Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kil. v Dub.
    R Reid
    P Murphy J Holden B Kennedy
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    L hi Ryan D Cody
    W Walsh TJ Reid J Maher
    JJ Farrell J Power R Hogan
    Subs.
    A Murphy
    J Tyrrell
    S Prendergast
    C o Shea
    J Lyng
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    M Malone
    C Bolger
    L Blanchfield

Would have liked to see Kevin Kelly get another run, other than that no complaints. Presume Robert Lennon is still injured? Colin Fennelly too?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

Interesting team , as for way of a result , no pressure as we're into the play offs , so just be pressure to perform well with shackles off so to speak . So for me this is a perfect game for the likes of JJ Farrell to really go out and perform to show that they really deserve their place on the KK team as he's been floating on / off the team for a few years now .
    Same IMHO somewhat for the likes of D Cody , J Power and B Kennedy ???

Is Lennon still injured as would have been good to see him play again at center back ??

Will be tough game against Dublin who'll be confident off the back of their win against Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Im a bit suprised that Darren Brennan (if fit) isnt the sub goalkeeper, I would have thought that he would be first choice for the under 21s this year.

Perhaps Alan Murphy's talent as a forward is a factor in this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Kil. v Dub.
    R Reid
    P Murphy J Holden B Kennedy
    L Ryan D Cody
    W Walsh TJ Reid J Maher
    JJ Farrell J Power R Hogan
    Subs.
    A Murphy
    J Tyrrell
    S Prendergast
    C o Shea
    J Lyng
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    M Malone
    C Bolger
    L Blanchfield

I'd have liked to see Kevin Kelly start another game but outwith the 2 goal blitz V Tipp he never really got going in the other games.

Pity T.J. or Richie especially doesn't get a break and play Walter at 11 and get Maher to get ball in the loose.

Hopefully BC will make a few more changes but i suppose he's looking at it as another chance to win a league title (win gets an 'easier' draw) so a win is required v Dublin. We, as supporters, think it's time to experiment but whatdo we know..lol.

Great chance for the likes of BK, JJ. and John Power to make a push for a place as they've had loads of chances. Big game for them.

2 midfielders deserve another chance in my opinion. Lester chipped in with 3 pts (i thought he hit 4) V Cork and that's a good contribution from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Didn't expect to top the group after matchday 1. Toss of a coin for home advantage with Offaly or does the home/away championship rotation stretch to the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Any reports/thoughts from people at the match today would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Given Dublin’s form, I expected a tighter contest but really this match was effectively over in the first half. The Dubs were full of running with this new short style with no ball travelling more than 30-40 m at a stroke. This even saw the goalkeeper receive his own puckout back from the corner back at one stage. The Dubs did come into it in the second half but that was more down to Kilkenny taking their foot off the pedal. In fairness the Dubs didn’t help their cause in that first half with some errant shooting. It’ll be interesting to see how they fare later in the summer when teams catch up on fitness.
    As for the cats, Reid was solid in goal and bar one brave save in the second half got little to do. He is a more than competent replacement for Murphy and one wouldn’t have any qualms about him taking over should the need arise. Jackie started instead of Murphy and had a torrid time against Dillon in the first half. Joey was an improvement on last week and was more assured. Kennedy was ok in the other corner but for some reason dropped his hurl at least four times during the game. Walsh and Joyce were the pick of the backs – both got on the scoreboard to boot - with Buckley not far behind. Midfield was all square although McCaffrey was a thorn when he came on. To be fair Lester pitched in with a couple of points. TJ again was majestic especially in the first half when he made a mug out of Rushe. Wally bar a couple of wides was the pick of the rest. He scored three points and was always a threat especially running at the Dubs defence. Richie scored three points but was quiet enough. He really is wasted in the corner and one must presume he’s being left in the corner to be released out the field later in the year. The rest of the forwards Maher, Power and Farrell did very little of note.

The positives from the league so far have been the form of Tj, Padraig Walsh, our goalkeepers and Conor Fogarty until he got injured. Walter Walsh seems to have improved his consistency and Colin Fennelly showed improved from against Cork.Joyce and Buckley have been decent as well with Lester Ryan making good scoring contributions the last two days.
    Dissapointing would be that no new players have really nailed down a starting position with James Maher coming closest. Also of concern is that we didn't get many goals or create a lot of goal chances. I think our team for the championship will be very similar to last year.

blackcard wrote: »
    The positives from the league so far have been the form of Tj, Padraig Walsh, our goalkeepers and Conor Fogarty until he got injured. Walter Walsh seems to have improved his consistency and Colin Fennelly showed improved from against Cork.Joyce and Buckley have been decent as well with Lester Ryan making good scoring contributions the last two days.
    Dissapointing would be that no new players have really nailed down a starting position with James Maher coming closest. Also of concern is that we didn't get many goals or create a lot of goal chances. I think our team for the championship will be very similar to last year.

I think thats a good summary of things but I would add that Robert Lennon looked very good against Tipp and Diarmuid Cody did enough to justify his place on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Richie reid has being solid tbf.it's probably dissapointing we didn't see chris bolger today but I'm sure we'll see him later in the year.looks like it we get over the next game we have clare or tipp

• Advertisement

I agree. Lack of goal chances is a worry but i suppose it's ironic that we sit top of the table.

Happy now, especially after the first day out in Walsh Park and how it looked it was going to be a short league season. Credit due to players and management with the way they've pushed on.

Reid a good keep. Full back line under pressure V Cork and hard to know if JT will cement a place. He is a good option.

Half back line is solid with Pádraig and Cillian Buckley on the wings. Pádraig chipping in with a few points also which is good. Cillian not up to top notch yet this season but he's consistent when he gets going. Hopefully he'll start V Offaly in a fortnight. Joyce will start at No. 6 but Lennon, as others have already stated, is worth a look at at No. 6 also. Experience is crucial at 6.

Lester has played well this past 2 games and chipped in with vital scores. Half backs and midfielders need to be chipping in with scores in every game. D Cody has done well in midfield also but will he start come championship time? Good game time experience for him in half back/midfield though.

I think Walter Walsh has ha a good campaign. He's a good target, runs direct and chips in with a few scores. He's more consistent and is actually looking like a senior player and a leader now. Times he's frustrating also but he has developed well in this league campaign.

Maher and Kelly has been in an out of games but they're still learning their trade. They are young and have got chances but more to do.

John Power has come back in recently and maybe he'll get a run of games now and hopefully it'll help his confidence. His workrate needs to improve.

Richie needs a break i think and now the 2 week break will do him no harm if he can rest a wee bit. I'd like to see him float around the midfield/half forward line picking up loose ball and keeping the scoreboard operator a bit busier!!

As for T.J., what a player - gets better and better. Must be averaging 10pts a game. I remember him being taken off early V Tipp in NP (great atmosphere) in 2013. He went away and bulked up and came back the next season like a warrior!!

The question is how much do we depend on him? Can other step up if he's injured or not playing?

I'd like to see what type of score we could run up without him. We have other free takers and it'd be good to see how they'd get on. Time running out to test that theory though!!!

brookville wrote: »
    Richie reid has being solid tbf.it's probably dissapointing we didn't see chris bolger today but I'm sure we'll see him later in the year.looks like it we get over the next game we have clare or tipp

What'a the chances our game with Offaly will be on the Saturday evening? (2nd April)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I think thats a good summary of things but I would add that Robert Lennon looked very good against Tipp and Diarmuid Cody did enough to justify his place on the panel.
    I think diarmuid Cody has shown that he is an ok hurler an honest hurler; but we have plenty of hurlers that standard in Kilkenny . Only for his name he would not be there. Game passed him by today

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

kk1970 wrote: »
    I think diarmuid Cody has shown that he is an ok hurler an honest hurler; but we have plenty of hurlers that standard in Kilkenny . Only for his name he would not be there. Game passed him by today

I agree KK1970 , I asked and then stated facts there a few weeks ago after the Waterford game and got " shot down " , but once I suggested the stats , no reply ?

Regardless of what Brian Cody has done in the past 17 years or so IMHO he can still be open to criticism or someone else's opinion . So either his son is going very well in training and deserves his spot on this merit , but to me I haven't seen at game time . He's not on his " Pat Malone " ie... I don't see what JJ Farrell is still doing on the panel either from what I've seen , albeit be it on TV and some attended games .

I think cody had done ok so far.i think he'll be to slow when the ground gets harder but his being better than I expected so far he hasn't being exposed or anything.john joe tries hard and is a bit of a nuisance but his not tidy enough for this level and worth put enough on the scoreboard

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Diarmuid Cody is an honest hurler as someone said but his hurling is very slow, gets caught in position on most occasions. Jonjo wasn't massively involved yesterday but is a nuisance and won a few high balls and flicks and got stuck in. John Power looked lazy again yesterday I thought, just never seem tuned in and doesn't put himself about enough.

Walter is working like a trojan and seemed to get biggest roar of the day, crowd to really be willing him to do well and its great to see more consistency in him.

Lack of goal chances is a big worry but there seemed to be very little running down the middle and laying the ball off we seemed content to pick scores off from out the field. I'd like to see us create a few more chances.

Was also hoping to see Conor O Shea get a go but it wasn't to be.

Padraig Walsh was brilliant again, he mops up some ball and seems to enjoy attacking from half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

I agree KK1970 , I asked and then stated facts there a few weeks ago after the Waterford game and got " shot down " , but once I suggested the stats , no reply ?

Regardless of what Brian Cody has done in the past 17 years or so IMHO he can still be open to criticism or someone else's opinion . So either his son is going very well in training and deserves his spot on this merit , but to me I haven't seen at game time . He's not on his " Pat Malone " ie... I don't see what JJ Farrell is still doing on the panel either from what I've seen , albeit be it on TV and some attended games .

I too, was shot down when I suggested it was farcical that Diarmuid was starting considering he wasn't playing Fitzgibbon hurling and lads on the bench were and not getting game-time. But I was wrong because I haven't guided kk to 11 All Irelands etc etc.. Alan Murphy , a good hurler, but as someone pointed out earlier, bringing him in as a goalkeeper on no merit is scandalous. Goalies like Duggan and Brennan, trying to master their position are left wondering what more they can do when a forward is brought in as a goalkeeper. People from other counties often say to me it's great that there's no politics involved in kk. I laugh at them. Having said that, Diarmuid hasn't done a whole lot wrong but he's played at a standard that 90% of Senior Club midfielders in kk would play at. I just think it's terrible that BC is not open to criticism! World revolves around him on here from people who don't know the half of what goes on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

You sound very angry. Were you on the panel and didn't make the cut?

Re yesterdays game: TJ is playing unGodly stuff at the minute. A joy to watch his stickwork. Padraig Walsh is a cracking bet at 50s for HOTY even if defenders do rarely get it - another playing great stuff.

Don't know what to make of Power. There's talent there but everything is too "big". His swing is too long and slow, his handpassing is too easily read and too slow. Don't know how to describe it properly.

You sound very angry. Were you on the panel and didn't make the cut?

Re yesterdays game: TJ is playing unGodly stuff at the minute. A joy to watch his stickwork. Padraig Walsh is a cracking bet at 50s for HOTY even if defenders do rarely get it - another playing great stuff.

Don't know what to make of Power. There's talent there but everything is too "big". His swing is too long and slow, his handpassing is too easily read and too slow. Don't know how to describe it properly.

I just think it's scandalous that politics is still part and parcel of hurling here. I suppose it's the same in every county.

I don't know what price TJ is but I'd imagine every week the price will get shorter! He's hurling some stuff. A boring prediction but I can't see anyone but TJ or Callinan getting HOTY, depending on who wins the AI!

John is gifted and it's hard for him being compared to his brother so often. He clearly hasn't the class Richie has but he's talented without question. He holds the hurl too far up the handle, should shorten his grip more often.. Wouldn't expect to see him starting later on in the year.

Think Chris Bolger could have a big year yet, would be like Cody to spring him from the bench come Championship, strange that he hasn't got game-time yet!

Also isn't it JJ's right hand that does the damage, not his left???????

• Advertisement

Yes. I realised that about 2 seconds after I confirmed it. A criminal mistake as a left hand on top man myself.

Kk will have home advantage sunday week hopefully a few fringe players will be tried

PáircLife wrote: »
    I just think it's scandalous that politics is still part and parcel of hurling here. I suppose it's the same in every county.

I don't know what price TJ is but I'd imagine every week the price will get shorter! He's hurling some stuff. A boring prediction but I can't see anyone but TJ or Callinan getting HOTY, depending on who wins the AI!

John is gifted and it's hard for him being compared to his brother so often. He clearly hasn't the class Richie has but he's talented without question. He holds the hurl too far up the handle, should shorten his grip more often.. Wouldn't expect to see him starting later on in the year.

Think Chris Bolger could have a big year yet, would be like Cody to spring him from the bench come Championship, strange that he hasn't got game-time yet!

Who would you expect to see start instead of John Power, not having a go at what you have said above, just curious to see who will take Ger Aylwards spot. Not much really between Kevin Kelly, James Maher and John Power based on the performances in the league. Can't see Conor Martin or JJ Farell starting and Chris Bolger appears to out of favour a bit.

Taking account of the league performances so far, if I was to choose our starting team for the championship, this is what I would go for:

E Murphy

P Murphy, J Holden, S Prendergast, P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley

C Fogarty, L Ryan

TJ Reid, R Hogan, W Walsh, C Fennelly, J Maher, E Larkin.

I've left Mick Fennelly out intentionally. If he is 'fit', he plays. And I've included Eoin Larkin despite him missing the league.

Based on league so far, if I was to choose our starting team for the championship, this is what I would go for:

E Murphy

C Fogarty, L Ryan

TJ Reid, R Hogan, W Walsh, C Fennelly, J Maher, K Kelly.

I've left Mick Fennelly out intentionally. If he is 'fit', he plays.

How about Eoin Larkin if fit? He came back from Kosovo in great shape.

How about Eoin Larkin if fit? He came back from Kosovo in great shape.

I knew I'd forget about someone! :o
    I'll edit my team.

Who would you expect to see start instead of John Power, not having a go at what you have said above, just curious to see who will take Ger Aylwards spot. Not much really between Kevin Kelly, James Maher and John Power based on the performances in the league. Can't see Conor Martin or JJ Farell starting and Chris Bolger appears to out of favour a bit.

Out of all them forwards I feel Maher has shown the most promise, but is not a corner forward. I can see Wally, Hogan and TJ making up the half line.

If I was to chose a corner forward between Kelly, Power and Bolger it would be Bolger. Wish I could base that on the League but unfortunately we haven't seen him so I'm basing it on their form for Club and County over the last few years. He's a goalscorer and always heads for goal which I love to see. Between Kelly and Power i'd pick Kelly, a confidence player, if his confidence is high he could do anything with a sliotar!!

Makes me think about the bench, I'd be worried with our bench. In comparison to Tipp I feel it is much weaker, Tipp have trialed a lot more players than us in the league so far and many have done very well.. Saying that, we did beat them with an experimental enough side a few weeks ago but their new men are doing well..

Taking account of the league performances so far, if I was to choose our starting team for the championship, this is what I would go for:

E Murphy

C Fogarty, L Ryan

TJ Reid, R Hogan, W Walsh, C Fennelly, J Maher, E Larkin.

You'd have to play Wally full and Maher wing. Maher not a full or corner forward, has too much running in him to play in there. That is why you'd have to look at Kelly, Power or Bolger.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

for me power and martin dont cut it at this level.power has many attributes but just doesnt put it all in for me.crummy really bullied maher off the ball yesterday and he never got going.like others on here I would like to see bolger get a chance.goal scorer all ends up.also would like to see blanchfield get a chance in the forwards.looked a real talent at minor and should now be looking to push into the team.as it stands for me the championship team would be the same as last year except I PERSONALLY would go for bolger to replace awylard.also have to agree with others that I cant see cody being mobile enough for championship in midfield.(but has done ok in the league)

• Advertisement

KK vs Offaly has been confirmed for Sunday April 3rd at 3.45pm.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    for me power and martin dont cut it at this level.power has many attributes but just doesnt put it all in for me.crummy really bullied maher off the ball yesterday and he never got going.like others on here I would like to see bolger get a chance.goal scorer all ends up.also would like to see blanchfield get a chance in the forwards.looked a real talent at minor and should now be looking to push into the team.as it stands for me the championship team would be the same as last year except I PERSONALLY would go for bolger to replace awylard.also have to agree with others that I cant see cody being mobile enough for championship in midfield.(but has done ok in the league)

I agree I thought maher was pushed around but his still young and devolving and I'd be confident there's enough in him to make him a regular starter when he develops fully,personally I think bolger will be codys trump card in the summer let's not forget ger only came into the reckoning after the limerick match and walter wasn't even a sub in the semi final in 12.liam blanchfield and chris bolger will be more of a threat when the ground hardens

brookville wrote: »
    I agree I thought maher was pushed around but his still young and devolving and I'd be confident there's enough in him to make him a regular starter when he develops fully,personally I think bolger will be codys trump card in the summer let's not forget ger only came into the reckoning after the limerick match and walter wasn't even a sub in the semi final in 12.liam blanchfield and chris bolger will be more of a threat when the ground hardens

James Maher
    Kevin Kelly
    JonJo Farrell
    Chris Bolger
    John Power
    Liam Blanchfield
    Conor Martin
    Michael Malone

That would be my order of the players from which one or more will be picked to start in the Championship. I would add that I think Chris Bolger and Liam Blanchfield have the most scope for improvement
    With Mark Kelly gone, I don't know is there anyone else that should be added to the list above? John Walsh and Sean Morrissey next year maybe?

James Maher
    Kevin Kelly
    JonJo Farrell
    Chris Bolger
    John Power
    Liam Blanchfield
    Conor Martin
    Michael Malone

That would be my order of the players from which one or more will be picked to start in the Championship. I would add that I think Chris Bolger and Liam Blanchfield have the most scope for improvement
    With Mark Kelly gone, I don't know is there anyone else that should be added to the list above? John Walsh and Sean Morrissey next year maybe?

Beyond what you have mentioned Ciaran Ryan, Alan Murphy and Richie Leahy have looked good at underage level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

We need to do well in the U21 championship this year to bring on hurlers like Maher, Leahy, those jj Farrell is there a long time Brian kennedy they don't seem to be improving maybe other people might see different.

Its a big year for the u21s james maher and liam blachfield should lead the attack with sean morrissey,john walsh maybe luke scanlon if his pushed up.alan murphy should be a bit stronger.ciarian ryan and billy ryan both good hurlers.the backs should be strong evan cody,paddy deegan,jason cleere,ciaran delaney,wallace

• Advertisement

Richie Leahy is probably the most talented minor we've produced since Richie Hogan from what I seen last year. Hard to see him not being on the U21 team

Richie Leahy is probably the most talented minor we've produced since Richie Hogan from what I seen last year. Hard to see him not being on the U21 team

Id expect leahy to be midfield with mullins or scanlon

Did Michael Malone (Mullinavat) come on as a sub against Dublin, and was replaced before the end of the match? I presume he picked up an injury?

Malone came on and took a very heavy shoulder to the head fairly soon after he came on, looked like he was out cold for a few seconds and was replaced by Kevin Kelly I think

Malone came on and took a very heavy shoulder to the head fairly soon after he came on, looked like he was out cold for a few seconds and was replaced by Kevin Kelly I think

Thanks. I wasn't at the game so I wasn't sure what had happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

I can't see anyone troubling The Cats in the championship again this year. They are just on another level to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Am wondering who came out of the JonJo Farrell vs. Cian O'Callaghan battle? That JonJo is a handful but more of a hustler than a finisher from what I have seen of him.

Am wondering who came out of the JonJo Farrell vs. Cian O'Callaghan battle? That JonJo is a handful but more of a hustler than a finisher from what I have seen of him.

Cian won the battle john joe won a free or two and caught a ball or two but he wont put enough on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Over all I'm happy with the league campaign so far, like some others on here I would've preferred to see a few other lads given a chance to prove themselves in competition and strengthen the bench. After the Waterford game i wouldn't have been panicking or anything but if you told me we'd finish top of the League table with only that loss I'd have been very happy with that. This is how I see our main contenders for the AI

Tipp- have been a bit up and down while running up some serious scores, they've also leaked goals. Bubbles only coming on at the end of games to help them over the line, Callanan only back for the last match v Cork. Tipp have unearthed two or three good players who will make a difference come the business end of the year. Ronan Maher at CB has looked decent and Michael Breen in midfield has looked very good especially going forward, John McGrath is not his brother but would be effective in the corner and will cause trouble. Add that with Jason Forde to come back and Tipp have a strong 6 to 15 and the other 5 are ok with Cathal Barrett being very good. I think they're susceptible to having their pocket robbed even though their putting up big scores. Will definitely be our biggest challenge.

Waterford- were going very strong and will be serious competition but I just don't see how they can beat a full strength championship Kilkenny or Tipp without comitting more to the forwards. Some will say well they've beaten both so far but they beat Kilkenny in a bog and just squeezed past Tipp missing a few marquess forwards, I just don't see them being able to do the same on a good summer sod and against full strength panels from either of the top two. They have some fabulous young players like Austin Gleeson, Shane Barrett, Patrick Curran, Colin Dunford mixed in with a few of the older heads. I'd love to see them play with another man committed futher forward or at least running forward to support more readily and quicker than they are at present. If they can do this effectively they could be a serious threat.

Dublin- I really expected more from Dublin on Sunday in the park but they also didn't put out their strongest team and held back McCaffrey (until they were getting wiped) and Dotsy (was warming up all game)who has been one of their more influential forwards from what I've seen of them so far this year. I don't think those player would have made 6 points of difference but it would have been a tougher game. I think Dublin are probably 2 or 3 top players from being a top contender but they do have Conal Keaney to come back but if they had Danny Sutcliffe I'd be confident they could go very well this summer I think the Ger Cunningham project is coming together nicely. They do need to sort out their short puck outs it caused them trouble numerous times. As a lad I go to matches with says "See them short puckouts? They should be banned, ruining the game!!"

Galway- All over the place so far and can't at this moment in time be serious contenders but we've all seen Galway teams galvanise and turn it around in a week or two so nothing would surprise me with them but they had so little fight in them against us in the park I'm not surprised their in a relegation final. They should be a lot better with the quality of players they have.

Cork- Just don't have the players at the minute can do alright when they really apply themselves but this seems to only be the odd time or if a lad gets a flake of a hurl or something to get them geed up. They could be competitive but no better if they tried 100% for 70mins in every match but they're not going to be contenders

Clare- Haven't seen enough to form a full opinion yet but from the bit I've seen their probably only a little better than last year so far. For me they have some great players and a suspect manager.

Limerick- Again I haven't seen a whole lot of them but hopefully with the Na Pairsaigh lads back and the first AI club title for the county it can give them a boost. They have some very good players but very little to no consistence they can be great for 20 minutes and not be seen for another 3 matches type of effort.

Wexford- not contenders getting better though if they can get a few wins they can get that great support out with them and that can drive a team beyond what you'd expect.

Offaly- nope
    Laois- nope
    Kerry- nope
    Carlow- nope
    Westmeath- nope

Kilkenny- I think we're still probably favourites with how we've preformed so far and given who we have to return. If you take the Tipp match and see how we did that day I think is a great indicator of the relative strengths of the teams. That day we played without Richie Hogan, Cillian Buckley, Kieran Joyce (for a lot of it only came on at the end for Joey Holden) Michael Fennelly, Eoin Larkin, Jackie Tyrrell. Tipp were missing Seamie Callanan, Jason Forde and Bubbles for most of the game. I still think a full strength Kilkenny team will have the measure of anything we've seen so far this year.

My starting 15
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden J Tyrrell
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid R Hogan
    C Fennelly K Kelly E Larkin

Subs
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    B Kennedy
    R Lennon
    C O'Shea
    L Ryan
    J Power
    C Bolger
    J Maher
    JJ Farrell
    L Blanchfield

Thats a tough team to beat but will we be able to get them all on the field on the same day?
    Injuries at the minute:
    Fogarty should be ready soon.
    I think Tyrrell is still a better option than S Prendergast nothing against him but Jackie just has a bit more once the rust is run off him.
    M Fennelly will play Championship have no doubt.
    Larkin I expect to be in great shape from reports I heard from his Christmas visit home.
    I'm the opposite of most on here and actually think R Hogan needs more playing time not less to sharpen him up.

We're in big trouble if we got two or three serious injuries to any of that starting 15.

[QUOTE=

My starting 15
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden J Tyrrell
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid R Hogan
    C Fennelly K Kelly E Larkin

Subs
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    B Kennedy
    R Lennon
    C O'Shea
    L Ryan
    J Power
    C Bolger
    J Maher
    JJ Farrell
    L Blanchfield

Thats a tough team to beat but will we be able to get them all on the field on the same day?
    Injuries at the minute:
    Fogarty should be ready soon.
    I think Tyrrell is still a better option than S Prendergast nothing against him but Jackie just has a bit more once the rust is run off him.
    M Fennelly will play Championship have no doubt.
    Larkin I expect to be in great shape from reports I heard from his Christmas visit home.
    I'm the opposite of most on here and actually think R Hogan needs more playing time not less to sharpen him up.
    [/QUOTE]

Wish I could agree with starting Jackie corner back but I can't, he's lost his pace. The word liability comes to mind when I hear Jackie is corner back. Would not like to see the likes of Jason Flynn, Cathal Mannion, Shane Bennett, John McGrath, Shane O'Donnell going in to mark him. He has cuteness that can't be taught but his legs are just letting him down.

I agree that Richie needs a few more games, won't take much to sharpen him up I'd predict, the man is gifted!

Looks a strong team and will be hard bet. Hopefully they can stay injury free as the bench doesn't fill me with optimism unfortunately...

There's no way Kevin Kelly can play full forward. Will get bullied out of every game. Plays in the corner or sits on his arse.

I have a feeling we won't see Kevin Kelly for rest of the year after the league. Just doesn't attack the ball with conviction, frustrating because he has it it all, we seem to be a forward light though and if we get injuries we are in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Malone got a very high tackle last sunday , I saw the article about all the dangerous tackles that have gone unpunished on the irish independent to day regarding Kilkenny hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Could not see Tyrell or Kelly there. Maher looks very promising and Shan Prendergast needs more time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement