Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Don't agree that the matches were as bad as some people are making out.

Second one was, understandably, a tense enough affair. O'Loughlins were poor, but if it wasn't for an absolute wonder save they might just have got over the line. You'd think Brian Hogan might call time on things now, he was woeful. Mark Kelly was worse. Dicksboro had fine performers in Evan Cody, Conor Doheny and Shane Stapleton who landed some crucial frees and stood up to be counted when required.

Ballyhale weren't great. They had plenty of warning signs in the first half with The Village slicing them open a number of times and getting nothing from it. Totally changed in the second half, Davy Walton gave a tremendous pass to Eoin Larkin for a well taken goal and The Village had a real purple patch for the next 10-15 minutes. Tadhgh Dwyer took his two goals excellently and during this period Luke Scanlon started to dominate around the middle.

Couldn't call the final to be honest, it'll be whoever performs best on the day. Very little between the teams.
    Good st pats of palmerstown.man helping out the boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Luke Scanlon excellent second half performance when moved to midfield. Thought Jackie did an excellent man marking job on TJ Reid throughout the game. Complete nullified him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Luke Scanlon excellent second half performance when moved to midfield. Thought Jackie did an excellent man marking job on TJ Reid throughout the game. Complete nullified him.
    You obviously missed that little pirouette in the first half. Probably score of the year. Jackie got a reminder of what it's like to mark a top inter county hurler today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Great win yesterday, Shamrocks completely folded in the 2nd half. things dont look good in there camp, they didn't seem to work hard enough and wanted give out to each other when things were going wrong. People talking of Richie Reid at Inter County level, he was way off the pace yesterday, not fast, imposing or aggressive enough, great strike of the ball though, Joey Holden way off too. TJ looks to have lost a bit of pace, struggled to get away from Jackie and he is 31 next year. Colin is off on his travels soon, he will need plenty of hurling when he is back.

Happy to be in final after fears of relegation only a few weeks back, Big under dogs for the final as Boro are undefeated all year and Shamrocks terrible display yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    Great win yesterday, Shamrocks completely folded in the 2nd half. things dont look good in there camp, they didn't seem to work hard enough and wanted give out to each other when things were going wrong. People talking of Richie Reid at Inter County level, he was way off the pace yesterday, not fast, imposing or aggressive enough, great strike of the ball though, Joey Holden way off too. TJ looks to have lost a bit of pace, struggled to get away from Jackie and he is 31 next year. Colin is off on his travels soon, he will need plenty of hurling when he is back.

Happy to be in final after fears of relegation only a few weeks back, Big under dogs for the final as Boro are undefeated all year and Shamrocks terrible display yesterday.

The Ballyhale management have alot to answer for here in my opinion. The village came out all guns blazing second half and Ballyhale made no attempt to counter act and just assumed as usual the fire power up front would dig them out again.

Think your a bit harsh on Richie Reid. He got on a good bit of ball and always looked to find a spare man. Probably not physically dominant enough for inter county at centre back but definitely see him doing a job at wing back or if we ever play a team that uses a sweeper he be ideal man to operate as the kk spare man. I
    Was really dissapointed with Adrian Mullen and to be honest bar a few nice scores in one or two games he defintekynno where near ready for senior county. He has serious skill and potential but I have a serious disliking for his work rate and demeanour on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Noddy33 wrote: »
    The Ballyhale management have alot to answer for here in my opinion. The village came out all guns blazing second half and Ballyhale made no attempt to counter act and just assumed as usual the fire power up front would dig them out again.

Think your a bit harsh on Richie Reid. He got on a good bit of ball and always looked to find a spare man. Probably not physically dominant enough for inter county at centre back but definitely see him doing a job at wing back or if we ever play a team that uses a sweeper he be ideal man to operate as the kk spare man. I
    Was really dissapointed with Adrian Mullen and to be honest bar a few nice scores in one or two games he defintekynno where near ready for senior county. He has serious skill and potential but I have a serious disliking for his work rate and demeanour on the pitch

I agree things didn't seem all that right in the ballyhale camp and a change probably needed.
    I wouldn't be too critical of adrian mullen he has a lot to learn but still only 17 it'll take time.He does seem a bit greedy
    Luke scanlon has being very good in the last 2 games,it's good that he got the u21 match out of his system.he could make it on the half back line if he bulks up.
    I thought richie reid struck a good bit of ball but just wasn't as effective as the last 2 days.I still think he could be as good as conor o shea or joe lyng both who played league this year.Darragh holohan was excellent for the boro yesterday

http://www.the42.ie/dj-carey-kilkenny-u21-manager-3648801-Oct2017/
    Very honest from dj,I hope it goes well for him,his son mikey looks a good prospect,I heard richie power and nigel skehan will be part of his backroom team

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Don't agree that the matches were as bad as some people are making out.

Second one was, understandably, a tense enough affair. O'Loughlins were poor, but if it wasn't for an absolute wonder save they might just have got over the line. You'd think Brian Hogan might call time on things now, he was woeful. Mark Kelly was worse. Dicksboro had fine performers in Evan Cody, Conor Doheny and Shane Stapleton who landed some crucial frees and stood up to be counted when required.

Ballyhale weren't great. They had plenty of warning signs in the first half with The Village slicing them open a number of times and getting nothing from it. Totally changed in the second half, Davy Walton gave a tremendous pass to Eoin Larkin for a well taken goal and The Village had a real purple patch for the next 10-15 minutes. Tadhgh Dwyer took his two goals excellently and during this period Luke Scanlon started to dominate around the middle.

Couldn't call the final to be honest, it'll be whoever performs best on the day. Very little between the teams.

Just a question for boroman where have lads like enda malone,oisin walsh and shane maher gone?none of the 3 on the panel yesterday,I think malone played junior,surely his good enough to tog out for senior

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Who would the village put forward as captain if they win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »
    Just a question for boroman where have lads like enda malone,oisin walsh and shane maher gone?none of the 3 on the panel yesterday,I think malone played junior,surely his good enough to tog out for senior

They were all around at the start of the year and hurling wise they all have it. I'm fairly sure they all had some form of injury last year or earlier this year. I don't think any of them got to the new higher required level of fitness the new management were looking for.

I'm fairly sure some lads lost their place on the team at different times from not turning up to training or matches without giving management the proper and agreed upon notice. Very impressed with the management team and the difference they have made with the players both physically and mentally.

• Advertisement

They were all around at the start of the year and hurling wise they all have it. I'm fairly sure they all had some form of injury last year or earlier this year. I don't think any of them got to the new higher required level of fitness the new management were looking for.

I'm fairly sure some lads lost their place on the team at different times from not turning up to training or matches without giving management the proper and agreed upon notice. Very impressed with the management team and the difference they have made with the players both physically and mentally.

Who's involved?mark dowling is manager I think,who else is there?who would the boro lads like to see called to the county set up?cody is improving,is robbie fitzpatrick good enough?he was good the last day but not as good yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Who's involved?mark dowling is manager I think,who else is there?who would the boro lads like to see called to the county set up?cody is improving,is robbie fitzpatrick good enough?he was good the last day but not as good yesterday.
    Is Evan Cody worth a try ?. I would like to see him and Conor Delaney tried at full back. If Luke Scanlon bulked up, he might fill a midfield slot but probably 2019 rather than next year

The management team is Mark Dowling as manager, David Carroll and Thos Farrell selectors and Liam Egan is the trainer.

There's probably a few I would say are worth a try given their consistency and level of performance all year. The problem would be that most are very un-Cody-like players. The two that fit the mould are Buckley and Cody and I definitely think Evan should get game time next year as he has got better and stronger for the Boro all year after two poor to average years. Tbh I wonder did he struggle to adjust when first called in to train with the county set up a few years ago? I think he's grown into it now and is blossoming this year for the club.
    Ollie Walsh is already there as we saw last year but I don't think he's the type of player Cody traditionally picks. It's not that he's afraid of the physical stuff (as anyone who saw him last Sunday can tell) but he reads the game and he doesn't just barrel into everything and I think that counts against him. For me he has much better distribution of the ball than P Deegan but Paddy played Championship most of the summer and Ollie didn't get a look in.

After that the new lads at the top of the list I would expect a few of the following to get a call.
    Conor Doheny, he was in with the seniors for some training last year early, he's a very good player is better on the wing but is covering the corner as we have two good lads on the wings and are struggling for a corner back. personally I prefer him wing back but needs must at club level.
    Aidan Nolan & Tom Kenny, both are hurling very well and would be worth a trial, both are raw and young but they're strong lads who deliver nice ball forward and are fast if they get turned.
    Robbie Fitzpatrick, is definitely a Cody type player and is very tigerish but his size may count against. Tbh I'm surprised he hasn't been called in before now. He could do a good job at number 4 but is playing well in midfield doubt Cody would use him there though.

Up front there's not a whole lot that I can see Cody picking.
    Murt Gaffney, has never been called in as far as I know and don't see it happening now but he's playing his best stuff this year I think the management have got him believing in himself. Murt was very strong at minor but faded away since then and never seemed to believe in himself.
    Andy Gaffney has all the talent but I'd be worried that he couldn't make the U21 team this year but he has another year I think but could be wrong there. If Andy applied himself totally he would be a Cody type player- big, strong, physical and loads of skill and vision.
    Bill Sheehan, is a real bright spark and has been a consistent pain in defences back side with his pace and shooting. Probably too small for Cody but I'd like to see him get a trial I think he would bring something different to our attack.
    Kevin Kenny, has the skill and is a player Cody likes but he's had a tough few years and is only starting to get back to what he can be.
    Eoin Gough, a big strong lad, tall with a nice touch he works until theres nothing left. He's only back after a year and half on the sideline he used to be a CB before the injury. I think he's a Cody type player but there are lads ahead of him in the pecking order I would say might be worth a look at in defence.
    Oisin Gough, a real nice hurler didn't really work out for him in the semi would be a Cody type but still very young would probably be too young to call him in.

Lot of promising players mentioned above, but one requirement they are lacking is sheer physicality, strength and and aggression. It is also lacking in our senior players last year Limerick bullied us in u21 last year, Kilkenny were playing this short passing and little flicks while Limerick just overpowered us with running and winning hard ball.

Same can be said for the seniors v Wexford & Waterford, we lost in the physical department, aside from that the lack of skill level from some players like Colin, Wally, Paul Murphy, Conor Fogarty, Liam Blanchfield basic skill leve added to our downfall, also Michael Fennelly will not be back next year going on his performances for Ballyhale, 33 in a few months and mobility is not there, TJ run of bad form continues.

Sorry about the rant, but after watching plenty of club matches over the last few weeks i cant see to many players to change our fortunes next year.

Lot of promising players mentioned above, but one requirement they are lacking is sheer physicality, strength and and aggression. It is also lacking in our senior players last year Limerick bullied us in u21 last year, Kilkenny were playing this short passing and little flicks while Limerick just overpowered us with running and winning hard ball.

I would disagree with you about the Boro lads anyway. They have done serious training this year and while they may not be ready for intercounty level physicality they definitely have not been bullied by anyone in the club scene. We've played the two most physical teams in Kilkenny- Clara and O'Loughlins and come out on top in all three encounters. The thing the Boro lads have is their able for the physical if a team wants to go down that route but the lads are using a game plan thats about speed and good delivery which negates a lot of the physicality. Most of the players mentioned above by me would need lots of S&C to get up to the required fitness levels at intercounty no doubt but they won't be lacking in strength if someone wants to go toe to toe with them, weather they'd last would be the problem at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

From another perspective instead of having the same prototype of players to fit a certain regime would it be wise to adapt the regime to the players available. There's some talented individuals at club level yet they dont get a look in at county level regardless of form or performance and use the league as an opportunity to field new blood and build for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Same can be said for the seniors v Wexford & Waterford, we lost in the physical department, aside from that the lack of skill level from some players like Colin, Wally, Paul Murphy, Conor Fogarty, Liam Blanchfield basic skill leve added to our downfall, also Michael Fennelly will not be back next year going on his performances for Ballyhale, 33 in a few months and mobility is not there, TJ run of bad form continues.

Sorry about the rant, but after watching plenty of club matches over the last few weeks i cant see to many players to change our fortunes next year.

The under 21s were certainly way off Limerick physically this year, I think the influence of the Limerick collages and the facilities and expertise which overflows from the rugby academy down there has had an impact on the teams doing well at under 21 in the last few years. Its fair to say some of the Kilkenny under 21s look no bigger or quicker than they did 3 years ago. I still think there is a good few talented players on that team that have the potential to make it at senior level.

At the moment it is hard to see Kilkenny winning anything next year but on the basis that they shouldnt be as flat physically this year I would expect at least some improvement in performances.

The management team is Mark Dowling as manager, David Carroll and Thos Farrell selectors and Liam Egan is the trainer.

There's probably a few I would say are worth a try given their consistency and level of performance all year. The problem would be that most are very un-Cody-like players. The two that fit the mould are Buckley and Cody and I definitely think Evan should get game time next year as he has got better and stronger for the Boro all year after two poor to average years. Tbh I wonder did he struggle to adjust when first called in to train with the county set up a few years ago? I think he's grown into it now and is blossoming this year for the club.
    Ollie Walsh is already there as we saw last year but I don't think he's the type of player Cody traditionally picks. It's not that he's afraid of the physical stuff (as anyone who saw him last Sunday can tell) but he reads the game and he doesn't just barrel into everything and I think that counts against him. For me he has much better distribution of the ball than P Deegan but Paddy played Championship most of the summer and Ollie didn't get a look in.

After that the new lads at the top of the list I would expect a few of the following to get a call.
    Conor Doheny, he was in with the seniors for some training last year early, he's a very good player is better on the wing but is covering the corner as we have two good lads on the wings and are struggling for a corner back. personally I prefer him wing back but needs must at club level.
    Aidan Nolan & Tom Kenny, both are hurling very well and would be worth a trial, both are raw and young but they're strong lads who deliver nice ball forward and are fast if they get turned.
    Robbie Fitzpatrick, is definitely a Cody type player and is very tigerish but his size may count against. Tbh I'm surprised he hasn't been called in before now. He could do a good job at number 4 but is playing well in midfield doubt Cody would use him there though.

Murt Gaffney, has never been called in as far as I know and don't see it happening now but he's playing his best stuff this year I think the management have got him believing in himself. Murt was very strong at minor but faded away since then and never seemed to believe in himself.
    Andy Gaffney has all the talent but I'd be worried that he couldn't make the U21 team this year but he has another year I think but could be wrong there. If Andy applied himself totally he would be a Cody type player- big, strong, physical and loads of skill and vision.
    Bill Sheehan, is a real bright spark and has been a consistent pain in defences back side with his pace and shooting. Probably too small for Cody but I'd like to see him get a trial I think he would bring something different to our attack.
    Kevin Kenny, has the skill and is a player Cody likes but he's had a tough few years and is only starting to get back to what he can be.
    Eoin Gough, a big strong lad, tall with a nice touch he works until theres nothing left. He's only back after a year and half on the sideline he used to be a CB before the injury. I think he's a Cody type player but there are lads ahead of him in the pecking order I would say might be worth a look at in defence.
    Oisin Gough, a real nice hurler didn't really work out for him in the semi would be a Cody type but still very young would probably be too young to call him in.
    So only 13 from tbe Boro?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

blackcard wrote: »
    Is Evan Cody worth a try ?. I would like to see him and Conor Delaney tried at full back. If Luke Scanlon bulked up, he might fill a midfield slot but probably 2019 rather than next year

Evan Cody a son of Brian? Related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You don't need to say it 13 times :D :pac:

Boro and the village had the best young Hurlers on display, Ballyhale invested in the youth this year and they are not up to the races yet, poor attitude from some of the younger Ballyhale contingent, Darren Mullen struggled on Luke Scanlon, Adrian Mullen seems to lack something, seems to lack pace and ability to win hard ball, Kevin Mullen got roasted corner back, Conor Phelan, Gavin Butler & Ronan Corcoran all struggled

MfMan wrote: »
    No relation AFAIK

For blackcard
    No I don't think there should or will be 13 Boro lads on the panel I was listing out those I thought could possibly have a case. I would hope they might have 4 or 5 as there are lads who have the talent. As I pointed out most have an issue that I think will prevent the current management from trying or using them. Their either not Codys type of player or not the right physique that Cody has been picking the last 10 years. If his thoughts on the game change then there will be plenty of new lads in to try out for the panel this year but I don't see that happening.

What I would hope the Boro would have on the senior panel next year,
    3 already there Buckley, Ollie and Cody
    2 extra maybe drafted in- probably C Doheny and one of Aidan Nolan, Robbie Fitzpatrick.
    Very outside chance for Bill Sheehan, Tom Kenny (both probably too young) and Andy Gaffney depending on U21 performances.

I think others are good enough to be given a trial but for some like M Fagan that boat has sailed he had his chance but most others probably won't get called thats just the way it works.

Most of the lads I've named out have all been part of Kilkenny panels at different levels over the years so a step up to senior is not beyond the bounds of possibility for any of them but will 13 lads from the Boro get called into a trail, not in a month of Sundays. Neither should they all there's plenty of talent in the county that deserve a chance ahead of them.

No relation AFAIK

For blackcard
    No I don't think there should or will be 13 Boro lads on the panel I was listing out those I thought could possibly have a case. I would hope they might have 4 or 5 as there are lads who have the talent. As I pointed out most have an issue that I think will prevent the current management from trying or using them. Their either not Codys type of player or not the right physique that Cody has been picking the last 10 years. If his thoughts on the game change then there will be plenty of new lads in to try out for the panel this year but I don't see that happening.

What I would hope the Boro would have on the senior panel next year,
    3 already there Buckley, Ollie and Cody
    2 extra maybe drafted in- probably C Doheny and one of Aidan Nolan, Robbie Fitzpatrick.
    Very outside chance for Bill Sheehan, Tom Kenny (both probably too young) and Andy Gaffney depending on U21 performances.

I think others are good enough to be given a trial but for some like M Fagan that boat has sailed he had his chance but most others probably won't get called thats just the way it works.

Most of the lads I've named out have all been part of Kilkenny panels at different levels over the years so a step up to senior is not beyond the bounds of possibility for any of them but will 13 lads from the Boro get called into a trail, not in a month of Sundays. Neither should they all there's plenty of talent in the county that deserve a chance ahead of them.

I think robbie fitz has benefited from his move out of the backs,I thought he was full of movement against the vat the 2nd day,I remember him doing a good job on henry in the last final the boro were in.would I be correct in saying he has struggled with injury the last few years?
    I like doheny but I thought gortha caued him few problems last sunday but his still young and I hope he can make it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Kkcitylover12

MfMan wrote: »

Pretty sure that he is no relation to Brian, very strong and solid full back. Deserves more chances this year as he only got little game time last year after his game against Clare.

I think robbie fitz has benefited from his move out of the backs,I thought he was full of movement against the vat the 2nd day,I remember him doing a good job on henry in the last final the boro were in.would I be correct in saying he has struggled with injury the last few years?
    I like doheny but I thought gortha caued him few problems last sunday but his still young and I hope he can make it

Yeah Robbie has played LC and LW back, up along. He is a solid back and I like him going forward he has definitely given the Boro extra solidity in midfield. I can't remember any serious injuries he's had but i could be completely wrong on that.

Conor Doheny would actually be very similar to Robbie Fitz but he's normally played at 5. He's playing in the corner the last few games but I prefer him at 5 he influences the game more. I think he's struggling a bit not in the corner against, an on-fire John Walsh and Gorta purely on size. I think he'll improve he has the skill and has great vision and picks out lovely passes when on the half back line. While he struggled a bit his man didn't get massive scores either day when he was on them. He was targeted both days against Dublin and Westmeath for the U21's and I think he played really well against both of them. He went off injured in both games after getting nasty slaps because he was so determined to win the ball. I think he was sorely missed later in the campaign although he couldn't have prevented the final result, his presence may have helped a bit.

Pretty sure that he is no relation to Brian, very strong and solid full back. Deserves more chances this year as he only got little game time last year after his game against Clare.

Totally agree he deserves more game time. I'm almost 100% sure that he got no more game time after his 35mins on Aaron Cunningham down in Clare.

Totally agree he deserves more game time. I'm almost 100% sure that he got no more game time after his 35mins on Aaron Cunningham down in Clare.

On a day when the whole team was blown away,that day will stand to him and he'll be stronger next year hopefully.I think it's important padraig moves out I'd see delaney and cody as both lads to be tried next spring in the full back line

You are correct, 35 minutes.
    He was an unused sub for 3 other games

• Advertisement

Yeah Robbie has played LC and LW back, up along. He is a solid back and I like him going forward he has definitely given the Boro extra solidity in midfield. I can't remember any serious injuries he's had but i could be completely wrong on that.

Conor Doheny would actually be very similar to Robbie Fitz but he's normally played at 5. He's playing in the corner the last few games but I prefer him at 5 he influences the game more. I think he's struggling a bit not in the corner against, an on-fire John Walsh and Gorta purely on size. I think he'll improve he has the skill and has great vision and picks out lovely passes when on the half back line. While he struggled a bit his man didn't get massive scores either day when he was on them. He was targeted both days against Dublin and Westmeath for the U21's and I think he played really well against both of them. He went off injured in both games after getting nasty slaps because he was so determined to win the ball. I think he was sorely missed later in the campaign although he couldn't have prevented the final result, his presence may have helped a bit.

Robbie Fitz has had serious hamstring problems that plagued all of his underage county career. The same injury started off at minor and caused havoc for about 3-4 yrs meaning he got very little chance to make impact at county minor and U21. He a very neat and tidy player that can operate in numerous positions.

What impresses me most about the Boro is their strength and conditioning . Liam Egan is the fitness man here for Boro and has had alot of success with teams including Clara senior county title teams and should take well deserved credit. As neural I will have a preference for a Boro win as would love to see Buckley getting kk captaincy and think their consistency throughout the full year deserves reward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Interesting point. Afaik Egan has no formal qualification in S & C. I heard he runs a creche in Callan.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Robbie Fitz has had serious hamstring problems that plagued all of his underage county career. The same injury started off at minor and caused havoc for about 3-4 yrs meaning he got very little chance to make impact at county minor and U21. He a very neat and tidy player that can operate in numerous positions.

What impresses me most about the Boro is their strength and conditioning . Liam Egan is the fitness man here for Boro and has had alot of success with teams including Clara senior county title teams and should take well deserved credit. As neural I will have a preference for a Boro win as would love to see Buckley getting kk captaincy and think their consistency throughout the full year deserves reward

In 2014 Niall Lacey put a fine gym in the Boro and with Willie Cuddihy put the senior panel on a strength and conditioning programme. Liam Egan has continued that fine work and the Boro boys have all the appearances of 4 years conditioning. Buckley remaining fit , unlike 2015 and 2016,along with the return of Eoin Gough, the acquisition of Shane Stapleton and the emergence of youngsters Tom Kenny, Oisin Gough and Bill Sheehan from their minor team of 2015 has allowed the Boro within touching distance of the Tom Walsh Cup but they will have to put in their best performance of the year to win it. James Stephens have real momentum and several of the team who won in 2011. Tradition is sometimes overrated but it could carry the Village over the line. It'll be a real tight game and is very hard to call. Buckley has been immense for the last three years ( not withstanding his crucial absences in 15/16) and if he can produce a huge performance , Palmerstown may be rocking next Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Shane Maher and Oisin walsh last played senior with Dicksboro in 2014 when St. Martins beat them. Enda Malone has been struggling with injuries for a couple of years.

You don't need to say it 13 times :D :pac:
    Apologies. Phone acting up

Shane Maher and Oisin walsh last played senior with Dicksboro in 2014 when St. Martins beat them. Enda Malone has been struggling with injuries for a couple of years.
    I meant they were around the senior club set up at the start of the year. Shane has been out for the last two years AFAIK think it was a cruciate, has been doing lots of rehab and fitness but obviously hasn't got far enough yet. Not sure what Oisin's injury is (think it's his back?) but he's been in and out of training with the Boro for the last two years.
    Ends Malone played most games last year for the Boro often coming off with injuries to I think he's hammy again not fit enough this year I assume. Was playing a bit of junior I think.

Shane and Oisin had call ups to the KK senior panel a few years ago but don't think they were interested in that level along with Mick Fagan.
    I've seen Oisin destroy JJ Delaney at centre back in 25mins back a few years ago in a relegation semi, he dragged us over the line. Shane is a brilliant forward love his touch and power at club level and deceptively fast for such a big man. To be honest if we had him playing all year I'd be very confident next week as he used to really lead the line so we'll. Guzzy is a really hard, skilful back who never let us down on the field and was on the KK intermediate panel last year. They'll all be missed but we've been without them all year and have learned to win without them. With any luck they'll get back next year and drive us on further.

I meant they were around the senior club set up at the start of the year. Shane has been out for the last two years AFAIK think it was a cruciate, has been doing lots of rehab and fitness but obviously hasn't got far enough yet. Not sure what Oisin's injury is (think it's his back?) but he's been in and out of training with the Boro for the last two years.
    Ends Malone played most games last year for the Boro often coming off with injuries to I think he's hammy again not fit enough this year I assume. Was playing a bit of junior I think.

Shane and Oisin had call ups to the KK senior panel a few years ago but don't think they were interested in that level along with Mick Fagan.
    I've seen Oisin destroy JJ Delaney at centre back in 25mins back a few years ago in a relegation semi, he dragged us over the line. Shane is a brilliant forward love his touch and power at club level and deceptively fast for such a big man. To be honest if we had him playing all year I'd be very confident next week as he used to really lead the line so we'll. Guzzy is a really hard, skilful back who never let us down on the field and was on the KK intermediate panel last year. They'll all be missed but we've been without them all year and have learned to win without them. With any luck they'll get back next year and drive us on further.

It's unfortunate these lads have suffered with injuries,shane maher had great hands while oisin walsh was a hardy bit of stuff,both were brought into the senior setup a few years ago,is danny kenny finished altogether?
    It's suprising no kilkenny players on the senior or 21 shinty panels,conor phelan is involved he had success with camogie.
    Any news on the minor management team are they staying on?
    The seniors are supposed to be back next month,I suppose most teams are putting panels together for next season.as others have said it's hard to see mick fennelly putting in another year.Will cody cull a few fringe players or lads he no longer trusts,lads like michael walsh have being on the panel years,lads like pender/joyce/john joe are on and off.there's a rebuild on he'll have to try find 4 or 5 starters which won't be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i see your junior champions are playing our inter champions saturday in navan
    what are John Lockes like compared to previous years champions?

sc86 wrote: »
    i see your junior champions are playing our inter champions saturday in navan
    what are John Lockes like compared to previous years champions?

They won the junior about 5 years ago stayed intermediate for bout 2 years and came back down.
    They produced a few county minors over the last few years mostly defenders,2×mcgraths,bill mcdowell and jason corcoran and ryan bergin played a few matches u21 corner back for the county but plays in the fowards for callan,james power has being good at center foward and takes the frees.I'd expect them to go well in leinster unless they extend their celebrations and get caught at the first hurdle

when was the junior final?
    navan are a decent team so should be good game
    mooncoin beat last years meath champions in the junior final in nolan park , how did they get on at inter level this year?

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »
    when was the junior final?
    navan are a decent team so should be good game
    mooncoin beat last years meath champions in the junior final in nolan park , how did they get on at inter level this year?

Junior final was last saturday,they beat oloughlins junior team who had a few older lads who would of played senior last year against cuala mixed with some good young lads,I didn't see the match but it was a very good match with james power getting a late point to win it.
    Mooncoin avoided relegation which would of being probably their aim.They started slowly losing there first 3 matches I think but beat ballyragget who are in the intermediate final this sunday in the league.I would of said callan have more to offer than mooncoin with a good few of there youngsters wearing county colours at different stages but a week turnaround mightnt help as I'm sure they celebrated the week well

might even things up a bit ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kkcitylover12

It's unfortunate these lads have suffered with injuries,shane maher had great hands while oisin walsh was a hardy bit of stuff,both were brought into the senior setup a few years ago,is danny kenny finished altogether?
    It's suprising no kilkenny players on the senior or 21 shinty panels,conor phelan is involved he had success with camogie.
    Any news on the minor management team are they staying on?
    The seniors are supposed to be back next month,I suppose most teams are putting panels together for next season.as others have said it's hard to see mick fennelly putting in another year.Will cody cull a few fringe players or lads he no longer trusts,lads like michael walsh have being on the panel years,lads like pender/joyce/john joe are on and off.there's a rebuild on he'll have to try find 4 or 5 starters which won't be easy.

You would have to wonder will pat o Grady stay with the u17/minor team, they did with the arrabawn u16 last year so obv a good team available to whoever wants them.

Yeah Mick fennelly looked to be struggling towards the end of the year with both club and county. Will be a huge loss when he does call it a day. You would have to question how long a guy should be on the panel if he's not lucky enough to make the breakthrough to the starting 15 or 26 panel for games. Mick Walsh has had a number of set backs with injuries too.

Alot of this year's u21s were already in training with the senior so won't be any surprise if alot of them are in again next year. Has there been any guys standing out for clubs this year esp in the senior ranks? Clubs like rower/carrickshock/danesfort/village/mullinavat ? Martin gaffney has been very consistent during the year. Conor Browne looked good last Sunday for the village. Calls up even for winter training with the seniors will definitely develop some of the fringe players

As mentioned above most of this year's u21 crop will be part of the panel next year but most of them will need a year or 2 to be physical enough as the match against limerick proved we were blown away in the physical stakes.
    Conor browne has benefited from the summer off I'd expect mick malone to get another call up,he might not be the most stylish but his a cody type player;enda morrissey will probably get a call up

How old is Enda Morrissey ? Much better prospect than Jason Cleere. Michael Malone is not up to the standard required skillfully, we have enough players that are "Cody type"

How old is Enda Morrissey ? Much better prospect than Jason Cleere. Michael Malone is not up to the standard required skillfully, we have enough players that are "Cody type"

Morrissey is the same age as conor martin/chris bolger so about 23,john wallsh gave him a tough time in ballyhale in the relegation semi but walsh can do that when on form,I think there's something in morrissey.

Morrissey is the same age as conor martin/chris bolger so about 23,john wallsh gave him a tough time in ballyhale in the relegation semi but walsh can do that when on form,I think there's something in morrissey.
    As far as I know, he was called in last year but kept failing the beep test. Great at catching a ball

So am I right in saying we've dublin and galway away and wexford and offally at home?

So am I right in saying we've dublin and galway away and wexford and offally at home?

Yep. It's a tough draw for us in terms of playing Dublin & Galway away. But having Wexford in Nowlan Park and having no match in the previous round is a positive.

Round 1 - Dublin v Kilkenny; Offaly v Galway

Round 2 - Kilkenny v Offaly; Wexford v Dublin

Round 3 - Offaly v Wexford; Galway v Kilkenny

Round 4 - Dublin v Offaly; Wexford v Galway

Round 5 - Kilkenny v Wexford; Galway v Dublin

• Advertisement

Always thought Enda with his really strong running game and touch had more inter count potential than Sean Morrissey. It a hugely important year for Jason Cleere in my opinion as he has to up his game to the levels we know he capable off if he serious about nailing a starting team position. Michael Malone is not going to make it senior inter county and a good club hurler is his standard.
    I have been to a alot of club games this year and really worrying the drop in standard in club hurling in Kilkenny. I know we were blessed with the likes of the Ballyhale team at their peak......... but just general skill levels at all grades has dropped. I know it is a game where nerves play a huge part for both teams but the intermediate relegation match last week was woeful but more worryingly is was the 'old brigade' on both teams who played best on each team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement