Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

kk.man wrote: »
    Very honest...maybe too honest

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

There were 3 diff extracts in the Sunday Indo can only find 2 online, tho

I arrived at James Stephens' old pitch in Larchfield just after 9.0am. I was fresh and well rested because I was asleep just after midnight. I rang in the New Year with Clare but as 2015 segued into 2016, I was already resetting my body-clock and mind to prepare for what I hoped a new season would bring.
    It was cold and frosty. Air temperatures were close to zero. A blanket of frost had coated the ground like icing sugar so I stamped my feet along both 20-metre lines, my footprints acting as markers for the starting and finishing points for a set of runs designed to punish my muscles and unleash torture on my mind.
    I was fully ready for the pain. I wanted it. I needed to feel that burn, almost as a reminder of the hurt of missing out on the 2015 All-Ireland final, as another mental note of never wanting to miss out on that kind of action again.

I won my ninth All-Ireland medal that day but I played no part in the match. That admission may sound vulgar to so many players who would kill for just one All-Ireland medal but that is who I am. That's the kind of wild ambition and selfishness which has made us who we are in Kilkenny. Henry Shefflin is the only GAA player in history with ten All-Ireland medals. And I desperately want to join him.

The rest of the Kilkenny squad are in Thailand since the end of December celebrating that success on our team holiday. Clare couldn't get time off from work in January so the two of us went on the same break in November. It suited me down to the ground because it granted me the time to do some extra work during those two weeks. I was in the gym in Nowlan Park one afternoon over Christmas when I spotted an image on Snapchat of the boys drinking and going mad on a boat. My muscles were screaming for respite with how hard I was pushing myself but the picture provided the rocket fuel for me to drive myself even harder. "I'll be ready for these boys when they come back," I said to myself. "I'll just blow them out of the water when the hard running begins in a couple of weeks."

This is the start of it now for me. I didn't have anyone there to push or encourage me. That didn't matter. The stopwatch on my phone was my timer, which wasn't ideal, but I wasn't worried about split-seconds for now. At this stage, it's about getting the legs pumping, the lungs opened up and storing some juice in the tank for the long-haul journey ahead.
    I was sluggish. By now, I know my usual times for those runs Kilkenny do between both 20-metre lines. My January time is normally 18 seconds. By February, I'd usually be clocking 17. Sixteen seconds is my ultimate target for the summer but I'm almost four seconds off that time now. My average recording over the series of sprints was 19.5. My lungs were screaming for oxygen. The lactic acid was piercing my muscles but I still felt great. Energised. Alive.

I haven't felt that way since the 2015 Leinster final but even that day carried as asterisk. I was taken off against Galway. I was bull-thick and mad keen to prove myself again before the All-Ireland semi-final against Waterford.
    Three weeks out from the match, I was marking Mark Kelly in a training game. It was a typical Nowlan Park match, raw and sparky. I was already on edge so I was like a powder keg waiting to explode. I did when Mark hit me a sneaky slap on the hand.

I turned around and pulled head high on him. It was probably the worst stroke I ever pulled on anyone. It was mean and dangerous. Brian Cody went bananas.
    I had pulled plenty of loose strokes in training over the years and Brian would have just signalled his disapproval by calling my name with the tone of an exclamation mark. "Jaaackie!" This time, he stopped the game and cut me in two.

"Don't ever ****ing do that again," he roared.
    I was so thick that I never turned around. I just kept walking.

"Jackie, get back here."

I faced towards Brian. "If you ever do that again, I'll fire you out that gate and you won't be back."
    Brian normally never loses the rag in a match to that extent but he was still in my ear after training. "You can't be carrying on like that," he said. "You're no good to anyone on the sideline. Because that's where you'll be if you pull like that again." I was still trying to justify my actions, for which I had no defence. "Brian, you didn't see the stroke Mark pulled beforehand."
    "I don't care," said Brian. "I'll have a word with Mark. I know you're probably a little frustrated that you're not going as well as you'd like but you'll be playing the next day against Waterford. And I need you to be ready."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/i-was-fully-ready-for-the-pain-i-needed-to-feel-that-burn-36094446.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Probably more revelatory than Cody would like but I've a feeling that isn't going to bother Jackie terribly these days! One thing is for sure, he had done a good job persuading me to read the book, sounds honest and insightful in a way that many hurling books, especially Kilkenny ones, have not been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

One thing is for sure, he had done a good job persuading me to read the book, sounds honest and insightful in a way that many hurling books, especially Kilkenny ones, have not been.

Yeah, based on those extracts, along with Jackie's columns in the IT, and the fact that he wrote it with Christy O'Connor means that I will buy the book.

Who else from the KK-Cody era has released books? Shefflin, DJ Carey, and Cody himself. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Who else from the KK-Cody era has released books? Shefflin, DJ Carey, and Cody himself. Any others?

Charlie Cater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Probably more revelatory than Cody would like but I've a feeling that isn't going to bother Jackie terribly these days! One thing is for sure, he had done a good job persuading me to read the book, sounds honest and insightful in a way that many hurling books, especially Kilkenny ones, have not been.

He doesn't come across well at all. Not a great pundit either, seems very self absorbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 James lakes

The  best  of  luck  to  our  teams and  managements  in  all  Irelands   this  weekend  do  us  proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Village87

djPSB wrote: »
    He doesn't come across well at all. Not a great pundit either, seems very self absorbed.

Ah he is ok, not the worst out there.. I liked Jackies articles in the times every Sunday, not sure where he can go with them after this year as he talks a lot about his own time ans experiences o big occasions, can only talk about that for so long.

Lacks a bit of charisma on the TV

Village87 wrote: »
    Ah he is ok, not the worst out there.. I liked Jackies articles in the times every Sunday, not sure where he can go with them after this year as he talks a lot about his own time ans experiences o big occasions, can only talk about that for so long.

Lacks a bit of charisma on the TV

Every Friday i mean

• Advertisement

donnem33 wrote: »

Charlie Cater
    The  Beano  comic  was  better  than  that.

donnem33 wrote: »

Charlie Cater
    That was dire, wouldn't mind only enda Mcevoy is ordinary one of the best sportswriters in the country, and his Tommy meagher book is one of the best sports books ever written. But that was just such a non event, every lad he played against was a great person and everything was fantastic, except Cody, who provided the only interesting chapter in the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

That was dire, wouldn't mind only enda Mcevoy is ordinary one of the best sportswriters in the country, and his Tommy meagher book is one of the best sports books ever written. But that was just such a non event, every lad he played against was a great person and everything was fantastic, except Cody, who provided the only interesting chapter in the book.

Id like to hear what the players he played against, thought of him ! :confused::D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The best of luck to our teams and managements in all Irelands this weekend do us proud.

Two tough games for the Black&Amber teams involved , hopefully we can win the 2 of them !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »

Id like to hear what the players he played against, thought of him ! :confused::D
    The thing is I suspect Charlie could have done a great book but he seemed to be holding back and not wanting to tread on toes in print. That's understandable but it doesn't make for great reading is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Whens that book due out?

Whens that book due out?

September 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Interesting proposals for the Leinster Championship next year. KK would be in a group of 5 along with Wx, Gy, Dub and Oy. Presumably 2 home a d 2 away matches. Top 2 contest Leinster Final with winner through to AI semi. I think loser of Leinster final plays third in Munster with winner through to semi.
    All teams guaranteed 4 matches, to win the AI would take 7 matches. Bottom team can be relegated to Tier 2 Christy Ring. Could work but I think 4 group matches would have to be played over 4 weeks and all matches should be played over 10 weeks say from Mid May to end of July to allow club games in August and July

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

If Kilkenny were to win on Saturday, we would top the roll of honour (on our own) at Senior, under 21 and minor level, would be a good end to a pretty dissapointing year.

Galway minors looked excellent on Sunday, their full forward line was as good as i've seen on a minor team, might cause some people to revaluate our minors perhaps, I think we had an an above average Kilkenny minor team this year.

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    If Kilkenny were to win on Saturday, we would top the roll of honour (on our own) at Senior, under 21 and minor level, would be a good end to a pretty dissapointing year.

Galway minors looked excellent on Sunday, their full forward line was as good as i've seen on a minor team, might cause some people to revaluate our minors perhaps, I think we had an an above average Kilkenny minor team this year.
    That  Cork  full  back  line  was  very  shaky  v  Dublin  they  were  there  for  the  taking  in  the  semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

That  Cork  full  back  line  was  very  shaky  v  Dublin  they  were  there  for  the  taking  in  the  semifinal.

The fullback line was probably Corks weakest area but I thought the quality of the Galway full forward line was very good for minor level, 2 very tall strong corner forwards and a very fast full forward, all good hurlers as well.

Are  tickets  for  Saturday   u21  final  in  Thurles  first  come   or  are  they  numbered.

Are  tickets  for  Saturday   u21  final  in  Thurles  first  come   or  are  they  numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Unreserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Surprisingly, KCLR are only doing online commentary of the U21 final

• Advertisement

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=275429

I'd be shocked if cody left but I do hope things are freshened with the backroom team.I'd like to see maybe dj involved,maybe eddie could be in line especially if they win at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I haven't heard of any injuries for the u21's. I imagine the team will be similar to the last day with Pat Lyng replacing Huw Lawlor?

blackcard wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any injuries for the u21's. I imagine the team will be similar to the last day with Pat Lyng replacing Huw Lawlor?

Pat lyng should start,lawlor won't be far away,alan murphy and john walsh should also be close,either way both teams seems to have good squads.The team should be picked tonight,it's going to be very difficult but if play to our full potential we won't be far away

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mary Earnest

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]D Brennan M Cody C Delaney N McMahon H Lawlor J Cleere T Walsh L Scanlon R Leahy J Walsh J Donnelly S Morrissey S Walsh L Blanchfield B Ryan SUBS: A Murphy J Burke D Mullen A Nolan P Lyng M Keoghan E Kenny C O Carroll J Bergin.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

U 21 Kilkenny v Limerick D Brennan M Cody C Delaney N McMahon H Lawlor J Cleere T Walsh L Scanlon R Leahy J Walsh J Donnelly S Morrissey S Walsh L Blanchfield B Ryan

Subs A Murphy J Burke D Mullen A Nolan P Lyng M Keoghan E Kenny C o Carroll J Bergin Team supplied by Kilkenny GAA Supporters

Surprised lyng and Mullen aren't starting, may not be 15 that starts of course

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »

The fullback line was probably Corks weakest area but I thought the quality of the Galway full forward line was very good for minor level, 2 very tall strong corner forwards and a very fast full forward, all good hurlers as well.
    I agree with what you said.

U 21 Kilkenny v Limerick D Brennan M Cody C Delaney N McMahon H Lawlor J Cleere T Walsh L Scanlon R Leahy J Walsh J Donnelly S Morrissey S Walsh L Blanchfield B Ryan

Subs A Murphy J Burke D Mullen A Nolan P Lyng M Keoghan E Kenny C o Carroll J Bergin Team supplied by Kilkenny GAA Supporters

Surprised lyng and Mullen aren't starting, may not be 15 that starts of course

I have to say I'm suprised lyng and mullen arent starting.Mullen has being hurling well,maybe that team mightnt start they've done that a few times this year already although I'd prefer to see the team named that's starting.
    Disappointing for conor doheny to not get back in after his injury.Who does burke replace on the panel from the last day?.....best of luck to both our teams this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

brookville wrote: »
    I have to say I'm suprised lyng and mullen arent starting.Mullen has being hurling well,maybe that team mightnt start they've done that a few times this year already although I'd prefer to see the team named that's starting.
    Disappointing for conor doheny to not get back in after his injury.Who does burke replace on the panel from the last day?.....best of luck to both our teams this weekend

Think Burke is replacing Ryan Bergen in the subs. Think Eddie knows he's in for a battle on Saturday and might be thinking of having the likes of Murphy, Lyng and Mullen to come on and change the game up for us a bit and give us fresh legs around the middle of the field

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Best of luck to 21s and camoige this weekend.also 14 camoige who are playing in all ireland blitz in dublin 2moro.

Just finished reading Jackies book.. Does not portray Brian Cody well. Seemed like he was hell to deal with, comes across very stubborn and old Ireland resilience.

Good read overall, tells a lot in it

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Hi has any one any info on which would be a decent Gaa club to join in Kilkenny city or somewhere not far from it. 2 of us come from England to Kilkenny a few 2-3 times a year and love the hurling. Would like to join a club, watch games, grab a quick pint and help support the club from membership to buying a shirt. Any help is appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Hi has any one any info on which would be a decent Gaa club to join in Kilkenny city or somewhere not far from it. 2 of us come from England to Kilkenny a few 2-3 times a year and love the hurling. Would like to join a club, watch games, grab a quick pint and help support the club from membership to buying a shirt. Any help is appreciated

The best club is the one closest to where your accomodation is or if you're coming over for work - closest to work or join a club where other staff are members. Being part of a community is an important aspect of being a club member.

Thanks for the reply the 3 closest to when I visit would be o'loughlins, dicksboro and James stephens. However erins own and Bennettsbridge are in easy reach. I understand about the community aspect and I know other county clubs would just take your money. I was in o'loughlins this week didn't get they was very interested and seemed clicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hubert Martin

Village87 wrote: »
    Just finished reading Jackies book.. Does not portray Brian Cody well. Seemed like he was hell to deal with, comes across very stubborn and old Ireland resilience.

Good read overall, tells a lot in it
    If it does not portray Cody well how did Cody get the players to play for him. You wonder did Jackie have a chip on his shoulder over the way his season went 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The Dicksboro are the underdogs in town but have a strong coming team this year which if they do well could bring some silverware to the club all help always welcome and plenty of pints too.

• Advertisement

Any club, even the big ones in town, are going to be a bit clicky, it takes time to break down those barriers and it's understandable when you're talking about multiple generations of families for whom the club is the center of their whole social life. That being said you should join dicksboro, they're just generally a better bunch of lads than the other city clubs, I think the other clubs would be the first to admit that.

Also as bigger they come mentioned, the boro are trending in the right direction, and have put up some impressive results this year.

Thanks for the advice I've emailed dicksboro I suppose it's like the old clubs here at night if you sat in someone's regular seat or a stranger won at bingo your doomed lol. Can't beat a few beers and game. I totally get they don't want idiots in and like anyone you look after own crop first

I've emailed clara, bennettsbridge, dicksboro and James stephens. Dicksboro does look promising and some good young talent and just out the city

Thanks for the advice I've emailed dicksboro I suppose it's like the old clubs here at night if you sat in someone's regular seat or a stranger won at bingo your doomed lol. Can't beat a few beers and game. I totally get they don't want idiots in and like anyone you look after own crop first
    Every club already has its quota of idiots, the major challenge each year is to keep them from taking over the executive.

I totally understand your desire to join a club by the way, and I think it's a great idea and if they've any good sense you'll be welcomed in. Living abroad these days and one of the biggest things I miss, by far, is going to a decent low key match on Sunday, and in for a few quiet ones after. Makes hearing the club results and match reports on here a bit bitter sweet to be honest.

I have no Irish heritage at all 1st time I came to Ireland i caught the 2014 Kilkenny v limerick semi final and loved the game and all the community aspect. Makes you look at all the overpaid footballers here and then you see the gaa pure love of there club/county and a tough game. I'm since in Kilkenny abit due to liking the place a lot and just bought 2 racing dogs there

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Well, the Day has come, U-21 All -Ireland final.
    Today will tell us a lot about how good these lads really are. This is a very good Limerick U-21 side who have proven that at minor three years ago, and again how they reached this final. There's been a lot said about the players on this kk U-21 side how good they will be, etc. Let's see today. If all the hype about the players is correct, it should be a great game. Kk will have to get a high score on the Score board as I feel there backs are not as good as there forwards. But let's see. If the full back plays well today, he could find himself starting for kk senior team in the league next spring.
    But there is no doubt that kk need this win. Saying that the minor side lost by one point to the all-Ireland winners, and the minors were very average on that day, showing poor decisions during the game. Back to the U-21s, looking forward to the 15vs 15 game, vs the overhyped, defensive All-Ireland final from last weekend.

Dionysis wrote: »
    Well, the Day has come, U-21 All -Ireland final.
    Today will tell us a lot about how good these lads really are. This is a very good Limerick U-21 side who have proven that at minor three years ago, and again how they reached this final. There's been a lot said about the players on this kk U-21 side how good they will be, etc. Let's see today. If all the hype about the players is correct, it should be a great game. Kk will have to get a high score on the Score board as I feel there backs are not as good as there forwards. But let's see. If the full back plays well today, he could find himself starting for kk senior team in the league next spring.
    But there is no doubt that kk need this win. Saying that the minor side lost by one point to the all-Ireland winners, and the minors were very average on that day, showing poor decisions during the game. Back to the U-21s, looking forward to the 15vs 15 game, vs the overhyped, defensive All-Ireland final from last weekend.

I'm looking forward to going to this match later,hopefully we'll bring a bit of a crowd.
    Limerick are rightly favourites they've answered all the questions.We started nervous but we've being improving game to game and hopefully management now know their best 15.
    Id expect blanchfield out in the half foward line with donnelly and leahy 3 big men and 2x walshes inside with ryan they all have pace and an eye for the goal.
    Hopefully our defence can hold up its a big test for delaney at 3 as someone posted if he goes well he could be in the running for full back on the senior team.
    Anyway best of luck to all involved it'd be a huge boost,pity the weather looks to be wet and windy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Presume tickets are for sale in Semple yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]D Brennan M Cody C Delaney N McMahon H Lawlor J Cleere T Walsh L Scanlon R Leahy J Walsh J Donnelly S Morrissey S Walsh L Blanchfield B Ryan SUBS: A Murphy J Burke D Mullen A Nolan P Lyng M Keoghan E Kenny C O Carroll J Bergin.[/font]

Big test of mettle today and no better than this limerick u21 team to provide it.
    Determination and movement is key.
    If they line out as per programme, as is often not the case, leahy and scanlon are vital. Our forwards are capable of high scores but their movement off the ball and desire to receive the ball will be crucial.
    All of the forwards are experienced but need to put their hands up for a place in the senior panel for the walsh cup.
    It's my belief that these lads are well good enough to do it but it's the eagerness to find the right pass and confidence to takes scores that will see them through.
    Conor delaney was unlucky not to get a run with the seniors this year but he can show today he is up to the standard. Likewise tommy and michael cody.
    Cleere will want to continue God form and huw lawlor has impressed with loughlins.
    Haven't seen enough of mcmahon to comment.
    Plenty of good hurlers on the line to make am impression to.
    Best of luck lads. We could do with a good shot in the arm to have us raring to go next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Jaysus. I know there was a stiff breeze but we were not up for it in the 1st half. Not up to the pace and too slow in possession. Let's hope we will improve big time in the 2nd half. Half forward line hurled out of it. Cmon lads. Get it going

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement