Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Spotted in the grounds of @KieransCollege - you know a county is sports-mad when the pedestrian signs feature walking hurlers! https://t.co/6mTYOHKuEo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't think cleere is dominant at 6 he might be better on the wing it wonder could he work at corner back? but I wouldnt mind seeing a hb line of walsh,buckley and reid,id try delaney or cody at 3.
    With the championship the way it is now teams will use the league more to experiment hopefully we won't see our more experienced lads til March but I won't hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

brookville wrote: »
    I don't think cleere is dominant  at 6 he might be better on the wing it wonder could he work at corner back? but I wouldnt mind seeing a hb line of walsh,buckley and reid,id try delaney or cody at 3.
    With the championship the way it is now teams will use the league more to experiment hopefully  we won't see our more experienced lads til March but I won't hold my breath
    Agree with all that and interesting point about Cleere in the corner. I definitely could see it working but the only worry I have it that he has a habit of being hooked and blocked so if that were to happen in the full back line it could very well lead to a goal chance opportunity for the opposition. 
    Likewise I would love to see the halfback line you mentioned tried out in the league. All three are very good in the air, good stick men, use the sliotar well and capable of scoring long range scores. 
    Any one else playing very well for their clubs that not currently involved in senior panel that be worth taking a punt on?For me some players I have been impressed with for club this year and and like to see given a shot in even a few walsh cup games were Cathal O'Neill, Billy Ryan and John Donnelly. Also like the look and potential of Geoff Morrissey at full back for Ballyragget but I will hold off further praise for him until I see how he fairs out this weekend......!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kkcitylover12

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Agree with all that and interesting point about Cleere in the corner. I definitely could see it working but the only worry I have it that he has a habit of being hooked and blocked so if that were to happen in the full back line it could very well lead to a goal chance opportunity for the opposition. 
    Likewise I would love to see the halfback line you mentioned tried out in the league. All three are very good in the air, good stick men, use the sliotar well and capable of scoring long range scores. 
    Any one else playing very well for their clubs that not currently involved in senior panel that be worth taking a punt on?For me some players I have been impressed with for club this year and and like to see given a shot in even a few walsh cup games were Cathal O'Neill, Billy Ryan and John Donnelly. Also like the look and potential of Geoff Morrissey at full back for Ballyragget but I will hold off further praise for him until I see how he fairs out this weekend......!!!!

I would think Cleere strongest position is somewhere in the half backline, can be very strong coming out with the ball, he's playing with Carlow IT Fitzgibbon team under the eye of DJ Carey and Dempsey which can only help the lad.
    From the games I seen throughout the year number of players impressed me, likes of Ciaran Ryan from the Rower, Jack Langton very good year for Clara, Cathal O'Neill also, Ger Malone and Tom Alyward from Mullinavat and Huw Lawlor prob standout player for 21s and going well with o'loughlins currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Is it going to be the year for the teams in maroon in the intermediate, senior, championship 2017 the best of luck to all teams involved the next two sundays hope the weather will not spoil things at this stage.

• Advertisement

I would think Cleere strongest position is somewhere in the half backline, can be very strong coming out with the ball, he's playing with Carlow IT Fitzgibbon team under the eye of DJ Carey and Dempsey which can only help the lad.
    From the games I seen throughout the year number of players impressed me, likes of Ciaran Ryan from the Rower, Jack Langton very good year for Clara, Cathal O'Neill also, Ger Malone and Tom Alyward from Mullinavat and Huw Lawlor prob standout player for 21s and going well with o'loughlins currently

I seen Ciaran ryan playing a few times this year around mid field and like robbie fitzpatrick his benefitted from his move,hopefully luke scanlon can continue his form but he needs to fill out while john donnelly is a lovely hurler with very good hands hopefully dempsy can work with him over the winter.
    Paul holden is another with good hands maybe lacking pace for county I'd put tom alyward in the same boat but he is steady at club level so his worth a look.Hopefully john power will be back.
    Brian o donovan and damien walsh had their moments for the shocks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭suirway

Looks as if the new championship proposals are going to do nothing whatsoever for club hurlers in Kilkenny. Indeed the club hurlers lot looks like it will be worse than ever! Based on the proposed fixtures on the KK website looking like two or max three rounds of the league in April and nothing whatsoever then until mid August when the final rounds of the league will be played.

The championship dates will be exactly the same as the current year! So much for club players getting summer hurling. Essentially club players will have the guts of 4 months from mid April approx to mid August with nothing bar meaningless Byrne Cup or Aylward Cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Joke in fairness. Intercounty season is way too long anyway. Now with the round robin they are basically running the league twice anyway, is it time to consolidate the inter county season into a league-championship model like the kk county championship? League would mean more, would free up loads of time for club. Usual response is that it would reduce hurlings window of exposure nationally, which is a nonsense argument for several reasons but even setting that aside, it betrays the truth that they don't really care about club hurlers, or more likely take for granted they'll always be there. Personally if I had the talent to play senior hurling I never would, you can have no life, and all for what seems like endless training during the months hurling was designed to be played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Realt Dearg Sec
    Today 17:50
    #7,059
    Joke in fairness. Intercounty season is way too long anyway. Now with the round robin they are basically running the league twice anyway, is it time to consolidate the inter county season into a league-championship model like the kk county championship? League would mean more, would free up loads of time for club. Usual response is that it would reduce hurlings window of exposure nationally, which is a nonsense argument for several reasons but even setting that aside, it betrays the truth that they don't really care about club hurlers, or more likely take for granted they'll always be there. Personally if I had the talent to play senior hurling I never would, you can have no life, and all for what seems like endless training during the months hurling was designed to be played in.

Totally agree with what your saying however having the talent is one thing but its having the pride and passion of playing for your county and on the big stages an all Ireland final that matter to some. Sacrifices are made to fulfill dreams and create legacys

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Realt Dearg Sec
    Today 17:50
    #7,059

Totally agree with what your saying however having the talent is one thing but its having the pride and passion of playing for your county and on the big stages an all Ireland final that matter to some. Sacrifices are made to fulfill dreams and create legacys

Oh I'm talking about lads playing senior club hurling. Grown men with careers and families but without inter-county careers who basically can't plan a holiday, can't go anywhere and can't do anything for much of their twenties and thirties because they never know when they'll be free during the summer so they can't arrange anything. It's enough of a balls that they are (ridiculously) basically expected to stay teetotal for 8 or 9 months, but to be training often for months at a time with no definite fixtures set. Makes it impossible to plan a year long training regime as well. But look, there's nothing new in any of these problems, it's just amazing that instead of trying to fix them they're finding ways to make it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Problem is that the GAA season is all over the shop. All other sports have their rules and games on a regular basis.

GAA seems to be always chopping and changing the rules, structure and format nearly on a yearly basis. Every congress there's something new being added.

The one thing that I think should have changed 10 years ago was the inter-county season. Play 2 games - 1 on a Saturday evening and 1 on a Sunday instead of 1 game in every province on a Sunday. Dragged it out too long. 2 games a week-end would have halved the inter-county season.

Lads just to play. It'd be interesting to see the training to game ratio of inter-county teams from Jan until they go out of the championship.

Would it be 1:7 i.e. 1 game for 7 training sessions?

New structure for 2018, so all change again - for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

Great win for Ballyragget now promoted to senior.. Better team won. Great displays from, Brooky Phelan, Michael Brennan and John Mooney..Saorise Kenny ,James Gannon and captain Steve Staunton strong when needed , bigger names of Kevin Kelly, Joe Brennan and Geoff Brennan did ok and played there part..

GBC looked dangerous at times and experience will stand to them, Jesse Roberts was excellent first 20 mins, Billy Ryan got a great goal and looks dangerous but out of the game too long. His younger brother has much better work rate and great ability to win hard ball . Teehan full back played well. Eddie Brennan tried hard but well marshalled.

Village87 wrote: »
    Great win for Ballyragget now promoted to senior.. Better team won. Great displays from, Brooky Phelan, Michael Brennan and John Mooney..Saorise Kenny ,James Gannon and captain Steve Staunton strong when needed , bigger names of Kevin Kelly, Joe Brennan and Geoff Brennan did ok and played there part..

GBC looked dangerous at times and experience will stand to them, Jesse Roberts was excellent first 20 mins, Billy Ryan got a great goal and looks dangerous but out of the game too long. His younger brother has much better work rate and great ability to win hard ball . Teehan full back played well. Eddie Brennan tried hard but well marshalled.

Apologies left out Bill Staunton who was equally as good as Brooky, M Brennan & Mooney

I thought prenderville started well but faded,teehan done well at full back,billy ryan has a bit to go he looks a bit hot and cold but sean finished his goal well and could be a better prospect.
    Ballycallan started much better than their previous games and probably should of being more in front before bragget got level at half time ballyragget looked to be crusing before ryans goal gave them momentum but fair play to ballyragget after all the hurt over the last few years it's great for lads like brook phelan they should do okay at senior it can only be good for kevin kelly to be hurling senior club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

I thought prenderville started well but faded,teehan done well at full back,billy ryan has a bit to go he looks a bit hot and cold but sean finished his goal well and could be a better prospect.
    Ballycallan started much better than their previous games and probably should of being more in front before bragget got level at half time ballyragget looked to be crusing before ryans goal gave them momentum but fair play to ballyragget after all the hurt over the last few years it's great for lads like brook phelan they should do okay at senior it can only be good for kevin kelly to be hurling senior club
    Ballycallan will be kicking themselves for conceding a goal from a short puckout but Ballyragget the better team even though they only got one point from play in the first half. Ciaran Hoyne was shaky throughout. Dissapointed with Billy Ryan apart from his goal. Agree that Ballyragget will be competitive at senior level, you would imagine it could be Bennettsbridge and Danesfort fighting relegation, possibly Carrickshock.

blackcard wrote: »
    Ballycallan will be kicking themselves for conceding a goal from a short puckout but Ballyragget the better team even though they only got one point from play in the first half. Ciaran Hoyne was shaky throughout. Dissapointed with Billy Ryan apart from his goal. Agree that Ballyragget will be competitive at senior level, you would imagine it could be Bennettsbridge and Danesfort fighting relegation, possibly Carrickshock.

Especially when hoyne has a monster puck but I think ballyragget would of still woman's they done well to recover when gbc got it back to 2-3 points,there was pressure on them after all the defeats,fair play to david buggy I thought they had missed their chance.

Was it not Sean Ryan that got the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

PeterCasey wrote:
    Was it not Sean Ryan that got the second goal.

Billy got the first goal(flicked it in from a sideline) in the first half. Sean got the second goal in second half... Very impressed with Sean ryan, looks a real handful. Billy ryan was poor as was Eddie Brennan, you'd wonder if that will be his last outing with gbc

Billy got the first goal(flicked it in from a sideline) in the first half. Sean got the second goal in second half... Very impressed with Sean ryan, looks a real handful. Billy ryan was poor as was Eddie Brennan, you'd wonder if that will be his last outing with gbc

I agree with the above sean looks more dangerous and has better workrate,he was also impressive in the quater final so hopefully dj can bring him on more next year.
    Eddie was poor yesteray and could of being better coming on but I would of probably started him as well.

I agree with the above sean looks more dangerous and has better workrate,he was also impressive in the quater final so hopefully dj can bring him on more next year.
    Eddie was poor yesteray and could of being better coming on but I would of probably started him as well.
    I think Billy Ryan is more effective out on the half forward line where he can get more involved on the ball and run at defenders. Alot of the ball going into him was high ball which is not what he would want .However like wise it was similar high ball going in to Sean Ryan and he is a much more slighter build yet he still managed to do great work in making a nuisance of himself along with some great harrowing and hassling.
    Suprised GBC started Eddie considering the way it worked out so well the last two games by bringing him on second half. Possibly the decision came down to the fact it was a county final and management felt they needed his experience. 
    I am not a fan of the short puck outs to corner backs as there is generally very little yardage gained and it was what cost Carrickshock the match first day out against the village too, But all GBC short pucks out were hit along the ground which just allows the opposition extra time to read the play and apply pressure to force the turnover. I hope it not the last we seen yesterday of Eddie and James Ryall and they have a team of great potential there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I am not a fan of the short puck outs to corner backs as there is generally very little yardage gained and it was what cost Carrickshock the match first day out against the village too, But all GBC short pucks out were hit along the ground which just allows the opposition extra time to read the play and apply pressure to force the turnover. I hope it not the last we seen yesterday of Eddie and James Ryall and they have a team of great potential there.

The short puckout is nothing to do with yardage, it's primary aim is to improve the quality of the second ball i.e. the ball that ultimately gets delivered to the forwards, it is extremely effective when done right and more importantly to the 'right' defender. The problems start when the defender is not a good enough hurler to pull it off, which obviously will happen at club level a lot more.

danganabu wrote: »

The short puckout is nothing to do with yardage, it's primary aim is to improve the quality of the second ball i.e. the ball that ultimately gets delivered to the forwards, it is extremely effective when done right and more importantly to the 'right' defender. The problems start when the defender is not a good enough hurler to pull it off, which obviously will happen at club level a lot more.
    I understand that completely but espicially at club level more often than not the ball just goes to corner back who gets flustered into a rushed clearance. I agree with you at county level it can be effective when you have the likes of Murphy and Nash pinging the pass into the hand and then you have a corner back who is capable of using the ball effectively.
    Similarly enough I find it hard to understand the logic of teams at club level when they play with a two man full forward line and witdraw a man out to third midfielder or a sweeper on half back line. This means the skill level required to deliver good quality ball into a two man full forward line that is going to be outnumbered has to be very accurate and on the money for the two inside forwards. What I generally find is that at club level the not all players are at the required standard to play this strategy and usually plays in to the oppositions hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Similarly enough I find it hard to understand the logic of teams at club level when they play with a two man full forward line and witdraw a man out to third midfielder or a sweeper on half back line. This means the skill level required to deliver good quality ball into a two man full forward line that is going to be outnumbered has to be very accurate and on the money for the two inside forwards. What I generally find is that at club level the not all players are at the required standard to play this strategy and usually plays in to the oppositions hand

Fair point although it has to be said that when St Pats put Michael Brennan into that role yesterday and especially when the put Kevin Kelly into the full forward line, it worked very well for them. Michael is a very skillful and smart player and played some lovely passes into Kevin Kelly, Joe Brennan and Brook Phelan.
    On the point about Billy Ryan, whilst he didn't have a great game, I think the tactic of putting him in full forward did upset the St Pats defence as it resulted in Geoff Morrissey moving out to the half back line where he was much more ineffective.

I heard the village aren't happy with their minors going ahead before the senior sunday,I heard the village wanted it changed but o loughlins wouldnt agree to it?brassil usually comes on for the seniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I heard the village aren't happy with their minors going ahead before the senior sunday,I heard the village wanted it changed but o loughlins wouldnt agree to it,brassil usually comes on for the seniors.

Game is changed.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Game is changed.

Fair enough so,it was on the website earlier,on the flip slide it's not o loughlins fault I'm sure most young lads want to play before the county final but when you have a few minors on the fringes you'd prefer not to have it on before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sunflower3

Aren't Ballycallan still in the Minors??? Still down for 1pm Sunday on Kilkenny Gaa

Final 1 00 PM Nowlan Park James Stephens --- --- O`Loughlin Gaels/ Graigue Ballycallan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Fair enough so,it was on the website earlier,on the flip slide it's not o loughlins fault I'm sure most young lads want to play before the county final but when you have a few minors on the fringes you'd prefer not to have it on before hand.

Just to clarify, O'Loughlin Gaels are not in the minor final. Graigue Ballycallan are playing them this week in the semi-final. The Village will await the winners of that semi-final in the minor final.

My understanding is that the minor semi-final be played this Sunday in Nowlan Park before the senior final. The minor final will be played the following weekend.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, O'Loughlin Gaels are not in the minor final. Graigue Ballycallan are playing them this week in the semi-final. The Village will await the winners of that semi-final in the minor final.

My understanding is that the minor semi-final be played this Sunday in Nowlan Park before the senior final. The minor final will be played the following weekend.

Sorry then for the mix up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Comerman

KK GAA has the semi down for Dunmore Wednesday night and the final Sunday and the Village website have the minor final fixture down for Sunday too.

Comerman wrote: »
    KK GAA has the semi down for Dunmore Wednesday night and the final Sunday and the Village website have the minor final fixture down for Sunday too.
    They said the same last night on the kclr sports report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Co. Final likely match ups. I've only seen the VIllage twice this year so I may be wrong on my judgement of them. Would be interested to hear others opinions

Derrick Brennan - Darragh Holohan = Derrick has been a good solid keeper and couldn't be blamed for the goal against Ballyhale he's puckouts have been decent as well. Darragh has done a great job for the Boro this year he's shot stopping is very good and has been cool under pressure and high balls.

David Hennessy - Bill Sheehan = David is a big lad and this may not be the match up and he was decent in the semi final. Bill has caused an awful lot of trouble to all defences with his speed and trickery.

Donnacha Cody - Martin Gaffney = Donnacha is a big man and not reknowned for his pace I think he was exposed against Ballyhale a few times but was solid overall. Murt is big as well and had been ineffective up to this year but he's really stepped it up this year and has got some vital scores for the Boro.

Tomas Keogh - Andy Gaffney = For me Tomas was the best defender the Village had on display in the semi he got stuck into the Shamrocks and broke up multiple Shamrocks attacks. Andy has great talent is turning into a big lad but has been struggling to get completely fit all year by the looks of it. Could have a huge influence on the game but will he last the whole game?

Niall Delaney - Shane Stapleton = Niall is a decent player but I didn't think he was that impressive in the semi. Shane has been a good edition to the Boro attack this year. He's a good ball winner and direct runner and solid from placed ball too.

Jackie Tyrrell - Eoin Gough = We all know how good Jackie has been over his career but other than two balls I really don't think he did much in the semi final. Eoin has been a CB growing up and is a very tall lad with lots of skill and will be handful for either Jackie or Donnacha.

Shane Donoghue - Oisin Gough = I've been super impressed with Shane he's shown great heart and is a very tigerish defender and gets well stuck in. Oisin has been a great player for the Boro all year particularly for such a young lad he was well marshalled in the semi final and will need to rediscover earlier form.

Niall Mullins - Robbie Fitzpatrick = Niall has played well without being a real force from what I've seen. Robbie has made a move from defence to midfield and has done a decent job so far there.

Conor Browne - Ollie Walsh = Conor played very well in the semi final and was very effective in both launching and breaking up Shamrocks attacks. Ollie has been a real powerhouse for the Boro this year scoring plenty of points throughout.

Matthew Ruth - Aidan Nolan = Matt is always dangerous but often erratic, he can be great one day and ineffective the next. Aidan is a big lad who is strong in the air who defends well and delivers nice ball forward.

Eoin Larkin - Cillian Buckley = Larks is the Village fire fighter and is used where ever they need help most he started the semi in midfield, started the second half at full forward and ended the game as a sweeper. He was very influential for 40 mins but definitely tappered off after that. Buckley is one of very few who played well for Kilkenny this year and has done the same for the club. I don't think these to will end up on each other however as Larks will probably not play CF.

Luke Scanlon - Tom Kenny = Luke had by far the best game I've seen him play at senior level he was everything you would hope a lad of his talent could be. He drifts around the field a lot and is as often in his half back line as he is in the half forward line. Tom has again really stepped up for such a young lad and is always supporting his fellow defenders and delivers great ball forward.

Mikey Drennan - Michael Fagan = Mikey to be is a bit of an enigma I hear about how good he is from Village lads but I've yet to see it, hopefully I won't on Sunday. Michael is the old man of the Boro team at 28(?) he's a fast a strong player not beaten a huge amount.

David Walton - Evan Cody = Davy is lethal from frees no matter the distance, and I would normally say he contributes very little from open play but I thought he was very good in the semi final. Evan has had a poor two years with the club but he has gone from strength to strength this year. He's still young but is physically very imposing and can hurl.

Tadhg Dwyer - Conor Doheny = Tadhg had a day most lads can only dream of in the semi. If he can replicate that the Village will win. He's a fast and tidy hurler that will cause trouble all day. Conor has come back from a bad injury half way through the U21 campaign and is doing well. He's a smart and tenacious back that you won't shake.

I see most of these contests as being close on paper and obviously both sides will shade one or two with the county men most likely. It'll really come down to the supporting cast and who from that can stand up and reach the levels of Buckley or Larkin to give their team that extra edge. The last 3 or 4 games between the teams have been close and open games and it promises to be an exciting final that will be only be decided by a score or two max in the end.

Comerman wrote: »
    I was talking to a father of one of the O'LG minors and thats exactly how he understood it. Semi final Wednesday in Dunmore and final for the winners v Village on Sunday. The KKGAA still has both those fixtures showing.

I think Billy Ryan is more effective out on the half forward line where he can get more involved on the ball and run at defenders. Alot of the ball going into him was high ball which is not what he would want .However like wise it was similar high ball going in to Sean Ryan and he is a much more slighter build yet he still managed to do great work in making a nuisance of himself along with some great harrowing and hassling.
    Suprised GBC started Eddie considering the way it worked out so well the last two games by bringing him on second half. Possibly the decision came down to the fact it was a county final and management felt they needed his experience. 

Ballycallan made a big error on the sideline when Bob Murphy was withdrawn his physicality around the middle was a big loss as Ballyrragget had a few big men around there. Young Ronan was brought on, small man in around the middle third Sunday was not up to the standards, has an awkward way about him

Co. Final likely match ups. I've only seen the VIllage twice this year so I may be wrong on my judgement of them. Would be interested to hear others opinions

Derrick Brennan - Darragh Holohan = Derrick has been a good solid keeper and couldn't be blamed for the goal against Ballyhale he's puckouts have been decent as well. Darragh has done a great job for the Boro this year he's shot stopping is very good and has been cool under pressure and high balls.

David Hennessy - Bill Sheehan = David is a big lad and this may not be the match up and he was decent in the semi final. Bill has caused an awful lot of trouble to all defences with his speed and trickery.

Donnacha Cody - Martin Gaffney = Donnacha is a big man and not reknowned for his pace I think he was exposed against Ballyhale a few times but was solid overall. Murt is big as well and had been ineffective up to this year but he's really stepped it up this year and has got some vital scores for the Boro.

Tomas Keogh - Andy Gaffney = For me Tomas was the best defender the Village had on display in the semi he got stuck into the Shamrocks and broke up multiple Shamrocks attacks. Andy has great talent is turning into a big lad but has been struggling to get completely fit all year by the looks of it. Could have a huge influence on the game but will he last the whole game?

Niall Delaney - Shane Stapleton = Niall is a decent player but I didn't think he was that impressive in the semi. Shane has been a good edition to the Boro attack this year. He's a good ball winner and direct runner and solid from placed ball too.

Jackie Tyrrell - Eoin Gough = We all know how good Jackie has been over his career but other than two balls I really don't think he did much in the semi final. Eoin has been a CB growing up and is a very tall lad with lots of skill and will be handful for either Jackie or Donnacha.

Shane Donoghue - Oisin Gough = I've been super impressed with Shane he's shown great heart and is a very tigerish defender and gets well stuck in. Oisin has been a great player for the Boro all year particularly for such a young lad he was well marshalled in the semi final and will need to rediscover earlier form.

Niall Mullins - Robbie Fitzpatrick = Niall has played well without being a real force from what I've seen. Robbie has made a move from defence to midfield and has done a decent job so far there.

Conor Browne - Ollie Walsh = Conor played very well in the semi final and was very effective in both launching and breaking up Shamrocks attacks. Ollie has been a real powerhouse for the Boro this year scoring plenty of points throughout.

Matthew Ruth - Aidan Nolan = Matt is always dangerous but often erratic, he can be great one day and ineffective the next. Aidan is a big lad who is strong in the air who defends well and delivers nice ball forward.

Eoin Larkin - Cillian Buckley = Larks is the Village fire fighter and is used where ever they need help most he started the semi in midfield, started the second half at full forward and ended the game as a sweeper. He was very influential for 40 mins but definitely tappered off after that. Buckley is one of very few who played well for Kilkenny this year and has done the same for the club. I don't think these to will end up on each other however as Larks will probably not play CF.

Luke Scanlon - Tom Kenny = Luke had by far the best game I've seen him play at senior level he was everything you would hope a lad of his talent could be. He drifts around the field a lot and is as often in his half back line as he is in the half forward line. Tom has again really stepped up for such a young lad and is always supporting his fellow defenders and delivers great ball forward.

Mikey Drennan - Michael Fagan = Mikey to be is a bit of an enigma I hear about how good he is from Village lads but I've yet to see it, hopefully I won't on Sunday. Michael is the old man of the Boro team at 28(?) he's a fast a strong player not beaten a huge amount.

David Walton - Evan Cody = Davy is lethal from frees no matter the distance, and I would normally say he contributes very little from open play but I thought he was very good in the semi final. Evan has had a poor two years with the club but he has gone from strength to strength this year. He's still young but is physically very imposing and can hurl.

Tadhg Dwyer - Conor Doheny = Tadhg had a day most lads can only dream of in the semi. If he can replicate that the Village will win. He's a fast and tidy hurler that will cause trouble all day. Conor has come back from a bad injury half way through the U21 campaign and is doing well. He's a smart and tenacious back that you won't shake.

I see most of these contests as being close on paper and obviously both sides will shade one or two with the county men most likely. It'll really come down to the supporting cast and who from that can stand up and reach the levels of Buckley or Larkin to give their team that extra edge. The last 3 or 4 games between the teams have been close and open games and it promises to be an exciting final that will be only be decided by a score or two max in the end.

Very good analysis, your well up to speed on all the Village players, a lot will depend on how Buckley and Larkin play as they both free roles, who ever can do the most damage will go along way. Village lack a bit of speed in the backs but should be ok as the guys lacking are experienced enough not to get themselves in that situation in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

One key advantage the Village could have is experience. Brennan, Cody, Keogh, Tyrrell, Ruth, Larkin & Walton have all been around the block and are unlikely to be phased by a County Final experience. There'll doubtless be a few of the younger lads (on both sides) for whom the game will largely pass them by.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    One key advantage the Village could have is experience. Brennan, Cody, Keogh, Tyrrell, Ruth, Larkin & Walton have all been around the block and are unlikely to be phased by a County Final experience. There'll doubtless be a few of the younger lads (on both sides) for whom the game will largely pass them by.
    At the same time the Boro have 16 lads who were involved in 2012. 7 of those are starters now and 5 of the 7 started in 2012 as well. While obviously we don't have lads with the same level of experience in Senior finals all of the lads have been involved in plenty of big finals in their careers minor/U21'S club or county. I don't think it will be as big an issue as it was in 2012 and I know the lads won't use it as a crutch before or an excuse afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Really enjoyable read but Evan Cody was voted club hurler of the year in 2015 and called into the Kk senior panel as well..... he certainly hadn't a poor last two years.

Really enjoyable read but Evan Cody was voted club hurler of the year in 2015 and called into the Kk senior panel as well..... he certainly hadn't a poor last two years.

Well maybe I'm being hyper critical, in 2014 he was excellent and was so dominant in the club's U21's campaign. I didn't think he was as good in '15 as he was in '14 maybe I was expecting too much. He wasn't bad but I didn't think he played as well as '14. He was in with the KK seniors as an extra body for some of the training in '15 but was called in as a full squad member in 2016. Last year was probably the poorest I've ever seen him play and he looked like a guy with zero confidence which has come back this year and has grown as the year has gone on. He is now back to where he was in 2014 (for me anyway)

Well maybe I'm being hyper critical, in 2014 he was excellent and was so dominant in the club's U21's campaign. I didn't think he was as good in '15 as he was in '14 maybe I was expecting too much. He wasn't bad but I didn't think he played as well as '14. He was in with the KK seniors as an extra body for some of the training in '15 but was called in as a full squad member in 2016. Last year was probably the poorest I've ever seen him play and he looked like a guy with zero confidence which has come back this year and has grown as the year has gone on. He is now back to where he was in 2014 (for me anyway)

We can agree to differ, I thought 2015 was his best club year so far. Thats why B.Cody called him in full time. You thought 2014. 2017 started rough v Clare but playing really well for the Boro. Will be one of those needed to really perform on Sunday if Dicksboro are to win.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the match sunday it should be tight and a new pairing with town neighbours should add that little spice to it,I think it's very hard to call but with the boro unbeaten all year I made a reference earlier in the year that they reminded me of galway and like galway they've dug out hard results they wouldn't of done previously,coming from the dead against the vat the first day and really grounded out the semi final win so maybe there ready to take the last step.
    The boro have a lot of players from their last final appearance which should help them sunday and won't fear the village like they would ballyhale.
    If lads can put in a big shift sunday they'll probably put their hand up for the county next year like deegan did this year.

Just following up on something tbiggertheycome said earlier: is Michael Fagan seriously the oldest lad on the boro team? That's a seriously young squad all in all if so.

Just following up on something tbiggertheycome said earlier: is Michael Fagan seriously the oldest lad on the boro team? That's a seriously young squad all in all if so.

Along with Shane Stapleton , both 28

Along with Shane Stapleton , both 28

Of the starters, there's a few older lads on the bench but not many. Eddie O'Donoghue, Paul Flynn spring to mind. Yep Boro have a very young average age for the starting team I would say.

Ballyraggett enjoying there win over the weekend anyway fair play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Ballyraggett enjoying there win over the weekend anyway fair play to them

If that's the new full forward line for next year, I'd say they'll do a fair bit of damage. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I presume these 'celebrations' are going to be all over the national media tomorrow. Surely there must have been someone there with a bit of cop on to stop it or ensure there were no phones or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

talk about bringing shame on the club !

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

sc86 wrote: »
    talk about bringing shame on the club !

WHat happened??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Comerman

Heard there's some amount of pictures about, anyone??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement