Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Have 2 say tommy is brillant on the radio.as for waterford and wexford I never want to hear of kk playing a sweeper would give up going if it ever came to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

Whats this it reminds me of school everybody gets one hundred lines, posts taking down it came from a source that won there way into all Ireland semifinal. How many semifinals have they won in the last twenty years the answer to that is well known we all know what happened in that all Ireland get over it mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

JimTreacy wrote: »
    Whats this it reminds me of school everybody gets one hundred lines, posts taking down it came from a source that won there way into all Ireland semifinal. How many semifinals have they won in the last twenty years the answer to that is well known we all know what happened in that all Ireland get over it mate.

Who are you talking to? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Who are you talking to? :confused:

The post that he is talking about has being deleted. There was a Waterford supporter baiting us over the Intermediate AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Is it not good to see players like Niall Doherty getting there day in the sun, as regards three teams entering it is a pity you don't here people complaining from outside the County like when we don't play football.

the intermediate was changed back to exclusively intermediate and junior players so all the countys with limited playing numbers pulled out

Tipp didn't field in either under 25 or intermediate
    clare limerick and Waterford played under 25 with limerick winning (using an exclusively under 21 team of which only 5 started v Tipp in the 21s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Good win for intermediates yesterday ......no reason now why junior championship can not be run off as quick as possible ....but email sent to clubs last week that it wont be brought forward because of 21its a joke the u21 have 3 players from junior clubs on extended panel ....same last year emeralds had one player on extended senior panel championship held up until late december ....... its a absolute joke ....junior club players have 2 matches all summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭red_diesel

Anybody know when the senior county final is due to be played this year? Normally the last weekend in October but with the seniors out is it likely to be brought forward? I remember in 2013 it was played around the end of October also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

davidx40 wrote: »
    Good win for intermediates yesterday ......no reason now why junior championship can not be run off as quick as possible ....but email sent to clubs last week that it wont be brought forward because of 21its a joke the u21 have 3 players from junior clubs on extended panel ....same last year emeralds had one player on extended senior panel championship held up until late december ....... its a absolute joke ....junior club players have 2 matches all summer

What about the lads who have holidays and weddings booked on the basis of the original fixture schedule? Should they be ignored as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

red_diesel wrote: »
    Anybody know when the senior county final is due to be played this year? Normally the last weekend in October but with the seniors out is it likely to be brought forward? I remember in 2013 it was played around the end of October also.

I'm near certain it's end of October

brookville wrote: »
    I'm near certain it's end of October
    Its allways around the October bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Great win for Derry U21's tonight V Down in Belfast - won by 14pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Where will the semi final be played ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Where will the semi final be played ?

Normally the semi-finals are a double header in Thurles.

They are scheduled for Saturday August 19th.
    I would guesstimate the throw-in times will be 4pm (KK vs Derry) and 6pm (Limerick vs. Galway).

Normally the semi-finals are a double header in Thurles.

They are scheduled for Saturday August 19th.
    I would guesstimate the throw-in times will be 4pm (KK vs Derry) and 6pm (Limerick vs. Galway).

Is it possible derry could request the match for somewhere like paranell park?

From 2012 to 2016 the semi-finals have always been played as a double header in Thurles and obviously always include a team from Ulster, albeit it has been Antrim not Derry.

In 2011, the semi-final involving Antrim was played in Newry, but that made perfect sense as the opposition was Dublin.

In 2010, it was a double header in Tullamore.

In 2009, Antrim vs KK was in Meath. The other semi-final was in Thurles.

I haven't gone back any earlier than that.

It would probably make sense to play our match in Meath rather than Parnell Park. And Galway vs Limerick in Ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

Delighted for Derry, making a great effort, iv heard over the years Antrim only had a few sessions before the All Ireland Semi Final. Great for Derry and what hard work does, hopefully they can take a moral defeat from Kilkenny

It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Village87 wrote: »
    Delighted for Derry, making a great effort, iv heard over the years Antrim only had a few sessions before the All Ireland Semi Final. Great for Derry and what hard work does, hopefully they can take a moral defeat from Kilkenny
    I wonder about you sometimes.

Fair chance they will.look to play somewhere else as antrim wernt happy having to travel to thurles last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Like Westmeath did last year for example :D

Derry have 10 players from slaughtneil so no surprise really in them winning ulster.believe they are happy to play in thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

No game is won on paper and to suggest that Derry will be losing to Kilkenny is bordering on arrogance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Kenajonn wrote: »
    No game is won on paper and to suggest that Derry will be losing to Kilkenny is bordering on arrogance.

no it's not, it is realistic. Kilkenny would win if they played their second team against Derry. That's just the way it is. Its not an intent to be disrespectful to Derry, but Kilkenny will win the game by 15+ if they make a half an effort at it. Derry will lose to Kilkenny. You will not be seen as arrogant to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Kilkenny would beat Derry with a one armed team

bruschi wrote: »
    no it's not, it is realistic. Kilkenny would win if they played their second team against Derry.
    pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Kilkenny would beat Derry with a one armed team

You have both seen Derry play I assume??

• Advertisement

A lot of pressure on our u21s this year ,I certainly wouldn't be making comments like village 87 he would be the first person to cut a player down to size if they didn't perform as can been seen in his posts. Its a long drive down from Derry to Thurles for supporters I though they would play it half way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

To be fair, he said "hopefully", I took it to mean also that hopefully they don't actually beat us.

I don't think you'd need to be an expert on Derry hurling to know that anything less than a comprehensive victory would be a massive blow, and embarassment, to Kilkenny hurling, Slaughtneil players on the team notwithstanding.

A lot of pressure on our u21s this year ,I certainly wouldn't be making comments like village 87 he would be the first person to cut a player down to size if they didn't perform as can been seen in his posts. Its a long drive down from Derry to Thurles for supporters I though they would play it half way.

There's no doubt it's the handier side of the draw but when you look at what happened last year we cant be complacent,I'm sure they'll be aggressive,physical and probably defensive so I'm sure they'll be warned.
    Don't forget antrim beat a wexford 3 in a row leinster team.
    Just a question for village 87.what's the story is mikey drennan will he hurl senior for the village this year?he was great underage before going to play soccer I know he played junior last year.

I was up north the last week.derry not worried about thurles as they have never been at this stage.they have some decent players and are fit and physical.how they cope with the occasion and the step up in class will be interesting.wouldnt take them for granted(not after westmeath)

dubcat51 wrote: »
    I was up north the last week.derry not worried about thurles as they have never been at this stage.they have some decent players and are fit and physical.how they cope with the occasion and the step up in class will be interesting.wouldnt take them for granted(not after westmeath)

No way any team at that level could be taking for granted limerick were unbeatable the other night according to the bookies but only won by 2.
    If they set up defensive and smoother our forwards we could find problems,we do struggle with packed defences.
    The only thing is lads like cleere and tommy Walsh can score from distance.
    It would be a bigger shock than last year if were to lose I'd be hopefull we'll have our homework done.
    What's our chances next sunday in the minor?Galway will be strong and will have good support.I'm sure mullen will be closely watched although it was good to see a few others getting a few scores.it'd be great to get to a minor final.we should of bet galway in the 15 minor semi final.we'd 2 chances

• Advertisement

No way any team at that level could be taking for granted limerick were unbeatable the other night according to the bookies but only won by 2.
    If they set up defensive and smoother our forwards we could find problems,we do struggle with packed defences.
    The only thing is lads like cleere and tommy Walsh can score from distance.
    It would be a bigger shock than last year if were to lose I'd be hopefull we'll have our homework done.
    What's our chances next sunday in the minor?Galway will be strong and will have good support.I'm sure mullen will be closely watched although it was good to see a few others getting a few scores.it'd be great to get to a minor final.we should of bet galway in the 15 minor semi final.we'd 2 chances
    Hopefully we can beat galway and get to the final(robbed by the ref v galway in 15 both games)cork will be favs to bt dublin in other semi and be favourites to win out.however I think we have a crackin chance.

There's no doubt it's the handier side of the draw but when you look at what happened last year we cant be complacent,I'm sure they'll be aggressive,physical and probably defensive so I'm sure they'll be warned.
    Don't forget antrim beat a wexford 3 in a row leinster team.
    Just a question for village 87.what's the story is mikey drennan will he hurl senior for the village this year?he was great underage before going to play soccer I know he played junior last year.

He will be close to breaking on the team, can play well one day not so well another day, inconsistent.. Showing good form lately

Kilkenny will beat Derry i just hope Derry put up a good performance after putting in a lot of work to win Ulster. Antrim letting things slip up north by not giving u21 and minor the effort it needs.

Good man Jim, Kilkenny have been struggling this year, and i just think some of the players are overrated and some underrated. I express my views here as it is a forum.

I dont think i have been to far off the mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Derry for the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Kilkenny will beat Derry i just hope Derry put up a good performance after putting in a lot of work to win Ulster. Antrim letting things slip up north by not giving u21 and minor the effort it needs.

Good man Jim, Kilkenny have been struggling this year, and i just think some of the players are overrated and sorame underrated. I express my views here as it is a forum.

Who is underrated?

Good man Jim, Kilkenny have been struggling this year, and i just think some of the players are overrated and some underrated. I express my views here as it is a forum.

So when it is a forum you feel you have a right to take your frustration. out on every player manager in the County hide behind your screen. The best of luck with the minors on Sunday management , players , etc.

So when it is a forum you feel you have a right to take your frustration. out on every player manager in the County hide behind your screen. The best of luck with the minors on Sunday management , players , etc.

I didnt take my frustration out on any player manager..

If you read my posts from the start of the year, i named a few players who i thought needed to step up to the plate after an indifferent year last year, they were Conor Fogarty and Paul Murphy. The 2 lads had a poor year along with others, i also thought Kilkenny made poor choices on the line and decision making on the field.

Anyway the year is over so its time to move on and bring new blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am not expecting much changes on the minor team from the team that won the Leinster Final. Galway have a very good team based on their comprehensive victory over Clare. Kilkenny were very dependent on Adrian Mullen and Sean Ryan for scores in their last match and will need a bigger contribution from the other forwards. Kilkenny had a number of scoring opportunities against Dublin for the half forwards but either carried the ball too far or passed to a colleague in a worse position.
    Jordan Molloy and Niall Brassil look good prospects for the future.

blackcard wrote: »
    I am not expecting much changes on the minor team from the team that won the Leinster Final. Galway have a very good team based on their comprehensive victory over Clare. Kilkenny were very dependent on Adrian Mullen and Sean Ryan for scores in their last match and will need a bigger contribution from the other forwards. Kilkenny had a number of scoring opportunities against Dublin for the half forwards but either carried the ball too far or passed to a colleague in a worse position.
    Jordan Molloy and Niall Brassil look good prospects for the future.

It was a weak Clare team to be honest, what was impressive from Galway though was that it was their first outing and invariably minor team will improve exponentially from their first outing. Cork, Galway and Kilkenny look very strong this year and should be very interesting.

Martin Fogarty was around with the greatest team ever, he knew when to leave, his loss is pale in significance to all the players that departed over the last 5 years.

As i stated way back the leaders have not stepped up, Paul Murphy should be one of the main men leading this team, i seen a photo of him in front of the Kilkenny people this week parading around with a horse in Nowlan Park, would he not be more suited to keep his head down on concentrate on trying to get a good performance. He has been a disgrace towards the end of last year and this year. His basic skills of the game leaves a lot to be desired, average club hurlers have way more skill.

Conor Fogarty the same, missing again, poor aerial ability and mobility, very robotic in his hurling. These 2 lads are lucky Kilkenny have no bench.

Is there any better backs in the county than the backs the weekend, fair play to Buckley got a few blocks in and looked the part, the others are just barely surviving, and they played against 5 forwards.

Kilkenny have maybe 4 hurlers who have the required skill levels to play at the highest level. TJ, Richie, Buckley, Kevin Kelly, Padraig Walsh, Mick Fennelly.

Some of the others standard is at Christy Ring level, Paul Murphy, Fogarty, O Shea, Deegan, Wally Walsh, Jonjo Farrell, Colin Fennelly, Blanchfield.

Has to be time to bring in lads like Billy Ryan & John Walsh, Luke Scanlon, skillful players, need these lads going forward and have your 2 r 3 lads like Wally & Colin Fennelly maybe Deegan to win hard ball around them
    Did you say stuff like this, did you not say that the village would be there after Cody goes it probably would but give respect to what he and his family did for the James stephans hurling club.

• Advertisement

Strange feeling as the semi-finals of the SHC approach. Only once since 1996 have KK not been involved in the semi-finals. Indeed, only once since 2005 have we not got to the AI, twice since 2001 and three times since 1997. We will never see the likes again.
    Of the four remaining counties, my order of who I would like to win would be 1) Galway 2) Tipperary 3) Cork 4) Waterford.
    Galway and Tipp because of the brand of hurling they play. Waterford last because of the brand of hurling they play. If Waterford win, it will only encourage more teams to play the sweeper system. However, if Waterford were to revert to the traditional formation, they would be my number one preference.
    At the moment, Galway get my preference over Tipp and Cork because the latter two are our traditional rivals.
    In terms of what I think will happen, I think Tipp will edge Galway, hopefully as enjoyable as the 2015 match. I think Watergord may edge Cork with Tipp to win the AI.

I think Galway will win on Sunday seniors hopefully our kilkenny minors will be representing us on the first sunday of September as regards the other semi final its hard to call this DBurka suspension will have a big bearing on how they set up if he does not get off. I would love to see Galway wining it this year we win the minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

It'll be interesting to see if the time gap between games will have an effect on Galway.

I prefer if players would wait a good few years after retiring before they write an autobiography. But anyway, hopefully Jackie gives us some real insight. His articles in the IT have been good.

https://twitter.com/MrJackieTee/status/892296780364357632

Pity Tommy never brought out a book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I prefer if players would wait a good few years after retiring before they write an autobiography. But anyway, hopefully Jackie gives us some real insight. His articles in the IT have been good.

https://twitter.com/MrJackieTee/status/892296780364357632

Good to see Christy O'Connor wrote it. Bug fan of his writing style

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Looking to get tickets for the match on Sunday to go support the kittens. Does anyone have any advice on where I could go to get them? At the moment tickets.ie only have tickets available in Upper Levels and I'm terrified of heights so would really prefer get Lower if possible. Can you choose where you go if you buy in SuperValu?

I wanted to go into Nowlan Park to get them but ticket sales were at 1pm and I was working.

laneykin wrote: »
    Looking to get tickets for the match on Sunday to go support the kittens. Does anyone have any advice on where I could go to get them? At the moment tickets.ie only have tickets available in Upper Levels and I'm terrified of heights so would really prefer get Lower if possible. Can you choose where you go if you buy in SuperValu?

I wanted to go into Nowlan Park to get them but ticket sales were at 1pm and I was working.
    I got tickets in Supervalu yesterday but they said they only had 'bad' tickets. The tickets I got were 715 which are Upper Cusack, I don't know if they had any lower level. I would prefer 715 to 315 but they are high

Best of luck to everyone involved today.

• Advertisement

Would be great to win last u18 and 21.all to play for. best of luck to all the minors today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement