also hope B Ryan doesn't start in the corner far more effective on the half forward line.

Last year was a semi-final replay.
    Sorry I meant in the qualifiers in 2013.

1.D Brennan
    2. M. Cody
    3. C Delaney
    4. J Burke
    5. D Mullen
    6. J Cleere
    7. T Walsh
    8. L Scanlan
    9. P Lyng
    10. A Murphy
    11. J Donnelly
    12. S Morrissey
    13. S Walsh
    14. L Blanchfield
    15. B Ryan

16 L Dunphy
    17 R Bergin
    18 J Walsh
    19 N Mc Mahon
    20 K Crowley
    21 E Kenny
    22 R Leahy
    23 C Hennessy
    24 J Bergin.

I thought Burke at 4 struggled the last day,Shane walsh has yet to really impressed obviously disappointing walsh,leahy and lawlor not fit.Still only 24 which is strange considering lads like gaffney or farrell who walked would be worth carrying

I think TG4 is covering the game tomorrow evening, for anyone who can't make it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement