Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

1-6 to 0-6 up at HT. Very little in it. Galway could be closer but for their wides. Cats hunting in packs so they're definitely up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

lovely goal there from Cody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

very soft penalty call for Galway but taken well. Going to go down to the wire here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Conditions are tough but skill level out of a lot of our lads is very very poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Kk should have gotten a penalty there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Can it get much worse
    !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Better team won. We were brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That was a big disappointment now, but as jj said our skill levels were low, lost count of the amount of times we couldn't rise a ball with two or three attempts. Galway full back line was there for the taking all the same, we were unlucky not to have another goal or maybe even two.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Unlucky overall 50/50 game.draw would have been fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ball was inside the 21 when struck for the Galway penalty? Too many mistakes from Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »
    Ball was inside the 21 when struck for the Galway penalty? Too many mistakes from Kilkenny

Made some mistakes in greasy conditions but the tribesmen finished the better.Hard luck and best of luck to them in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

No stand out players from that Kilkenny minor team. Apart from our current U21s it doesn't look bright for the Seniors over the next few years.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    No stand out players from that Kilkenny minor team. Apart from our current U21s it doesn't look bright for the Seniors over the next few years.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that both were convincing leinster winners and although galway finished the better only a point in it and we were unlucky with a few goal chances
    We've had good minors over the last few years but terrible u21,no point having that either.u21 is more important and infairness we've a good team this year

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Bit of a hasty comment based on one match where they lost by a point, you were one of the posters who lambasted the 2014 minors after the Dublin defeat in 2014 so I guess we shouldnt be suprised

Your prediction about Tipps dominance has fallen a little flat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Bit of a hasty comment based on one match where they lost by a point, you were one of the posters who lambasted the 2014 minors after the Dublin defeat in 2014 so I guess we shouldnt be suprised

Your prediction about Tipps dominance has fallen a little flat too.

They where dreadful against Dublin that day. In fairness to them they bounced back. Galway should have won by a lot more today. Completely dominated second half.
    Trust me I'm delighted Tipp have choked on a two in a row yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

1. I think very few from minor teams make it at senior level. If you look back at various teams, only one or two will go on and play on a regular basis at senior level. If you go back over programmes from 15-20 years ago, you'll see this is true.

2. The minor age group is a difficult one. They are young lads who react differently to big games. That goes for any sport at that age group. Give them a break.

3. It's the clubs that will develop the good hurlers in the years after minor level. Some develop at different times and obviously they'll 'fill out' etc. in these years.

Give the lads a break and don't consign them to the dust bin just yet!

Just looking at the match today I thought tipp hurled well and have some outstanding hurlers but galway were slightly better but the point I'm trying to make is to put back to back finals is extremely hard and we should be very proud of what we done.I don't think we know how lucky we were.

Adrian Mullen is a very good player, he was marked by the outstanding player on the pitch and things didn't go his way today. Niall Brassil and Jordan Molloy are good prospects. We nearly got another two goals. Heavy rain at start of match meant very greasy conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Adrian Mullen is a very good player, he was marked by the outstanding player on the pitch and things didn't go his way today. Niall Brassil and Jordan Molloy are good prospects. We nearly got another two goals. Heavy rain at start of match meant very greasy conditions

Adrian will be a very good adult hurler. Conditions were the same for both teams. Our second half was just so poor. 1-2 scored. 1-1 from play. Galway should have won by 6/7. Pity to end U18 hurling like this. Minor goes back to U 17 next year... Only a year younger but a different prospect altogether with 16 and 17 year olds playing and in the very early stages of development. Lots to ponder for Co. Board. U 17 in 2017 were easily dismissed by Dublin

Looking at tipp in the championship this year they never hit the heights of last year.we over reacted to last years final and made our team weaker not stronger imo.padraig better at half back fogarty better at midfield.looking back now we just need to play our best players in their best positions and we will be riht there.on a seperate note I hope waterford loose and tyrone in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

dubcat51 wrote:
    Looking at tipp in the championship this year they never hit the heights of last year.we over reacted to last years final and made our team weaker not stronger imo.padraig better at half back fogarty better at midfield.looking back now we just need to play our best players in their best positions and we will be riht there.on a seperate note I hope waterford loose and tyrone in football.

Completely agree. I didn't think Tipp were all that last year. On their day their forwards are top notch and the best in the country. Stop them and you beat them.

Galway are similar. Tipps forwards are slightly better than galways but very similar.

I think our problem is our own forwards.I definitely think we have the best defensive 1-9 in the country (it's a poor enough standard tbf)and if we had the forwards I think we would beat anyone.

Look at Galway .they relied on Canning and virtually had no other forwards . Now they have forwards to complement Canning. Same goes for Tipp and Callinan.

Reid is our Joe ATM . If the other forwards came on a bit over the next few months I'd tip ourselves for next year.

deadybai wrote: »
    Completely agree. I didn't think Tipp were all that last year. On their day their forwards are top notch and the best in the country. Stop them and you beat them.

Galway are similar. Tipps forwards are slightly better than galways but very similar.

I think our problem is our own forwards.I definitely think we have the best defensive 1-9 in the country (it's a poor enough standard tbf)and if we had the forwards I think we would beat anyone.

Look at Galway .they relied on Canning and virtually had no other forwards . Now they have forwards to complement Canning. Same goes for Tipp and Callinan.

Reid is our Joe ATM . If the other forwards came on a bit over the next few months I'd tip ourselves for next year.

I think our forwards let us down this year but we definitely have problems in defence.
    We were to reliant on tj and didn't get enough from the others and hogan obviously wasn't right all year hopefully the rest/break will do them the world of good.
    Good point made dismantling last year's team weakened us so this issue has to be sorted.we chopped and changed to much.
    Could we put delaney at 3 for the league and try develop him as a long term solution?
    Buckley was very good in his 2 games at six.It'd be great to have walsh at 5 but he'll probably be at 3 again next year.
    Id have cleere well ahead of lennon but management have great time for lennon which I have found strange.Joyce will probably retire but I thought he should of got more game time.
    Hopefully darren mullen and cleere see plenty of league time next year.
    Fogarty has to go back to mf with maybe lester who doesn't let us down but his probaly 30 now as well.
    We have to unearth scoring forwards and we have lads like leahy,ryan,donnelly,bolger who can score and will hopefully improve and alyward will hopefully be better.
    We still have a lot of good hurlers and the club will be interesting but we need a few fresh faces

dubcat51 wrote:

Seriously? Our backs wete poor this year. We need a full back, corner back, centre half and midfielder from 1-9

dubcat51 wrote:

Seriously? Our backs wete poor this year. We need a full back, corner back, centre half and midfielder from 1-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

I thought our problem was in the backs & midfield this year, distribution and lack of a full back hindered us all year.. If the forwards got quick or better ball they would have got a lot more scores. Kilkennys backs played against 5 forwards most days and still looked poor

Joyce done well at full back v wexford then he doesnt start v limerick.jonjoe doesnt start v wex or lim but then starts v waterford.to many strange and ultimately bad decisions taken that cost us imo.also padraig unfit v wex at centre forward.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Joyce done well at full back v wexford then he doesnt start v limerick.jonjoe doesnt start v wex or lim but then starts v waterford.to many strange and ultimately bad decisions taken that cost us imo.also padraig unfit v wex at centre forward.

Richie Reid brought on in the corner. Surely has a negative effect on the panel.

Could be 10 lads or more gone next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any word of venue for the U21 semi-final yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Any word of venue for the U21 semi-final yet?

Kilkenny v Derry, Semple Stadium, 4pm

Limerick v Galway, Semple Stadium, 6pm

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    Richie Reid brought on in the corner. Surely has a negative effect on the panel.

Could be 10 lads or more gone next year

I think the richie reid thing was bizarre and finished john power on the panel (hopefully power can go well for the shocks an be back next year)
    I definitely think it needs shaken up and I hate individually singling out players but lads like michael walsh,mark bergin and maybe shane pender and joey and joyce who are no longer trusted are better off going back to their clubs
    I'd be very disappointed if I was joyce you couldn't blame him if he retires.
    We definitely made terrible decisions on the line hopefully we can learn from this year and with the injection of a few players we can freshen the whole thing up we can get back to the top table
    The u21 would be a great start in a few weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

brookville wrote: »
    I think the richie reid thing was bizarre and finished john power on the panel (hopefully power can go well for the shocks an be back next year)
    I definitely think it needs shaken up and I hate individually singling out players but lads like michael walsh,mark bergin and maybe shane pender and joey and joyce who are no longer trusted are better off going back to their clubs
    I'd be very disappointed if I was joyce you couldn't blame him if he retires.
    We definitely made terrible decisions on the line hopefully we can learn from this year and with the injection of a few players we can freshen the whole thing up we can get back to the top table
    The u21 would be a great start in a few weeks time

Terrible decisions this year for sure. Last year was no different, Rob Lennon coming on centre back in all Ireland final last year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

You be thinking have McgarRy , Lyng , much of a say would anybody else have opinion on them the whole thing seems to be gone dead would new coaching staff make a difference. As regards Joyce the all Ireland last year there was not a glove put on Tipperary by Kilkenny kept pucking balls down on the Tipperary half back line look at what Galway did last sunday keep them moving. Joyce was not great last year but he put a lot of effort in during the winter trying to improve things but didn't get much of a chance this summer.

Joyce and joey were hard done by imo this year.1 game v tipp in all ireland final and they went from all stars to also rans.as I have said earlier joyce for me is better than padraig at full back and is still a top centre back.when we lost in 10 to tipp we didnt do the same surgery to the team and came back winning 4 of the next 6.over reaction and bad selections have cost us more than the opposition.

JimTreacy wrote: »
    You be thinking have McgarRy , Lyng , much of a say would anybody else have opinion on them the whole thing seems to be gone dead would new coaching staff make a difference. As regards Joyce the all Ireland last year there was not a glove put on Tipperary by Kilkenny kept pucking balls down on the Tipperary half back line look at what Galway did last sunday keep them moving. Joyce was not great last year but he put a lot of effort in during the winter trying to improve things but didn't get much of a chance this summer.

It definitely looked flat this year for whatever reason but the uncertainty around the team match to match certainly didn't help.
    Everyone said we needed a 3,4 and 6 last September but 11 months later we still didn't know our team.I know mick fennelly is so important to us but he played a club match and a half a challenge game and starts in front of lads bursting their gut all winter.
    As said above lennon struggles at club level and we put him on gleeson in thurles.absolute madness.
    I doubt very much lyng or mcgarry have much of a say and they'll probably both go we need fresh ideas because it's gone stale and we're to predictable.
    We definitely made our team weaker with the changes but I've no doubt our best team didn't start in important matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

Tullaroon v Ballycallan in Freshford should be a good match local derby.

• Advertisement

JimTreacy wrote: »
    Tullaroon v Ballycallan in Freshford should be a good match local derby.

I'm looking forward to the club this weekend

Host of good matches, Tullaroan will be hard to beat tonight

They'll probably be favourites for the championship but thomastown might not be to bad.I think ballyragget might have missed the boat

They'll probably be favourites for the championship but thomastown might not be to bad.I think ballyragget might have missed the boat

Wide Open . Tullaroan, Glenmore, Tomastown and Gowran are prob favourites, Tullogher, Ballyragget and Ballycallan are ok on their day too

City teams have all tough matches in senior this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

You were dead right. Tullaroan looked very impressive, great pace and very good hurlers all over the field. P Walsh was excellent, played centre forward and caused all sorts of problems. The 2 Keoghans, Walton, Gaffney hurled very well in addition to all the Walsh clan. A big crowd attended the game. Roll on the weekend and we can all look forward to some cracking games this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

On their day their forwards are top notch and the best in the country. Stop them and you beat them.

I definitely think we have the best defensive 1-9 in the country (it's a poor enough standard tbf)and if we had the forwards I think we would beat anyone.

Same goes for Tipp and Callinan.

Three crackers in the one post, fair play!

The first one, can you tell me what team ever in the history of the game that it is not true that if you stop their forwards you win the game, its a silly cliche that means absolutely nothing because it is like saying the sky is blue!

The best 1-9 in the country, I don't even think they were the best in the county ffs, there are at least four positions there that need to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

Tipp never over relied on Callinan in any shape or form, in fact Seamie was incredibly unreliable for the majority of his career and in his peak years, say 2014 to 2017, has been surrounded by gifted forwards.

danganabu wrote: »
    Three crackers in the one post, fair play!

The first one, can you tell me what team ever in the history of the game that it is not true that if you stop their forwards you win the game, its a silly cliche that means absolutely nothing because it is like saying the sky is blue!

The best 1-9 in the country, I don't even think they were the best in the county ffs, there are at least four positions there that need to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

Tipp never over relied on Callinan in any shape or form, in fact Seamie was incredibly unreliable for the majority of his career and in his peak years, say 2014 to 2017, has been surrounded by gifted forwards.

How about the 2015 semi final against Galway, seemed pretty reliant on him that day. Not that there is anything wrong with that, there will always be days when the star forward on any team needs to step up, regardless of how good the other players are.

How about the 2015 semi final against Galway, seemed pretty reliant on him that day. Not that there is anything wrong with that, there will always be days when the star forward on any team needs to step up, regardless of how good the other players are.

You have answered your own question tbh that was a one off the other forwards on the field that day were quite on the day but included Bubbles O'Dwyer, Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath and Brendan Maher.

To prove the point I was making fast forward twelve months and Seamie was double marked never hit a ball and the rest of Tipp's forwards carried the can and Tipp won.

You have answered your own question tbh that was a one off the other forwards on the field that day were quite on the day but included Bubbles O'Dwyer, Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath and Brendan Maher.

To prove the point I was making fast forward twelve months and Seamie was double marked never hit a ball and the rest of Tipp's forwards carried the can and Tipp won.

Don't think I did tbh, you said they never relied on him in any shape or form, I raised the point about 2015 when they obviously did rely on him, you are a great man for semantics yourself so im sure you can appreciate what im saying.

Don't think I did tbh, you said they never relied on him in any shape or form, I raised the point about 2015 when they obviously did rely on him, you are a great man for semantics yourself so im sure you can appreciate what im saying.

Really is it that hard to understand, the original post was suggesting that like Galway and Canning that Tipp had over relied on Callinan for a period of time, that is not true and one random 70 mins over a ten year career does not change that point.

Simple enough for you??

Anyway this is the Kilkenny thread so this is all off topic so lets park it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyway this is the Kilkenny thread so this is all off topic so lets park it there.

I think we can all agree though that deadlybai's post was rubbish :pac:
    I definitely think we have the best defensive 1-9 in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Anyone news on Shefflins knee injury he picked up in a challenge game last week?
    Not named in the programme for this weeks game

Mediocre enough match between Clara and James Stephens.
    11 points out of Clara's 1-15 came from frees and 1-8 of JS total of 2-11 came from frees from Eoin Larkin who also scored an excellent goal after a run from 40 yards out. Liam Ryan got the Clara goal. Apart from Ryan, the other 5 Clara forwards got a total of only 1 point from play. Similarly, apart from Eoin Larkin, the rest of the JS forwards got a total of 3 points. Ref blew for overcarrying on a number of occasions, unusual. Jackie Tyrrell was as good as anyone else playing. JS probably need to win their last game against Danesfort to avoid a relegation scrap

minty81 wrote: »
    Anyone news on Shefflins knee injury he picked up in a challenge game last week?
    Not named in the programme for this weeks game
    Michael Fennelly, Eoin Reid not named either

Michael Fennelly, Eoin Reid not named either

Heard henry done the cruciate again,hopefully not true itd be a bad way to end his club career

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement