Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

O'Neills launched the new jersey today.

Not sure about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭big_drive

New Jersey is a bit so so....
    not terrible but something just off about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think it's not to bad,ballyragget starting to pull away abit now after a tough 1st half half,kelly hit the post with a penalty I'd say they'll be happy to get out today with a win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

brookville wrote: »
    I think it's not to bad,ballyragget starting to pull away abit now after a tough 1st half half,kelly hit the post with a penalty I'd say they'll be happy to get out today with a win

Ballyragget through in the end fairly comfortably as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Walk in the park for Callan in Mullingar.

Ryan Bergin was carried off injured though, hopefully won't be out for too long.

Well done to both teams today,hopefully the boro can do it tomorrow.
    Anyone at any of the u21 matches today?great result for dunnamaggin beating thomastown after their minor b let week itll soften the blow of the intermediates being relegated this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Was at Martins and emeralds

Total mismatch Martins way too strong

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

New jersey is horrible and disgraceful too. A complete depart from the traditional stripes. I know recent jerseys have perhaps challenged the stripes but this actually breaks them. It'd nearly make me want to see us not win the All Ireland so this debacle can be quickly forgotten about.

• Advertisement

What are people's thoughts on the boro match,I know it'll be extremely tough but I'd I've them a good chance,it'll be a great test and a great opportunity for lads to stake a claim for senior selection.If the defence can tighten up a bit they've a great chance.I wonder will they man mark con o callaghan?andy gaffney has recovered from injury so he should be a help while there's doubts over mark schutte who'd be a big loss if his not available.I'm looking forward to it hopefully it'll be a good one best of luck to all involved

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

FCIM wrote: »
    New jersey is horrible and disgraceful too. A complete depart from the traditional stripes. I know recent jerseys have perhaps challenged the stripes but this actually breaks them. It'd nearly make me want to see us not win the All Ireland so this debacle can be quickly forgotten about.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

What are people's thoughts on the boro match,I know it'll be extremely tough but I'd I've them a good chance,it'll be a great test and a great opportunity for lads to stake a claim for senior selection.If the defence can tighten up a bit they've a great chance.I wonder will they man mark con o callaghan?andy gaffney has recovered from injury so he should be a help while there's doubts over mark schutte who'd be a big loss if his not available.I'm looking forward to it hopefully it'll be a good one best of luck to all involved

Cuala reigning champs but may be tired. 'Boro at 9/4 a goodish bet. When was the last time KK champs were such long odds v. Dublin champs...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

You'd want get a grip of yourself like a good man, KK's answer to Buff Egan :D

danganabu wrote: »

I think people are a bit dramatic with the new jersey to be honest,I didn't see anything wrong with the old one but I don't see the big deal with the new one.

I think the new jersey is horrible and looks like a training top but I'd still like us to win if that's OK. We won't win, like, but I don't think it'll be the jerseys fault.

It's rank though. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's grand, kk jerseys always look pretty much the same. Hoping we don't win the all Ireland because you don't like the jersey, I mean ffs.

Very excited to see if the boro can upset the odds tomorrow, it's a big opportunity against a team that has huge expectations on their shoulders and lots of miles on the clock. I'd be very worried about the propensity to leak goals going on last week and knowing how strong the cuala forwards are. But fcuk it, a good fast skillful side like the boro have no reason to fear anyone, and we have plenty of scoring threats of our own.

As a Realt dearg man as well as a boro man I'd be absolutely delighted to see them beat cuala. And if they do, the sky is the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I see in the camogie all stars Cork got 8 and Kilkenny got 4, I'm usually uncomfortable with criticising all star teams because no doubt each player selected deserves to be recognised for how well they have played, but that doesnt seem a fair representation of the season and the all ireland final where for me Kilkenny looked the better team and mainly lost due to poor tactics when they had the wind in the first half.

Im not trying to take from Corks win because they did well to dig deep and grab the win in the end, their experience and strength of character was really evident in the last 5 minutes.

It's grand, kk jerseys always look pretty much the same. Hoping we don't win the all Ireland because you don't like the jersey, I mean ffs.

Very excited to see if the boro can upset the odds tomorrow, it's a big opportunity against a team that has huge expectations on their shoulders and lots of miles on the clock. I'd be very worried about the propensity to leak goals going on last week and knowing how strong the cuala forwards are. But fcuk it, a good fast skillful side like the boro have no reason to fear anyone, and we have plenty of scoring threats of our own.

As a Realt dearg man as well as a boro man I'd be absolutely delighted to see them beat cuala. And if they do, the sky is the limit.

The boro are better equipped to give cuala a better game than olg last year,there's more pace in defence and they have a better spread of forwards,they were leaky in the county final but were tight up to that,kenny is a shrewd manager I'm sure they'll try isolate the boro full back line but it'll be a great test for doheny and cody up against inter county fowards

Would love to see Evan Cody have a really good game tomorrow and make a statement for himself on a big stage. If the boro can continue launching ball of the quality they did last week and making similar opportunities up front with it, I think they're in with a serious shout. What's the weather to be like? If it's dry and calm it could be another very high scoring game. Think it'll be an entertaining one anyway. (Just delighted to be able to watch them abroad tbh)

• Advertisement

Not meaning any offence to other clubs, the Boro are definitely, in my opinion, the best championship winning side since 2014 and arguably since 2009 in Kilkenny so they have a massive chance. They conceded four goals which everyone will point to against the Village but their defence has been pretty solid all year other than that. The one thing is it's in Parnell Park and that makes me think Cuala will get over the line. Cuala are strong all around the field and up in Dublin will have the crowd and the knowledge of the field. If it were down in Kilkenny, I would say Dicksboro but up there I'm going with Cuala. If the Boro pull it off I think they'll take some stopping before St. Patrick's Day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I'm afraid their could be a big reality check coming tomorrow about where kk hurling is..
    we were beating these teams in second gear for years. \
    \
    \
    \ slide

danganabu wrote: »

Whatever about Don Egan, I'm a pure traditionalist when it comes to jerseys. Hate changes to tradition. Stripes have served us well. I would love to see us win the All Ireland this year and wouldn't take it to the extreme of not supporting the team because the jersey's crap, but I do wonder how it would look in twenty years alongside stripy jerseys and a photo with shirts that look like an inkwell was fired at them.

I'm afraid their could be a big reality check coming tomorrow about where kk hurling is..
    \
    \
    \ slide

Don't agree. Kilkenny clubs weren't walking anything before and the Shamrocks did exceptionally well in a few years. Equally, O'Loughlins really struggled against Cuala last year but, not taking anything away from them, last year's county final was poor and the star players were ageing. I think the Boro have a really good team that could go on to win a lot over the next few years and could provide the backbone of Kilkenny teams for the foreseeable future and I don't see any reason they can't trouble Cuala. The fact it is an away match is where I see the difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

\
    \
    \ slide

By "these teams" do you mean the reigning all ireland club champions? You must be pretty young if you dont remember how hard Kilkenny teams had it against the likes of Birr over the years, often found it pretty hard to beat the laois champions in the fairly recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

birr were one of the greatest club teams ever.
    I'm talking about since them.in that period of club hurling glenmore.ballycallan.
    village (2)olough (2)shamrock(5or6)just went and won them .the reality is the Boro had 3.10 got by 23min and finished with 4.15.while conceded 4 goals.
    club hurling in Kilkenny is waiting for the next generation to step up.if the Boro young lads were the start of it great.but it has been poor fair all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Up to the county final, the Boro were conceding 1 goal/game. Their defence was solid all year. The final was really an outlier. Dowling referred to the goals conceded in his post match interview. I'd imagine they looked at it in training this week and will be less porous today.

We all know our junior and intermediate hurling is of a high quality with the junior and intermediate teams usually reaching the final.
    I know the senior has being reliant on ballyhale the last few years and maybe in the mid noughties we had the village and olg competing for the all ireland but hopefully the boro can give a good account today because there young and should be full of confidence being unbeaten all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Having watched both county finals I think Dicksboro are good value at 9/4. Dublin final was pretty physical between two teams that do not like one another, and wind was big factor. Cuala are missing Mark Schutte and thought Callaghan didn't look as sharp as normal after spending year with football. Should be interesting game, and low scoring I think as both will be cagey and Cuala played sweeper in Dublin final.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Having watched both county finals I think Dicksboro are good value at 9/4. Dublin final was pretty physical between two teams that do not like one another, and wind was big factor. Cuala are missing Mark Schutte and thought Callaghan didn't look as sharp as normal after spending year with football. Should be interesting game, and low scoring I think as both will be cagey and Cuala played sweeper in Dublin final.

Schutte will be a huge loss if he doesn't play but they still have treacy,cronin and of course o callaghan,there's talk that cuala aren't as good as they were but with the experience they have and playing at home it'll be very tough but if the boro get a good start they'll fancy their chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

blackwave wrote: »

Was the star of ‘the video’ on the team?

Schutte will be a huge loss if he doesn't play but they still have treacy,cronin and of course o callaghan,there's talk that cuala aren't as good as they were but with the experience they have and playing at home it'll be very tough but if the boro get a good start they'll fancy their chances

Hard I suppose to judge both finals against one another given the gale that was in Parnell and pretty negative tactics on both sides, compared to a very enjoyable open game in Kilkenny. Won't be open today although nice day for it and wind won't be a factor. Word still is that Mark Schutte is out.

Hopefully they don't play a sweeper. Boro dropped a man back for a lot of the second half last week as well. Great potential in the match today if both teams are playing positive hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

King Con has Evan Cody in huge trouble already.

I'd love nothing more for Con O'Callaghan to lose his place in the Dublin football side.

Only reason is because he's such a good hurler. Reminds me so much of Joe Canning in his younger years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Faugheen wrote: »
    I'd love nothing more for Con O'Callaghan to lose his place in the Dublin football side.

Only reason is because he's such a good hurler. Reminds me so much of Joe Canning in his younger years.

Destroying Cody and Buckley together

Cody so far....

Has to come meet Callaghan there instead of sitting on the edge of the square

Now Buckley is on Con and he manages to find a way to lose him. Ridiculous talent

Tell you what though, Martin Gaffney is hurling well for the Boro

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Ref riding the boro here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

I would have to say Cuala look fitter and faster and tighter stick work in some areas, but the ref is quick to blow the whistle for some of the Cuala frees. Not so fast for Dicksboro frees.
    If Dicksboro can manufacture a goal they can get back into this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

There have been some fair dodgy decisions here from the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

There have been some fair dodgy decisions here from the ref.

The crowd booing the ref coming off the pitch tells you how bad of a game he is having.
    It’s like he has mind made up to award Cuala the handy frees and screw Dicksboro.

Both teams have a Shane Stapleton and an Oisín Gough! That must be pretty unique.

Con makes Buckley look very slow. Can't handle him at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Huge gulf in class between the teams.

All over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Village87 wrote: »
    Con makes Buckley look very slow. Can't handle him at all

Con makes everyone look slow, including the entire Mayo full back and half back lines....287 of whom just won All Stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

blackwave wrote: »

Another happy ending for Ballyragget so..............

The Kilkenny Oisin Gough looks good. He could improve with a bit of Senior training behind him. Good wrists.

Begs the question if Dublin hurling team could get a forward line of Ciaran Kilkenny, D Connolly, Mark Schutte, D Sutcliffe, Con o Callaghan, Cormac Costello. They would be serious all Ireland contenders.

Buckley is probably Kilkennys best hurler and he got destroyed in all departments by o Callaghan today

Village87 wrote: »
    The Kilkenny Oisin Gough looks good. He could improve with a bit of Senior training behind him. Good wrists.

Begs the question if Dublin hurling team could get a forward line of Ciaran Kilkenny, D Connolly, Mark Schutte, D Sutcliffe, Con o Callaghan, Cormac Costello. They would be serious all Ireland contenders.

Buckley is probably Kilkennys best hurler and he got destroyed in all departments by o Callaghan today

I thought the kerry man o connell got on a lot of ball but callaghan the main difference today he has so much pace he'll cause any team trouble especially at club level.
    Cuala fully deserving winners but I expected a better showing and moving buckley back didn't help although the boro had no1 else to mark him.Cuala are the benchmark and the boro are young hopefully they can learn from this,another early exit for kilkenny senior club is dissapointing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement