Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That Loughlins team are some outfit. Very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Couldn't have asked for better weather for the finals today in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Looks a poor enough crowd for county final day.

Boro an absolute joy to watch at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jaysus that was some first half :eek:

The Boro are the better team, some lovely play and scores from them. The Village are still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ttowncat

Hopefully this is not a stupid question but why is diarmuid cody sitting in the stands with his parents?

Fabulous first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Exciting match, I'd be nervous that the boro gave left the village get back into it after going so far ahead, if it turns into a slog it will be advantage the village, they have the players for that kind of thing

Christ its like the Kilmacud 7s for goals out there.

• Advertisement

Great match. Dicksboro worthy champions and were superb today. Well done to the Village for keeping it as close as they did when other teams could have been blown apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Should be a good game with cuala next sunday.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Cillian Buckley as next year's captain. I'll take that.

Hon the boro!!!!

Well done to Dicksboro, but who is going to break it to them that Fifi is booked out due to a 70% increase in business since last week?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to tell boro,better team but they'll be disappointed the way the village walked straight through them at times but when they click their very impressive there's no reason why they can't give leinster a good shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭dzer2

Well done to Dicksboro, but who is going to break it to them that Fifi is booked out due to a 70% increase in business since last week?? :P

Not sure she could fill that cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Fifi ain't senior level

brookville wrote: »
    Well done to tell boro,better team but they'll be disappointed the way the village walked straight through them at times but when they click their very impressive there's no reason why they can't give leinster a good shot

They will be disappointed in that for sure but it's very much out of the ordinary. Their defence has been pretty solid all year, conceding no more than a goal in any other game and keeping a couple of clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Bizarre sort of game but great entertainment. Boro deserving champions, some lovely hurling and well taken scores.

Think Matt Ruth's missed sitter in the second half was the crucial point of the game. If that had gone in it would have been a 3 point game, instead the Boro went up the other end and scored a goal of their own. Game over.

Buckley was good when the free man, seemed to have nobody marking him at times. Gaffney, Stapleton, Gough, Sheehan all clicked.

Thought Larkin & Tyrrell were very bad for the Village. Whatever chance they had, they had no chance with those two off form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

It's early days. It was Tuesday before she got involved in the Intermediate celebrations. They won't want her to come prematurely. I'd imagine before the middle of the week is out someone in the city will Boro their Dick into her...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Powerhouse wrote: »
    It's early days. It was Tuesday before she got involved in the Intermediate celebrations. They won't want her to come prematurely. I'd imagine before the middle of the week is out someone in the city will Boro their Dick into her...................

Are you a teenager or something? Grow up.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Bizarre sort of game but great entertainment. Boro deserving champions, some lovely hurling and well taken scores.

Think Matt Ruth's missed sitter in the second half was the crucial point of the game. If that had gone in it would have been a 3 point game, instead the Boro went up the other end and scored a goal of their own. Game over.

Buckley was good when the free man,
    seemed to have nobody marking him at times. Gaffney, Stapleton, Gough, Sheehan all clicked.

Thought Larkin & Tyrrell were very bad for the Village. Whatever chance they had, they had no chance with those two off form.

I struggle to fathom as to why teams think its a great idea to leave a player of Buckleys calibre as the spare man. His distribution under pressure is fantastic let alone all on his owny owns

BoroMan32 wrote: »

Buckley was good when the free man, seemed to have nobody marking him at times. Gaffney, Stapleton, Gough, Sheehan all clicked.

Agree with most of this and disappointed to see larkin more concerned in getting on to the ref than concentrating on his own game,got involved with doheny aswell,tom keogh tried hard again today especially in the 2nd half,I thought bill sheehan was a real live wire and very hard to mark a young lad like that.boros link up play in the first half especially was very good.why did the village start scanlon at 14 after being so affective out the field the last day,he took his goal well but he gave evan cody the slip to easy,I thought cody wasn't as good today but a big test for him next weekend.
    So who stood out today and can add to the county?oillie walsh had his moments,gough,gaffney,sheehan all shone and the addition of stapleton has helped.
    Well done to all involved and best of luck next weekend

Thought Tyrrell put in a decent performance myself. Larkin didn't do anything all day. One man not getting mentioned who I thought was excellent was Fagan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

ttowncat wrote: »
    Hopefully this is not a stupid question but why is diarmuid cody sitting in the stands with his parents?

Anyone from James Stephens know the answer to this? Surely if he was injured he would still be down in the dugout with his teammates? Seems odd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Powerhouse wrote: »
    You might not have the attention span for it but it's still front page news. I see on the front of one of today's paper that the local priest said the whole business "has left a scar". Disappointing to hear that. You would expect a professional like Fifi to be a bit more careful with those teeth.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

robwen wrote: »
    Fifi ain't senior level
    Claudia Shifter and Naomi Campbell booked for Palmerston, pretentious Boro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

robwen wrote: »
    Fifi ain't senior level
    Claudia Shifter and Naomi Campbell booked for Palmerston, pretentious Boro!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Ger Aylward has to go in my opinion and should have been gone this year.......had potential 3/4 years ago.....hes had his chance and more his attitude and application are polar opposite of whats expected for county level ....Cody underminded himself by keeping him on panel this year

Cant agree with dropping awlyard or joyce.think joyce has got a very raw deal and awlyard fully fit is a starter for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Agree with most of this and disappointed to see larkin more concerned in getting on to the ref than concentrating on his own game,got involved with doheny aswell,tom keogh tried hard again today especially in the 2nd half,I thought bill sheehan was a real live wire and very hard to mark a young lad like that.boros link up play in the first half especially was very good.why did the village start scanlon at 14 after being so affective out the field the last day,he took his goal well but he gave evan cody the slip to easy,I thought cody wasn't as good today but a big test for him next weekend.
    So who stood out today and can add to the county?oillie walsh had his moments,gough,gaffney,sheehan all shone and the addition of stapleton has helped.
    Well done to all involved and best of luck next weekend
    is Stapleton a tipp man?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

thesultan wrote: »
    is Stapleton a tipp man?

Dublin I think.

Apparently the boro boys were warned not to entertain the likes of fifi and her ilk before they even lined out for the match today. Proper order, she’s being treated like some kind of faux celebrity while there’s a chap on suicide watch in ballyragget. Think it’s incredibly crass her selling her story when she’s caused so much turmoil for the place, like I know you can blame the young lad for letting her and the other wan for carrying on the way they did but also look around in the videos released in the media, the majority of that group have their phones out recording it.

A harsh lesson on the reality’s of social media these days and I only hope that the poor chap gets through it all relatively intact.

I struggle to fathom as to why teams think its a great idea to leave a player of Buckleys calibre as the spare man. His distribution under pressure is fantastic let alone all on his owny owns

How do you combat it though? His free role really coincided with Larkin moving centre forward and Robbie Fitxpatrick following him to man mark him. If you push another forward up to mark Bucks that means you 14 in one half of the field and 10 in the other and considering the Village were getting murdered for pace by the Boro forwards that would have been a disaster. The only way to reduce his influence is with a full forward line constantly making unselfish dummy runs and a defence good enough to deliver the ball away from him. Village did neither. I realise you're not just talking about today though in fairness.

I know the defending wasn't great but it was great to watch that first half in what has been a poor year in Kilkenny. 90% of the good stuff was Boro but even the 1st and 3rd Village goals were brilliant.

Delighted theres a different winner than normal and more to the point a team who win playing fast direct, hurling. The only fear is the age profile of the team and that they might dominate. That's for another day though.

The minor had a brilliant first half as well but as a man from a rural club I couldn't help but be depressed watching it. Loughlins with a panel of 36 and Village with 33 when my own club basically had to field our U16s for minor this year and every team below that barely getting to a panel of 20. Tough going for the majority of us.

Eoin Wall and Niall Brassil the standouts in the minor.

On another matter does anyone know the attendance? Don't think they announced it.

How do you combat it though? His free role really coincided with Larkin moving centre forward and Robbie Fitxpatrick following him to man mark him. If you push another forward up to mark Bucks that means you 14 in one half of the field and 10 in the other and considering the Village were getting murdered for pace by the Boro forwards that would have been a disaster. The only way to reduce his influence is with a full forward line constantly making unselfish dummy runs and a defence good enough to deliver the ball away from him. Village did neither. I realise you're not just talking about today though in fairness.

I know the defending wasn't great but it was great to watch that first half in what has been a poor year in Kilkenny. 90% of the good stuff was Boro but even the 1st and 3rd Village goals were brilliant.

Delighted theres a different winner than normal and more to the point a team who win playing fast direct, hurling. The only fear is the age profile of the team and that they might dominate. That's for another day though.

The minor had a brilliant first half as well but as a man from a rural club I couldn't help but be depressed watching it. Loughlins with a panel of 36 and Village with 33 when my own club basically had to field our U16s for minor this year and every team below that barely getting to a panel of 20. Tough going for the majority of us.

Eoin Wall and Niall Brassil the standouts in the minor.

On another matter does anyone know the attendance? Don't think they announced it.

Sound

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

thesultan wrote: »
    is Stapleton a tipp man?

You're thinking of another Shane Stapleton, who funnily enough now plays with Cuala.

Stappo played for my club st patricks of palmerstown in dublin.ironic dicksboro is in palmerstown.

Anyone know why the youth section of O'Loughlin Gaels has an almost exclusive run on match programme making in Kilkenny? Must be a nice little earner for the club. Would it not be fair to spread it out or make it a collaborative effort between interested youths from around the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭suirway

Well if a team drops back a midfielder to mark a centre forward that means they are leaving the opposition to have a sweeper at the other end likewise or else a completely free man midfield.. More often than not a half forward will go midfield leaving it sweeper V sweeper. Boro looked excellent at times. Buckley should be good captain of county. By all accounts big changes with several players released had a new provisional panel of 40 plus starting back this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

davidx40 wrote: »
    Ger Aylward has to go in my opinion and should have been gone this year.......had potential 3/4 years ago.....hes had his chance and more his attitude and application are polar opposite of whats expected for county level ....Cody underminded himself by keeping him on panel this year

We had a lad on here this time last year telling us that he was better than John McGrath, Seamie Callinan and Bubbles :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

What Dicksboro players will be added to the Kilkenny panel? Evan Cody?

blackcard wrote: »

To be honest I think evan has a bit to go,I think fagan is decent but his 26-27?,doheny is one for the future,robbie fitz is a lad I also like,sheehan was lively up front hopefully the boro go on a good run

conor05 wrote: »
    Anyone from James Stephens know the answer to this? Surely if he was injured he would still be down in the dugout with his teammates? Seems odd

He attended most village matches with his parents,I was told he had an injury earlier in the year not sure exactly the injury was,he'd be a loss to the village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

He attended most village matches with his parents,I was told he had an injury earlier in the year not sure exactly the injury was,he'd be a loss to the village

Not really. His performances went from bad to worse last year. Was taken off last year and he verbally attacked a selector. Not all that convinced he was a loss.

blackcard wrote: »

To be honest I think evan has a bit to go,I think fagan is decent but his 26-27?,doheny is one for the future,robbie fitz is a lad I also like,sheehan was lively up front hopefully the boro go on a good run
    Fagan was in the panel a few years ago, don't think he is too interested in getting back on due to the massive demands of it. He's abroad a lot with work as well. And his age might be an issue if they're looking to get younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Not really. His performances went from bad to worse last year. Was taken off last year and he verbally attacked a selector. Not all that convinced he was a loss.

Maybe that explains why he isn’t involved this year. Could have been a fall out over been taken off maybe? Even when he was in Cork IT he didn’t bother togging for the Fitzgibbon cup team. He is big, strong and decent under a high ball but hasn’t the pace for the highest level and constantly gets caught on the turn. Surely would add something to James Stephens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

conor05 wrote: »
    Maybe that explains why he isn’t involved this year. Could have been a fall out over been taken off maybe? Even when he was in Cork IT he didn’t bother togging for the Fitzgibbon cup team. He is big, strong and decent under a high ball but hasn’t the pace for the highest level and constantly gets caught on the turn. Surely would add something to James Stephens though.

Might add something alright, if not good enough to start could make an impact from the bench. Maybe make an no.11 out of him as we have to many slow backs at present

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Looking forward to the U21 getting under way this weekend.

www.kilkennygaa.ie/fixtures?countyBoardID=15&daysAfter=12&nosort=1&orderByRank=Y&compLevel=U21

citykat wrote: »

joke of a competition. Playing it at this time of the year when lads are away in college so teams can't train during the week. To play hurling on heavy ground in November. Jesus the U14 is still going. What possible reason is there not to have that played off earlier. Farcical. And they want to add an U19 grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Ya I seen the under 14 fixtures on the website. Couldn't understand why that is not finished by now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement