Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The media are always going to pick up on something in order to generate a headline/story.

I sincerely hope that Brian does take on board what DJ says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think he's right to say it, there's nothing controversial in saying I want to talk to the Senior manager to get an idea of what kind of players he wants coming out of U21's. In fact there's been plenty on here calling for just such an approach. I don't think it should be a state secret that our managers are talking of coordinating. To be honest if Billy Nomates had been appointed instead and said the same thing to a journalist. I don't think it would even be published in the KP, let alone online and and in national papers but DJ is DJ and will always attract more attention when he opens his mouth. It'll be interesting to see who he appoints as his coaching team/selectors.

I see in the KP today that the county board have proposed a U19 club competition which will be open to 16, 17, 18 and 19 year olds (if the birthday fall right). The delegates at the last meeting were asked to go back to their clubs and discuss the proposal. All delegates present at the CB meeting endorsed the idea. The reason for it was to try and combat the huge 38% drop off from minor to U21 grade in the last few years. They will hope to ratify the proposal at the CB meeting in November.

It'll be interesting to see who he appoints as his coaching team/selectors.

Just on this, is it entirely up to DJ to select his coaching team/selectors, or will he be 'asked' by the CB to pick certain people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

I always thought that Kilkenny for the most part in their pomp their poor ball into their towards. Normally high aimless ones but Kilkenny could compete for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

thesultan wrote: »
    I always thought that Kilkenny for the most part in their pomp their poor ball into their towards. Normally high aimless ones but Kilkenny could compete for them.

I would describe it more as direct that aimless to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

I think he's right to say it, there's nothing controversial in saying I want to talk to the Senior manager to get an idea of what kind of players he wants coming out of U21's. In fact there's been plenty on here calling for just such an approach. I don't think it should be a state secret that our managers are talking of coordinating. To be honest if Billy Nomates had been appointed instead and said the same thing to a journalist. I don't think it would even be published in the KP, let alone online and and in national papers but DJ is DJ and will always attract more attention when he opens his mouth. It'll be interesting to see who he appoints as his coaching team/selectors.

I see in the KP today that the county board have proposed a U19 club competition which will be open to 16, 17, 18 and 19 year olds (if the birthday fall right). The delegates at the last meeting were asked to go back to their clubs and discuss the proposal. All delegates present at the CB meeting endorsed the idea. The reason for it was to try and combat the huge 38% drop off from minor to U21 grade in the last few years. They will hope to ratify the proposal at the CB meeting in November.

One of the smartest ideas I've heard from them in a long time. 4 years is too big a gap between 17 and 21 for players to go without some form of intermediary competition, and if succeeds in reducing the drop off in player numbers then all the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Problem with U19 is when is it played. Leaving Cert one side of the summer and college the other. It'll have to be run off in July and August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The draft League fixtures have been released:

Round 1: Sat Jan 27th, Cork v Kilkenny; Sunday, Jan 28th, Clare v Tipperary, Waterford v Wexford

Round 2: Sat Feb 3rd, Tipperary v Waterford; Sunday, Feb 4th, Kilkenny v Clare, Wexford v Cork

Round 3: Sat Feb 17th, Tipperary v Wexford; Sunday, Feb 18th, Clare v Cork, Waterford v Kilkenny

Round 4: Sun Feb 25th, Kilkenny v Tipperary, Cork v Waterford, Wexford v Clare

Round 5: Sun Mar 4th, Kilkenny v Wexford, Tipperary v Cork, Waterford v Clare

Brian017 wrote: »
    The draft League fixtures have been released:

Round 1: Sat Jan 27th, Cork v Kilkenny; Sunday, Jan 28th, Clare v Tipperary, Waterford v Wexford

Round 2: Sat Feb 3rd, Tipperary v Waterford; Sunday, Feb 4th, Kilkenny v Clare, Wexford v Cork

Round 3: Sat Feb 17th, Tipperary v Wexford; Sunday, Feb 18th, Clare v Cork, Waterford v Kilkenny

Round 4: Sun Feb 25th, Kilkenny v Tipperary, Cork v Waterford, Wexford v Clare

Round 5: Sun Mar 4th, Kilkenny v Wexford, Tipperary v Cork, Waterford v Clare

So it's starting about 2 weeks earlier than usual, with 5 rounds being played in 6 weeks.

The 2017 Walsh Cup started in the first week of January and the final was played on the first weekend of February. Anyone know what the plan is for 2018?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Good match in Piltown last night. Minor B Mooncoin V Dunamaggin. The Mags won by 2, and were well worth the victory, probably should have been more.
    Mooncoin drew level in the 2nd half after putting them under a lot of pressure but Dunamaggin just upped a gear and scored the last 2 points.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

greenspurs wrote:
    Good match in Piltown last night. Minor B Mooncoin V Dunamaggin. The Mags won by 2, and were well worth the victory, probably should have been more. Mooncoin drew level in the 2nd half after putting them under a lot of pressure but Dunamaggin just upped a gear and scored the last 2 points.

Heard this match replayed because Dunna fielded an Underage player and [snipped].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Heard this match replayed because Dunna fielded an Underage player and [snipped]

The underage player bit is true (13/14 year old on goal!! ) Great keeper tho!!

[snipped]

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Ya dunna did play an under 14 in goal alright. [snipped] Gowran play dunnamaggin now in final regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Just on this, is it entirely up to DJ to select his coaching team/selectors, or will he be 'asked' by the CB to pick certain people?

I heard richie power junior will be one of the selectors.

Looking forward to the matches on Sunday now, they should both be tight affairs.

Ballyhale Shamrocks v James Stephens 2pm
    I find this one very hard to call to be honest. There are two things that stand out for me but don't help me figure out who will win.
    First, James Stephens were being utterly demolished by a one legged, 35 year old for 30mins out in Callan the last day. They turned it around swiftly when Richie couldn't come back out in the second half. How will the same defence deal with TJ, Colin and Adrian Mullen? I saw them during the summer in Danesfort in the league game and Colin destroyed the Village defence for 5 mins in which time the Village conceded about 2-3.
    Second, the Ballyhale defence have been very porous all year conceding very easily. They conceded 4 goals to Clara and we all know Clara would not be the most free scoring forwards.
    I am going to very slightly lean towards Ballyhale. I just think they have more up front but the Village will push them all the way and I wouldn't be shocked to see them celebrating at 3.30 on Sunday.
    Verdict: Ballyhale

O'Loughlin Gaels v Dicksboro 3.45pm
    First off I'm going to declare my bias I'm a Boro man and I hope we beat the tar out of O'Loughlins. Anyway now for a bit of analysis.
    The Boro had their first victory (@ senior) over the Loughs in about a decade in the League final this year. I think this should give them the confidence to go into this match with no fear and a knowledge that they can beat them again. As a Loughs man said to me, they won last year by being fitter than every other team and I think that was true then and their definitely one of the fittest teams left in it at this stage. I think the one team that might be fitter than them is the Boro who have done an enormous about of conditioning work and have finished every game strong this year. Anyone who saw O'Loughlins last year especially against Cuala will know their fatal weakness. A almost complete lack of pace in 4 of the back 6. Cuala ran through them and destroyed them so did TJ for his goal in the county final last year Ballyhales problem is they didn't do it enough in that game. If you play the game on O'Loughlins terms they turn it into a dog fight and there's no better team at winning a dog fight than the Loughs. If the Boro are smart they'll spread the Loughs out at the back and run through them for goals and points but all easier said than done. If they allow the O'Loughlins defence to play close together and lump high 50/50 ball into the forwards the O'Loughlins defence will eat them alive. Thats only one side of the field though the Boro defence has been consistently strong for the last 5 years and gets stronger and more miserly most years it's the forwards that let them down up to this year. The O'Loughlins forwards though lead by Gorta, Bergin and Kelly will take a lot of watching and will be very hard to keep quite. For me the winning and losing of the game will come down to how the Boro forwards deal with the O'Loughlins back 6. I don't expect there to be much in it either way and my heart and head say the Boro can do it if they play smart enough don't back down but don't get drawn into O'Loughlins BS when they start to get overly physical.
    Verdict: Dicksboro (surprise, surprise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

You are ageing Richie a bit prematurely he`s still only 31 but its a valid point u make.

Wouldn`t be surprised with another draw or 2 Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

robwen wrote: »
    You are ageing Richie a bit prematurely he`s still only 31

He's got the knees of a 51 yr old!

robwen wrote: »
    You are ageing Richie a bit prematurely he`s still only 31 but its a valid point u make.

Wouldn`t be surprised with another draw or 2 Sunday
    Very true but he's nearly 32 but he's definitely not 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭kk2012

There has been some turnaround in B. Shamrocks team since Club All-Ireland in 2015, only 7 of starting 15 really 1st choice any more...

1 - R Reid - now outfield
    2 - K Nolan - Retired
    3 - J Holden
    4 - A Cuddihy - Emigrated
    5 - P Shefflin - Not a starter now
    6 - M Fennelly
    7 - A Cummins - Retired
    8 - C Walsh
    9 - B Aylward - Not a starter now
    10 - J. 'Cha' Fitzpatrick - Retired
    11 - H Shefflin - Not a starter now
    12 - TJ Reid
    13 - P Reid - Retired
    14 - C Fennelly
    15 - E Reid

kk2012 wrote: »
    There has been some turnaround in B. Shamrocks team since Club All-Ireland in 2015, only 7 of starting 15 really 1st choice any more...

1 - R Reid - now outfield
    2 - K Nolan - Retired
    3 - J Holden
    4 - A Cuddihy - Emigrated
    5 - P Shefflin - Not a starter now
    6 - M Fennelly
    7 - A Cummins - Retired
    8 - C Walsh
    9 - B Aylward - Not a starter now
    10 - J. 'Cha' Fitzpatrick - Retired
    11 - H Shefflin - Not a starter now
    12 - TJ Reid
    13 - P Reid - Retired
    14 - C Fennelly
    15 - E Reid

It's a big turn around in 2 years but darren and adrian mullen have being big additions,richie reid has being excellent this year and I've being impressed with joey cuddihy,lads like mick fennelly and eoin reid aren't as affective but can still do a job at club level.
    With the county back next month who has impressed so far?most of the club matches have being high scoring which suggests we have fowards or poor defences?will cody cull players who have being there a few years or lads he no longer trusts,I suspect a few lads won't be returning.
    We know we need a corner back,full back,midfielder and 2-3 fowards on top of richie hogan,wally and fennelly showing consistency,
    Paul murphy and colin won't be available for the league,padraigs best position is 5,richie reid and darren mullen both impressed last saturday,conor delaney looks good but probably not ready yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Think the Shamrocks will win the first match by a few points. Full Back line is a weakness for the Village alright, though I think they'd have beaten Carrickshock even if Richie Power hadn't been injured. The Village were the dominant force for about 45 of the 60 minutes, just seemed to go completely asleep before half time for a while. How Cody goes at full back will definitely be pivotal; if that line manages to hold their own there's no reason the Village can't win. They definitely won't fear Ballyhale.

I'm thinking 'same old story' in the second match, with O'Loughlins probably toughing it out. You'd wonder whether the fancy and more skillful types like Bill Sheehan might just find themselves overwhelmed a bit by a full back line well versed in the dark arts of the game. As other posters have said, if the Boro can keep it an open game then they'd have every chance.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Think the Shamrocks will win the first match by a few points. Full Back line is a weakness for the Village alright, though I think they'd have beaten Carrickshock even if Richie Power hadn't been injured. The Village were the dominant force for about 45 of the 60 minutes, just seemed to go completely asleep before half time for a while. How Cody goes at full back will definitely be pivotal; if that line manages to hold their own there's no reason the Village can't win. They definitely won't fear Ballyhale.

I'm thinking 'same old story' in the second match, with O'Loughlins probably toughing it out. You'd wonder whether the fancy and more skillful types like Bill Sheehan might just find themselves overwhelmed a bit by a full back line well versed in the dark arts of the game. As other posters have said, if the Boro can keep it an open game then they'd have every chance.

Cody to be fair has being steady in the 2 games against the shocks but I think if richie had to stay on the shocks would of won,email had the beaten of tom keough and won a few frees,the shocks were a differant team without him,scanlon done well in his defence maybe he mIght make it as a half back?
    Ballyhale will try isolate colin on cody and have mullen and cuddihy playing off him,that's a really strong ff line on paper anyway.
    Walton is an excellent free taker but they'll need huge games from their 3 ex county men to cause an upset.
    I'd give the boro a chance against o loughlins hopefully they'll be good matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

brookville wrote: »
    Cody to be fair has being steady in the 2 games against the shocks but I think if richie had to stay on the shocks would of won,email had the beaten of tom keough and won a few frees,the shocks were a differant team without him,scanlon done well in his defence maybe he mIght make it as a half back?
    Ballyhale will try isolate colin on cody and have mullen and cuddihy playing off him,that's a really strong ff line on paper anyway.
    Walton is an excellent free taker but they'll need huge games from their 3 ex county men to cause an upset.
    I'd give the boro a chance against o loughlins hopefully they'll be good matches.

Who's email?

Freshford to edge out Dunnamaggin today and Callan to hammer O'Loughlins I think (Callan looked like an intermediate team the other day whilst O'Loughlins only beat a very poor Piltown outfit). Tomorrow, think the Village will beat Ballyhale by the puck of a ball, Ballyhale leave themselves too open too often and should have had Clara bet the first day but for that with O'Loughlins to edge out Dicksboro because of experience.

FCIM wrote: »
    Who's email?

Freshford to edge out Dunnamaggin today and Callan to hammer O'Loughlins I think (Callan looked like an intermediate team the other day whilst O'Loughlins only beat a very poor Piltown outfit). Tomorrow, think the Village will beat Ballyhale by the puck of a ball, Ballyhale leave themselves too open too often and should have had Clara bet the first day but for that with O'Loughlins to edge out Dicksboro because of experience.

Sorry meant richie had the beating of tom keough.
    Callan should win today,they have a mcgraths,mcdowell,corcoran and bergin all wearing the underage county jerseys they should have enough.
    I agree that for such a strong spine the shamrocks leave themselves open at times but if they reduce the free count the village might find it hard to get scores,richie reid gives joey great protection it's something the county could take a leaf out of.

brookville wrote: »
    Sorry meant richie had the beating of tom keough.
    Callan should win today,they have a mcgraths,mcdowell,corcoran and bergin all wearing the underage county jerseys they should have enough.
    I agree that for such a strong spine the shamrocks leave themselves open at times but if they reduce the free count the village might find it hard to get scores,richie reid gives joey great protection it's something the county could take a leaf out of.

Lol I thought email was someone's nickname that I hadn't heard.

Horrendous stuff in first half. Showed a few signs of livening up in last ten minutes before half time but only a few. It is a relegation final so the quality is always likely to be questionable but both seem to nervous for it to even be lively.

Freshford 1-04 Dunnamaggin 0-07 HT.

Freshford 2-10 Dunnamaggin 1-11

I'd relegate both of them after that rubbish. Worst match I think I ever saw. Seriously though, I think nerves took over though the quality was never going to be top level and Freshford showed that little bit more ability to handle pressure on the day.

Callan 1-09 O'Loughlins 0-11 HT

Great first half.

Callan by a point. One of the best matches of the season actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

FCIM wrote: »
    Callan by a point. One of the best matches of the season actually.

Was that the final result?

• Advertisement

Was that the final result?

Yes but I forget precisely what score.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Lockes 1.17-0.19 OLG
    Ding dong battle and as already stated a great game

Lockes 1.17-0.19 OLG
    Ding dong battle and as already stated a great game

James power hurled well did he?son of the john and a sub on the intermediate team,who else hurled well?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Yeah both free takers Power and Doyle to the fore. McCormack at ff and Bergin also played well for the Lockes. Geoghan for OLG had a powerful game

Whilst Callan will justifiably enjoy this win they do have a lot of work to do before next season. They were quite ill disciplined at times leading to a lot of frees against them and an intermediate team will make hay with that. Mooncoin were probably better prepared for the jump at this stage last season and have struggled.

Desperately poor first half. Shamrocks 1-08 Village 0-05

Village up by nine points and Shamrocks down to fourteen men; looking like a city derby final.

Massive second half performance by the Village. Luke Scanlon looks a good prospect. First city derby county final since 1950.

Village 3-16 Shamrocks 1-12 FT

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Half time boro 1-9 OLG 0-8

• Advertisement

Dour first half. O'Loughlins shooting is very sloppy whilst Dicksboro's is very sharp.

Dicksboro 1 -09 O'Loughlins 0-08 HT

Hard to believe the shamrocks only scored 4 points in the 2nd half,no1 could find predicted it at half time altough the village could of being closer at half time
    Tadgh dywer was lively and larkin and jackie were both good,tom keough very tigerish but scanlon and browne but stood up in the 2nd half
    Richie reid while striking a lot of ball wasnt as influential as the last 2 games

I was wondering last week why duggan wasn't on the goal for the boro,I know today,3 brilliant saves from holohan

It is worrying for Kilkenny when the senior semis are that awful.

Dicksboro 1-14 O'Loughlins 0-14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Thanks for all the updates lads. Worrying to hear the standard is lot, but as a boro man that is just an absolutely eye watering exciting county final match up. Will be a huge occasion for both clubs.

Thanks for all the updates lads. Worrying to hear the standard is lot, but as a boro man that is just an absolutely eye watering exciting county final match up. Will be a huge occasion for both clubs.

While today wasn't great we've had some excellent matches up to that,great for the boro and the village,impressed with evan cody today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

What date is the senior final fixed for - next weekend?

Deskjockey wrote: »

Sunday week the bank holiday weekend

Deskjockey wrote: »

29th October.
    The winners play the Dublin champions on 5th November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Don't agree that the matches were as bad as some people are making out.

Second one was, understandably, a tense enough affair. O'Loughlins were poor, but if it wasn't for an absolute wonder save they might just have got over the line. You'd think Brian Hogan might call time on things now, he was woeful. Mark Kelly was worse. Dicksboro had fine performers in Evan Cody, Conor Doheny and Shane Stapleton who landed some crucial frees and stood up to be counted when required.

Ballyhale weren't great. They had plenty of warning signs in the first half with The Village slicing them open a number of times and getting nothing from it. Totally changed in the second half, Davy Walton gave a tremendous pass to Eoin Larkin for a well taken goal and The Village had a real purple patch for the next 10-15 minutes. Tadhgh Dwyer took his two goals excellently and during this period Luke Scanlon started to dominate around the middle.

Couldn't call the final to be honest, it'll be whoever performs best on the day. Very little between the teams.

Mark bergin was lively today but agree with the kelly comment he made a mess of a tap in after bergin done well,I thought holohan made a few brillant saves and if one of these went in who knows what could of happened
    While alot of lads giving out bout the ballyhale full back line today the fowards will have to take some of the blame,4 points in the 2nd half is a terrible return

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement