Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Who won?

Five minutes to to, O'Loughlin's up by seven points.

Very soft goal for O'Loughlins but they have been very much the better team in the second half without ever really going beyond third gear. Comer's first touch is awful. Gorta still stands out in terms of quality play.

FT OG 1-18 EO 0-13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Comerman

Ballyhale 2.9 Clara 0.7 HT

Great second half - FT BS 2-14 C 2-14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The 2nd game saved the day today,clara will be disappointed not to win after after a really good 2nd half.both teams guilty of wides but clara hit way more.
    Clara set up with 7 at the back and were all over the place,they seemed to go back to 6 backs and were well on top for most of the 2nd half,the shamrocks had a great start with 2 goals but bolger who was quite in the 1st set up 2 and unlucky with the 3rd chance
    I thought joey was steady at 3,richie reid was good at 6 and could be an option in the hb line for kk,up front I thought joey cuddidhy was dangerous while tj and colin had their moments.
    Conor of shea very good for clara,david langton landed a few long frees,liam ryan was his usual lively self,shane pender done a good job on tj but I thought jack langton had excellent 2nd half catching some great ball and working very hard
    Both teams probably happy enough with the draw.looking forward to next wknd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

FCIM wrote: »
    Desperate poor stuff between O'Loughlins and Comer. Referee not helping by blowing for everything either. Second half could be tense though as there doesn't look to be anything between the teams.

Agreed. The ref was very whistle happy, never let anything develop. Made it a very frustrating match to watch.

Agreed. The ref was very whistle happy, never let anything develop. Made it a very frustrating match to watch.

He definitely was whistle happy but no doubting olg were the better team,the 1-2 after half time gave them that cushion,gortha again was their main leader he gave young wallace who I liked as a 21 an awful time winning frees and making a nuisance of himself.that game today should stand to olg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Absolutely, it was a very poor dour affair anyway but the referee was awful. He never ever allowed any flow or pattern to develop whatsoever. Some of the frees he awarded were baffling. The goal straight after the break killed Erin's Own totally. It was baffling that they assigned Conor Delaney to follow Mark Bergin who was pretty non existent in the game all over the field. Delaney not playing at full back hurt them badly especially in the case of the goal conceded. Mark Bergin is not a Richie Hogan, Richie Power etc that you need to worry about him. The full back today was the cause of the goal and if Conor Delaney was there I'd be confident it would not have been conceded. Just a thought that the Comer management paid too much respect in that particular call. Thought Conor Fogarty really worked hard and got on a world of ball. Comer actually had the better goal chances and had 2 or 3 clear cut openings. O'Loughlin Gaels will have to improve on today if they are to do 2 in a row.

The second game was a case of 'which team shot themselves in the foot'???

Ballyhale relinquished an 8 point half time lead and barely...BARELY hung on for a draw in the end. Clara could look at it as have shot themselves in the foot by driving 4 or 5 crazy wides in the closing few minutes of game to win the game.

Chris Bolger woke up in the second half and cause all kinds of problems for the Ballyhale backs who are suspect in the corners in particular with Kevin Mullen getting isolated against Bolger. David Langton, Jack Langton, Liam Ryan all had winning match opportunities but failed to show the clinical edge to see it home.

Ballyhale hurled like they have all year, blitzes in 5 or 10 minute periods but they are seriously reliant on TJ Reid to drag them. Colin Fennelly on the whole was very poor in my opinion, he had a scoring chance right in front of goal in first half 35 metres out and couldn't strike it over the bar. His finishing is not good enough, Lester was not up to much. The second half was exciting as Clara took a hold across the half backline and mid field area and totally dominated the exchanges and breaking ball across this area. Thought the game badly needed Henry to come in for the closing 12 minutes for Ballyhale to settle them down, win a free or get a score to show some leadership. Surprising he was not introduced but maybe He is still injured. Richie Reid was the best at the back for Ballyhale. The difference in the referring in the two games was worlds apart. Sean Cleere brought sense to the 2nd game, called the obvious fouls but allowed physicality, flow, pattern and intensity to the 2nd game. The first referee was a jackass.

Any ideas where the replay is likely to be played? Gowran and Thomastown would seem obvious. Hugginstown though there might be a little further for Clara.

The first ref let that bull**** go on too long with paddy deegan rolling around in agony when Moran tapped the ball away to prevent a quick free. According to KCLR it was a dirt pull, embarrassing stuff and shouldn't be allowed to creep into hurling. Best team won on the day but worrying that Gorta was one of the stand out players.

• Advertisement

Comerman wrote: »
    The first ref let that bull**** go on too long with paddy deegan rolling around in agony when Moran tapped the ball away to prevent a quick free. According to KCLR it was a dirt pull, embarrassing stuff and shouldn't be allowed to creep into hurling. Best team won on the day but worrying that Gorta was one of the stand out players.

Gorta has being olg best forward for the last couple of years so it's no surprise to still see him doing it,i also thought delaney and fogarty worked hard and murphy caused a few problems up front,the referee ruined the game with the frees I thought cleere done a good job.I was very impressed with conor o shea at 6 today he was very strong and despite some terrible shooting there was some good hurling in it.
    Tj was quite today and quite against the rower by his own high standards maybe he needs a break.
    The replay will probably be thomastown although it could be the bridge or gowran.
    Hopefully tomorrow morning is fine I heard today richie power could start against the village

brookville wrote: »
    Gorta has being olg best forward for the last couple of years so it's no surprise to still see him doing it,i also thought delaney and fogarty worked hard and murphy caused a few problems up front,the referee ruined the game with the frees I thought cleere done a good job.I was very impressed with conor o shea at 6 today he was very strong and despite some terrible shooting there was some good hurling in it.
    Tj was quite today and quite against the rower by his own high standards maybe he needs a break.
    The replay will probably be thomastown although it could be the bridge or gowran.
    Hopefully tomorrow morning is fine I heard today richie power could start against the village

I though TJ had a good game though hit some poor wides.

I though TJ had a good game though hit some poor wides.

He was good and is expected to carry some of the fowards but I thought shane pender done a good job and pender learnt from the trimming tj gave him in the league match in thomastown.
    Adrian mullen found it tough when he came on its going to take a year or 2 at club level to find his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Comerman wrote: »

The two relegation matches are also scheduled for Saturday. Maybe they could do a double header with Bridge Martin's Ballyhale Clara at Nowlan Park or Kells Road. Hope they don't clash like the ridiculous situation tomorrow

I thought Darren Mullen had a good game

blackcard wrote: »
    The two relegation matches are also scheduled for Saturday. Maybe they could do a double header with Bridge Martin's Ballyhale Clara at Nowlan Park or Kells Road. Hope they don't clash like the ridiculous situation tomorrow

1st round Leinster JFC is in Nowlan on Saturday at 2. Probably find that there's a better spread of times for the hurling as I'm suspicious that the reason the senior and intermediate matches are at the same time tomorrow is that the county board only earn out of matches at Nowlan Park so they're trying to maximise their return on the matches being hosted there (quite myopically as junior matches won't pull neutrals in, I'll be there but have an interest in one of the teams playing).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I see on The42 that this may be coming down the tracks from a higher authority. Special Congress on Saturday to decide on it (and plenty other stuff):

Age grades (football & hurling)
    The CCCC/Ard Chomhairle (Motion 20) proposes that underage age grades at club level be altered from U12, U14, U16 and U18 to U11, U13, U15 and U17

I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this...
    Good to see some discussion getting going on this, cos I think it is a major issue.
    Anyone know if it was voted in? The change to the All Ireland structure are all over the headlines but i don't see any mention of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

2 more draws today so.

Clutch out of the Boro outscoring Mullinavat 1-3 to no score in the last 10

Best club game I attended this year as Shock drew with the Village in a full blooded encounter. Luke Scanlon led Stephens fightback from six points down. John Power was the best player on view imo with Michael Rice starring also. Credit to both teams. 7 big matches to be played next week

• Advertisement

Best club game I attended this year as Shock drew with the Village in a full blooded encounter. Luke Scanlon led Stephens fightback from six points down. John Power was the best player on view imo with Michael Rice starring also. Credit to both teams. 7 big matches to be played next week

Right match alright with a big crowd,carrickshock will be disgusted not to have won,richie power was lively in the 1st half and could of being sent off for a high tackle in the 2nd although yellow card was fair enough,it wasnt a dirty match but some heavy hitting.
    John power was lively hopefully we'll see him in the county colours next year,dalton,tennyson and rice all good.
    Unfortunately for us the supporters is they'll probably clash next wknd

Where's the seven? Three senior replays and two intermediate semis. What am I missing? (Edit: I forgot the relegation finals were on).

The two junior semis were poor. Piltown were very bad and never once challenged O'Loughlins. Very hard to judge how good O'Loughlins are when playing a team as evidently weak as Piltown were.

The initial exchanges between Slieverue and Callan looked like an exciting match could break out but as things wore on Callan were just too good, it looked like an intermediate side playing a fair but limited junior side. As I said, very hard to judge O'Loughlins given they faced no challenge in Piltown but you'd have to think Callan are just far too strong and James Power in particular looks good.

Semi final draw for senior postponed till after the replays. Final needs to be played off before 5th November though as Kilkenny are scheduled to play Dublin then.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

What a shambles how our fixtures have been ran this year.
    A round of club championship matches had to be played on a Tues night - forcing many players and officials into taking half days off work and now we're in a position of having 5 big games around the county on Saturday where supporters have to choose which great games to miss.

Fair enough it was extreme odds that 3 quarter finals would end in draws but the long gaps in the summer have resulted in having no leeway to spread out the games at this time of year.

I can't understand how it came to this. Over the last 15 years theres been plenty of years when our county senior, u21, minors and intermediates have been in all ireland finals but i can't ever remember a year where the fixtures have been so badly organised.
    Its come back to bite them now.
    If our club games produce more draws and the end of the championship gets pushed back a week we'll be a laughing stock.

How much time do you want between rounds at this stage of the championship? 2 weeks is perfect. Push it to 3 weeks and it's far too long. The Tuesday round of games was ridiculous. When the county lose early in the championship it always plays havoc in the middle of the summer

minty81 wrote: »
    What a shambles how our fixtures have been ran this year.
    A round of club championship matches had to be played on a Tues night - forcing many players and officials into taking half days off work and now we're in a position of having 5 big games around the county on Saturday where supporters have to choose which great games to miss.

Fair enough it was extreme odds that 3 quarter finals would end in draws but the long gaps in the summer have resulted in having no leeway to spread out the games at this time of year.

I can't understand how it came to this. Over the last 15 years theres been plenty of years when our county senior, u21, minors and intermediates have been in all ireland finals but i can't ever remember a year where the fixtures have been so badly organised.
    Its come back to bite them now.
    If our club games produce more draws and the end of the championship gets pushed back a week we'll be a laughing stock.

Leinster Council unlikely to accept there not being a team ready to play in their championship by November 5th when scheduled to play Dublin.

• Advertisement

Leinster Council unlikely to accept there not being a team ready to play in their championship by November 5th when scheduled to play Dublin.

Saturday's Leinster JFC moved from Nowlan Park to Jenkinstown. Fixtures on kilkennygaa.ie groups Village - Shock and Boro - Vat matches together whilst Shamrocks - Clara match has its own slot. Nothing confirmed but looks like pointing to city based double header on Saturday in the park.

Saturday's Leinster JFC moved from Nowlan Park to Jenkinstown. Fixtures on kilkennygaa.ie groups Village - Shock and Boro - Vat matches together whilst Shamrocks - Clara match has its own slot. Nothing confirmed but looks like pointing to city based double header on Saturday in the park.
    It looks that way alright,it was always going to be difficult to arrange these replays but it's a shame as the bridge/muckalee match should be a good match,I wonder will eir try show the clara/shamrocks match?
    Anyone any report on the boro/vegas match?seemed like buckley got a late goal and won the levelling free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Village87

Good match yesterday in TTown, we showed great character to come back in the end led by Heno's great point got us back in the game. Very much 50/50 next day out. Senior is wide open.

Most matches i have attended i really notice that the best hurlers in Kilkenny are 28-29 to 38-39 years old, very few players under this age bracket are sticking out. Yesterday Tennyson, Powers, Rice, Donncha Cody , Eoin Larkin. On Saturday it was still the old stalwarts for Clara, Shamrocks and OLG sticking out again. I dint see the Boro v Mvat match so i cant comment on that

Village87 wrote: »
    Good match yesterday in TTown, we showed great character to come back in the end led by Heno's great point got us back in the game. Very much 50/50 next day out. Senior is wide open.

Most matches i have attended i really notice that the best hurlers in Kilkenny are 28-29 to 38-39 years old, very few players under this age bracket are sticking out. Yesterday Tennyson, Powers, Rice, Donncha Cody , Eoin Larkin. On Saturday it was still the old stalwarts for Clara, Shamrocks and OLG sticking out again. I dint see the Boro v Mvat match so i cant comment on that

I was actually thinking the same myself heading home from the village match,lads like dalton,tennyson,rice,larkin and cody all stood out.I think willie o dywer was the best man on view in the boro match.lads like gortha and john maher from muckalee have being their main men for years but most years we say the same thing.
    On a positive note I thought lads like conor o shea,bolger (2nd half),conor delaney,john power,scanlon,joey cuddihy,liam ryan all impressed at the weekend and some of the hurling was very good so I don't think it's all doom and gloom

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2080

At least the the ballyhale match at 12.30 Saturday and the 2 replays in callan,some common sense prevailed,I'd say a lot of people unhappy last weekend and a good crowd will probably attend all 3 matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

How much time do you want between rounds at this stage of the championship? 2 weeks is perfect. Push it to 3 weeks and it's far too long. The Tuesday round of games was ridiculous. When the county lose early in the championship it always plays havoc in the middle of the summer

I'm guessing that Minty81 is not complaining about the 2 week breaks. These were all dependent on no replays.

But the problem goes back much further in the club Leagues. If you start with Round 3, look at the huge gaps and then the mad pile-ups:

League Rd 3 20 May
    KK vs WX 10 June
    KK vs WD 8 July
    League Rd 4 12 Aug (12 week break, 5 weeks after KK exit)
    League Rd 5 Tue 22 Aug (1.5 week break)
    League Finals & C'ship 1st Rd 16 Sep (3.5 week break)
    C'ship Quarter 30/9 (2 week)
    C'ship Quarter replays 7 Oct  (1 week)
    C'ship Semi 14 Oct (1 week)

I know 3 draws in quarters is a bit of a freak, but really the co board should have made better use of the 5 weeks after the KK exit. Was it 1 or 2 rounds of county U21 in this period?

And of course it was a 12 week break for the vast majority of the club players.

All this is just more evidence of how poorly club players are treated. Yet look at the huge level of interest and support that's out there for the club games. And this is more or less replicated in every single county around the country.

I haven't read a huge amount about the CPA proposals, but I hope they make some progress on this mess...

The latter stages of the championship are always scheduled with the assumption Kilkenny will go deep into the All Ireland series. This schedule is set out at the start of the year allowing players to plan holidays, weddings etc. They can't change it radically because Kilkenny got knocked out. The last round of the league was stupid but done to maximise the preparation for the U21 final. Have a look at other counties club championship and you'll see we're not too bad.

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2080

At least the the ballyhale match at 12.30 Saturday and the 2 replays in callan,some common sense prevailed,I'd say a lot of people unhappy last weekend and a good crowd will probably attend all 3 matches
    If you are going to park beside the GAA pitch in Thomastown, there will be zero chance of getting to Callan for 2.30pm. It took me 45 minutes to get out of there the weekend. Also if you want to attend one of the relegation matches, it means you cant attend other matches. They should have scheduled both relegation matches for 12.30 also with the double header to start at 3. I know there could be extra time in matches but daylight would not be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

There'll be some crowd in Callan I'd say.

Thomastown a nightmare to get out of at any time. They'll be running for the cars. Heard it was a half an hour wait on Sunday alright.

Ordinarily I'd do all three, but not a hope with the first match being in Thomastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Nightmare traffic works on the Callan Rd also at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Village87

Clara v Shamrocks = Clara seem to have the momentum
    Mvat v Boro = Similar to avove
    Village v Carrickshock = Hopefully we can improve more for next day
    Bennetsbridge v Muckalee = 50/50, maybe the beidge have enough

Glenmore v Ballycallan = can go anyway, probably Glenmore
    Tullaroan v Ballyraggett = Tullaroan
    Dunnamaggin v Freshford = Freshford have the better Forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

It looks that way alright,it was always going to be difficult to arrange these replays but it's a shame as the bridge/muckalee match should be a good match,I wonder will eir try show the clara/shamrocks match?
    Anyone any report on the boro/vegas match?seemed like buckley got a late goal and won the levelling free

Unfortunately due to horrendous traffic on the Callan road we got stuck between both sets of traffic lights and were held up at least 45 mins and only got the last 7 mins of the first half in the Boro match. The end of the first half showed Mullinvat using the wind to great effect and the Boro finally getting on the scoreboard after a long time just at the end of the half to leave 7 between them.

In the second half the Boro started bright and looked to be going well but they were still leaking scores to a counterattacking Vat team who kept them pinned back at either 5 or 6 points for the majority of the game. The Boro brought on a lot of subs and had started creating a lot of chances near the goal which were well snuffed out by the Vat backline and keeper who were on top. Both defences looked solid and the Boro started resorting to long shots which were mainly going wide. The Vat forwards fought as a pack for any ball that went in to the Boro half and they did well to take scores when the chances arose. W O'Dwyer was still running the show and Buckley was being left out as the Vat smartly played the ball around him. Eventually with about 15 to go the Boro moved Buckley to midfield and this dramtically changed the dynamic of the game O'Dwyer was very in effectual after this move and the Boro ran at the Vat relentlessly but the their defence stood tall and dealt with most of the attacks very well at most conceding a few points. Eventually after a decent passing and running attack the right man got on the ball on the edge of the large square about 5 yards from the end line and he absolutely hung the the ball in the top far corner of the net. Lots of others had tried in the proceeding minutes but Buckleys power and smart run got him free to get the shot away. A few more points sealed the draw for the Boro. The Vat will be bitterly disappointed and they will know a great opportunity has passed them by but they could do it again if they play with the same drive. I think the Boro have the better hurlers but they will all have to work harder and I think a change or two of positions or personnel could see the Boro win out the replay. The Boro hit 15 wides where as the Vat only hit 4 it was a day where most things went right for the Vat due to the great effort they put in. A lot of shots didn't work out for the Boro due to being inexperienced and under pressure and probably the wind too but the Vat lads had to do contend with the same but just made more use of their chances. Personally I'd have Buckley and Ollie Walsh in midfield they cause so much trouble when they play their together. Evan Cody played well and is becoming the player he was 3 years ago at U21 at senior now. Conor Doheny played well when he came on for an injured Oisin Gough. Ollie Walsh was playing high up the field against a packed Vat defence and wasn't as good as he is from deep. Bill Sheehan was a real live wire up front and caused a lot trouble for the Vat defence. Eoin Gough (who normally played CB up to this year) had 2 or 3 goal chances well snuffed out on the edge of the square he shows great fight and wins huge amount of ball for the Boro but really needed to get his shots of quicker.
    I don't know the Vat lads haven't seen them all year and the defence who were doing all the hurling in the second half were facing me so I couldn't see numbers but they all did well from one to 9 with Aylward and O'Dwyer standing out for me, along with the other midfielder (don't know his name). They actually didn't have masses of talent up front, like the Boro, John Walsh caused some consternation at times but the Boro dealt with them well enough in the second half obviously not in the first half though.

I would advise anyone heading out to the matches in Callan to leave in plenty of time if travelling out the Callan road from town, or take an alternative route.

Unfortunately due to horrendous traffic on the Callan road we got stuck between both sets of traffic lights and were held up at least 45 mins and only got the last 7 mins of the first half in the Boro match. The end of the first half showed Mullinvat using the wind to great effect and the Boro finally getting on the scoreboard after a long time just at the end of the half to leave 7 between them.

In the second half the Boro started bright and looked to be going well but they were still leaking scores to a counterattacking Vat team who kept them pinned back at either 5 or 6 points for the majority of the game. The Boro brought on a lot of subs and had started creating a lot of chances near the goal which were well snuffed out by the Vat backline and keeper who were on top. Both defences looked solid and the Boro started resorting to long shots which were mainly going wide. The Vat forwards fought as a pack for any ball that went in to the Boro half and they did well to take scores when the chances arose. W O'Dwyer was still running the show and Buckley was being left out as the Vat smartly played the ball around him. Eventually with about 15 to go the Boro moved Buckley to midfield and this dramtically changed the dynamic of the game O'Dwyer was very in effectual after this move and the Boro ran at the Vat relentlessly but the their defence stood tall and dealt with most of the attacks very well at most conceding a few points. Eventually after a decent passing and running attack the right man got on the ball on the edge of the large square about 5 yards from the end line and he absolutely hung the the ball in the top far corner of the net. Lots of others had tried in the proceeding minutes but Buckleys power and smart run got him free to get the shot away. A few more points sealed the draw for the Boro. The Vat will be bitterly disappointed and they will know a great opportunity has passed them by but they could do it again if they play with the same drive. I think the Boro have the better hurlers but they will all have to work harder and I think a change or two of positions or personnel could see the Boro win out the replay. The Boro hit 15 wides where as the Vat only hit 4 it was a day where most things went right for the Vat due to the great effort they put in. A lot of shots didn't work out for the Boro due to being inexperienced and under pressure and probably the wind too but the Vat lads had to do contend with the same but just made more use of their chances. Personally I'd have Buckley and Ollie Walsh in midfield they cause so much trouble when they play their together. Evan Cody played well and is becoming the player he was 3 years ago at U21 at senior now. Conor Doheny played well when he came on for an injured Oisin Gough. Ollie Walsh was playing high up the field against a packed Vat defence and wasn't as good as he is from deep. Bill Sheehan was a real live wire up front and caused a lot trouble for the Vat defence. Eoin Gough (who normally played CB up to this year) had 2 or 3 goal chances well snuffed out on the edge of the square he shows great fight and wins huge amount of ball for the Boro but really needed to get his shots of quicker.
    I don't know the Vat lads haven't seen them all year and the defence who were doing all the hurling in the second half were facing me so I couldn't see numbers but they all did well from one to 9 with Aylward and O'Dwyer standing out for me, along with the other midfielder (don't know his name). They actually didn't have masses of talent up front, like the Boro, John Walsh caused some consternation at times but the Boro dealt with them well enough in the second half obviously not in the first half though.

I would advise anyone heading out to the matches in Callan to leave in plenty of time if travelling out the Callan road from town, or take an alternative route.

Thanks for the post.
    Id say a lot of people like myself will hope to get the get the 3 marches in but it looks like getting to callan sounds challenging,I think lads are better going up through cuffesgrange.
    I seen mullinavat already this year and I was impressed with them and wasn't surprised to see them pushing the boro,their very physical and fit and can cause teams trouble,I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them called into the county next month.
    I also agree that evan cody seems to be improving so hopefully he can see league time next spring,he was unfortunate to make his debut in that terrible performance against clare in the league
    Finally well done to the 3 u21 all stars,leahy maybe unlucky and cleere maybe lucky but I hope darren brennan be used as our sub keeper next year his an excellent keeper,conor delaney was very solid all year and should definitely be part of the panel next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Clara v Shamrocks = Shamrocks
    Mvat v Boro = Boro
    Village v Carrickshock = Carrickshock
    Bennetsbridge v Muckalee = Bridge

Glenmore v Ballycallan = Glenmore
    Tullaroan v Ballyraggett = Ballyragget
    Dunnamaggin v Freshford = Freshford

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

When will next KK U21 management be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

DJ Carey has got offered the job already. Don't know if he is accepting it or not but he has been offered it alright.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    DJ Carey has got offered the job already. Don't know if he is accepting it or not but he has been offered it alright.

I hope he gets it and a good backroom team selected

What are people's thoughts on dj being offered the job?personally I hope he takes it,he has done great work in carlow and so his not coming in with no experience at a coaching.
    I also think we will be decent next year at that level,lads like tommy walsh,bergin,cody,doheny,mullen,leahy,donnelly,gaffney and mossy keoughan will be there again next year and lads like Shane murphy,joe cuddihy,conor hennessy all have potential
    I think conor browne underage aswell
    Im hopefull we can pick a few out from this year's minor team aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

What are people's thoughts on dj being offered the job?personally I hope he takes it,he has done great work in carlow and so his not coming in with no experience at a coaching.
    I also think we will be decent next year at that level,lads like tommy walsh,bergin,cody,doheny,mullen,leahy,donnelly,gaffney and mossy keoughan will be there again next year and lads like Shane murphy,joe cuddihy,conor hennessy all have potential
    I think conor browne underage aswell
    Im hopefull we can pick a few out from this year's minor team aswell.

I said in an earlier post that it was good to see DJ learning his 'manager' trade with Carlow IT. He has also managed Gowran at intermediate and coached KK U14 this year. He is very well liked and highly thought of. My only reservation is he has two sons eligible for U21 and I don't think fathers being managers and sons being players is ideal... That's not a go at DJ, that is just a general but important observation. I wish him and KK the very best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

I said in an earlier post that it was good to see DJ learning his 'manager' trade with Carlow IT. He has also managed Gowran at intermediate and coached KK U14 this year. He is very well liked and highly thought of. My only reservation is he has two sons eligible for U21 and I don't think fathers being managers and sons being players is ideal... That's not a go at DJ, that is just a general but important observation. I wish him and KK the very best

In fairness neither are good enough so that takes the decision away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think it would suit him well. In GAA terms, U21's is a short enough season.

He could double up that role with Carlow IT as they are at different times of the year I'd say.

An exciting but not exactly quality packed match in Thomastown. Ballyhale were the better and deserved the win but it was a workmanlike performance from both teams rather than anything sparkling.

Boro, Ballyhale and Village all through. Three city teams in the semis and a fair chance of the first city derby county final since 1937 (possibly since 1950 but I don't know where Eire Og were from).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Boro, Ballyhale and Village all through. Three city teams in the semis and a fair chance of the first city derby county final since 1937 (possibly since 1950 but I don't know where Eire Og were from).

Eire Og were townies!

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    Eire Og were townies!

Last city derby county final was 1950 then and Dicksboro beat Eire Og after a replay.

Last city derby county final between teams which aren't defunct was 1937 and the Village beat Dicksboro.

In terms of other defunct teams, I know Erin's Own were city boys and you've told me that Eire Og were. I think Confederation were a city team. What was Near South Selection???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement