Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

to early to be writing jackie off.alot of training and hurling to be done before we play first game in the championship.as for the opposition I think limerick will be dark horses in munster.with the na piarsaigh players back I fancy them to cause a few shocks.draw has been kind once again for galway in leinster but they lack real bollocks for me.dirt has been more their thing over the last few years.wexford should be better but all does not seem well behind the scenes.they really need a result against the dubs.tipp look strong but indiscpline and a suspect full back line may be their undoing.as for clare we will wait and see how they shape up.sweeper or no sweeper.waterford talented but system seems more important than talent.cant see a team who dont score goals winning all ireland.as for cork talented forwards need to play natural game and find some grit and determination.

on a seperate note.what 1 player would you pick from another team to play on our 15.for me it would be conor lehane from cork given we need a forward since ger out and richie retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Callanan for me as I feel we are playing TJ in half forward line and Richie Hogan in side but if we had another scoring machine inside then two boys would do loads of damage out the field also.

This team with a fast eddie type goal poacher would bring it on a lot, feels like the type of player we are missing, Colin Fennelly has the pace but not the finishing.

If not Callanan I would take Cathal Barrett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd pick Séamus Callanan as well. Full-forward target man. Exactly what we need.

Other than that I wouldn't mind seeing what Joe Canning could do if he wore a KK jersey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'd pick Séamus Callanan as well. Full-forward target man. Exactly what we need.

Other than that I wouldn't mind seeing what Joe Canning could do if he wore a KK jersey :)

If Joe wore the black and amber then the rest of the country would be best advised to just start playing cricket or some other sport!

Thankfully for us though he plays in maroon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Who would you expect to see start instead of John Power, not having a go at what you have said above, just curious to see who will take Ger Aylwards spot. Not much really between Kevin Kelly, James Maher and John Power based on the performances in the league. Can't see Conor Martin or JJ Farell starting and Chris Bolger appears to out of favour a bit.

For the summer and all being well - Murphy as keeper..anyone think R Reid can stake a claim?

Well I'd say defence will be the settled six of Pm, Joey and Shane. Half back line of PW, Joyce in the middle and CB on the wing. MF and CF, if fit, will be the midfield pairing.

Lester is doing well in my opinion and is good back up. Anyone see him as a option at half forward? Scoring more points than any of the lads who have came in this season.

Half forward line of Wally, Richie Hogan and ???

Full forward of T.J., Colin F. and Eoin Larkin.

Half forward or corner forward position, depending on system, available!!!

Between Maher, J Power, Bolger or Kevin Kelly???

Have i left anyone out?

Over all I'm happy with the league campaign so far, like some others on here I would've preferred to see a few other lads given a chance to prove themselves in competition and strengthen the bench. After the Waterford game i wouldn't have been panicking or anything but if you told me we'd finish top of the League table with only that loss I'd have been very happy with that. This is how I see our main contenders for the AI

Tipp- have been a bit up and down while running up some serious scores, they've also leaked goals. Bubbles only coming on at the end of games to help them over the line, Callanan only back for the last match v Cork. Tipp have unearthed two or three good players who will make a difference come the business end of the year. Ronan Maher at CB has looked decent and Michael Breen in midfield has looked very good especially going forward, John McGrath is not his brother but would be effective in the corner and will cause trouble. Add that with Jason Forde to come back and Tipp have a strong 6 to 15 and the other 5 are ok with Cathal Barrett being very good. I think they're susceptible to having their pocket robbed even though their putting up big scores. Will definitely be our biggest challenge.

Waterford- were going very strong and will be serious competition but I just don't see how they can beat a full strength championship Kilkenny or Tipp without comitting more to the forwards. Some will say well they've beaten both so far but they beat Kilkenny in a bog and just squeezed past Tipp missing a few marquess forwards, I just don't see them being able to do the same on a good summer sod and against full strength panels from either of the top two. They have some fabulous young players like Austin Gleeson, Shane Barrett, Patrick Curran, Colin Dunford mixed in with a few of the older heads. I'd love to see them play with another man committed futher forward or at least running forward to support more readily and quicker than they are at present. If they can do this effectively they could be a serious threat.

Dublin- I really expected more from Dublin on Sunday in the park but they also didn't put out their strongest team and held back McCaffrey (until they were getting wiped) and Dotsy (was warming up all game)who has been one of their more influential forwards from what I've seen of them so far this year. I don't think those player would have made 6 points of difference but it would have been a tougher game. I think Dublin are probably 2 or 3 top players from being a top contender but they do have Conal Keaney to come back but if they had Danny Sutcliffe I'd be confident they could go very well this summer I think the Ger Cunningham project is coming together nicely. They do need to sort out their short puck outs it caused them trouble numerous times. As a lad I go to matches with says "See them short puckouts? They should be banned, ruining the game!!"

Galway- All over the place so far and can't at this moment in time be serious contenders but we've all seen Galway teams galvanise and turn it around in a week or two so nothing would surprise me with them but they had so little fight in them against us in the park I'm not surprised their in a relegation final. They should be a lot better with the quality of players they have.

Cork- Just don't have the players at the minute can do alright when they really apply themselves but this seems to only be the odd time or if a lad gets a flake of a hurl or something to get them geed up. They could be competitive but no better if they tried 100% for 70mins in every match but they're not going to be contenders

Clare- Haven't seen enough to form a full opinion yet but from the bit I've seen their probably only a little better than last year so far. For me they have some great players and a suspect manager.

Limerick- Again I haven't seen a whole lot of them but hopefully with the Na Pairsaigh lads back and the first AI club title for the county it can give them a boost. They have some very good players but very little to no consistence they can be great for 20 minutes and not be seen for another 3 matches type of effort.

Wexford- not contenders getting better though if they can get a few wins they can get that great support out with them and that can drive a team beyond what you'd expect.

Offaly- nope
    Laois- nope
    Kerry- nope
    Carlow- nope
    Westmeath- nope

Kilkenny- I think we're still probably favourites with how we've preformed so far and given who we have to return. If you take the Tipp match and see how we did that day I think is a great indicator of the relative strengths of the teams. That day we played without Richie Hogan, Cillian Buckley, Kieran Joyce (for a lot of it only came on at the end for Joey Holden) Michael Fennelly, Eoin Larkin, Jackie Tyrrell. Tipp were missing Seamie Callanan, Jason Forde and Bubbles for most of the game. I still think a full strength Kilkenny team will have the measure of anything we've seen so far this year.

My starting 15
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden J Tyrrell
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid R Hogan
    C Fennelly K Kelly E Larkin

Subs
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    B Kennedy
    R Lennon
    C O'Shea
    L Ryan
    J Power
    C Bolger
    J Maher
    JJ Farrell
    L Blanchfield

Thats a tough team to beat but will we be able to get them all on the field on the same day?
    Injuries at the minute:
    Fogarty should be ready soon.
    I think Tyrrell is still a better option than S Prendergast nothing against him but Jackie just has a bit more once the rust is run off him.
    M Fennelly will play Championship have no doubt.
    Larkin I expect to be in great shape from reports I heard from his Christmas visit home.
    I'm the opposite of most on here and actually think R Hogan needs more playing time not less to sharpen him up.

We're in big trouble if we got two or three serious injuries to any of that starting 15.

Excellent analysis. I would be very worried if T.J. got injured.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    on a seperate note.what 1 player would you pick from another team to play on our 15.for me it would be conor lehane from cork given we need a forward since ger out and richie retired.

Good question - i think we'd need to be creating more goal chances. Lehane was good last week alright.

I'd go for Austin Gleeson. Bit of a loose cannon but loads and loads of talent. Might not be the ultimate team player but he'd be be unpredictable on the KK....if BC wasn't the manager!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

If I could pick a forward I'd go for callanhan.his being in great form for the last two years and unlucky to miss out on hoty.joe is a player I love watching when his on his game.harnedy deserves a mention aswell his not as flashy as the other two but his very effective.I'd pick barrett or connors in defence........what kind of team would we me to see the next day?hopefully tj will get a rest and we get a look at lennon again and maybe liam blanchfield and conor o shea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Has Sean O Shea of Clara ever been on the panel? Has always stood out at full back any club match iv seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

For me it would have to be Joe Canning. Great players feed off each other like Messi, Suarez and Neymar. Imagine Joe, TJ Reid and Richie Hogan.

Has Sean O Shea of Clara ever been on the panel? Has always stood out at full back any club match iv seen

No he was excellent in 2013 and I was expecting him to make the panel but he has suffered with injuries and hasn't reached the same level.it's unlikely we see him now unfortunately as I felt he had something to offer

we havent seen bolger oshea lyng blanchfield yet in this league.does anyone think we will see them start sunday week.also what about lennon getting a run at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Doubt that there will be many changes for next match, if Colin Fennelly is back. Cody finds it virtually impossible to make timely changes during matches and I dont see him straying too far from the team for the second last match unless Michael Fennelly Larkin and Fogarty are around.

unrealtime wrote: »
    Doubt that there will be many changes for next match, if Colin Fennelly is back. Cody finds it virtually impossible to make timely changes during matches and I dont see him straying too far from the team for the second last match unless Michael Fennelly Larkin and Fogarty are around.
    Mick fennelly and larkin will miss the league which is no harm as the rest will do them no harm,scruff will also miss a few more weeks which gives richie reid some experience.Joe lyng is only back from injury I wouldn't be surprised to c him getting a match,lennon was suppose to start full back against cork but he got injured before it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

The one thing you would be worried about the match v Offaly that players would be targeted get injured because what we have seen through the league a lot of our players have been tackled dangerously got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

For the summer and all being well - Murphy as keeper..anyone think R Reid can stake a claim?

Well I'd say defence will be the settled six of Pm, Joey and Shane. Half back line of PW, Joyce in the middle and CB on the wing. MF and CF, if fit, will be the midfield pairing.

Lester is doing well in my opinion and is good back up. Anyone see him as a option at half forward? Scoring more points than any of the lads who have came in this season.

Half forward line of Wally, Richie Hogan and ???

Full forward of T.J., Colin F. and Eoin Larkin.

Half forward or corner forward position, depending on system, available!!!

Between Maher, J Power, Bolger or Kevin Kelly???

Have i left anyone out?

Don't rule out MF at CF. That would kill two birds for Cody. Bolster a forward line weakened by retirements/injuries and free up a spot for you know who!

citykat wrote: »
    Don't rule out MF at CF. That would kill two birds for Cody. Bolster a forward line weakened by retirements/injuries and free up a spot for you know who!

DC...mmm..possibly. I suppose how the league pans out.

Is Michael Rice an option?

Players these days play everywhere, there's so much rotation when the whistle blows. We can, like most teams, move players about positionally depending who's available.

DC...mmm..possibly. I suppose how the league pans out.

Is Michael Rice an option?

Players these days play everywhere, there's so much rotation when the whistle blows. We can, like most teams, move players about positionally depending who's available.

I think when it comes to crunch time during the summer hogan will be at 11,fennelly was tried a few times at 11 but mid field is definitely his best position.lester has had a good league so far but i dunno if he can take it to the next level.ger aylwards position is the only one I see up for grabs no1 has stood out so far but it's early days.what's the story with rice is he injured again or retired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Interesting first half between Kieran's and Ardscoil. Thought we were fortunate to be ahead to be honest. They seemed to be picking scores a lot handier early on, and their fielding around the middle of the park was much crisper than ours, we took time to settle. Mullen has been very good though, draw a couple of frees and created trouble for their backs. The goal by the lad Cuddihy at full forward was excellent opportunism, was in the right place to read the break and had the confidence to run at the goal. They settled a bit after that. Good entertaining game all in all so far and the ref has been consistent and unintrusive.

• Advertisement

Interesting first half between Kieran's and Ardscoil. Thought we were fortunate to be ahead to be honest. They seemed to be picking scores a lot handier early on, and their fielding around the middle of the park was much crisper than ours, we took time to settle. Mullen has been very good though, draw a couple of frees and created trouble for their backs. The goal by the lad Cuddihy at full forward was excellent opportunism, was in the right place to read the break and had the confidence to run at the goal. They settled a bit after that. Good entertaining game all in all so far and the ref has been consistent and unintrusive.

If Kierans had taken those two goal chances they'd be cruising. They were the better team in that half. They're winning most of their battles and have finished the half stronger. They'll have the wind in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »
    If Kierans had taken those two goal chances they'd be cruising. They were the better team in that half. They're winning most of their battles and have finished the half stronger. They'll have the wind in the second half.

I thought they were slow to find their form tbh. Either way they clearly had the better players and that showed increasingly as the game wore on. Made tough work of it in the very end considering how at their ease they looked in the second half. Cuddihy MOTM (was it him who kneed the ASR back in the chest near the end? Bit of a dirty blow whoever it was). All in all a very good performance from kieran's and another notch on the belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

3 in a row I think isn't it?

Congrats to Kieran's on yet another All-Ireland title.

I only saw the last 20 minutes and to me, Ardscoil Rís looked the stronger for that period. Kirwan awarded Ardscoil a couple of soft frees though that helped them close the gap.

3 in a row I think isn't it?

Yep.

Roll of honour:
    1948, 1957, 1959, 1961, 1965, 1971, 1975, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016.

I thought they were slow to find their form tbh. Either way they clearly had the better players and that showed increasingly as the game wore on. Made tough work of it in the very end considering how at their ease they looked in the second half. Cuddihy MOTM (was it him who kneed the ASR back in the chest near the end? Bit of a dirty blow whoever it was). All in all a very good performance from kieran's and another notch on the belt.

I'd agree with that. Thought Kierans were the better team overall; better looking hurlers; more comfortable on the ball. That was encapsulated by the ASR forward near the end who chose to kick the ball rather than get it on to his hurl for an attempt on goal.
    ASR got the start they needed in the second half with the goal and kept themselves within scoring distance. Kierans never really managed to convert their quality into scores. Thought the ref was harsh on them on times with some of his decisions but he was soft on Cuddihy at the end who could have walked for lashing out. Some achievement for some of those lads including Cuddihy to win three in a row.

What Kieran's players are eligible to play Minor for Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

blackcard wrote: »
    What Kieran's players are eligible to play Minor for Kilkenny?

I understand that only 4 of the team today were starters last year, that shows amasing strength for a schools team, a lot of the strong players on the team including Tommy Walsh, both Mullens, Joe Connolly, Sean Carey, Evan Carroll, Martin Keoghan, Matt Kenny, and Edward Moylan are eligible for minor hurling thus year.

Of course last year there were a few Kierans subs on the minor team so maybe there is more. I think that was an exceptionally strong schools team though.

Was down at colleges' finals. Heavy rain all week in Thurles made pitch very heavy. In first game, SLGS Ballymena had lads going down with cramp with 10 mins left. Didn't seem to bother Abbey lads though. Game went to extra time.

In 'A' final' Kierans' lads were going down near the end with cramp..not just 1 lad but 2 or a 3. Strange to see. Didn't seem to affect ASR...maybe i'm wrong?

I thought Kieran's were always the better team. The goal ASR got at start of 2nd half boosted them and kept them in touch. They deservedly won the game by playing in fits and starts.

One note in first final was the Abbey player who played a day after his sister's funeral. Well done to him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I see Ger Loughnane thinks we have a team of "functional" players and that we shouldn't have won the last two All Irelands.

Taken from part of a long interview on GAA.ie
    http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/the-big-interview-ger-loughnane/

John Harrington asking the questions:
    JH: Once again, are we in a situation where there are question-marks or what ifs about every team other than Kilkenny. You know exactly what you're going to get from Kilkenny and it has won them the last two All-Irelands. They might not have the players they once did, but they are solid and you know what you're going to get and there's no what ifs.

GL: I would say this. Looking at Kilkenny now and their personnel, there is no way that Kilkenny should be winning the All-Ireland. There is no way this Kilkenny team should be going for three-in-a-row. Three-in-a-rows were so hard to get before Brian Cody came along. And teams that won three-in-a-rows were legendary teams. Now the present Kilkenny team is functional beyond belief, and they're getting the best out of what they have to an extent that no-one else could do other than Brian Cody. But, at the same time, a team with that talent should not be winning an All-Ireland. I have no problem in saying that. They should not be winning an All-Ireland with that team. Totally dependant on TJ Reid, one forward, and maybe Richie Hogan as well.

The danger of course is that the longer they go on the harder it will be to beat them. Will Mick Fennelly come back even if it's only for a few games? Eoin Larkin will be back again. The longer they go on, the bit more difficult they'll be to beat. I think if they're not stopped in an All-Ireland quarter-final or semi-final, then they won't be stopped on the first Sunday in September. That's the point where you must stop them.

Who'll stop them there? Maybe Clare could stop them at that juncture. At a semi-final or quarter-final. But they have to be stopped there because once they get into the All-Ireland Final at all they're able to deal with the occasion and they're able to produce a display in an All-Ireland Final. Cody can get so much out of them and time his run to get them at their very peak for the All-Ireland that nobody else can reach. No matter what backroom they have or expertise they have, they can't match the instinct of Cody. He's just a once-off, totally exceptional person in charge of a team. What he can get out of players is remarkable.

JH: In some ways have the last two All-Irelands been his greatest achievements of all because he doesn't have the quality of player he once did?

GL: You can't put in words the greatness of Cody. But how you can even begin to start to measure it is the incredible consistency of performance of his teams over the whole era he's been in charge. How many sub-standard performances did they produce in big games? You wouldn't need a hand to count them in the 15 years or whatever he's been in charge. The absolute level of consistency of high performance and getting the best out of players is just extraordinary. And the culture he has created within Kilkenny. The hurling culture he has created there. What every other county wouldn't give to have a culture like that. That every young lad from the time he's able to walk, his ambition is to get a hurley first of all and then improve himself to the extent that he can get on the county team.

If only other counties could have a culture like that, hurling would be in Shangri La. If you could have that kind of thing because you'd have such competition. I suppose it all comes from his own personality. The consistency of his own personality. He never does or says anything that's not in keeping with his own personality. To maintain that for 15 years can't be fake. It has to be totally and utterly genuine. He's an extraordinary person. Just an extraordinary person who has created an extraordinary culture within his own county and it's from that then that everything else stems. If only other counties could get something like that.

I wonder how the lads will feel about this?

This is how I would rate our panel for championship
    1-3 not good enough to play for Kilkenny
    4-5 Functional (do a job but not anything amazing)
    6-7 Good player
    8-9 Great player
    10 The best in position

Eoin Murphy-9- absolutely class keeper and overall hurler
    Paul Murphy-9- starting to be a legend only Cathal Barrett-9- can come close to him at the moment
    Joey Houlden-8- definitely more than functional but not a Noel Hickey or JJ but I'd give him more time to cement his reputation
    Jackie-8- legend, has been better but i think he can get back to it.
    Shane Prendergast-5- functional no doubt but needs more time to be truly judged has only played two championship matches
    Padraig Walsh-9- excellent and if he keeps going at his current trajectory could equal Tommy for his displays
    Kieran Joyce-7- Again a step above functional have great time for him but I would take Liam Rushe-9- if there was a transfer system.
    Cillian Buckley-9- savage player and only getting better
    Conor Fogarty-9- so beyond functional it's not funny, he plays a very simple game but is probably Kilkennys most important player most days
    Mick Fennelly-9- Functional really???? Absolute powerhouse!
    Lester Ryan-5- agree functional but doesn't play championship much
    Walter Walsh-7- definitely a step above functional but can and hopefully will be so much more
    TJ Reid-10- Functional???? get f***ed Loughnane hurler of the year two years in a row.
    Colin Fennelly-7- Step above functional definitely but can be just functional on some days
    Eoin Larkin-10- absolute legend
    Richie Hogan-10- don't even start will battle TJ for Hurler of the year all the way
    Kevin Kelly- so far as been functional but has so much more potential
    James Maher- loads of potential hard to tell yet
    John Power-5- Functional could be so much better but isn't
    Robbie Lennon- has great potential to early to call
    Richie Reid- to early to tell but looks very good at this level
    Brian Kennedy-5- functional so far
    Michael Malone- functional
    Liam Blanchfield- So much potential
    Conor Martin- haven't seen enough but has potential
    Joe Lyng- functional so far
    Ger Aylward-8- if he can get back to where he was last year.

In fairness to Ger Loughnane he went on to say this and he's not wrong in most of it.
    JH: Kilkenny put a massive effort into their underage structures when they had a blip in the 1990s and now have the best system in the country. Is that why they have moved clear of the pack?

GL: If you look at the Kilkenny website the week of the All-Ireland they might have a small bit announcing their team, but the main thing will be updates about their development squads and their various meetings. It's just taking care of what's important for the future. And Ned Quinn (Kilkenny County Board Chairman) has been so influential in that. Ned Quinn was the man who recruited Brian Cody. He's a fellow who was so successful outside of hurling and brought that brain and intellect to bear on the game in Kilkenny.

The next generation is all that matters in Kilkenny, that's their whole mantra. They're all watching out for who's coming next. When they had Tommy Walsh they were looking for the next Tommy Walsh. And you see the culture that's within St. Kieran's that we've heard about so much this week. Is there any place in Cork that has that culture? There isn't. And why shouldn't there be with their hurling tradition?

At least in Tipperary you see Liam Cahill (Tipperary minor manager) not being fooled by what he saw last year even though they go to the All-Ireland minor final. He saw the same as all of us did looking out that these were not really Tipperary hurlers. They haven't the skill or movement that Tipperary hurlers have, so we'll have to get players who will concentrate totally on hurling. At least Tipp are making every effort to keep their status within the game. Cork totally took their eye off the ball and as a result they're now paying the penalty. And hurling is all the worse for it. There is nothing better than playing good Cork teams in Championship games, but now the Clares, the Limericks, and Waterfords don't even fear Cork. They have lost their place in the hurling world, and it's very disappointing.
    JH: The 1990s were a great decade for a game because there were so many genuine competitors. We thought the 2013 All-Ireland Championship might herald a return to that sort of era when Clare, Cork, Dublin, and Limerick reached the All-Ireland semi-finals, but the Kilkenny empire has struck back since then. And when you look at how well Kilkenny are set up in every way possible compared to their competitors, are we ever going to get another era like the 1990s or is it just going to be more of the same in the coming years?

GL: I would think that this year and next year will tell us a lot about that. If Kilkenny can win an All-Ireland this year and one next year, then people are really in trouble. Because the group they have coming, the minors they had two years ago and the group they have coming along behind that now, are going to be the next Tommy Walshes. What's coming resembles the sort of players they brought through with their 2003, 2004 and 2005 U-21 teams that produced all the stars. That's what they have coming. So if teams cannot stop them now, what's going to happen three or four years down the road? That's what you have to be looking at, down the road.
    How well prepared are the rest? Are they (Kilkenny) going to have the All-Ireland for themselves? That wouldn’t be good for the game. And it wouldn't be good for Kilkenny either.

I think that most counties have to have the Jeffrey Lynskey approach. They have to get that Jeffrey Lynskey approach that your whole aim at underage is to produce players of inter-county standard. Who will they have supervising this in order to ensure that they are going to be of inter-county standard?
    Rather than picking your favourites at U-15 and U-16, people who just go along with what you say. I think you have to have a body almost independent of hurling people in those counties, almost independent of the County Board, supervising this. Genuine people who know their stuff and who want to produce the kind of players that are going to be needed for the future. Unless those counties adopt a professional approach like that, like Limerick have in fairness to them, then I think they'll find it very difficult to compete with Kilkenny three or four years down the road.

JH: History will remember Brian Cody as the architect of this Kilkenny period of dominance. But does Ned Quinn deserve a large slice of the credit too when you talk about the importance of those sorts of structures?

GL: During the era when they were at their peak, that four-in-a-row team, I always said that Kilkenny was a three-legged stool. It was Cody, Quinn, and Shefflin. They were the big drivers of that. Now they're able to go without Shefflin!

Quinn has been vital to it. Ned Quinn's contribution to Kilkenny hurling, I think all Kilkenny people realise it, but outside of Kilkenny it's not realised that much. The effect he has had and the reassuring presence. He's always there, he's always watching out, he's always the man in the background saying very, very little. He has an iron will. Everything is for the good of Kilkenny hurling. That's his bottom line. Anything that's done has to be for the good of Kilkenny hurling. To have a man like that, at such a powerful level, invaluable doesn't even begin to describe how important that is. When you see in other counties how much better things could be if they had a Ned Quinn. And maybe if you had more Ned Quinns you'd produce more Brian Codys as well. Because they'd be looking out for who was the best to take it on. And they'd ensure that everything at ground level was being done almost to perfection. And then you give yourself a chance.

That's where other counties have to start. Not just looking at their structures, but looking at the people who are driving those structures and driving the thing. I think that's the secret that everybody should take from what Kilkenny are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Interesting team
    Kil.v Offaly
    E Murphy
    P Murphy R Lennon S Prendergast
    C o Shea K Joyce C Buckley
    M Fennelly L Ryan
    W Walsh C Fennelly K Kelly
    L Blanchfield JJ Farrell J Power Subs
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    J Holden
    P Walsh
    B Kennedy
    D Cody
    TJ Reid
    C Bolger
    J Maher
    C Martin
    M Malone

Interesting team
    Kil.v Offaly
    E Murphy
    P Murphy R Lennon S Prendergast
    C o Shea K Joyce C Buckley
    M Fennelly L Ryan
    W Walsh C Fennelly K Kelly
    L Blanchfield JJ Farrell J Power Subs
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    J Holden
    P Walsh
    B Kennedy
    D Cody
    TJ Reid
    C Bolger
    J Maher
    C Martin
    M Malone

Surprised but happy to see Michael Fennelly playing. I think Robert Lennon's best position is centre half but glad to see him starting. Opportunity for a number of players to lay down a marker. I presume Kevin Kelly will be the freetaker.

Surprised but happy to see Michael Fennelly playing. I think Robert Lennon's best position is centre half but glad to see him starting. Opportunity for a number of players to lay down a marker. I presume Kevin Kelly will be the freetaker.

No shortage of changes this week. I presume it'll be KK on free duty. As you say, a great opportunity for lads to push for a place.

It'll be good to see how the team does without TJ in the line up. Mick Fennelly must be progressing well if he's starting.

3 Clara men on the team. Good to see C O'Shea starting at wing back. Thought we'd have seen Bolger over the league campaign.

All in all, an interesting line up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The Cork league game is on youtube.

For anyone who hasn't seen the pull that injured Conor Fogarty…take a minute to watch it.

What in the name of God was the referee looking at?

I'm not at the match... Just checked the score. Jaysus this is some demolition job.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭blackwave

I'm not at the match... Just checked the score. Jaysus this is some demolition job.

Just listening on KCLR, it's men against boys stuff. Only worry Michael Fennelly went off after 25 mins or so and Paul Murphy has also gone off with what sounded like a shoulder injury.

Yeah. It's a trimming.

Rob Lennon has went off very early.
    Mick Fennelly has gone off after starting very well, which is worrying.
    Paul Murphy has gone off also.

Not sure what the extent of the injuries are though.

3-11 to 9pts 5mins into the 2nd half. Offaly started well in 2nd half but Colin Fennelly goaled again.

Pádraig Walsh...hamstring according to KCLR!!!!!
    Be interesting to see how they are in a few days.

• Advertisement

Pádraig Walsh...hamstring according to KCLR!!!!!
    Be interesting to see how they are in a few days.

Michael Fennelly, Colin Fennelly, Paul Murphy, Robert Lennon and Diarmuid Cody went off with injuries today. Presume Richie Hogan is also injured.

Michael Fennelly, Colin Fennelly, Paul Murphy, Robert Lennon and Diarmuid Cody went off with injuries today. Presume Richie Hogan is also injured.

Maybe BC rested him? I always thought he looked injured but others think he looked unfit and needed more game time - hard to know.

It seemed to be handy enough today. Lads got off to a good start and a good spread of scorers. Kevin Kelly on free taking duty.

Lester, according to KCLR, seemed to play very well and may be credited with a goal. Not sure how much BC will take from the game but fringe players got a run out and T.J. got a rest!!

Downside is the injuries obviously. Paul Murphy could be out for a while and sad to hear of Mick F having to go off also after 25mins.

I thought I heard Pádraig had a hamstring injury...can anybody confirm???

From where I was sitting it looked like fennelly was flying it I was surprised to hear people saying he picked up an injury it looked like coady gave him a 25 minute run out.lester was very good today he covered every inch but he does some silly things at time.

Maybe BC rested him? I always thought he looked injured but others think he looked unfit and needed more game time - hard to know.

It seemed to be handy enough today. Lads got off to a good start and a good spread of scorers. Kevin Kelly on free taking duty.

Lester, according to KCLR, seemed to play very well and may be credited with a goal. Not sure how much BC will take from the game but fringe players got a run out and T.J. got a rest!!

Downside is the injuries obviously. Paul Murphy could be out for a while and sad to hear of Mick F having to go off also after 25mins.

I thought I heard Pádraig had a hamstring injury...can anybody confirm???

Richie Hogan was named on the programme to start so I presume he picked up an injury between when the team was given to the programme publishers and when the team was officially named.p

IMO the final score does not do justice to the gulf between these two sides. Offaly were competitive tbf to them but Kilkenny were very professional in their approach, treating this game like any other, and while they did ease up a little in the second half they were still operating at a level or two above Offaly. This was typified by who else but Wally who, late in the second half, covered back to dispossess an Offaly forward (no. 9 I think) who had gotten a run on Jackie. Wally got the tackle(s) in and turned over possession to allow a clearance. Had Kilkenny played their full strength, the final margin would have broken all records.
    Given the margin, it's hard to properly assess players performance and how they would have stacked up against stiffer opposition. For what it's worth, my MOTM was a toss up between Lester and Colin. The latter was given plenty of wide open space and made hay with both his own goals and some assists. Lester was full of endeavour in the middle and also linked up well both in defence and attack. While he missed a couple of handy scores, I was impressed with John Power. He really looked up for the fight today.

On the injuries front Lennon went off after ca 5 minutes. He didn't look injured and hadn't gotten a belt so it can't have been too serious.
    Mick Fennelly went off after 25 minutes and again didn't look injured coming off but I happened to see him stretching his left hamstring just before he left so he may have felt something. While he was on he got some nice scores and even managed to floor one of the Offaly lads with a shoulder.
    Murphy got injured in a collision with an Offaly forward in the first half and looked to be holding his left shoulder later on the sideline.
    Diarmuid Cody went off after a second heavy challenge and didn't appear too happy with his old man when called ashore. Both times he had been down for a while.
    Colin pulled up running down the sideline with about 5 minutes to go. It looked like a hamstring pull but he didn't appear too hurt on his way to the dressing room.

brookville wrote: »
    From where I was sitting it looked like fennelly was flying it I was surprised to hear people saying he picked up an injury it looked like coady gave him a 25 minute run out.lester was very good today he covered every inch but he does some silly things at time.

Michael Fennelly was showing what he gives to the team, Colin Fennelly was going well too and today should boost his confidence. Of the injuries, Paul Murphy's looked the most serious, hope its not a collar bone

• Advertisement

Richie Hogan was named on the programme to start so I presume he picked up an injury between when the team was given to the programme publishers and when the team was officially named.p

Mmm. I don't think he was named on the team when it was announced the other night. I don't think he was on the bench either.

Michael Fennelly was showing what he gives to the team, Colin Fennelly was going well too and today should boost his confidence. Of the injuries, Paul Murphy's looked the most serious, hope its not a collar bone

Mick is a huge addition whether midfield or CHF. You always know what you'll get with him.

Any word on Rob Lennon? - he didn't last long. He's been unlucky in this league so far. Only positive thing is that it's 2 weeks to Clare match. Lads will hopefully get 2 good weeks of treatment.

Clare in Thurles will be a change. Will it be the 2nd game?

Interesting match up.clare should have players back and hopefully our injuries will have cleared up.looked like they played sweeper system against tipped today.also we will see whether they man mark to and Richie. As for today not much learned.john power started well kelly good on frees.blanchfield didn't see much balls but nice introduction.wally was wasteful. Lester mom for me followed by Colin and Joyce. Also felt Buckley looks like he is beginning to motor.think mick fennelly sub was pre planned.pity about Lenton injury.lookung forward to Thurles.

SUNDAY 17 APRIL
    Allianz HL Division 1 semi-finals
    1400 Waterford v Limerick, Semple Stadium
    1600 Kilkenny v Clare, Semple Stadium

SUNDAY 17 APRIL
    Allianz HL Division 1 semi-finals
    1400 Waterford v Limerick, Semple Stadium
    1600 Kilkenny v Clare, Semple Stadium

Thanks for that.

Thought our game would be the first game as Waterford are current league champions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement