Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

dubcat51 wrote: »
    mullane hates us

His co-commentary on the Wexford match was as biased as a local radio station. Terrible stuff on RTE's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

redlead wrote: »
    It's 2017 lad!

I know. Just going on his newspaper articles.
    Seems to me he'd still like to have an influence on results of games with the garbage he writes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Yeah he's a super talent and been in with seniors over the league has brought him on even more, he was class Wednesday night and is one of a few really good young lads coming through!! The likes of Cleere, Billy Ryan and Luke Scanlon look to be great prospects aswell.

Cork really seemed to have turned the tide after a few lean years, the seniors are flying it and there are some really good young lads coming through, young Coleman seems to be a great talent!! How do you reckon they'll go at U-21 this year? Ye're minors look really good too, Turnbull (I think that's his name?) in the forwards looks a real prospect!!

Heard he had some injuries which held him back too? Serious looking player though. Bound to be talent serious emerging as per usual :rolleyes:

Massive buzz around the county with the hurlers. Even club games seem a step up from previous years, everything is competitive and at a high standard. Very healthy. 21s should be strong, you've a solid spine made up the senior lads alone. Coleman should be centre back, Fitzgibbon midfield, Meade and Kingston on the 40. Young Collins in goal is a serious prospect. Some nice forwards like Tim O Mahony from Newtown floating around.

Minors look to have something special in them. Missed the game midweek but my aul fella went and he said the crowd was something else for a midweek minor game and serious ability. Yeah Turnbull, serious operator, absolute sh*t hot...if he's managed well and doesn't burn out he'll walk onto 21s and senior. Connery and Downey look like gems as well. Talent and hurling all over the field though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

brookville wrote: »
    I'd say anybody not up to it will be in the bench after 10mins. Joyce, Lester and Kelly there ready to be thrown in.

Hopefully the ball falls well for Bolger and Alyward and they get a bit of luck.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes before throw in,glad to see leahy on the bench

Agreed and I believe there will be three changes made to the team announced....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Burial. wrote: »
    Heard he had some injuries which held him back too? Serious looking player though. Bound to be talent serious emerging as per usual :rolleyes:

Massive buzz around the county with the hurlers. Even club games seem a step up from previous years, everything is competitive and at a high standard. Very healthy. 21s should be strong, you've a solid spine made up the senior lads alone. Coleman should be centre back, Fitzgibbon midfield, Meade and Kingston on the 40. Young Collins in goal is a serious prospect. Some nice forwards like Tim O Mahony from Newtown floating around.

Minors look to have something special in them. Missed the game midweek but my aul fella went and he said the crowd was something else for a midweek minor game and serious ability. Yeah Turnbull, serious operator, absolute sh*t hot...if he's managed well and doesn't burn out he'll walk onto 21s and senior. Connery and Downey look like gems as well. Talent and hurling all over the field though.

Could be great to see kk and cork with good young skill full teams over the next couple of years, hopefully it'll be start of another great rivalry, the way things are going it could easily be kk and cork minor and U-21 finals this year, it mightn't be a bad bet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny Team v Waterford. 1 E Murphy- 2 P Murphy- 3 P Walsh- 4 J Holden- 5 C Fogarty- 6 C Buckley- 7 J Lyng- 8 M Fennelly- 9 P Deegan- 10 C Bolger- 11 W Walsh- 12 T J Reid- 13 R Hogan- 14 C Fennelly- 15 G Aylward.16 R Reid- 17 K Joyce- 18 S Prendergast- 19 R Lennon- 20 L Ryan- 21 O Walsh- 22 K Kelly- 23 J Farrell- 24 M Bergin- 25 L Blanchfield- 26 R Leahy.

Would have liked to see both Leahy and Kelly starting, but at least we have 3 serious attacking options on the bench, with Lester there too. Alyward is very lucky to be getting a third start as he been poor so far. Hopefully he can step up and show his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

JimTreacy wrote: »
    keep the day job been a comieden is a none runner for you.

Wouldn't be rushing into a career in teaching if I was you :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

danganabu wrote: »
    I wouldn't think at this stage of my life teaching is only for people who like a part time job.

noserider wrote: »
    Best of luck to starting 15, may see some changes to that named. Let's get fully behind the lads. Put it up to WD and the likes of Mullane.
    Class is permanent
    Mullane serious problem there with the land grab feels Ferrybank should be in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

v3ttel wrote: »
    Would have liked to see both Leahy and Kelly starting, but at least we have 3 serious attacking options on the bench, with Lester there too. Alyward is very lucky to be getting a third start as he been poor so far. Hopefully he can step up and show his talent.

Possibly the correct thing in starting the same team but aylward and bolger have to perform in the 1st 20 mins. Leahy, lester, kelly and Joyce primed to enter the fray. Good low ball to moving forwards is key to a winning score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

danganabu wrote: »

'If I were you', I would think is the correct usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think we're right to start with the same team again, and with Kelly, Lester and Leahy on the bench it gives us some impact when lads begin to tire. It would have been nice to see Cleere get a run but I'm assuming the injury he picked up before half time the other night has flared up after the game.

Hopefully we see a performance like we got on the last 2 days we've been to Thurles. Hopefully we can use Wally like we did in the replay last year and get him running from midfield at the Waterford defence, try and get Colin one on one with with Coughlan like we did last year. I think it could be set up for Leahy and Kelly coming off the bench when the game starts to get a bit stretched near the end, hopefully we get a performance and more importantly a win!!

One thing I would be worried about to night is that Waterford be allowed play like they did in the league match last spring, I would be worried for the likes of Bolger it would be no good for his confidence or the team if players are been brought off after twenty minutes .Hopefully things will go well have a good night in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

JimTreacy wrote:
    One thing I would be worried about to night is that Waterford be allowed play like they did in the league match last spring, I would be worried for the likes of Bolger it would be no good for his confidence or the team if players are been brought off after twenty minutes .Hopefully things will go well have a good night in Thurles.

Your dead right it would be no good for his confidence but he has a chance to nail down a jersey now. It's up him to win a couple of balls in 1st 20 minutes. Management can't leave him(or anyone!) on if things not going well. Stakes too high at this stage. Having said that I think he'll grab a goal and maybe a point or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Having said that I think he'll grab a goal and maybe a point or 2.

I think Cody has finally gone off his baldy head altogether starting Bolger, he's cat!

Waterford by 5.

Motivator wrote:
    I think Cody has finally gone off his baldy head altogether starting Bolger, he's cat!

Motivator wrote:
    Waterford by 5.

Good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Bolger will be disappointed he didn't put away two goal chances V Limerick. I'd be more worried about him if he wasn't getting in to the right positions. Hopefully he puts one away today.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Bolger, Aylward and Holden aren't starting. 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Leahy starting

Bolger, Aylward and Holden aren't starting. 100%.

Who's meant to be in?
    Joyce, Lester, Leahy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Kelly, Lennon and Blanchefield

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Lads, coming out and telling who's starting is only betraying confidences made between players and management and players and close friends. So it would be good if people learned to keep people confidences, to themselves.

Don't think Leahy should start, last 25 mins is the best time for him if at all. He's not strong enough for senior yet, and the game should open up in the latter part of the game.

Would put Holden on Brick or Shanahan. Holdens better suited to dealing with the bigger more physical players than Walsh. And Holden has a knack of getting the Hurley out, tapping the ball to the ground snd making the forward play off the deck. Doesn't work against Callanan as he's good on the ground, but Brick isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Im fairly sure it's Kelly, Lennon and Blanchefield in

Don't know if you are trying to wind up everyone but if lennon starts we could be in all sorts of trouble. Padraig, Paul murphy, buckley and Fogarty ate certain. I would have liked to have seen cleere, joyce or lyng in in for the remaining two places.

Best of luck to the lads this evening. The creation and convetsion of goal chances is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kk will have to improve a lot on their last three performances to be in with a shout today

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

blackcard wrote: »
    Kk will have to improve a lot on their last three performances to be in with a shout today

Waterford are not exactly flying in the championship either though!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I think he will start the team named. We need options off the bench. Lester Kevin Joyce gives us that. Also Leahy is a good option in last 15.

Lads going on here about playing the likes of Leahy, Delaney,Cleere etc need to give these players time. Yes they good at U21 level but are not ready to start at senior. They need the winter in the gym. I'm excited for the future. Whatever we do this year is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Lennon and Farrell starting......

Bizarre changes to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

JaffaP wrote: »
    Lennon and Farrell starting......

Bizarre changes to be honest.

It's very strange when looking from the outside.

If he wants physicality, why not start Joyce instead of Lennon.

And starting Farrell is a complete bolt from the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Great win for camogie girls today.lets hope the seniors cap off what would be a great week.

• Advertisement

We are pure and utter she*te so far

Waterford should have this game already wrapped up. They will have to absolutely capitulate in the second half for us to win.

Our first touch is abysmal.

Our ball into the forwards is even worse than it was in the Wexford & Limerick games.

We seem to have no game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Winter is coming

1-5 from one half is an awful return. Forwards just haven't clicked at all yet this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The worst half of hurling I've ever seen from Kilkenny, Waterford will beat us by double figures .

Our only, only chance is if we run at the Waterford defence and go for goals. But our players don't have the touch or off-the-ball running game to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

kksaints wrote: »
    1-5 from one half is an awful return. Forwards just haven't clicked at all yet this season.

Event more sobering that it's just 0-2 from play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

kksaints wrote: »

And the 1 was a penalty :(

For the first 8 minutes of the second half we started playing well with some good passing and shot selection. Since then we've reverted to type with long aimless balls down the field.

Just over 10 minutes left. The lads are playing for pride now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ya never have Kilkenny beaten until the final whistle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

great comeback lads , expect ye to push on now , would be some win considering how bad things have been going up to the last 10 minutes of the game

I actually cannot believe we have brought this to extra time. Waterford completely bottled it. They shat their pants.

Anybody's game now. I just hope we use the ball cleverly in ET. No stupid shots... Try and pick out a player with a pass.

Lester has made a new difference in the second half. He has some good movement and running, looks for a pass, tries to use the ball instead of aimlessly hitting (except one particular long range shot but that's all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Waterford to win!

Can never question the spirit of this team even when they're not playing well but Waterford should never have let an eight point lead slip.

Padraig Walsh has had nightmare of a match so I'm worried about him in ET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Young Leahy looks a very good player

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KKalltheway

Bye, bye, Cats !!!!
    Good post

Disappointing end to a disappointing season. Can only pull it out of the fire so often. Changes needed for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Walsh should not have been full back he just doesn't know how to play there, Hoden should have been, roll on next year, this team need a rest, they just had no hunger left in them. Fair play to Buckley he carried that team. Deegan is not intercounty standard, end of. Forwards showed no bottle and were bullied all day by Waterford off the ball. Can't see that Waterford side winning an all Ireland, a very poor KK team nearly beat them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement