Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Well Roinn b was delayed because of the Callan thing with Power but the championship only starts in September. Why? No exams to worry about. Play it in the summer and if people go on holidays so be it. U14 football started in the first weekend in February and they're still going now. Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Well Roinn b was delayed because of the Callan thing with Power but the championship only starts in September. Why? No exams to worry about. Play it in the summer and if people go on holidays so be it. U14 football started in the first weekend in February and they're still going now. Ridiculous

Most underage competitions are a joke

What other sport offers kids 6 competitive games a yr.

If you look at all the grades 5 league games and half of the teams are out in the first round of championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Comerman wrote: »
    He should of shut his mouth and stay out of it. People in glasshouses etc. It's yesterday's news Move on father.
    Why should he stay out of it he is one of the senior officers of the club which he has done a lot of work to progress the club since he came to Ballyragget. He also represented his County with pride with two senior all Ireland medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Just seen eoin Larkin having a right go at dick clerkin over a tweet regarding the scandal last week. Larkin seems very annimated, hasn't carried himself well on or off the field this past two days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Clerkins tweet was completely harmless, no idea what Larkin's issue is only he's sour about losing. Won't even leave him alone after he deleted the tweet. Probably thinks he's making clerkin look bad...

FCIM wrote: »
    Anyone know why the youth section of O'Loughlin Gaels has an almost exclusive run on match programme making in Kilkenny? Must be a nice little earner for the club. Would it not be fair to spread it out or make it a collaborative effort between interested youths from around the county?

It was Eamon Goulding brain wave from O Loughlins club started that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Clerkins tweet was completely harmless, no idea what Larkin's issue is only he's sour about losing. Won't even leave him alone after he deleted the tweet. Probably thinks he's making clerkin look bad...

Very suprised to see what he wrote unless his account was hacked or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm sure if someone on here could come up with a more opportune time for U21, the co board would be all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

blackcard wrote: »
    What Dicksboro players will be added to the Kilkenny panel? Evan Cody?

Evan Cody is already on the panel, started the league match down in Ennis and got taken off at half time. Personally i think he lacks that bit of edge to make it at inter-county level.

Evan Cody is already on the panel, started the league match down in Ennis and got taken off at half time. Personally i think he lacks that bit of edge to make it at inter-county level.

I think he has a bit to go myself but he has improved,it'll be interesting to see how he goes sunday.con o callaghan beat olg on his own last year but the only thing with the boro is they have more pace in defence,it should be a good match.
    Just looking at things with the county next year especially in the league we'll be without murphy and fennelly,joyce and pender retired and maybe a few more to go we're going to see a good few new faces next spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

brookville wrote: »
    I think he has a bit to go myself but he has improved,it'll be interesting to see how he goes sunday.con o callaghan beat olg on his own last year but the only thing with the boro is they have more pace in defence,it should be a good match.
    Just looking at things with the county next year especially in the league we'll be without murphy and fennelly,joyce and pender retired and maybe a few more to go we're going to see a good few new faces next spring

Evan cody was very troubled at full back last Sunday, luke scanlon got a goal off him. Matt Ruth had him in huge trouble when matt was switched into full forward on him. Really not at all convinced about calls to see him at full back or anywhere in full back line with Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Evan has been full back for Dicksboro for 3 years. Still hasn't reached his 22nd birthday and still learning the trade of a very specialized position. Has great skill and would in my opinion be excellent further out the field. However great credit is due to one so young to take over a position Dicksboro needed filled. Hopefully he'll have more great days like last Sunday for his club

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

If Evan Cody is left 1 on 1 with Con o Callaghan he will be absolutely destroyed by him. I think Cillian Buckley will drop back and protect him though. I’d Dicksboro play like they did Sunday they have a good chance, but Cuala have inter county quality all over the pitch. Has the makings of a great game.

The best of luck to all our teams involved in the leinster club championship this weekend.

conor05 wrote: »
    If Evan Cody is left 1 on 1 with Con o Callaghan he will be absolutely destroyed by him. I think Cillian Buckley will drop back and protect him though. I’d Dicksboro play like they did Sunday they have a good chance, but Cuala have inter county quality all over the pitch. Has the makings of a great game.

Infairness not many full backs could deal with him last year he has electric pace but buckley will protect him,it definitely has the makings of a good match,I'd give the boro a good chance if they can play to their potential.
    I think delaney is a better prospect at 3 and hopefully his tried next year,we also need to find a few scoring forwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think these are all the National League & Championship 2018 fixtures/dates that could involve KK...

National League:
    NHL Division 1A, Round 1: Cork v KK - Saturday, January 27th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 2: KK v Clare - Sunday, February 4th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 3: Waterford v KK - Sunday, February 18th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 4: KK v Tipperary - Sunday, February 25th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 5: KK v Wexford - Sunday, March 4th

NHL Division 1 Semi-Finals: Sunday, March 11th
    NHL Division 1 Final: Saturday, March 24th

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship:
    Round 1: Dublin v KK - Sunday, May 13th
    Round 2: KK v Offaly - Sunday, May 20th
    Round 3: Galway v KK - Sunday, May 27th
    Round 4: Bye-week
    Round 5: KK v Wexford - Saturday, June 9th
    Leinster Final: Sunday, July 1st 4pm

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship:
    Prelim Quarter-Finals: 3rd place Leinster v Runner-Up Tier 2 - 7th/8th July
    Quarter-Finals: Sunday, July 15th
    Semi-Finals: 28th/29th July
    Final: Sunday 19th August

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

I think these are all the National League & Championship 2018 fixtures/dates that could involve KK...

National League:
    NHL Division 1A, Round 1: Cork v KK - Saturday, January 27th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 2: KK v Clare - Sunday, February 4th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 3: Waterford v KK - Sunday, February 18th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 4: KK v Tipperary - Sunday, February 25th
    NHL Division 1A, Round 5: KK v Wexford - Sunday, March 4th

NHL Division 1 Semi-Finals: Sunday, March 11th
    NHL Division 1 Final: Saturday, March 24th

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship:
    Round 1: Dublin v KK - Sunday, May 13th
    Round 2: KK v Offaly - Sunday, May 20th
    Round 3: Galway v KK - Sunday, May 27th
    Round 4: Bye-week
    Round 5: KK v Wexford - Saturday, June 9th
    Leinster Final: Sunday, July 1st 4pm

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship:
    Prelim Quarter-Finals: 3rd place Leinster v Runner-Up Tier 2 - 7th/8th July
    Quarter-Finals: Sunday, July 15th
    Semi-Finals: 28th/29th July
    Final: Sunday 19th August

What's happened to the NHL quarter finals?

Heavy going the pool thing. Lot of matches one week after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    Jonjo Farrell,Michael Walsh and Ger Aylward dropped from the panel not sure of 4th
    Correct on Farrell and Michael Walsh but not true about Aylward.  He among a large group of players who this week begin training on what you would have to call is a provisional panel. Had a very tough 18months with injury(Cruciate, Hamstring and AC joint) so hopefully can stay fit and get some valuable regular game time.
    Id imagine it will be some very tough training for the next 6/7 weeks to test lads mentally and physically and then there will probably be a cut of lads to make a smaller panel to take us into the Walsh cup and league before panel is reassessed again going into the championship

conor05 wrote: »
    Anyone from James Stephens know the answer to this? Surely if he was injured he would still be down in the dugout with his teammates? Seems odd

He attended most village matches with his parents,I was told he had an injury earlier in the year not sure exactly the injury was,he'd be a loss to the village
    He has issue with hip bone not sitting in the socket. This is now becoming a common theme among GAA players(ie Richie Doyle one example of many) and certainly wont proclaim to be any kind of Doctor but.......general prognosis is that issue often stems from over training in younger years

• Advertisement

FCIM wrote: »
    What's happened to the NHL quarter finals?

According to the Master Fixtures list, there will be no quarter-finals unless 'A.C.' retain them (it's probably obvious who 'A.C.' are, but it's not coming to my mind). In the snapshot below you will see that there are dates set for the quarter-finals if they are retained.

432116.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Ard chomhairle?

Noddy33 wrote: »
    He has issue with hip bone not sitting in the socket. This is now becoming a common theme among GAA players(ie Richie Doyle one example of many) and certainly wont proclaim to be any kind of Doctor but.......general prognosis is that issue often stems from over training in younger years

As you said, hip related injuries are becoming far too common in GAA.

Clare hurler Darach Honan retired last week due to an ongoing hip injury and lays the blame on over-training.

From rte.ie:
    Honan firmly believes the training that he has done over the years caused his injury and he is not the only player to have hip problems on the Clare team. Along with Honan, Conor McGrath, Cian Dillon and Seadna Morey have all had hip surgery in recent years.
    "I put it down to poor load-management and all the training that we were doing. It’s worrying and it is something that needs to be addressed in the GAA.
    "Some of the training regimes are not good for the teams and there has to be more responsibility taken by people in charge."
    Honan's tale is a familiar one as several high-profile GAA stars have had have under gone hip surgeries in recent times, including Cillian Buckley, Karl Lacey, Richie Power, Maurice Shanahan and Darran O'Sullivan.

The amount of hip surgeries that GAA players are having is absolutely bananas. It's really not right :(

Correct on Farrell and Michael Walsh but not true about Aylward.  He among a large group of players who this week begin training on what you would have to call is a provisional panel. Had a very tough 18months with injury(Cruciate, Hamstring and AC joint) so hopefully can stay fit and get some valuable regular game time.
    Id imagine it will be some very tough training for the next 6/7 weeks to test lads mentally and physically and then there will probably be a cut of lads to make a smaller panel to take us into the Walsh cup and league before panel is reassessed again going into the championship

The kilkenny people reporting walsh and farrell probably won't be returning and a panel of 40 has being put together.does anyone know if john power back?i think it's no harm that lads who haven't made it after 4 or 5 years give way to a few younger lads,the panel needed to be freshened up.

The kilkenny people reporting walsh and farrell probably won't be returning and a panel of 40 has being put together.does anyone know if john power back?i think it's no harm that lads who haven't made it after 4 or 5 years give way to a few younger lads,the panel needed to be freshened up.
    First training session tonight of a weekly program which will consist of three sessions per week and the option of a 4th for players who wish do do additional work. Didnt hear anything as regards John Power but I would have thought he will stay with the club for next year and let his form their dictate whether he has the appetite and form for another crack at inter county. In fairness he showed up well in the three knockout games for Carrickshock I witnessed and seemed to be getting his mojo back

ceegee wrote: »
    Ard chomhairle?

Good shout, that's probably it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

First training session tonight of a weekly program which will consist of three sessions per week and the option of a 4th for players who wish do do additional work. Didnt hear anything as regards John Power but I would have thought he will stay with the club for next year and let his form their dictate whether he has the appetite and form for another crack at inter county. In fairness he showed up well in the three knockout games for Carrickshock I witnessed and seemed to be getting his mojo back

That's depressing after a long season. Cody getting soft if he keeping lads like Aylward. That would not have happened years ago.. How are lads like TJ going to face going back tough training now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Any new faces amount the players back training or is it mainly made up of last years panel and the U-21's?

Any new faces amount the players back training or is it mainly made up of last years panel and the U-21's?

Probably a lot of last year's u21s but a friend from mullinavat told me there's a few from there club called in which isn't surprising given the good run they've had,tom alyward and mark mansfield are two he said.there'll probably be a few from callan,ballyragget and the boro added when they finish up with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

That's depressing after a long season. Cody getting soft if he keeping lads like Aylward. That would not have happened years ago.. How are lads like TJ going to face going back tough training now

You obviously don't like Ger Aylward which for the life of me I can't understand. The one year he was free of injury he was one of our best forwards, helped us win an All Ireland and won an All Star for himself. He's only 25, he's coming into his prime now. If he can stay injury free and rediscover his form he would be a huge addition to any panel. On what grounds do you think he deserves to be dropped?

Probably a lot of last year's u21s but a friend from mullinavat told me there's a few from there club called in which isn't surprising given the good run they've had,tom alyward and mark mansfield are two he said.there'll probably be a few from callan,ballyragget and the boro added when they finish up with the club.
    That correct from what I believe there was close to 55 included in this provisional panel which preparations last night and that number not including the Boro contingent(Buckley, Walsh and Cody) plus anymore Boro players that may be added. 
    Im open to correction but I believe that Mullinavat have 5 players added, Ballyragget have 4, along with few from Callan. Some of the other clubs represented included Mossy Keoghan and Tommy Walsh from Tullaroan, Prenderville from Ballycallan and Farrell from Carrickshock. 
    I wouldnt be reading to much to into who involved currently when working off such a large core group but lads will surely have a few weeks of heavy physical training to impress

• Advertisement

You obviously don't like Ger Aylward which for the life of me I can't understand. The one year he was free of injury he was one of our best forwards, helped us win an All Ireland and won an All Star for himself. He's only 25, he's coming into his prime now. If he can stay injury free and rediscover his form he would be a huge addition to any panel. On what grounds do you think he deserves to be dropped?

I think that was a bit harsh on alyward,he was unlucky to drive all those wides in wexford,he struggled a bit after that,I'd definitely be trying to get him right with injuries before id be discarding him,he shouldn't of hurled for his club later in the year his shoulder needed to be sorted so hopefully he can get things sorted over the next few months,we need him back to his 15 form next year.The walsh cup starting next month and the league at the end of january so we won't feel the few months going around.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/279773/kilkenny-hurling-panel-expect-big-changes-for-2018.html
    Intresting ger malone called in and michael wasn't called in again,I thought he had a good year and has improved,it's great to see john walsh in he has huge abality,he needs to fill out a bit but he can score.

Give them a chance no point in sticking the boot in yet the commitment is getting unreal the 2nd of November back all ready the best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

That correct from what I believe there was close to 55 included in this provisional panel which preparations last night and that number not including the Boro contingent(Buckley, Walsh and Cody) plus anymore Boro players that may be added. 
    Im open to correction but I believe that Mullinavat have 5 players added, Ballyragget have 4, along with few from Callan. Some of the other clubs represented included Mossy Keoghan and Tommy Walsh from Tullaroan, Prenderville from Ballycallan and Farrell from Carrickshock. 
    I wouldnt be reading to much to into who involved currently when working off such a large core group but lads will surely have a few weeks of heavy physical training to impress
    How could someone impress hurling wise during heavy physical training?

I like the look of Tom Alyward, I think he could be worth a look at fullback, may be a little suspect pace wise but definitely worth a try!! Personally for the Walsh cup I'd like to see him tried or Conor Delaney tried at full back. Once the boro's year is over I'd like to see Conor Doheny and Robbie Fitzpatrick get a run, I think they're 2 really good options for corner back where I think we will need some new faces especially without Murphy for the league. I'd wonder will Eoin Murphy get a run outfield at some stage next year, he had another good year with Glenmore in the forwards and it's an area where we may lack a bit of leadership and experience and in the likes of Darren Brennan we have just as good a goalie in his place!

I like the look of Tom Alyward, I think he could be worth a look at fullback, may be a little suspect pace wise but definitely worth a try!! Personally for the Walsh cup I'd like to see him tried or Conor Delaney tried at full back. Once the boro's year is over I'd like to see Conor Doheny and Robbie Fitzpatrick get a run, I think they're 2 really good options for corner back where I think we will need some new faces especially without Murphy for the league. I'd wonder will Eoin Murphy get a run outfield at some stage next year, he had another good year with Glenmore in the forwards and it's an area where we may lack a bit of leadership and experience and in the likes of Darren Brennan we have just as good a goalie in his place!

I agree with most of this while I'd be given darren brennan walsh cup and league gametime I'd prefer to leave murphy in goal although he has being good the last few years outfield for glenmore.Tom alyward is a very decent full back and strong but he does lack pace but certainly worth a run early next year,robbie fitz done a good job on larkin last weekend and has benefited from his move out the field.Has darren mullen being called in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Tom Alward is a quality full back for club and deserves his chance. I agree might lack the pace when it comes to Croke park in the summer. I would have him over Joey Holden every day..
    Born have a good athetic 15 that we didn't have. I'll hold judgement until after Sunday's game in Parnell

Best of luck to the three KK clubs this weekend

AIB Leinster Club Junior Championship
    Semi-Final, Saturday November 4th, 2pm, St. Lomans
    Fr. Daltons (WH) v John Lockes

AIB Leinster Club Intermediate Championship
    Quarter-Final, Saturday November 4th, 2pm, St Conleths, Newbridge
    Ardclough (KE) v St Patricks, Ballyraggett

AIB Leinster Club Senior Championship
    Quarter-Final, Sunday November 5th, 2pm, Parnell Park (Live on TG4)
    Cuala (DB) v Dicksboro

All three KK teams are the away team.

I agree with most of this while I'd be given darren brennan walsh cup and league gametime I'd prefer to leave murphy in goal although he has being good the last few years outfield for glenmore.Tom alyward is a very decent full back and strong but he does lack pace but certainly worth a run early next year,robbie fitz done a good job on larkin last weekend and has benefited from his move out the field.Has darren mullen being called in?

Haven't heard if Mullen has been called in but he's U-21 again in 2018 so I'd imagine he won't be too far away from the panel and would imagine the seniors and U-21's would be doing a lot of training together this time of the year. On paper we have a very strong U-21 team again this year so hopefully we can go one better than last year.

With all the players we'll be missing during the league this year there's going to a lot of new faces getting league action hopefully they will take there chance and we'll be going into the championship with a better panel than we had this year!!

kk1970 wrote: »

Ehhhhh obviously perform well during physical training sessions and demonstrate that their physique and fitness condition is up to senior Inter County standards perhaps..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Cork man here, but very interesting piece on Ear to the Ground last night on John Power. They were celebrating 25 years of the show or something and had a piece they did with him back in 93 and then an updated piece with him on the farm and his 2 brothers. Well worth catching online if you didn't see it. He was a beast of a centre forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

eigrod wrote: »
    He was a beast of a centre forward.
    Does all his beasting on the sideline now, eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

citykat wrote: »

They showed him doing some coaching with a juvenile team too. Has he a reputation on the sideline ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »

They showed him doing some coaching with a juvenile team too. Has he a reputation on the sideline ?
    You could say that yeah...

My way only is his attitude .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

PeterCasey wrote: »
    My way only is his attitude .

The Lockes did very well to win a junior championship this year with a good young team that shows lots of promise.
    They would do well to forget about this genius. They had a very good u14 team this year. Three of their games were abandoned and the b championship has taken five months to play because of his antics.
    The county board has rightly hammered the club (and himself) for his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Ehhhhh obviously perform well during physical training sessions and demonstrate that their physique and fitness condition is up to senior Inter County standards perhaps..........
    Anyone that was called in should be fairly fit after playing with their clubs all year anyway and I understand you have to be at a certain level, but you can be as fit and big and strong as you like , that doesn't mean you can hurl inter County level.

Best of luck to the three KK clubs this weekend

AIB Leinster Club Junior Championship
    Semi-Final, Saturday November 4th, 2pm, St. Lomans
    Fr. Daltons (WH) v John Lockes

AIB Leinster Club Intermediate Championship
    Quarter-Final, Saturday November 4th, 2pm, St Conleths, Newbridge
    Ardclough (KE) v St Patricks, Ballyraggett

AIB Leinster Club Senior Championship
    Quarter-Final, Sunday November 5th, 2pm, Parnell Park (Live on TG4)
    Cuala (DB) v Dicksboro

All three KK teams are the away team.

You'd imagine both callan and ballyragget should go on a good run like most kk teams in that grade.If the boro can get over tomorrow they'll have a good chance of winning leinster

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You'd imagine both callan and ballyragget should go on a good run like most kk teams in that grade.If the boro can get over tomorrow they'll have a good chance of winning leinster

Whoever wins tomorrow plays Martins from Wexford. Very, very tough half of the draw

• Advertisement

Anyone that was called in should be fairly fit after playing with their clubs all year anyway and I understand you have to be at a certain level, but you can be as fit and big and strong as you like , that doesn't mean you can hurl inter County level.

Of course being in great shape physically doesn't for one second gurantee the makings of a senior inter county hurler and I never said anything along that lines. You quierried my comment that lads will have the new few weeks to impress in the physical training and as to how they can do this.......any county team back training at this stage it I'll be predominantly tough physical training wit some ball work but very little 15 v 15 training matches

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement