Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Dionysis wrote: »
    What ever happened Colum Prendervile from G' Ballycallan?

Sub for the intermediates I think..he was on the minor team last year was it?think he played basketball for ireland a few years ago.
    Is daniel o connor from olg hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

He was supposed to be talented enough and a big man at that, yeah? And great in the air as well, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

brookville wrote:
    Is daniel o connor from olg hurling?

Did someone here mention a cruciate injury for him awhile back.

Did someone here mention a cruciate injury for him awhile back.

Think that was 2 years ago or was it last year?didn't see him listed at all last year for olg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

Who is left for the summer ?

U21 v Antrim
    Minors v ??
    Intermediate Hurlers v Cork when ?
    Footballers playing Meath, When?

Be doing well to win one of these ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Village87 wrote: »

U21 v Antrim
    Minors v ??

Minors will play the winners of Galway V Clare which is this Saturday in Cork before the Tipp v Clare game - the semi will be played before the Galway senior semi.

Intermediate game is this Sunday in Cork, curtain raiser to Waterford v Wexford.

danganabu wrote: »
    Minors will play the winners of Galway V Clare which is this Saturday in Cork before the Tipp v Clare game - the semi will be played before the Galway senior semi.

Intermediate game is this Sunday in Cork, curtain raiser to Waterford v Wexford.

I think the u21s are our best bet while limerick are justified favourites they still have to beat cork and Galway before getting to the final.We are improving but still have more to give.
    We have to settle on a number 4 maybe doheny or lawlor if they recover from injury.
    John walsh would be a huge help and if blanch can find some form it'd be great.
    Alan murphy has dissapointed me apart from frees

brookville wrote: »
    I think the u21s are our best bet while limerick are justified favourites they still have to beat cork and Galway before getting to the final.We are improving but still have more to give.
    We have to settle on a number 4 maybe doheny or lawlor if they recover from injury.

John Walsh is way ahead of Alan Murphy anytime i have ever seen them play, be it club or county.

John Walsh is way ahead of Alan Murphy anytime i have ever seen them play, be it club or county.

Agreed but Murphy is a good free taker and walsh has being injured hopefully he can get back fit it would be dangerous ff line walsh,ryan blanch if all 3 were playing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

U21 v Antrim
    Minors v ??

The footballers are playing Meath in Nowlan Park on Saturday, would be great to see a bit of a crowd turn up for it!! Fair play to Meath too for giving us home advantage. Hard to know how the match will go, whoever wins it would be hard to see either of them winning the final where more than likely they'd be playing a very strong Kerry team. Would be great for football in the county if we could get to an all Ireland final though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah I'd agree with you re the number 4 position, is have Lawlor or Doheny there ahead of Burke. Personally I'd go with Lawlor back there as I think he's a better defender than Doheny and he'd also bring a bit of physicality back there aswell. Would agree with you that Murphy has been poor from open play so far this year but there's a lot to be said for having a free taker as accurate as Murphy is, and I don't think we have another free taker as good as him on the panel.

The footballers are playing Meath in Nowlan Park on Saturday, would be great to see a bit of a crowd turn up for it!! Fair play to Meath too for giving us home advantage. Hard to know how the match will go, whoever wins it would be hard to see either of them winning the final where more than likely they'd be playing a very strong Kerry team. Would be great for football in the county if we could get to an all Ireland final though.

Unlikely with the game scheduled as the same time as Tipp v Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah I'd agree with you re the number 4 position, is have Lawlor or Doheny there ahead of Burke. Personally I'd go with Lawlor back there as I think he's a better defender than Doheny and he'd also bring a bit of physicality back there aswell. Would agree with you that Murphy has been poor from open play so far this year but there's a lot to be said for having a free taker as accurate as Murphy is, and I don't think we have another free taker as good as him on the panel.

I'd have to disagree with you about Conor Doheny. In the first game against Dublin he has probably going to pick up the Man of the Match except for an special display from Billy Ryan and Doheny having to go off injured mid-way through the second half. He also was hurling very well against Westmeath before again being injured just before half time and Mullen replacing him. As far as I'm aware both injuries were inflicted on him and not as a result of his conditioning. Doheny is a very tigerish and neat defender. I'm not taking anything away from Huw Lawlor but I personally wouldn't put Huw in the corner to be honest I wouldn't put Conor their either but thats down to the management.

The U21's had their first session last week and apparently it went really well especially with all the senior lads back in with them now for every session. Jason Cleere picked up a hand injury and will be sidelined for a few weeks but their hopeful he'll make the semi as long as there is no set back.

I'd have to disagree with you about Conor Doheny. In the first game against Dublin he has probably going to pick up the Man of the Match except for an special display from Billy Ryan and Doheny having to go off injured mid-way through the second half. He also was hurling very well against Westmeath before again being injured just before half time and Mullen replacing him. As far as I'm aware both injuries were inflicted on him and not as a result of his conditioning. Doheny is a very tigerish and neat defender. I'm not taking anything away from Huw Lawlor but I personally wouldn't put Huw in the corner to be honest I wouldn't put Conor their either but thats down to the management.

The U21's had their first session last week and apparently it went really well especially with all the senior lads back in with them now for every session. Jason Cleere picked up a hand injury and will be sidelined for a few weeks but their hopeful he'll make the semi as long as there is no set back.

I agree bout him being tigerish and a tidy defender but I thought he wasn't great against Westmeath and was he not the spare man?either way I do think he has potential.i do think we need a number 4 bergin wasn't to bad but burke hasnt being impressive.
    What's the injury update on doheny and lawlor?

I agree bout him being tigerish and a tidy defender but I thought he wasn't great against Westmeath and was he not the spare man?either way I do think he has potential.i do think we need a number 4 bergin wasn't to bad but burke hasnt being impressive.
    What's the injury update on doheny and lawlor?

I don't know if he was the spare man it was hard to tell on TV but he won more than his fair share of ball that went down the right wing against Westmeath I thought anyway. As far as his injury goes it was pretty serious but he seems to be making a good recovery. Apparently he's not being ruled out for the semi but is unlikely to make it in time. I don't know the extent of Lawlors injury but from the bit I heard I think he should be in the mix for the semifinal unless he has a set back.

• Advertisement

I see that the club fixtures are down from the 11th-13th of next month and the u21 down a week later the 19th and the minor on a week earlier the 6th.I'm a small bit surprised there's a round a week before the semi u21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

I see that the club fixtures are down from the 11th-13th of next month and the u21 down a week later the 19th and the minor on a week earlier the 6th.I'm a small bit surprised there's a round a week before the semi u21

We're playing Antrim, which to be fair means we'll have one of the easiest games of the year. A round of clubs games the week before is only going to ensure their first touch and fitness has been tested before the match.

Can't understand why there isn't a round before the minor myself, there's a chance to run off the championships early, even have senior one week, Junior/intermediate the next to maximise revenue.

randd1 wrote: »
    We're playing Antrim, which to be fair means we'll have one of the easiest games of the year. A round of clubs games the week before is only going to ensure their first touch and fitness has been tested before the match.

Can't understand why there isn't a round before the minor myself, there's a chance to run off the championships early, even have senior one week, Junior/intermediate the next to maximise revenue.

I know,your probably right,it's a pity there wasn't a round this week or next but with the football it couldn't be done,best of luck to the footballers this weekend and fair play to the lads for the effort

I heard down at the club the other night was that fixtures have been set since Feb/ March and that many players had holidays booked for this and next week as there was originally a club game fixed for the same weekend as Kilkenny v Waterford, it would have been very messy on club players to throw in a fixture between then and August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

randd1 wrote: »

Derry U21's beat Antrim this evening. Was at it. Derry now play Down in Final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

The best of luck to the intermediate team on Sunday in the all Ireland its a pity this grade is not taken more serious by other counties. We are playing the winners of Derry v Down in the u21 semi final that will probably be played in parnell park or some other grounds half way, a lot of work going on with the development of hurling in Derry.

JimTreacy wrote: »
    The best of luck to the intermediate team on Sunday in the all Ireland its a pity this grade is not taken more serious by other counties. We are playing the winners of Derry v Down in the u21 semi final that will probably be played in parnell park or some other grounds half way, a lot of work going on with the development of hurling in Derry.

Good few Slaughtneil lads are on board and are making a big difference. The seniors had a good run this year and won the Nicky Rackard this year - need to play regularly in Christy Ring. If everyone commits, Christy Ring will get a good rattle in 2018.

Regards the U21's, whoever comes out of Ulster will be up against it. In fairness, with previous results, maybe a B competition should be looked at as it's tough for the Ulster teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

During their warm ups this year, KK players balanced on one leg, hopped and landed on the same foot, balanced and then hopped again. After a while, they repeated this exercise on their other leg. Anyone know the purpose of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Builds power in your legs launching off one leg and core by sticking the landing. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Gets the glutes activated as well.
    Has Kilkenny intermediate team been named yet?

Edit: never mind thought today was Friday for some reason!

blackcard wrote: »
    During their warm ups this year, KK players balanced on one leg, hopped and landed on the same foot, balanced and then hopped again. After a while, they repeated this exercise on their other leg. Anyone know the purpose of this?
    I asked the same question earlier nobody gave me an answer about it ,who was the man that worked with the subs during the matches warming up.

blackcard wrote: »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://learning.gaa.ie/sites/default/files/GAA-15-Warm-Up.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiC5Pip6JjVAhVDKcAKHae1BqEQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNHQGpTrFhYWr5rM-oY0QYNWULRQyA

GAA 15 warmup - there are more like this. Most teams do them now in the warmup.

Friday evening after training.

Edit: never mind thought today was Friday for some reason!

surely the same as the last day bar injuries

Can lads like Michael Walsh from Gowran and John Power Carrickshock play ?
    #

• Advertisement

Can lads like Michael Walsh from Gowran and John Power Carrickshock play ?
    #

They could but they picked a panel that committed at the start and going with them.it'd be unfair if lads like conor martin,michael walsh,kevin farrell started instead of those already there,cork have a few ex county lads and a good record at this level we'll probably be up against it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Good luck to the Kilkenny Junior Footballers versus Meath on Saturday in Nowlan Park.
    It will be interesting to watch the level of fitness of these lads.
    I see DJ Carey's under-14 footballers are playing Carlow beforehand as well

Intermediate team named for the Final
    Kil. v Cork
    D Aylward
    N Doherty G Teehan D Prendergast
    B Whelan C Fleming J Cahill
    JP Treacy M Keoghan P Holden
    D Brennan capt. E Delaney
    S Carey M Power R Donnelly
    Subs
    D Phelan
    E Egan
    V Costello
    J Power
    C Prendiville
    L Hickey
    T Phelan
    D Walsh
    N Walsh

Throw-in on Sunday afternoon is 2pm

Cork

Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)

Brian O’Sullivan (Fermoy) Shane O’Donovan (Mayfield – captain) Shane Hegarty (Dungourney)
    Kieran Morrison (Fermoy)Donnacha O’Donovan (Ballinhassig)Kevin Kavanagh (Carrigaline)

Danny O’Flynn (Charleville)Michael Collins (Ballinhassig)

Darren Casey (Charleville) Nicky Kelly (Mayfield) Gerry O’Neill (Courecy Rovers)
    Sean Hayes (Mallow) Willie Leahy (Aghada) David Drake (Carrigaline)

Subs
    Aidan Long (Mallow)
    Alan Dennehy (Charleville)
    Tom Lawrence (Brian Dillons)
    Ciaran O’Brien (St Ita’s)
    Lorcan O’Neill (Kanturk)
    John Cooper (Éire Óg)
    Rob O’Shea (Carrigtwohill)
    Noel McNamara (Kilworth)
    Mark Kennefick (Ballygarvan)

Intermediate team named for the Final
    Kil. v Cork
    D Aylward
    N Doherty G Teehan D Prendergast
    B Whelan C Fleming J Cahill
    JP Treacy M Keoghan P Holden
    D Brennan capt. E Delaney
    S Carey M Power R Donnelly
    Subs
    D Phelan
    E Egan
    V Costello
    J Power
    C Prendiville
    L Hickey
    T Phelan
    D Walsh
    N Walsh

Throw-in on Sunday afternoon is 2pm

Cork

Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)

Brian O’Sullivan (Fermoy) Shane O’Donovan (Mayfield – captain) Shane Hegarty (Dungourney)
    Kieran Morrison (Fermoy)Donnacha O’Donovan (Ballinhassig)Kevin Kavanagh (Carrigaline)

Danny O’Flynn (Charleville)Michael Collins (Ballinhassig)

Darren Casey (Charleville) Nicky Kelly (Mayfield) Gerry O’Neill (Courecy Rovers)
    Sean Hayes (Mallow) Willie Leahy (Aghada) David Drake (Carrigaline)

Subs
    Aidan Long (Mallow)
    Alan Dennehy (Charleville)
    Tom Lawrence (Brian Dillons)
    Ciaran O’Brien (St Ita’s)
    Lorcan O’Neill (Kanturk)
    John Cooper (Éire Óg)
    Rob O’Shea (Carrigtwohill)
    Noel McNamara (Kilworth)
    Mark Kennefick (Ballygarvan)

Fleming at 6 for kk and kelly at 11 for cork could be a good tussle I think Kelly was man of the match when they beat mooncoin back in February.
    Best of luck to both our teams this wknd we'll be up against it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Meath won 2-19 to 2-8. Decent scoring from the lads against what would have been far superior opposition

Well done to the senior camogie team who comprehensively beat Dublin today by 3-14 to 0-8 and topped their group in the process. That means they are straight through to the semi-finals.

Cork won the other group. The quarter-finals, which will be played on August 5, will see Galway play Tipperary while Wexford will take on Dublin.

http://m.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273376

Good discussion with Tommy Walsh and former Wexford hurler Diarmuid Lyng on Off the Ball last night.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/888489760444092416

I didn't think Tommy would be that great on radio but he's really good to listen to. Although I can understand if people outside of KK and neighbouring countries haven't a clue what he's saying :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Good discussion with Tommy Walsh and former Wexford hurler Diarmuid Lyng on Off the Ball last night.

I didn't think Tommy would be that great on radio but he's really good to listen to. Although I can understand if people outside of KK and neighbouring countries haven't a clue what he's saying :pac:

People from neighbouring townlands might struggle with the Tullaroan dialect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KK 1-18 cork 1-15 here in PUC. 10 mins left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

2-19 to 1-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Congratulations to the Intermediate lads. Nice to beat Cork in Cork on their opening weekend

Great win in Cork, well done to all kilkenny teams that represented the County this weekend.

Congratulations to the Intermediate lads. Nice to beat Cork in Cork on their opening weekend

A new panel and a lot of lads not committing it's a good result granted only 3 teams entering the competition.
    Hopefully the u25 competition is a success if it goes ahead next year and all counties enter it

Hopefully the u25 competition is a success if it goes ahead next year and all counties enter it

What is the situation with the U-25 competition. Was it proposed for Leinster by GAA HQ? Or was it just that Munster counties (except Cork) didn't want to play intermediate so they came up with an U-25 competition instead?

It's sad that the intermediate series went from 8 teams to 3 this year.

Is it not good to see players like Niall Doherty getting there day in the sun, as regards three teams entering it is a pity you don't here people complaining from outside the County like when we don't play football.

• Advertisement

JimTreacy wrote: »
    Is it not good to see players like Niall Doherty getting there day in the sun, as regards three teams entering it is a pity you don't here people complaining from outside the County like when we don't play football.

Surely to god counties like carlow;westmeath,offally etc could enter teams
    Just thinking of a few players we could of had for this competition who weren't involved with any county team,
    Dylan walsh,willie phelan,brian kennedy,James gannon,James maher,Joe brennan,sean kehoe,shane murphy,pat on carroll
    Most of the above around the 25/26 mark some have senior experience others are good club hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I see the under 21s will be playing Derry in the All Ireland Semi Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Topcat32 wrote: »

Thought the final was this Wednesday, was it brought forward?

Brian017 wrote: »
    Topcat32 wrote: »

Thought the final was this Wednesday, was it brought forward?

Ulster Final is this Wednesday - Derry V Down in Corrigan Park, Belfast.

Tommy was at the Ulster Hurling Coaching Day in Garvaghey yesterday. It was an All Kilkenny Day with Hogie, D.J., Jackie and Michael Rice. Great day out under the direction of Martin Fogarty.

Tommy has a great way with him - very good at getting the points across...and everybody understood him!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement