Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Need a goal....

Back in it...maybe threw it in

Well played JP.

2 points we shouldn't have got in fairness.

Good comeback thought. Great game. 6pts down with 6 mins left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Really entertaining game that. Bit of a steal from KK in the end, but just shows how quickly a game can turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Howler from the Cork goalie. Thought it was a blatant free on Harnedy not given near the end.

Good game to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Power has more of an impact than Kelly had, I'll be amazed. And that's saying something as Kelly barely touched the ball.

I look like some eejit now :D:D

I look like some eejit now :D:D

Cameo role tonight but he did well.

A couple of places up for grabs in the forwards and there will be over the summer.

Only T.J., Richie, Wally and Colin F will be certain starters.

Lester chipped in with 4 points.

Howler from the Cork goalie. Thought it was a blatant free on Harnedy not given near the end.

Good game to watch.

Excellent game alright. Cork will rightly be very disappointed but the Cats never give up.

Glad we got 2 goals although CF's was very dubious. Cork created a good few goal chances and hit probably 10-12 wides.

Not sure why they took Pa Horgan off when the game was still in the melting pot. Strange decision. Maybe he was injured?

This 1B is so tight. There's not much between the teams and it all depends on the day. Some teams sitting on 6pts, on another day could be sitting on 2pts etc. if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I love that Kilkenny CAN win like that - but I seriously worry that we HAVE to win like that - if you get my meaning. Fantastic game, a credit to all involved, Cork and KK. I feel that Cork, despite the positives, may have peaked, whilst KK have some serious and obvious areas on which to work. But a great game to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

Dead lucky to steal that. Cork forwards gave kk the run around and should have been 10 points up by half time. Joey Holden and Shane Prendergast had a tough day. Conor Martin and Kevin Kelly hardly touched a ball. Richie Hogan came into it in the second half but doesn't look fully fit. Good battling performance by all however typified by Colin Fennelly and Walter Walsh. Tj with another very good match. The intensity of that match will bring on the team. Harnedy outstanding for Cork. Didn't realise that Robert Lennon was due to start at full back until he pulled out due to injury.

blackcard wrote: »
    Dead lucky to steal that. Cork forwards gave kk the run around and should have been 10 points up by half time. Joey Holden and Shane Prendergast had a tough day. Conor Martin and Kevin Kelly hardly touched a ball. Richie Hogan came into it in the second half but doesn't look fully fit. Good battling performance by all however typified by Colin Fennelly and Walter Walsh. Tj with another very good match. The intensity of that match will bring on the team. Harnedy outstanding for Cork. Didn't realise that Robert Lennon was due to start at full back until he pulled out due to injury.

Was Joey injured or what was the story there?

Full back line has been decent up until now but Cork's movement gave us serious bother.
    They could have easily scored 2 or 3 more goals.
    Richie Reid was decent in goals.
    I couldn't see us getting 1 goal never mind 2 goals with 4 mins left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Back in it...maybe threw it in

If the ref is going to let Harnedy take 13 or 14 steps because he was tugged when he first got the ball.....he's going to have to let Fennelly get away with not getting a clean strike on the ball when being rugby tackled by 3 defenders.

If the ref is going to let Harnedy take 13 or 14 steps because he was tugged when he first got the ball.....he's going to have to let Fennelly get away with not getting a clean strike on the ball when being rugby tackled by 3 defenders.

Would have been a penalty anyway and you would fancy TJ to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Would have been a penalty anyway and you would fancy TJ to score

No doubt

With Dublin winning today, it means that both us and them have secured places in the QFs. There's no pressure on the match next week, so hopefully we'll see a lot of the fringe lads get a game.

With Dublin winning today, it means that both us and them have secured places in the QFs. There's no pressure on the match next week, so hopefully we'll see a lot of the fringe lads get a game.

True. Good chance to give lads on the panel a good run out.
    I'd give T.J.and Richie Hogan a rest also.

Any word on Conor Fogarty?

I'd give T.J.and Richie Hogan a rest also.

To me, Richie Hogan doesn't look fully fit. There's no need to risk him against Dublin. He was also stretching his hamstrings near the end of the Cork match last night.

I'd like to see how we'd manage struggle without TJ. Kevin Kelly could take the frees. It might get him more involved in the game.

To me, Richie Hogan doesn't look fully fit. There's no need to risk him against Dublin. He was also stretching his hamstrings near the end of the Cork match last night.

I'd like to see how we'd manage struggle without TJ. Kevin Kelly could take the frees. It might get him more involved in the game.

I agree that Richie Hogan doesn't look fully fit but I think the best way to get him fit is match practice

• Advertisement

Yes. I was thinking that it'd be good to see us play without T.J. and Richie. See what the others are we're made of - hopefully they'd push on. This would be a good opportunity to see others in action. Dublin, I'm sure, will be chopping their team also.
    As Richie is struggling with a minor injury, he needs a break for a few weeks and get ready for the summer. Wee break would do him no harm at all.
    Kevin Kelly seems to be a confidence player - a few touches/scores and he's flying. Probably needs to 'mix' it a bit more also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well done on a fine comeback and never say die attitude. As a matter of interest how many changes would you expect to see on that kk team for championship? I was proud of the effort the cork team put in but we missed a few easy chances and gave away a lot of frees with indiscipline which were punished bar one.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

I would expect Eoin Murphy, Michael Fennelly, Conor Fogarty, Eoin Larkin to come back in, other than that we are almost at full compliment, our subs bench is looking a little light.

Hopefully James Maher can secure a place with a bit more game time and with Fogarty injured I hope Conor O Shea maybe gets a shot at midfield/half forward although he can also play in the backs. Kevin Kelly really didn't attack the ball the other night and Cody doesn't want any player to only survive on loose ball so I don't think he will start this week so hopefully Chris Bolger gets a start.

Richie Reid was solid on Saturday and it is good to see him getting game time. Joey was really left exposed by acres of space as well, the corner forwards drifted so far out the field which really worked, that being said Joey is normally able to get the flicks in but Harnedy was fantastic. Great Kilkenny crowd down there which led to a great atmosphere, great to have at least two more matches at least as we definitely need games in the younger players

I would expect Eoin Murphy, Michael Fennelly, Conor Fogarty, Eoin Larkin to come back in, other than that we are almost at full compliment, our subs bench is looking a little light.

Hopefully James Maher can secure a place with a bit more game time and with Fogarty injured I hope Conor O Shea maybe gets a shot at midfield/half forward although he can also play in the backs. Kevin Kelly really didn't attack the ball the other night and Cody doesn't want any player to only survive on loose ball so I don't think he will start this week so hopefully Chris Bolger gets a start.

Richie Reid was solid on Saturday and it is good to see him getting game time. Joey was really left exposed by acres of space as well, the corner forwards drifted so far out the field which really worked, that being said Joey is normally able to get the flicks in but Harnedy was fantastic. Great Kilkenny crowd down there which led to a great atmosphere, great to have at least two more matches at least as we definitely need games in the younger players

Yeah it was a great atmosphere helped by it being a perfect night for hurling. harnedy is the one player who would definitely make your team somewhere. i doubt kk would be as loose in championship and anyway its only march yet so hard to know where teams are at with training.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

first time I have seen joey struggle at full back.has been brillant up to saturday night.
    would like to see bolger mark kelly and kennedy and o shea against dublin.know kelly and kennedy have been tried before.im getting concernced about the rough treatment our so far in the leagueplayers have been getting .alot of head shots have gone unpunished.like everyone who loves the game we like it hard and fair.but for me teams are getting away with some stuff against us.as for the game saturday it was a great atmostphere and really enjoyable if fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Yeah it was a great atmosphere helped by it being a perfect night for hurling.

Pairc Ui Rinn is a great stadium for a crowd of that size. I think it's obvious to all that Pairc Ui Chaoimh is an unnecessary massive expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think if we win sunday we have possibly wexford or offally lose and it could be clare or limerick.I'm sure dublin and kk will experiment a bit knowing they are safe.I'd like to see a few fringe players getting a run out and more importantly tj and richie rested.joey has being excellent for us so far so his entitled to have a bad day but clare used the same tactic last year and paul murphy got roasted by o donnel.he had zero protection in front of him and maybe fogarty going off didn't help things.id like to see something like reid,pender,joey,jackie,shea,lennon,kennedy,lester, coady,colin,malone,maher, walter,kelly,bolger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Won't see mark kelly. He is no longer on the Kilkenny panel.

Pairc Ui Rinn is a great stadium for a crowd of that size. I think it's obvious to all that Pairc Ui Chaoimh is an unnecessary massive expense.

It is if it only hosts gaa games but the plan is concerts and other events which in my view Cork needs. Pairc ui rinn can't cater for cork Kerry or Munster hurling match and the other place was falling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

It is if it only hosts gaa games but the plan is concerts and other events which in my view Cork needs. Pairc ui rinn can't cater for cork Kerry or Munster hurling match and the other place was falling down.

Munster has 3 other stadiums that can hold those 4 or so matches a year that pairc ui rinn can't fit. If I was from Cork I'd rather they spend that money on the club facilities and coaches. And as for the part of the funding from government, as a taxpayer I'd much rather the money be spent on something that could be justified in some way at least.

That's great about the concerts though, maybe if you can't catch up with Kilkenny with the hurling you can at least catch up with the concerts. Bob Dylan and the boss to play pairc ui caoimh. Corcaigh Abu!

blue note wrote: »
    Munster has 3 other stadiums that can hold those 4 or so matches a year that pairc ui rinn can't fit. If I was from Cork I'd rather they spend that money on the club facilities and coaches. And as for the part of the funding from government, as a taxpayer I'd much rather the money be spent on something that could be justified in some way at least.

That's great about the concerts though, maybe if you can't catch up with Kilkenny with the hurling you can at least catch up with the concerts. Bob Dylan and the boss to play pairc ui caoimh. Corcaigh Abu!

This is Kilkenny's hurling era of that that there is no doubt. There are plenty reasons cork are behind including county board issues but these things go in
    cycles so don't get too cocky.

Cork is the biggest population base in Munster and need a proper venue which can host events not just gaa. big matches also support the local economy and we can't be going to Killarney every year to play football or tipp in thurles. why bother on your logic give anything to Nowlan park? Can't ye drive up the motorway to Croke park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

don't get too cocky.

Yeah, if we take that from Cork, they'll have nothing left.

Also that poster is from Waterford.

Yeah, if we take that from Cork, they'll have nothing left.

Also that poster is from Waterford.

Sure with Waterford city expanding they'll take a good few kk lads.

Sure with Waterford city expanding they'll take a good few kk lads.

Sure what KK lad doesn't dream of one day having the chance to play down there?

brookville wrote: »
    I think if we win sunday we have possibly wexford or offally lose and it could be clare or limerick.I'm sure dublin and kk will experiment a bit knowing they are safe.I'd like to see a few fringe players getting a run out and more importantly tj and richie rested.joey has being excellent for us so far so his entitled to have a bad day but clare used the same tactic last year and paul murphy got roasted by o donnel.he had zero protection in front of him and maybe fogarty going off didn't help things.id like to see something like reid,pender,joey,jackie,shea,lennon,kennedy,lester, coady,colin,malone,maher, walter,kelly,bolger

Too many newcomers in that line up for my liking. I think Cody has got the balance generally right with about 3/4 newcomers mixed with the regulars. I wouldn't like a whole new half back line like you suggest. I would have Lennon, Maher, K Kelly and Chris Bolger starting. Any news on Fogarty?

Sure what KK lad doesn't dream of one day having the chance to play down there?

well the dream is croker or should be anyway. In Munster Killarney or thurles on Munster final day. let's face it the Leinster championship doesn't set the pulses racing in either code though at least Galway have added something.

Too many newcomers in that line up for my liking. I think Cody has got the balance generally right with about 3/4 newcomers mixed with the regulars. I wouldn't like a whole new half back line like you suggest. I would have Lennon, Maher, K Kelly and Chris Bolger starting. Any news on Fogarty?

Presume that was the team he wants for the Dublin match, not the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

anyone else like to see padraig walsh tried at midfield. definitely a spot there to be filled.also think cillian buckley isnt playing to his level yet. cody isnt a midfielder and like his dad may end up in the corner ( no dd jokes here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

Heard on kclr that fogarty's injury is just heavy/severe bruising to ankle, not broken.

Heard on kclr that fogarty's injury is just heavy/severe bruising to ankle, not broken.

That's good news. He's quiet and effective in midfield. Knows his role and works so hard to cover space and put the tackles in.

I'd say if you ask the players on the team, they'd value his role more so than any other player on the pitch but, as for the media, he'll not get the credit he deserves.

From corner back to midfield seamlessly - that tells it all.

Top player.

That's good news. He's quiet and effective in midfield. Knows his role and works so hard to cover space and put the tackles in.

I'd say if you ask the players on the team, they'd value his role more so than any other player on the pitch but, as for the media, he'll not get the credit he deserves.

Top player.

The amount of tackling and covering back he does is critical to the team, a vital cog in the machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It said on the paper yesterday that he will be back in three weeks.his presence was certainly missed last weekend helping out his defence.Robert lennon should also be available I'd like to see him again,hopefully hogan will be rested he doesn't look himself at all

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

The amount of tackling and covering back he does is critical to the team, a vital cog in the machine
    He must be starting to hate going down to Cork, thats two years in a row he has been injured by wild pulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Topcat32 wrote: »
    He must be starting to hate going down to Cork, thats two years in a row he has been injured by wild pulls.

What actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

deadybai wrote: »
    What actually happened?

Right at the throw in, the Cork midfielder pulled pretty wildly. Conor seemed to stick out his leg a bit to protect the ball and got it right across the leg. Wasnt really nasty, just wild, they were obviously wound up after the week before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Right at the throw in, the Cork midfielder pulled pretty wildly. Conor seemed to stick out his leg a bit to protect the ball and got it right across the leg. Wasnt really nasty, just wild, they were obviously wound up after the week before.

Not trying to excuse the pull but this is something that has come into the game in recent years and really annoys me. If you put your leg out at a throw in you should expect a belt. You see lads putting their hand up to catch without protecting themselves too knowing defenders will be penalised for pulling.

Not advocating dirty play but things are bad if you can't pull at a throw in or on a dropping ball.

this is something that has come into the game in recent years

Nothing recent about it. Lads have been pulling that trick as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Top player.

I wouldn't agree with that. I've heard various commentators give him credit for his performances. I think he is recognised as one of the best midfielders in the game at the moment. He has though been overlooked for an all star in the last couple of years. He must have been very close in 2014.

citykat wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that. I've heard various commentators give him credit for his performances. I think he is recognised as one of the best midfielders in the game at the moment. He has though been overlooked for an all star in the last couple of years. He must have been very close in 2014.

That's my point exactly...should have had an All Star by this stage, after his consistent performances this past few years. Media are the ones who pick them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil. v Dub.
    R Reid
    P Murphy J Holden B Kennedy
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    L Ryan D Cody
    W Walsh TJ Reid J Maher
    JJ Farrell J Power R Hogan
    Subs.
    A Murphy
    J Tyrrell
    S Prendergast
    C o Shea
    J Lyng
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    M Malone
    C Bolger
    L Blanchfield

• Advertisement

Kil. v Dub.
    R Reid
    P Murphy J Holden B Kennedy
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    L Ryan D Cody
    W Walsh TJ Reid J Maher
    JJ Farrell J Power R Hogan
    Subs.
    A Murphy
    J Tyrrell
    S Prendergast
    C o Shea
    J Lyng
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    M Malone
    C Bolger
    L Blanchfield

I'd probably rather a little more experimentation at the back but in terms of balancing experience with giving a few lads their shot at a place in championship, that's a fairly balanced team. You don't want to just throw in all the inexperienced players without having any good support. That said, do we really need to see hogan and Reid out again? Would imagine all five subs will be used. Would love to see blanchfield get a decent run. Serious talent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement