Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

As far as I know only 24 players permitted at underage level and 26 at senior level, not sure why. Minors was 24 last Sunday also

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Lets hope 21s can follow minors as leinster champions and seniors can show everyone next saturday that we are still alive and kicking.2 wins in a week and I think the confidence all round will come flooding back.looking forward to tomorrow and especially saturday when I expect us to really puck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

For those interested this is on klkennygaa.ie "There will be a Public Sale of Stand and Terrace tickets for the Qualifier game in Thurles in Nowlan Park 15 minutes after the under 21 game finishes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

The best of luck to the u21s tomorrow night hopefully everything will come right we will get a win . We need to be laying down a marker against Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Kilkenny U 21 Team v Wexford.
    1.D Brennan
    2. M. Cody
    3. C Delaney
    4. J Burke
    5. D Mullen
    6. J Cleere
    7. T Walsh
    8. L Scanlan
    9. P Lyng
    10. A Murphy
    11. J Donnelly
    12. S Morrissey
    13. S Walsh
    14. L Blanchfield
    15. B Ryan

16 L Dunphy
    17 R Bergin
    18 J Walsh
    19 N Mc Mahon
    20 K Crowley
    21 E Kenny
    22 R Leahy
    23 C Hennessy
    24 J Bergin.

I see Kevin Farrell has walked off the panel.

Given his form the last two years where last year he was the key man in them going on to win the Intermediate AI and he's been by far Carrickshock's best forward in senior this year and pops up with at least a few scores from play, you have to wonder why lads like him would bother doing all that training when the likes of Blanchfield (who's an honest lad and trier I have good time for but nonetheless has produced nothing of note at club, U21 or senior the last few years) are starting ahead of him.

Fair enough, stay on the panel, fight like a demon and play your way onto team, but I get the impression off the club he was clearly let it known he was there for numbers.

Sad to see good hurlers walk without been given a fair chance while lads who are clearly never be up to it at senior level walk onto the team. And we wonder why we haven't performed as well at U21 over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

randd1 wrote: »

Given his form the last two years where last year he was the key man in them going on to win the Intermediate AI and he's been by far Carrickshock's best forward in senior this year and pops up with at least a few scores from play, you have to wonder why lads like him would bother doing all that training when the likes of Blanchfield (who's an honest lad and trier I have good time for but nonetheless has produced nothing of note at club, U21 or senior the last few years) are starting ahead of him.

Fair enough, stay on the panel, fight like a demon and play your way onto team, but I get the impression off the club he was clearly let it known he was there for numbers.

Sad to see good hurlers walk without been given a fair chance while lads who are clearly never be up to it at senior level walk onto the team. And we wonder why we haven't performed as well at U21 over the years.

Agreed a hundred percent think it shouldn't of being allowed.Andy gaffney was good enough to make the panel last year but not this year

Where is that Ciaran Ryan from the Rower gone he was around that minor team when they won, looking at Blanchfield Saturday night during the warm up he kept dropping the ball he seems to have lost confidence the all Ireland last year seem to knock him for dead.As regards Kevin Farrell its a pity they pull off these panels somebody from the club should talk to them tell them to hold on . This match is very important tonight as I said we need to be telling Wexford we are still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

JimTreacy wrote: »
    Where is that Ciaran Ryan from the Rower gone he was around that minor team when they won, looking at Blanchfield Saturday night during the warm up he kept dropping the ball he seems to have lost confidence the all Ireland last year seem to knock him for dead.As regards Kevin Farrell its a pity they pull off these panels somebody from the club should talk to them tell them to hold on . This match is very important tonight as I said we need to be telling Wexford we are still around.

In fairness Blanchfield played well the year the bridge won the Intermediate for the club and played well last year v Waterford in the semi final and Tipp in the final both Senior.

Farrell is way ahead of Shane Walsh from Tullaroan, Eddie Brennan looking after him there, not right

Village87 wrote: »
    In fairness Blanchfield played well the year the bridge won the Intermediate for the club and played well last year v Waterford in the semi final and Tipp in the final both Senior.

Farrell is way ahead of Shane Walsh from Tullaroan, Eddie Brennan looking after him there, not right

Alan Murphy the same, offers little only frees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny U 21 Team v Wexford.
    1.D Brennan
    2. M. Cody
    3. C Delaney
    4. J Burke
    5. D Mullen
    6. J Cleere
    7. T Walsh
    8. L Scanlan
    9. P Lyng
    10. A Murphy
    11. J Donnelly
    12. S Morrissey
    13. S Walsh
    14. L Blanchfield
    15. B Ryan

16 L Dunphy
    17 R Bergin
    18 J Walsh
    19 N Mc Mahon
    20 K Crowley
    21 E Kenny
    22 R Leahy
    23 C Hennessy
    24 J Bergin.

Jesus this bollocks never gets old. So the U21 management team are not picking a team on merit but rather their favourites and to hell with results? If Farrell was good enough he'd be on that team end of. Nothing personal against him just reality. There's no comparison between club intermediate and U21 inter county, the latter being a higher standard. Blanchfields form has been poor this year but imo his best performances have been for the U21 team. Also he got subbed after 43 mins against Westmeath. That's not how you treat a 'favourite'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why would a Ballycallan man be looking after a Tullaroan chap? Also, while I don't think Murphy is a world beater by any means he is an unreal free taker and worth having there for the guaranteed scores he provides.

Some fair amount of bollocks talked in this thread about bias while lads spout their own version of it. Again, don't think Blanchfield should be starting with the seniors at the minute but people saying he's never done anything have short memories considering he scored 3 points on his championship debut against Waterford last year. He's still U21 and people want him cut loose as not good enough. What were ye at when ye were 21? Give the lad a chance to improve.

I know lads will agree and disagree but I was shocked not to see farrell on the panel for the dublin match I thought he'd be worth his place on the panel.
    I was told mossy keoghan is hurling well for the intermediates there playing wexford at home this day week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Some fair amount of bollocks talked in this thread about bias while lads spout their own version of it.

See this is the rubbish the rest of us in the 'normal' counties have to put up with on a regular basis, it's amazing that when a county is totally dominant and winning everything there isn't a single concern or eyebrow raised and every team and panel selected is perfect, but when a few results start to go the other way, suddenly its all a jobs for the boys outfit, club bias and nepotism and all the rest of the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories!

Welcome to the dark side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

danganabu wrote: »
    See this is the rubbish the rest of us in the 'normal' counties have to put up with on a regular basis, it's amazing that when a county is totally dominant and winning everything there isn't a single concern or eyebrow raised and every team and panel selected is perfect, but when a few results start to go the other way, suddenly its all a jobs for the boys outfit, club bias and nepotism and all the rest of the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories!

Welcome to the dark side :D

Totally agree when results don't go your way then the conspiracy theories are given oxygen and are harder to refute. Amazingly these U21's have had the results going their way and still the management are being run down.

I know someone involved in the U21 set up this year and I have heard a fair amount about how their going and I would have asked many of the same questions posed here and to be honest the simple answer is normally the correct one. The lads that have been mentioned above as potential starters are all in contention for a starting place but for one reason or another their not playing or on the panel the main reason is their not hurling as well in training as the lads that are picked ahead of them. Shane Walsh for instance has surprised all those involved with the U21's he was asked to come in and give it a go but he seriously impressed all year in training having some scintillating games in both training and challenges. As a result he gets to start. Andy Gaffney a club mate of mine apparently is training well but not as well as the lads ahead of him. Young Farrell to be honest sounds like he must have had lads pouring honey in his ear telling him he should be starting but those people who weren't seeing him train for the county, either that or he needs to grow up others were picked ahead of him on merit and sadly he doesn't seem to be able to handle that.

How would we have the management pick the team if not on fitness levels and training performance? Isn't that what Cody has been lauded for, for year's. Should they not pay any heed to what they see every night and pick the team by asking everyone for their opinion on seeing some of these lads play loads and others a handful of times in their life?

We may not agree with certain calls and I would love more Boro men involved but every time I've asked why they are or aren't, the answer is very simple. They may be going well but there's someone else going better at the minute. The management are best placed to make the call they've seen them all more than us this year they know they're fitness levels, their form, their gelling with other players around them.

Our U21's seem to have a weight on their shoulders from last year's humiliation. They were nervous the first day and like wise in the first half the last day. I would hope they can cut loose this evening and show what their really made of if the forwards click like they can we should win but Wexford are a big tough and good team so we'll see how it goes but I would be hopeful of a solid win. Hope everyone that's free this evening goes to the Park to support them as Wexford will bring a crowd.

Alan Murphy the same, offers little only frees

Are you talking to yourself now replying to quote from yourself who would be the best hurler around is it A ANOTHER it seems to be, the likes of Blanchfield , Morrissey , met them up in D,C,U, one evening in May getting ready to come down for training sure these lads have exams other pressures on them.

• Advertisement

Important to win tonite and get a bandwagon effect going.minors 21s and seniors still standing.between these 3 teams we have serious talent and I would urge everyone to get behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Leahy starting in place of Shane Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Very encouraging first half hopefully the lads can drive on now. Definite red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good score. 17 points by half time is an impressive strike rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Well done to Kk U21 team tonight and to the Minors on Sunday for winning their respective Leinster titles. Really impressed with the U21 team tonight. Scored some lovely points. Richie Leahy impressed for me and surely has to be involved from the bench on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Thought that was a really good performance. Still some poor wides and disappointing we didn't get a goal but some lovely hurling played throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Very good win and good to see a large amount of scores after the rather poor performances by the forwards against Dublin and Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great win for the U-21 team tonight. Well done to all the players, management & backroom staff.

The red card, which was 100% the correct decision, obviously had a massive impact on the game. But things were looking positive for KK prior to that.

A goal would have been nice, and some of the wides were poor, but overall it was a fantastic performance and one that I was not expecting.

Seniors beat Limerick and minors & U-21s both win Leinster all within a few days. Roll on this Saturday :cool:

Missed the game tonite ,do tg4 show replays or have a player does anyone know. Anyone hot a report on the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Good win, very impressive. 30 points in a 60 minute game is some scoring no matter the circumstances, and we had plenty of wides on top of that. Just the one goal chance though, brilliantly improvised and a great save to prevent it.

Defensively we were fairly sound, looked solid and we got great cover and support from midfield. The only downside was pace-wise, Wexford ran through us a few times in the second half and we looked uneasy, but they weren't going to breach our defence a man down. It's something to work on.

The biggest plus for me though was the movement of the ball, the interplay and the forward movement. Our forwards were fluid, not static, and made some great runs all evening. Good tracking back too. Passing was good, diagonal ball, long ball, short passing, high ball, low fast ball, it really helped the forwards, it was good, inventive hurling.

Congratulations to the lads, it was a top performance.

Congrats to the management too, they took a lot of flack after last year, and now they've delivered our first title in this grade for 5 years. Well done to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Good performance from the lads, they seemed to play without a nervousness that hung over them for the first two games.

Billy Ryan an Richie Leahy had great games. Good week so far, if we win Saturday it will have been an excellent week and a great boost

Outside of leahy and ryan who stood out.also how did john donnelly play.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Missed the game tonite ,do tg4 show replays or have a player does anyone know. Anyone hot a report on the game?

TG4 will have the full programme on their player. Not sure though how soon it will be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Nice to read some praise for the 21s here for once. Hopefully people are now realising that there are some seriously talented players in that team.

Leahy, Scanlon, Cleere, Morrissey were all outstanding with Delaney, Lyng and Ryan & Mullen not far behind. They really looked in control well before the red card. There were some top class scores and good interplay. I've said it a few times here but we need those some of those lads on the bench for the seniors to give us real options.

Only two weeks ago, lads here we're trying to rip up coaching structures in the county. Fast forward a couple of weeks....the U21s and Minors are Leinster champions and the seniors have a good shot against Waterford. I wonder how many will be repeating those calls now if the seniors make it 4 from 4 for the week? There is talent coming through.

Well done to all involved tonight it was a hugely important win from a group we hope will backbone our senior team in the next few years.
    We looked much better from the off and the sending off probably killed the match as a contest.
    Our backs looked generally comfortable but I'm sure management will be disgusted to give away that cheap goal.Mullen was the pick of the backs he was excellent and certainly looks to have a bright future,scanlon also impressed at mf which is good because we all know the potential he has and morrissey is improving with every game but leahy and ryan were the 2 standout men up front both were very good.Alan Murphy knows he can do better while hopefully things come right for blanch,it's not going right for him at the moment but he doesn't need lads on here slating him either.
    Overall it's being a great week for our hurlers and footballers and nice to see a good home support and people getting tickets for Saturday after the game this win will hopefully give our lads a lift and maybe leahy or ryan might make the bench saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Super performance. 30pts is some shooting but it was the spread of scorers that pleased me. Loads of lads got on the scoresheet which will boost their confidence.

John Donnelly, Liam B and Alan Murphy came off in second half but can't remember who else.

Wexford battled gamely but with man down and down on scoreboard it was always going to be tough. In saying that, before man was sent off (rush of blood on Leahy) we were always in control and were playing really well. It didn't help Wexford obviously but in the first 18mins, KK were playing very well.

I wouldn't worry about goals when we can hit 30 points!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Super performance. 30pts is some shooting but it was the spread of scorers that pleased me. Loads of lads got on the scoresheet which will boost their confidence.

John Donnelly, Liam B and Alan Murphy came off in second half but can't remember who else.

Wexford battled gamely but with man down and down on scoreboard it was always going to be tough. In saying that, before man was sent off (rush of blood on Leahy) we were always in control and were playing really well. It didn't help Wexford obviously but in the first 18mins, KK were playing very well.

I wouldn't worry about goals when we can hit 30 points!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Would any of the U21s get a call up for Saturday night ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

brookville wrote: »
    while hopefully things come right for blanch,it's not going right for him at the moment but he doesn't need lads on here slating him either.
    I think that's part of Blanch's issue, he seemed to panic and overthink on the ball and it's possibly down to pressure to perform, maybe some on here should give up the bitchin' and get behind those that need "supporters"

Comerman wrote: »
    I think that's part of Blanch's issue, he seemed to panic and overthink on the ball and it's possibly down to pressure to perform, maybe some on here should give up the bitchin' and get behind those that need "supporters"

Agreed it's 5 years since we won a leinster final we should be congratulating the lads and I'm sure they know they'll have to improve but there getting better with each match.
    Its a pity mullen and ryan didn't see game time during the league

greenspurs wrote: »
    Would any of the U21s get a call up for Saturday night ??

Well Blanchfield was subbed off after 43 minutes so read into that what you will

Well Blanchfield was subbed off after 43 minutes so read into that what you will

Leahy is an outstanding talent. Surely in the reckoning for the weekend. Blanchfield out of form at present but the man has had a hectic few years, he will come good.

Billy Ryan will be on the bench hopefully for Saturday.

Other forwards such as Donnelly and Morrissey did well but still a good bit off senior Intercounty speed

Alan Murphy doeskin really offer much from play, be lucky to hold his place on the u21 team next day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Leahy is an outstanding talent. Surely in the reckoning for the weekend. Blanchfield out of form at present but the man has had a hectic few years, he will come good.

Billy Ryan will be on the bench hopefully for Saturday.

Other forwards such as Donnelly and Morrissey did well but still a good bit off senior Intercounty speed

Alan Murphy doeskin really offer much from play, be lucky to hold his place on the u21 team next day out

Cleere played well also.....
    Surely worth a sot on the bench, and maybe an appearance if an impact sub is needed... ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That last point from Cleere was great wasn't it - the shrug, planting the feet and just slapping it over the bar, looked great. He hit a lovely pass earlier too, across field to Morrissey I think it was. He certainly has talent, no doubt about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Blanchfield looks like a lad short on confidence. That goal chance in the first half summed up how he's hurling lately.

Leahy is a right operator, very impressed with Scanlon and Darren Mullen also.
    Jason Cleere looked like a senior hurler last night.

This team look to be growing in confidence as the games go on, fair play to whoever beats them.

It's an ideal confidence boost for the entire county before Saturday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Michael Fennelly’s performance versus Limerick vindicates my post from last week regarding midfield. It was not so much his physicality which people get carried away with, but more his positioning in front of the two half lines as required and not out on the side line that much either. Combine this with his drive to move the ball quickly out of the rucks, not always to the right target but more often than not it did open up the play either by his indiscriminate pull or his physical drive to burst away. He wasn’t there to win pucks out much, but more to mop up the mess from rucks. It is one solution to the midfield conundrum. However, he is just one man and only a short term solution to the overall midfield problem in Kilkenny. Who is the next great Kilkenny midfielder? As some people pointed out Paddy Deegan did very well on the ball, but his positioning and getting on the ball left a lot to be desired. The good news is that we have players that can be coached to be midfielders, but that takes time and if we believe in club at all, the most of that has to come from the club and therein lies the underlying issue for Kilkenny hurling at the moment.

The biggest win of the weekend has barely got a mention here or anywhere else and that is the Kilkenny Junior footballers winning the British Championship and qualifying for the All-Ireland semi-final versus Meath on 22 July in probably Nowlan Park. Many posters have noted the Kilkenny club hurling championship standard has been slipping over the last few years. Veteran Martin Comerford was the star of last year in a year when very few stood out consistently. Is it a coincidence that Kilkenny clubs have ignored their football responsibilities hugely in the same period of reducing quality in the hurling championship locally? More walk overs, less entries, both at adult and underage. Is there a definite link?

Hurling has moved on again, whether Kilkenny people like it or not. The average hurler playing around the middle of the field covers about 8km in an inter county match. Both Galway and Wexford both showed that the game is starting to copy football with wing backs poaching goals and even corner backs in Wexford’s case getting up the field to get scores. The game has moved on and Movement is the name of the game, not just the forwards as often portrayed by posters here. The hurling skills are the same and yes Kilkenny are good enough at the skills, but the actual position of corner forward or corner back is now gone once the ball is thrown in. (Yes it will cause fierce problems for a lot of club coaches who take off the corner forwards no matter what or where the issue is). In Kilkenny, clubs now have too many guys coaching club teams who are stuck in their ways. Some moving from club to club. The cone is like a pillar of worship, not only on the training ground but for the pre-match. I was disappointed to see Kilkenny minors had way more cones laid out for their warm up than their Dublin counterparts with their array of colourful cones, I was sure they were for the Dubs. The result of cones is that players train to target the ball at the cone (sorry player) standing at the cone. Maybe we could get moving cones. Too many club coaches from Under-14 to adult are either not experienced enough, not willing to embrace change or stuck in their ways. Many club coaches are doing it the way they were trained during the Celtic Tiger when cones were plentiful. The Tiger is gone but we must remember that when the Kilkenny club scene is strong, we produce top class inter county players. We need the clubs to change and modernise coaching (yet again)

The skills of movement and high fielding used in football are particularly necessary now in hurling as is the ability not to get pigeon holed into a corner back or corner forward. Even in the aftermath of the Limerick win, we had a poster blaming Cody (btw he’ll be delighted at getting blamed for a win) and not offering alternative Managements (still). The ultimate blame lies with the clubs and their coaches. The same clubs don’t want the responsibility of developing players. They complain about development squads who only have the players for less than a dozen sessions a year and forget they have all the players for about five times that amount and more. They stop players from playing Gaelic Football and wonder why they have no movement on the field and nobody prepared to jump high like Tommy Walsh used to do or Lee Chin (a dual player) did against Kilkenny. Instead we have lads who just put their hurl in the air and pray the ball hits the hurl. Even the great Kilkenny team of the seventies were a powerful set of footballers who knew howo to attack the ball.

Another curse of the club training session is the portable juvenile goals. We haven’t thirty players so let’s shorten the pitch and play like twelve year olds. Then we wonder why we haven’t players who cannot deliver long pinpoint passes to a moving colleague and a quality ball that a forward might enjoy and conversely we have players who love to give short 10 yard tippy tappy bounce along the ground passes, many of them across the field, some even backwards. It’s awful stuff when transported to the inter county game.

Rather than focussing on the issues of the county team, why not go down to your club, count the cones, look at the juvenile goals and watch the movement and the high fielding on the shortened pitch in the match, if there is even a match in the session. See for yourself if what I am saying is true or is your club one of the exceptions. Then walk over to the coach and ask him… Why?

Like everyone else, I was happy with last night. It’s a work in progress. The Leinster results of our Under-21’s and Minors show talks of Kilkenny demise are well exaggerated. But patience is needed to carry it through to senior again. It is not a given that we will win All-Ireland seniors every year, but we will be competitive. My only disappointments were the lack of goal creation against a team of 14 players that we were obviously better than and still no sign of midfield dominance. Pat Lyng spent a lot of time out on the sideline. Scanlon scored lovely points in space but little or nothing was won in the tight. Wexford won a lot of breaking ball in the middle, especially their number 8. But then again it confirms what I have been saying.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Michael Fennelly’s performance versus Limerick vindicates my post from last week regarding midfield. It was not so much his physicality which people get carried away with, but more his positioning in front of the two half lines as required and not out on the side line that much either. Combine this with his drive to move the ball quickly out of the rucks, not always to the right target but more often than not it did open up the play either by his indiscriminate pull or his physical drive to burst away. He wasn’t there to win pucks out much, but more to mop up the mess from rucks. It is one solution to the midfield conundrum. However, he is just one man and only a short term solution to the overall midfield problem in Kilkenny. Who is the next great Kilkenny midfielder? As some people pointed out Paddy Deegan did very well on the ball, but his positioning and getting on the ball left a lot to be desired. The good news is that we have players that can be coached to be midfielders, but that takes time and if we believe in club at all, the most of that has to come from the club and therein lies the underlying issue for Kilkenny hurling at the moment.

The biggest win of the weekend has barely got a mention here or anywhere else and that is the Kilkenny Junior footballers winning the British Championship and qualifying for the All-Ireland semi-final versus Meath on 22 July in probably Nowlan Park. Many posters have noted the Kilkenny club hurling championship standard has been slipping over the last few years. Veteran Martin Comerford was the star of last year in a year when very few stood out consistently. Is it a coincidence that Kilkenny clubs have ignored their football responsibilities hugely in the same period of reducing quality in the hurling championship locally? More walk overs, less entries, both at adult and underage. Is there a definite link?

Hurling has moved on again, whether Kilkenny people like it or not. The average hurler playing around the middle of the field covers about 8km in an inter county match. Both Galway and Wexford both showed that the game is starting to copy football with wing backs poaching goals and even corner backs in Wexford’s case getting up the field to get scores. The game has moved on and Movement is the name of the game, not just the forwards as often portrayed by posters here. The hurling skills are the same and yes Kilkenny are good enough at the skills, but the actual position of corner forward or corner back is now gone once the ball is thrown in. (Yes it will cause fierce problems for a lot of club coaches who take off the corner forwards no matter what or where the issue is). In Kilkenny, clubs now have too many guys coaching club teams who are stuck in their ways. Some moving from club to club. The cone is like a pillar of worship, not only on the training ground but for the pre-match. I was disappointed to see Kilkenny minors had way more cones laid out for their warm up than their Dublin counterparts with their array of colourful cones, I was sure they were for the Dubs. The result of cones is that players train to target the ball at the cone (sorry player) standing at the cone. Maybe we could get moving cones. Too many club coaches from Under-14 to adult are either not experienced enough, not willing to embrace change or stuck in their ways. Many club coaches are doing it the way they were trained during the Celtic Tiger when cones were plentiful. The Tiger is gone but we must remember that when the Kilkenny club scene is strong, we produce top class inter county players. We need the clubs to change and modernise coaching (yet again)

The skills of movement and high fielding used in football are particularly necessary now in hurling as is the ability not to get pigeon holed into a corner back or corner forward. Even in the aftermath of the Limerick win, we had a poster blaming Cody (btw he’ll be delighted at getting blamed for a win) and not offering alternative Managements (still). The ultimate blame lies with the clubs and their coaches. The same clubs don’t want the responsibility of developing players. They complain about development squads who only have the players for less than a dozen sessions a year and forget they have all the players for about five times that amount and more. They stop players from playing Gaelic Football and wonder why they have no movement on the field and nobody prepared to jump high like Tommy Walsh used to do or Lee Chin (a dual player) did against Kilkenny. Instead we have lads who just put their hurl in the air and pray the ball hits the hurl. Even the great Kilkenny team of the seventies were a powerful set of footballers who knew howo to attack the ball.

Another curse of the club training session is the portable juvenile goals. We haven’t thirty players so let’s shorten the pitch and play like twelve year olds. Then we wonder why we haven’t players who cannot deliver long pinpoint passes to a moving colleague and a quality ball that a forward might enjoy and conversely we have players who love to give short 10 yard tippy tappy bounce along the ground passes, many of them across the field, some even backwards. It’s awful stuff when transported to the inter county game.

Rather than focussing on the issues of the county team, why not go down to your club, count the cones, look at the juvenile goals and watch the movement and the high fielding on the shortened pitch in the match, if there is even a match in the session. See for yourself if what I am saying is true or is your club one of the exceptions. Then walk over to the coach and ask him… Why?

Like everyone else, I was happy with last night. It’s a work in progress. The Leinster results of our Under-21’s and Minors show talks of Kilkenny demise are well exaggerated. But patience is needed to carry it through to senior again. It is not a given that we will win All-Ireland seniors every year, but we will be competitive. My only disappointments were the lack of goal creation against a team of 14 players that we were obviously better than and still no sign of midfield dominance. Pat Lyng spent a lot of time out on the sideline. Scanlon scored lovely points in space but little or nothing was won in the tight. Wexford won a lot of breaking ball in the middle, especially their number 8. But then again it confirms what I have been saying.

Very interesting post and definite truth in it. Footballers are alway thinking of how to get on the ball.

I coach a dublin camogie squad young age.alot of the drills we do are football drills modified for hurling.however the 5 skils of hurling coupled wirh a will to win (give your all)are still the basis for this great game.clares game under davy was football in a hurling format.retain possesion and come of the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

dubcat51 wrote:
    I coach a dublin camogie squad young age.alot of the drills we do are football drills modified for hurling.however the 5 skils of hurling coupled wirh a will to win (give your all)are still the basis for this great game.clares game under davy was football in a hurling format.retain possesion and come of the shoulder.

What are the 5 skills of hurling? There are far more than 5 skills I haven't got!

blue note wrote: »
    What are the 5 skills of hurling? There are far more than 5 skills I haven't got!
    Lifting catching hooking blocking and striking.maybe to play for waterford you have to be able to run back into your own half from corner forward and know how to play with 1 sweeper or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And the five skills of football, pulling, dragging, bunching, fighting, and weight lifting.

And the five skills of football, pulling, dragging, bunching, fighting, and weight lifting.
    Wont disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

There is a lot to like about Richie Leahy, good touch, won his own ball in the air, good speed and he has confidence also. Jason Cleere played well also. It was refreshing to see him and others delivering good ball into the forwards albeit they were against 14 men. I would like to see Conor Delaney get a run at full back in the league next year with a half back line of Padraig Walsh, Jason Cleere and Buckley with Fogarty back in midfield.
    Darren Mullen is a good prospect also. Is there anyone else besides Mullen and Leahy who are eligible for u21 next year? I am a lot more optimistic about the future after the last few days.

blackcard wrote: »
    There is a lot to like about Richie Leahy, good touch, won his own ball in the air, good speed and he has confidence also. Jason Cleere played well also. It was refreshing to see him and others delivering good ball into the forwards albeit they were against 14 men. I would like to see Conor Delaney get a run at full back in the league next year with a half back line of Padraig Walsh, Jason Cleere and Buckley with Fogarty back in midfield.
    Darren Mullen is a good prospect also. Is there anyone else besides Mullen and Leahy who are eligible for u21 next year? I am a lot more optimistic about the future after the last few days.
    Mullen,coady,tommy walsh,donnelly as far as I know,throw in conor doheny who's injured,Andy gaffney and adrian mullen,conor hennesy,we should be decent next year the minor team in 15 were very unlucky to lose the semi final replay to galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

brookville wrote: »
    Mullen,coady,tommy walsh,donnelly as far as I know,throw in conor doheny who's injured,Andy gaffney and adrian mullen,conor hennesy,we should be decent next year the minor team in 15 were very unlucky to lose the semi final replay to galway

They were robbed. 2 square balls I think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement