Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    They were favourites last year and got dumped on their a*se in the first round. Favourites again this year even though Callan hurled the crap out of them recently in the league final and get dumped out today by Slieverue. Shocking poor side they are.

Maybe it's time Emeralds should not be favourites. Average team at best. Callan will take stopping if they keep the focus right.

I agree callan look in pole position now,just looking at the programme today o loughlins look decent at junior level some older ex senior players with recent minors,there playing clara tomorrow.

blackcard wrote: »
    I am a believer in playing the best players in their best positions. I think Padraig's best position is rhb. However, because we are struggling in the forwards I would be tempted to play Padraig there with a hb line of Cleere, Buckley, Lawlor.

We struggled all over the place this year and maybe if we had more options we could do this but richie reid was good last weekend in the hb line maybe another club run in that position could see him become an option in defence.
    The round of seniors should be good next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I would be tempted to play Padraig there with a hb line of Cleere, Buckley, Lawlor.

Haven't seen much of him but Lawlor was practically anonymous against the Boro in the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

They were favourites last year and got dumped on their a*se in the first round. Favourites again this year even though Callan hurled the crap out of them recently in the league final and get dumped out today by Slieverue. Shocking poor side they are.

Maybe it's time Emeralds should not be favourites. Average team at best. Callan will take stopping if they keep the focus right.

Was anyone at Piltown - Skeough? Were Piltown decent or Skeough poor? Would Piltown be strong outsiders or would Slieverue/winner of O'Loughlins-Clara have too much for them ignoring the fact John Locke's will be strong favourites overall? BTW I genuinely don't mean this to be offensive but I have no other way of describing the chap. Last year I remember seeing a black guy playing for O'Loughlins (it may have been minor/junior level) and thinking he was very good and as I recall he's young and I thought he was a very good prospect. Recently saw O'Loughlins and was surprised not to see him (again I may have seen him in a minor/junior match last year whereas this was senior) because I was impressed the last day. Anyone know if he's progressing towards/near the senior team (and it'd also be handy if someone knows his name so I can ask about him without running the risk of causing offence)? Remember thinking he looked like an exciting prospect. To my knowledge he has a sister who plays camogie who I've also seen and thought was impressive too.

Also, did I read right somewhere that a B team can't be promoted to intermediate anymore? In that case if O'Loughlins/Clara won junior would the beaten team in the final go up?

In terms of the previous discussion on Gowran, their full back line was like a sieve in the first half yesterday. They moved Michael Carey back into full back in the second half and it did a lot to shore up the defence. Tullaroan looked like they could have scored several goals in the first half, not just the three that they did but rarely if ever looked like doing so with Carey in the number 3 position. It would be hard to judge Tullaroan based on yesterday's performance as the weather was very poor but I hesitantly would move them out of the favourites slot as they did look slow in areas, particularly when Gowran worked hard up front in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

FCIM wrote: »
    Was anyone at Piltown - Skeough? Were Piltown decent or Skeough poor? Would Piltown be strong outsiders or would Slieverue/winner of O'Loughlins-Clara have too much for them ignoring the fact John Locke's will be strong favourites overall? BTW I genuinely don't mean this to be offensive but I have no other way of describing the chap. Last year I remember seeing a black guy playing for O'Loughlins (it may have been minor/junior level) and thinking he was very good and as I recall he's young and I thought he was a very good prospect. Recently saw O'Loughlins and was surprised not to see him (again I may have seen him in a minor/junior match last year whereas this was senior) because I was impressed the last day. Anyone know if he's progressing towards/near the senior team (and it'd also be handy if someone knows his name so I can ask about him without running the risk of causing offence)? Remember thinking he looked like an exciting prospect. To my knowledge he has a sister who plays camogie who I've also seen and thought was impressive too.

Also, did I read right somewhere that a B team can't be promoted to intermediate anymore? In that case if O'Loughlins/Clara won junior would the beaten team in the final go up?

In terms of the previous discussion on Gowran, their full back line was like a sieve in the first half yesterday. They moved Michael Carey back into full back in the second half and it did a lot to shore up the defence. Tullaroan looked like they could have scored several goals in the first half, not just the three that they did but rarely if ever looked like doing so with Carey in the number 3 position. It would be hard to judge Tullaroan based on yesterday's performance as the weather was very poor but I hesitantly would move them out of the favourites slot as they did look slow in areas, particularly when Gowran worked hard up front in the first half.

Lad from o loughlins was u17 on county squad this year but cant remember his name.strong but technically poor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Wasn't Vincent Wallace was it? Not sure he still plays

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Does anyone know what's happening to the club underage grades in KK next year? I've been told Co Board are changing minor to U17 in line with the county grade, and we'll have U15 & U13 to tie in with that.

I'd consider that a bad move because:

1. It'll just lead to a bigger fall off between minor & adult.
    2. In the same way, clubs will find it harder than it already is to put out U21 teams. They shouldn't touch minor until a U19 or at the very least U20 grade is brought in.
    3. I think 14 is time enough for lads to get their taste of club competitive hurling. Up to 13 most of them have schools championships, now at U11 & U13.

My understanding of the change brought in last year for minor was that it only applied to County teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Does anyone know what's happening to the club underage grades in KK next year? I've been told Co Board are chamging minor to U17 in line with the county grade, and we'll have U15 & U13 to tie in with that.

2. In the same way, clubs will find it harder than it already is to put out U21 teams. They shouldn't touch minor until a U19 or at the very least U20 grade is brought in.
    3. I think 14 is time enough for lads to get their taste of club competitive hurling. Up to 13 most of them have schools championships, now at U11 & U13.

My understanding of the change brought in last year for minor was that it only applied to County teams.
    Only county but counties can change if they vote to do so.dublin had a vote on changing from 18 to 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Graigue Ballycallan came from six points down to defeat Thomastown by four. Thomastown looked to be in complete control but goals from Billy Ryan and Jesse Roberts put Graigue in the lead. Eddie Brennan came on as a sub and scored two points. Jonjo Farrell scored six points from midfield for Thomastown who must be wondering how they lost

• Advertisement

A lot of talk bigging up Thomastown since league final, game today shows how competitive that intermediate grade is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Great win for G/Ballycallan, great second half performance. Thomastown were coasting in first half but the introof 3 sbs made all the difference. JJ Farrell was excellent all through, 6 pts from play is serious shooting from midfield/ centre forward in championship match. Thought it was an excellent game, end to end hurling which the big crowd really enjoyed. Billy Ryan's move to full forward along with Eddie's position beside him caused huge fear in Thomastown defenders, who up to this, hurled really well. James Ryall rolked back the years and Conor Flynn, county minor centre back got well on top in second half.
    Intermediate getting very interesting, derby game between Lisdowney and Pats will be worth seeing. Then you could have semifinal between G/B and Tullaroan!!

Graigue Ballycallan came from six points down to defeat Thomastown by four. Thomastown looked to be in complete control but goals from Billy Ryan and Jesse Roberts put Graigue in the lead. Eddie Brennan came on as a sub and scored two points. Jonjo Farrell scored six points from midfield for Thomastown who must be wondering how they lost

Was at it and I thought Ballycallan were never out of it to be honest. Thomastown got six ahead but Ballycallan weren't particularly being outhurled. Neither side greatly impressed me and I can't see Ballycallan getting the goals they needed today against a better team. The team which most impressed me this weekend were Lisdowney actually. They hurled well and it'll be interesting to see if they can put it up to the 'Bridge.

In terms of the O'Loughlins player I was talking about, I think his name is Dacel Fwamba and he was on the u17 county team this year. According to the Indo he's from DR Congo. I was impressed when I saw him, must've been in a minor.

phkk wrote: »
    Great win for G/Ballycallan, great second half performance. Thomastown were coasting in first half but the introof 3 sbs made all the difference. JJ Farrell was excellent all through, 6 pts from play is serious shooting from midfield/ centre forward in championship match. Thought it was an excellent game, end to end hurling which the big crowd really enjoyed. Billy Ryan's move to full forward along with Eddie's position beside him caused huge fear in Thomastown defenders, who up to this, hurled really well. James Ryall rolked back the years and Conor Flynn, county minor centre back got well on top in second half.
    Intermediate getting very interesting, derby game between Lisdowney and Pats will be worth seeing. Then you could have semifinal between G/B and Tullaroan!!

Really enjoyable game in front of a large crowd, (attendance must be up at club level) I thought john donnelly had an excellent 1st half at ff he came out in the 2nd to get ball but wasn't as affective,as said above although ttown were cruising 6 points up I always felt there was going to be a twist,gbc drove a good few wides but were creating chances.sean ryan was lively in the corner and ciarian hoyne hit a monster free when 2 points down It really gave them momentum sure enough the next score was a goal from roberts.
    After looking at tullaroan and gbc it's wide open any team could win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Good win for gbc, haven't seen as big a crowd at an intermediate match in a long time.

Ttown were on top for 45 minutes of the game but couldn't shake off a dogged and resilient ballycallan team. Moving Billy Ryan in and bringing on Eddie Brennan caused consternation and was winning of the game.

Jonjo Farrell hurled as well as I've ever seen him at midfield and most of the six scores were excellent.

Ballycallan will be hard beaten but not sure they have the quality to win it out. Thomastown are very young and didn't reach heights of their performances from rest of the year.

Cody was there and like most club games I'm seeing doubt he saw new talent showing. We need big improvement from what we have and the under 21s need to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

From kilkennygaa.ie

The action next weekend starts with a very attractive double header in Nowlan Park on Saturday in the St Canices Credit Union Senior Hurling Championship. Erins Own take on O'Loughlin Gaels at 2pm and this will be followed at 3.45 by the Ballyhale Shamrocks v Clara quarter-final. The other quarter-finals take place on Sunday at 12.30 - Mullinavat v Dicksboro in Ballyhale and James Stephens v Carrickshock in Thomastown. Also on Sunday at 12.30 Lisdowney will take on St Patricks in the last of the Michael Lyng Motors Intermediate quarter-finals in Freshford.
    Then on Sunday afternoon it is back to Nowlan Park for the Semi-Finals of the JJ Kavanagh and Sons Junior Championship. The draws for these semi-finals along with the intermediate semi-finals take place in Nowlan Park on Monday night at 7.30pm and will be carried live on KCLR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Does anyone know what's happening to the club underage grades in KK next year? I've been told Co Board are changing minor to U17 in line with the county grade, and we'll have U15 & U13 to tie in with that.

The proposal that was being put forward was that the underage structure changes to u13, u15 and minor u17 as you say. Then for one year next year there will be an u18 competition, for the young lads who miss out on minor. I haven't heard if these proposals were ratified or not. There is an u19 competition being organised apparently (not by bord na nog as it would be considered an adult grade).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

GMore V Moocoin
    Eoin and Shane Murphy were outstanding for Glenmore who took full advantage of playing with a Gale wind in the first half. They never looked in bother in second half really although Mooncoin did fight to the very last minute. Mooncoin were completely dominated at midfield and their forwards had showed no real danger. There was a corner back called 'Nipper' who I have seen for Glenmore numerous times and he constantly impresses me. Alan Murphy had some nice touches and was good on the placed balls in first half but more to come from him. Ger Aylward did not tog out and was on water duties but I suspect that might not be the case in two weeks time.....
    GBC V TTtown
    TTown throw this away after collasping after 45mins but fair play to GBC for fighting back. John Donnelly was exceptional in the first half but could not get on much ball in the second half buthe did not have enough support from his other ttown forwards who found the scores from plat hard to get.. Jonjo was causing havoc by picking up the breaks in midfield and running through the middle to pick off his score. Bill Ryan was quite for most of the match until he scored a wonderful goal that was the start of the comeback for GBC. Eamonn Egan I thought was brilliant for GBC and Eddie Brennan picked off two scores when he come on but also could easily have had another two points. Would love to see a Tullaroan v GBC semi final draw as it would have the makings of a cracker
    Slieverue V Emeralds
    The result of the weekend in my opinion as Slieverue picked up a well deserved victory over the emeralds. There was a savage crosswind that seemed to cause problems particularly for emeralds and two early goals put Slieverue on their way and the emeralds were always chasing the game afters. Conor Martin showed well as you would expect at this standard. Taggy was relevantly quiet but the supply ball to him was poor.
    Niall Walsh was good for Slieverue along with the full back and full forward who proved a real handful. Eoin Kenny had a good game too and his running game was very effective. Slieverue were almost the architects of their own downfall as they all pushed back very deep trying to protect their lead which played into the emeralds hand. Would love to see them make a county final but realistically the going to need a favourable draw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

St. Mullins had a six point win in a challenge v Mullinavat yesterday morning. St. Mullins would've been taking it fairly seriously as there are only a few games in the Carlow championship of any real significance until semi final stage.

I heard ger alyward has a shoulder injury glenmore will need him if there going to win the intermediate.His being very unlucky recently with injury.Ballyragget and tullaroan are probably favourites.it was a big win for lisdowney who had the 2 hickeys listed on the bench.
    Looking to this weekend olg should beat comer but I expect comer to give them a good match.
    Bhale should have to much for clara who have a few injures,ballyhale have injected youth into their team id expect the shamrocks to win it out.
    Cshock should have too much for the village who haven't being going great but league form goes out the window
    Boro and vegas also be a good match the boro will favourites but mullinavat coming off a good win against the bridge
    I think the bridge will have their 2 suspended lads back I heard cleere appealed and won

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Is there something on Sunday that the 2 senior & 1 intermediate game are all throwing in at 12.30?

Eir sport are showing the 2 games from Nowlan Park live on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

robwen wrote: »
    Is there something on Sunday that the 2 senior & 1 intermediate game are all throwing in at 12.30?

Yes, Junior Semi Finals are on Sunday afternoon in Nowlan Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

brookville wrote: »
    I think the bridge will have their 2 suspended lads back I heard cleere appealed and won
    What's this now? I was told by a Bridge lad that Cleeres pull was pure stupid and he deserved his red. Heard nothing else since as just assumed he was gone.

robwen wrote: »

Yes, Junior Semi Finals are on Sunday afternoon in Nowlan Park
    I still don't see why the two senior fixtures should clash. I was at the intermediate match between Tullogher and Lisdowney and there was a convoy of cars that went from that match to see Graigue and Thomastown. I imagine a lot of people would like to see both senior matches on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

I still don't see why the two senior fixtures should clash. I was at the intermediate match between Tullogher and Lisdowney and there was a convoy of cars that went from that match to see Graigue and Thomastown. I imagine a lot of people would like to see both senior matches on Sunday

Couldn't agree more.... Fancy James Stephens, Dicksboro, O Loughlins and Shamrocks but not with any great certainty

What's this now? I was told by a Bridge lad that Cleeres pull was pure stupid and he deserved his red. Heard nothing else since as just assumed he was gone.

I was talking to a man at the weekend and thats what he said so I can't say for certain,I agree it's terrible the two sunday are clashing

Intermediate Semi Finals:
    Lisdowney/Ballyragget v Tullaroan
    Graigue Ballycallan v Glenmore

Junior Semi Finals:
    Slieverue v John Lockes
    O'Loughlin Gaels v Piltown

If Lisdowney are as good as they looked yesterday, they could really put it up to Ballyragget and then possibly Tullaroan. I haven't seen Glenmore this year but Ballycallan needed those three goals yesterday as their general play wasn't good enough otherwise so I would imagine Glenmore would be better prepared defensively and win. Slieverue could be dangerous after destroying Emeralds and wouldn't shock me if they got through. O'Loughlins v Piltown is probably harder to predict as I know nothing about their B team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Intermediate Semi Finals:
    Lisdowney/Bennetsbridge v Tullaroan
    Graigue Ballycallan v Glenmore

Junior Semi Finals:
    Slieverue v John Lockes
    O'Loughlin Gaels v Piltown

If Lisdowney are as good as they looked yesterday, they could really put it up to Bennetsbridge and then possibly Tullaroan. I haven't seen Glenmore this year but Ballycallan needed those three goals yesterday as their general play wasn't good enough otherwise so I would imagine Glenmore would be better prepared defensively and win. Slieverue could be dangerous after destroying Emeralds and wouldn't shock me if they got through. O'Loughlins v Piltown is probably harder to predict as I know nothing about their B team.

Bennettsbridge haven't been relegated....(yet)...!

Bennettsbridge haven't been relegated....(yet)...!

Ballyragget

Hard to know what o loughlins like. Could they still lose players to senior? I see Daniel o Connor is playing for them. Think 1 or 2 here were asking about him

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    The proposal that was being put forward was that the underage structure changes to u13, u15 and minor u17 as you say. Then for one year next year there will be an u18 competition, for the young lads who miss out on minor. I haven't heard if these proposals were ratified or not. There is an u19 competition being organised apparently (not by bord na nog as it would be considered an adult grade).

Does anyone know if that was ratified? If there's a u18 comp, does that mean u17 & u18 in parallel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Absolutely disgraceful that the senior matches and intermediate game are all throwing in at 12.30pm on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Village87

Crazy they should be on at 1,3 and 4:30.

Last weekend i got in the 2 Intermediate matches Saturday and Sunday,

I have never seen crowds like it at the Tullaroan v Gowran, Tullogher v Lisdowney and Tomastown v Ballycallan.
    County board must have made a mint.

Then to put 3 big matches together at the same on a Sunday is crazy. Without any disrespect to Junior they will be poorly attended games.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful that the senior matches and intermediate game are all throwing in at 12.30pm on Sunday.
    I suggest people contact the County Board at 056 7765122. I will tomorrow. A lot of people very unhappy with scheduling

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Eir Sport 2 showing the Erin's Own and O'Loughlin's game followed by the Clara and Ballyhale game this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Village87 wrote: »
    Crazy they should be on at 1,3 and 4:30.

Last weekend i got in the 2 Intermediate matches Saturday and Sunday,

I have never seen crowds like it at the Tullaroan v Gowran, Tullogher v Lisdowney and Tomastown v Ballycallan.
    County board must have made a mint.

Then to put 3 big matches together at the same on a Sunday is crazy. Without any disrespect to Junior they will be poorly attended games.
    Co Board doesn't get a cent from either first rounds or QFs.Kk prob last county to give any Co Champ gate money to clubs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Co Board doesn't get a cent from either first rounds or QFs.Kk prob last county to give any Co Champ gate money to clubs!!
    Why don't county board get money from these games?

In Clare, venues get 10% of the gate or if they've a stand 15%. Paid in one lump sum at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Why don'y county board get money from these games?

In Clare, venues get 10% of the gate or if they've a stand 15%. Paid in one lump sum at the end of the year.

I'm open to correction here but in Kilkenny I think that both clubs paying get 10% of the gate receipts and the remainder stays with the host club, the kk county board only gets the gate receipts for games in Nowlan park or in Dunmore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I'm open to correction here but in Kilkenny I think that both clubs paying get 10% of the gate receipts and the remainder stays with the host club, the kk county board only gets the gate receipts for games in Nowlan park or in Dunmore.

Really? Must be a good earner for clubs so. I doubt that would happen in too many other counties. Fair play to yere county board if it is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

its the other way round host club 10%
    competing teams 45% each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Slieverue the story of the championship so far with 2 huge wins. When was the last time they played in nowlan park?

I see on The42 that this may be coming down the tracks from a higher authority. Special Congress on Saturday to decide on it (and plenty other stuff):

Age grades (football & hurling)
    The CCCC/Ard Chomhairle (Motion 20) proposes that underage age grades at club level be altered from U12, U14, U16 and U18 to U11, U13, U15 and U17

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Doesn't really affect the middle ages imo but it throws 12 year olds (and 11 year olds in most rural clubs) into competitive championship very early and leaves 18 year olds in no mans land. There is no proper U21 club championship in any county from what I can see (definitely not in Kilkenny) and very few 18 year olds are ready for senior hurling. It makes clubs second teams, if they have them, extremely important for developing them into adult hurlers. For smaller clubs with one team if you're not good enough to drop into the first 20 of your adult team out of the new minor then the drop off rate will escalate imo.

For the 11/12 year olds its not the competitive action I'd worry about but the lack of game time some will get plus an 11 year old on a full size pitch with a size 4 ball.....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I see on The42 that this may be coming down the tracks from a higher authority. Special Congress on Saturday to decide on it (and plenty other stuff):

Age grades (football & hurling)
    The CCCC/Ard Chomhairle (Motion 20) proposes that underage age grades at club level be altered from U12, U14, U16 and U18 to U11, U13, U15 and U17

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this...

It does baffle me how the important issues seem to escape any discussion on forums, particularly this one. I would have thought the county in Leinster which has the second most rural population would be concerned about the reduction in the number of players that will be available to play at an age group. Maybe these forums are more for the senior inter county hurling enthusiast

Motion 20 – Minor Review Workgroup/Ard Chomhairle

(1) It proposes that underage Age Grades at Club level be altered from Under 12, 14, 16 and 18 to Under 11, 13, 15 and 17.
    (2) It further proposes that the lower age level eligibility at different levels not be altered.
    Example: In the case of Under 18 – a player shall have celebrated his 14th birthday prior to January 1st of the Championship year.
    Effectively the eligibility age span in each case is reduced by one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Mullinavat v Dboro moved to Callan sunday 1.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    It does baffle me how the important issues seem to escape any discussion on forums, particularly this one. I would have thought the county in Leinster which has the second most rural population would be concerned about the reduction in the number of players that will be available to play at an age group. Maybe these forums are more for the senior inter county hurling enthusiast

(1) It proposes that underage Age Grades at Club level be altered from Under 12, 14, 16 and 18 to Under 11, 13, 15 and 17.
    (2) It further proposes that the lower age level eligibility at different levels not be altered.
    Example: In the case of Under 18 – a player shall have celebrated his 14th birthday prior to January 1st of the Championship year.

County Board couldnt give a hoot about the young lads as for most lads contributing to this thread give less of hoot.

• Advertisement

Rubbish comment with more than a hint of arrogance. Lot of people here quite clearly go to matches at a variety of grades, both intercounty and club. There's no need to go down the puffed up chest "I'm a bigger GAA man than you" route which is as childish as it is pathetic. It's all up in the air at the moment, nothing has been voted in and until it is/isn't there's no point in throwing toys out of prams and even then we don't know how each individual county will handle it. There does seem to be a degree of flexibility. Kilkenny have top notch systems and I believe will adapt accordingly including making good any shortfalls. One counter idea, which was already outlined is Junior A/B being further used to bleed in younger players. There are other counties who should be dining at the top table more frequently but aren't because their systems are poor who will struggle more with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

There should be an
    U-11
    U-12
    U-13
    U-14
    U-15
    U-17
    U-19
    U-21

Why?
    Between ages 11 and 15 you need to give lads game time and a year older makes a big difference at these grades. So you have a young lad from nearly two years to one year younger than the team age grade not able to make a team and getting no game. Keep them interested, play plenty games. Have the grades a year apart.
    U-17 to U-21 is to large a gap, and the kk county board have proved that they are probably the worst in the country and converting underage talent to U-21. We need an U-19.
    Development teams need to continue past 17 years, up to U-21.
    A development team/divisional team, north and south playing in the senior grade needs to be created for those past U-21 who have talent but need more nurturing. Even if the GAA council go with lesser teams, kk need to implement there own strategy for improving talent in the county and improving the conversion rate to senior grades.

Dionysis wrote: »
    There should be an
    U-11
    U-12
    U-13
    U-14
    U-15
    U-17
    U-19
    U-21

Why?
    Between ages 11 and 15 you need to give lads game time and a year older makes a big difference at these grades. So you have a young lad from nearly two years to one year younger than the team age grade not able to make a team and getting no game. Keep them interested, play plenty games. Have the grades a year apart.
    U-17 to U-21 is to large a gap, and the kk county board have proved that they are probably the worst in the country and converting underage talent to U-21. We need an U-19.
    Development teams need to continue past 17 years, up to U-21.
    A development team/divisional team, north and south playing in the senior grade needs to be created for those past U-21 who have talent but need more nurturing. Even if the GAA council go with lesser teams, kk need to implement there own strategy for improving talent in the county and improving the conversion rate to senior grades.

Would agree with this. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole idea behind this connected to player burnout? My reservation about following football over player burnout is that hurlers simply don't play the same volume of games at the top level. Let's say for arguments sake that Kilkenny (Galway is an extreme example as they only enter u21 at semis) won the All Irelands in senior and u21 this year and Liam Blanchfield had played in every game of both, he'd still have only played nine games (presuming Kilkenny went the direct route). Compare that to Dublin winning both in football and someone playing every game and it's a total of 11 (again presuming direct routes). It's only two games but two games are still two extra sessions of preparation, training, playing etc. So this ham fisted manner of shoehorning a football idea into hurling is flawed from the outset.

Returning to your idea, which I think is spot on, if player burnout is all this is about then certain roles could be brought in. For example, a player under the age of 21 can only play a maximum number of games/attend a maximum number of training sessions (difficult to police I know) per fortnight/month. Thereby limits could be placed on clubs/counties to prevent overusing players.

Also, the developmental teams need to be fairer. It is nigh on impossible if not impossible for a young player who doesn't attend Kieran's or the CBS to get onto a developmental team in Kilkenny. The impression given is that if you don't attend Kieran's/CBS the powers that be don't think you're up to scratch but it's a big ask for any kid from areas like Piltown, Tullogher or Ferrybank to travel to Kilkenny to school when secondary schools in Mooncoin, New Ross and Waterford are much closer. That's where a southern developmental panel would help but lads from the south shouldn't find it more difficult to get onto the county development panel than lads who have easy access to Kieran's/CBS.

Desperate poor stuff between O'Loughlins and Comer. Referee not helping by blowing for everything either. Second half could be tense though as there doesn't look to be anything between the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Desperate poor stuff between O'Loughlins and Comer. Referee not helping by blowing for everything either. Second half could be tense though as there doesn't look to be anything between the teams.

Who won?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement