Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

danganabu wrote: »
    Is there a game on before the game at 4pm?

No, two games 4pm and 6pm.

Just checked there as I thought I read last week there was an earlier game. There's an U21 'B' game at 2pm: Kerry and Meath. That's a long sit until 7:30ish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Just checked there as I thought I read last week there was an earlier game. There's an U21 'B' game at 2pm: Kerry and Meath. That's a long sit until 7:30ish!!!

Apologies, I must get on to the stadium, I was asked to provide a few bodies for the stiles and that they needed to be there for 3pm!

Just double check that Dangan. I saw it on HoganStand Fixtures page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

What's the feeling for the weekend?you'd expect a comfortable win but as we know it doesn't always work like that but really we should have to much for derry although they probably won't be to bad.
    Cleere and pat lyng are injury concerns according to the paper bit it huw lalor played for olg but conor doheny still out.
    I still think it's a shame kevin farrell has dropped himself off the panel but andy gaffney could be on the squad.
    John walsh done well last weekend he has to be on the team if his fit.
    I still think they need to sort out the number 4 position it might be ok this wknd but i don't think itd be strong enough against limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

You would be hopeing for a good win to lay down a marker, can not understand these lads dropping off the panel number four has been a big worry all the summer that Conor Doheny must have a bad injury he is not a bad hurler. One thing I be worried is this swepper system I say that's the way Derry are going to line out. Here to a positive result very disappointed with the minors.

JimTreacy wrote: »
    You would be hopeing for a good win to lay down a marker, can not understand these lads dropping off the panel number four has been a big worry all the summer that Conor Doheny must have a bad injury he is not a bad hurler. One thing I be worried is this swepper system I say that's the way Derry are going to line out. Here to a positive result very disappointed with the minors.

You'd imagine they'll play very defensive but anything short of a win would be very dissapointing.
    Infairness to farrell he wasn't on the the 24 for the first 2 matches so he dropped himself off.I know everyone can't make the panel but from what I've seen of him he definitely looks good enough to be on the panel.If he stays improving I wouldn't be surprised to see him brought into the senior set up on the next few years.
    It's a pity doheny hasn't recovered yet but I'd like to see him at 4 his a tidy hurler.
    Mullen probably better on the hb line.he'll almost certainly be on the senior panel next year he has the makings of a good hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Team. Darren Brennan. Michael Cody. Conor Delaney. Niall McMahon. Darren Mullen. Jason Cleere. Tommy Walsh. Huw Lawlor. Luke Scanlon. Richie Leahy (Capt.). John Donnelly. Sean Morrissey. Shane Walsh. Liam Blanchfield. Billy Ryan
    Subs include Alan Murphy, John Walsh. Pat Lyng is out injured

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

John Walsh and Alan Murphy on the bench, Eddie is definitely not afraid of making tough decisions.

Lyng is a big loss, dont see him winning the all ireland without him in the team.

It's good they've tried to address the number 4 position as highlighted.this is the 3rd lad to be tried there.
    Intresting that mossy keoughan and conor o carroll on the 24.
    Lyng is injured Walsh still not starting after getting 6 points from play last wknd.
    Murphy apart from frees could do more from play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

Decent panel,good to see Luke playing, South lads wont be happy.. John Walsh and Alan Murphy on the bench, Burke from Ttown who started last day not even on the 24, young Hennessy not on the 24 either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Who'll be the free-taker?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Who'll be the free-taker?

Shane Walsh I'd imagine.

Interesting team. I'd be hopeful we see Martin Keoghan get some game time, if we are to win this grade this year we will need our best 15 starting and 3 or 4 serious subs to bring off the bench. John Walsh is an interesting one, if the team lines out as named he is probably a bit unfortunate to miss out, however he is a very enigmatic talent and I can see how the management might think he is better suited sprung off the bench against a tiring defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Does anyone know which stand is open for the game tomorrow in Semple or are both open? Thanks

Shane Walsh I'd imagine.

Interesting team. I'd be hopeful we see Martin Keoghan get some game time, if we are to win this grade this year we will need our best 15 starting and 3 or 4 serious subs to bring off the bench. John Walsh is an interesting one, if the team lines out as named he is probably a bit unfortunate to miss out, however he is a very enigmatic talent and I can see how the management might think he is better suited sprung off the bench against a tiring defence.

If we can win tomorrow and get lyng and doheny back into the squad plus murphy and walsh fighting for places it strengthen things up.
    Most of this crop will see senior action in the next couple of years so id hopefull they can do themselves justice.
    We already had 5/6 see league action this year and I'd expect mullen,delaney,billy ryan,scanlon and john walsh get walsh cup game time next year.

brookville wrote: »
    We already had 5/6 see league action this year and I'd expect mullen,delaney,billy ryan,scanlon and john walsh get walsh cup game time next year.

Yeah Blanchfield & Cleere especially got some great experience in the league this year. Leahy got almost two full games also.

425511.PNG

Just turned on the TV. Missed the first three minutes. Great start by the lads, 1-01 to 0-00.

Eddie has already subbed Billy Ryan & Jason Cleere. I wonder if some clubs asked him to take players off if they are winning easily?

Eddie has already subbed Billy Ryan & Jason Cleere. I wonder if some clubs asked him to take players off if they are winning easily?
    Jason Cleere is coming back after a bad hand injury. No harm to give lads a run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Whether they asked or not it was definitely the right thing to do, nothing to be gained from keeping those lads on, for either the clubs or the team preparing for a final. Feel bad for Derry, I missed two goals just switching my feed from the laptop to the TV.

• Advertisement

Whether they asked or not it was definitely the right thing to do, nothing to be gained from keeping those lads on, for either the clubs or the team preparing for a final. Feel bad for Derry, I missed two goals just switching my feed from the laptop to the TV.
    The only thing I would take from today is that we are not lumping high balls into the forwards but playing diagonal balls to players in space. Obviously, there won't be the same time against better opposition.

blackcard wrote: »
    The only thing I would take from today is that we are not lumping high balls into the forwards but playing diagonal balls to players in space. Obviously, there won't be the same time against better opposition.

Yeah it's really hard to take much from it, Derry are playing at a much lower standard, you could see it in the opening minute they were not in the same league at all. It's not good preparation at all for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Farce of a match.

Don't think any team has ever had such an easy run to an All Ireland final at this grade.

Camogie team looking good to reach the AI final. Winning 1-11 to 0-08 with 59 minutes gone.

KK win 2-11 to 0-09.

Great few hours for KK teams.
    Well done to both the U-21 hurlers & senior camogie players on reaching AI finals

Good camogie match, standard of the game has greatly improved in the last 15 years.

• Advertisement

As expected limerick are in the final they fought off a gallant galway team.it has the makings of a very good final,limerick are after having 2 tough games we learnt very little today but it's great to be in a u21 final.
    It'll probably be like the 14 minor final limerick will be favourites but hopefully we can sneak a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

And the u17 Camogie team won the All Ireland also !! :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Do you reckon Shane Walsh will make the senior team in a few years? The 'tradition' is there!

Definitely. I know it's hard to tell with young lads but he has the skills and the family environment he's in couldn't be more positive for fostering and encouraging it. Big boots to fill in fairness but I'm bailing my flag to the mast, he'll be there or thereabouts in the next couple of years.

Do you reckon Shane Walsh will make the senior team in a few years? The 'tradition' is there!

I remember looking at padraig in 2012 in the u21 I thought he wouldn't make it,he was center forward and taken off in a few matches including the final. In 13 I remember him coming on corner back in portlaoise against dublin I still thought he wouldn't make it but he had a great season in 14 scoring a great point in the final against tipp and took over his brothers number 5 jersey.
    Players can improve a lot in a year or two,Shane looks lively but id be more hopefull donnelly or billy ryan can make the step up in the next year or 2.

• Advertisement

Dionysis wrote: »
    Cody needs to physically bulk up a few a the key upcoming talented players, e.g. Leahy, Seanie Morrissey, Pat Lyng, Tommy Walsh, John Walsh. He should be putting them on programmes come November.

Just looking at the match saturday and it's obvious the size of blanchfield who has 2 full seasons under his belt and lads like billy ryan who's similar height is staggering,blanchfield is like a monster in comparison.
    As someone else posted you have to find the right balance.

Dionysis wrote: »
    Cody needs to physically bulk up a few a the key upcoming talented players, e.g. Leahy, Seanie Morrissey, Pat Lyng, Tommy Walsh, John Walsh. He should be putting them on programmes come November.

Just looking at the match saturday and it's obvious the size of blanchfield who has 2 full seasons under his belt and lads like billy ryan who's similar height is staggering,blanchfield is like a monster in comparison.

Some of them lads should be taken to a athletics club twice a week over the winter to work on their speed especially the first 5 yards. I think it'd made a big difference.

People say you have/have not got speed but I think it can be improved if coached properly.

What do yous reckon? Could these lads improve with a bit of 'professional' help? I know lads in clubs that do yoga over the winter to improve flexibility and for injury preventation so I think this could help. Just an idea.

Blanchfield is a big build of a man anyway , bit disappointed with John Walsh Saturday as regards Bill Ryan Alan Murphy they are after filling out a good bit.

Blanchfield is a big build of a man anyway , bit disappointed with John Walsh Saturday as regards Bill Ryan Alan Murphy they are after filling out a good bit.

I know blanchfield was always big even as a minor but the size of him Saturday in comparison to some of the others I thought was very noticeable.Its going to be extremely tough against a star studded limerick side but the only thing is we have forwards to do harm if given enough ball.
    I wonder could adrian mullen be added to the bench for the final?we've already seen two lads added to panel for the semi final who haven't being on it up to this.Mullen has got 1-4 and 1-5 for his club in the last 2 matches.Bob probably has him in making up numbers in training.
    We're still probably unsure of our strongest team hopefully doheny and pat lyng make it back for the final but like limerick we have a strong panel.

I know blanchfield was always big even as a minor but the size of him Saturday in comparison to some of the others I thought was very noticeable.Its going to be extremely tough against a star studded limerick side but the only thing is we have forwards to do harm if given enough ball.
    I wonder could adrian mullen be added to the bench for the final?we've already seen two lads added to panel for the semi final who haven't being on it up to this.Mullen has got 1-4 and 1-5 for his club in the last 2 matches.Bob probably has him in making up numbers in training.
    We're still probably unsure of our strongest team hopefully doheny and pat lyng make it back for the final but like limerick we have a strong panel.
    None of this launching high balls down on the forwards spray it around. Galway had Limerick there for the taking Saturday evening but they kept the balls high limerick won every ball near the end The Galway goalie was not great, we need Pat Lyng , Doheny, Lyng sort of reminds me of Michael Rice the way he goes forward .Here is living in hope for a win.

Why are the club matches on tonight ? Would Thursday, Friday or Saturday not be more accomodating

Village87 wrote: »
    Why are the club matches on tonight ? Would Thursday, Friday or Saturday not be more accomodating

I presume it's to give the u21s the weekend together I can't think of any other reason tbh.The final is on 2 weeks from saturday I think

They will be happy in Danesfort with that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Great win for Danesfort. Village were awful. They have slipped back so far. Danesfort half back line and midfield were very dominant once they settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

First round like this I think..

Erin's Own v Danesfort

Rower-inistioge v Ballyhale Shamrocks

Mullinavat v Bennettsbridge

James Stephens v St Martin's

• Advertisement

Some interesting 1st round matches the rower and the shamrocks and the bridge and vegas should be tasty
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/266513/kilkenny-shl-city-sides-collide-as-o-loughlin-gaels-set-up-league-final-meeting-with-dicksboro.html

Things don't seem to have got better since Codys departure which some people were happy to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Things don't seem to have got better since Codys departure which some people were happy to see.

Cody still there lurking in background from what I hear.

dobbs2210 wrote: »

Cody still there lurking in background from what I hear.
    Great, they can still scapegoat him for another year so.

Its a very good Limerick team but its hardly star studded, there isnt one player that you could really say will definitely make it at senior level, their strength from what I can see is that they have 20 plus players who are really strong at under 21 level, I think Galway for example have more standout players, obviously Whelan but also players like loftus

Topcat32 wrote: »

Its a very good Limerick team but its hardly star studded, there isnt one player that you could really say will definitely make it at senior level, their strength from what I can see is that they have 20 plus players who are really strong at under 21 level, I think Galway for example have more standout players, obviously Whelan but also players like loftus

Really hard for individual players to stand out nowadays on a regular basis though - seems to all be about systems these days! I hope it's not going like football where there's no standout wizards these days since the Gooch retired.

Limerick have a good few lads, like Kilkenny, who have sampled senior league action etc. so it's a 50/50 game. The big advantage that Limerick will have will be there game V Galway will have brought them on a good bit but KK will give them their fill of it. Should be a good game.

Shocking effort last night v Danesfort,

We face the very serious prospect of getting relegated to Intermediate, we have St Martins in the first round/relegation, we are lucky its against them as if we had to play any other team we would be in a relegation final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shocking effort last night v Danesfort,

We face the very serious prospect of getting relegated to Intermediate, we have St Martins in the first round/relegation, we are lucky its against them as if we had to play any other team we would be in a relegation final.

Lack of players ? or Lack of effort ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Lack of players ? or Lack of effort ??

Not good enough and a bit light, we always seem to get out fought by other teams. Lack quality upfront. In big trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not good enough and a bit light, we always seem to get out fought by other teams. Lack quality upfront. In big trouble

Village will be in trouble when Jackie, Larks and Ruth call it a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement