Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

O callaghan is top class. Must be horrible to defend against when he gets the ball and you know he's going to run straight at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Village87 wrote: »
    The Kilkenny Oisin Gough looks good. He could improve with a bit of Senior training behind him. Good wrists.

Begs the question if Dublin hurling team could get a forward line of Ciaran Kilkenny, D Connolly, Mark Schutte, D Sutcliffe, Con o Callaghan, Cormac Costello. They would be serious all Ireland contenders.

Buckley is probably Kilkennys best hurler and he got destroyed in all departments by o Callaghan today

Football always going to be our downfall. Always said that until Dublin club hurling improved county team was going to be second rate. Cuala have set the bar and SHC was great contest so hopefully. Gilroy might put manners on some of them!

Chap of 87 who is Dicksboro lives down road from me so we shall have a good talk tomorrow! Not sure whether he got over to the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

O callaghan is top class. Must be horrible to defend against when he gets the ball and you know he's going to run straight at you.

Con would trouble any full back in ireland club or county. Must be frustrating for Pat Gilroy knowing he won’t get access to him or other dual players.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Dicksboro keeping up the ongoing trend of Kilkenny Senior champs being dumped out of Leinster championship. We are in a very bad place. Hasn't been this bleak since mid nineties.
    When was the last time a Kilkenny player has won young player of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Dicksboro keeping up the ongoing trend of Kilkenny Senior champs being dumped out of Leinster championship. We are in a very bad place. Hasn't been this bleak since mid nineties.
    When was the last time a Kilkenny player has won young player of the year?

Cha won in 2006 and Noel Hickey in 2000.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Cha won in 2006 and Noel Hickey in 2000.

Its been over 10 years since a kk player won young player of year. That's shocking

Its been over 10 years since a kk player won young player of year. That's shocking

Well you have to take the fact that we probably had the best ever team from 2006 to 2010 which didnt really have any under 21s who were nailed on regulars on the senior team, that stopped the likes of Richie and Tj from winning it. We have only won 2 in total in the 22 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

It's not shocking at all. In fact, it's no great barometer of All Ireland or individual future success. Kilkenny have won 10 of the last 17 senior hurlers of the year. And obviously, confirmed via your comment above, they achieved that without any one of those 10 players winning young hurler of the year.

Winning young hurler of the year is a fantastic achievement, but not winning it rules you out of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It's not really its evidence that it was etremely hard to break into the KK senior team without serving your aprentiship in the panel.

Your clutching at straws if thats the stat that you are using to depict the demise of KK.

They have been in 4 of the last 10 Minor Al finals which is the joint best record with Tipp for teams who have to come through a provincial championship and KK schools have had a great record in the same period.

• Advertisement

I agree with all ye responses. It was extremely hard for u21 players to break onto that team. However, when was the last underage Kilkenny player that everyone was really excited about. TJ and R. Hogan were the last two in my opinion. Tipp on the other hand have had John McGrath, John o Dwyer and there is another promising McGrath on the way. All players in the attacking half. Galway have Jack Canning coming through who looks the real deal. WHO DO WE HAVE.

I agree with all ye responses. It was extremely hard for u21 players to break onto that team. However, when was the last underage Kilkenny player that everyone was really excited about. TJ and R. Hogan were the last two in my opinion. Tipp on the other hand have had John McGrath, John o Dwyer and there is another promising McGrath on the way. All players in the attacking half. Galway have Jack Canning coming through who looks the real deal. WHO DO WE HAVE.

Richie Leahey will establish himself this year and I would expect big things from Adrian Mullen over the next few years, there was a Ryan chap in the fullforward line for the minors two years ago who looked really good.

PS Brian McGrath is a back and imo will struggle at the top level, too slow unfortuantely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

While you do have valid points it's being a while since we produced a youngster with that x factor adrian mullen is probably the most recent putting up big scores during the year while getting 1-2 and 1-3 from play for ballyhale is good going for any 17 year old but he needs time,dj should bring him on next year.Richie leahy was a brilliant minor 2 years ago,brassil and mikey carey were good this year.lads like john walsh and bolger are exciting players while billy ryan can be hot and cold i think his brother sean who was minor this year will be a better hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

brookville wrote: »
    While you do have valid points it's being a while since we produced a youngster with that x factor adrian mullen is probably the most recent putting up big scores during the year while getting 1-2 and 1-3 from play for ballyhale is good going for any 17 year old but he needs time,dj should bring him on next year.Richie leahy was a brilliant minor 2 years ago,brassil and mikey carey were good this year.lads like john walsh and bolger are exciting players while billy ryan can be hot and cold i think his brother sean who was minor this year will be a better hurler

Ciaran brennan will be a serious young talent if he doesnt chose soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Con makes everyone look slow, including the entire Mayo full back and half back lines....287 of whom just won All Stars.

Not really true as his worst game was the All Ireland final where Mayo coped very well with all of the Dublin attack. Mayos defenders deserved every one of those all stars. Aidan O Shea was their lucky one imo with Tom Parsons extremely unlucky. If Ciaran Kilkenny had gotten injured at the same time as Jack McCaffrey he would have gotten an all star too.
    Anyhow, this hasn't much to do with Kilkenny, and is probably the only football talked in here ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This hype about Mullen. I'm not going to slag a young lad but everyone needs to dial it back in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Grueller wrote: »
    Not really true as his worst game was the All Ireland final where Mayo coped very well with all of the Dublin attack. Mayos defenders deserved every one of those all stars. Aidan O Shea was their lucky one imo with Tom Parsons extremely unlucky. If Ciaran Kilkenny had gotten injured at the same time as Jack McCaffrey he would have gotten an all star too.
    Anyhow, this hasn't much to do with Kilkenny, and is probably the only football talked in here ever.

All of them? Yeah, they covered themselves in glory alright, when he carved them open to score a goal after two minutes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All of them? Yeah, they covered themselves in glory alright, when he carved them open to score a goal after two minutes. :rolleyes:
    Wut is dis futbal uf wich u speeck?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Bkd ballyragret at 9/2 on friday for intermediate all ireland.great bet imo.kiltale will be opposition in leinster.still great price given our recird in the comp over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

And for the next 72 odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I'm afraid their could be a big reality check coming tomorrow about where kk hurling is..
    we were beating these teams in second gear for years. \
    \
    \
    \ slide

beat Wextford in the round robin and dublin .and get ready for a 1/4 final .I'm afraid relegation in the league. other than those already involved with kilk Boro nothing to offer. this is our realistic future now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Ref riding the boro here
    Lost count of how many times C Doheny was fouled with the hurl around the neck in the second half by the same player.The Boro have to be terrible disappointed with yesterday Cuala two goals came from bad defending shocking would put it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Any news on Michael Fennelly, retired , dropped or still on the panel ? 33 in January, and poor club form i think maybe its time to get someone else in midfield to get a chance

Any news on Michael Fennelly, retired , dropped or still on the panel ? 33 in January, and poor club form i think maybe its time to get someone else in midfield to get a chance

Bit hasty to drop from the panel based on club games and form, his days as a midfielder who gets up and down the pitch are over but I think he still could be effective in certain situations and could do a job in the half forward line depending on the type of game.

He has a lot of leadership qualities in a team that now doesnt have a lot of natural leaders, some of the senior players seem a bit more laid back than the main lads on the teams we had since 2000, also his job makes him more likely to remain on a panel even if he is not getting much game time. I dont think we can expect too much from him given his injuries but if he wants to be there I think the selectors will be anxious to keep him involved.

Bit hasty to drop from the panel based on club games and form, his days as a midfielder who gets up and down the pitch are over but I think he still could be effective in certain situations and could do a job in the half forward line depending on the type of game.

He has a lot of leadership qualities in a team that now doesnt have a lot of natural leaders, some of the senior players seem a bit more laid back than the main lads on the teams we had since 2000, also his job makes him more likely to remain on a panel even if he is not getting much game time. I dont think we can expect too much from him given his injuries but if he wants to be there I think the selectors will be anxious to keep him involved.

Yeah agree, if KK are going through transition and will be introducing new players to the panel, which I think everyone agrees needs to be done, then who better to mentor them than the bast midfielder of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Bkd ballyragret at 9/2 on friday for intermediate all ireland.great bet imo.kiltale will be opposition in leinster.still great price given our recird in the comp over the last few years.

kanturk with Nash and Walsh's and kilmaley big danger

danganabu wrote: »
    Yeah agree, if KK are going through transition and will be introducing new players to the panel, which I think everyone agrees needs to be done, then who better to mentor them than the bast midfielder of his generation.

Fair point, but why is he getting that option over players like Jackie Tyrell & Michael Rice were told to retire or be dropped ?

And for the next 72 odd?

He scored 1-1 in a game that Dublin won by a single point. So you can't really dismiss him, or say that Mayo coped "very well" with "all of Dublins attacks." If they did, they would have won the All Ireland. They didn't.

Con is a dual player and has played several very high profile games in both codes. His skill set is not restricted to either one, so talk of his attributes will cross over into either code occasionally. I don't think the purity of the KK thread will be overly besmirched, or too many KK heads will explode if it happens the odd time.

(Except for Realt obviously. His head is loooooong gone. :p )

He scored 1-1 in a game that Dublin won by a single point. So you can't really dismiss him, or say that Mayo coped "very well" with "all of Dublins attacks." If they did, they would have won the All Ireland. They didn't.

Con is a dual player and has played several very high profile games in both codes. His skill set is not restricted to either one, so talk of his attributes will cross over into either code occasionally. I don't think the purity of the KK thread will be overly besmirched, or too many KK heads will explode if it happens the odd time.

(Except for Realt obviously. His head is loooooong gone. :p )

Lucky for Kilkenny u21's that Con O Callaghan wasnt let play u21 this year for Dublin. Kilkenny probably would have lost to Dublin in that game if he was

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's a huge shame we'll probably never see him play hurling. Genuinely is up there among the cream of the crop from what I've seen. Yes it's hard to gauge how good a player is until he plays inter-county but he made Buckley look run-of-the-mill, and it's hard to find a better barometer in terms of a man-marker.

Lucky for Kilkenny u21's that Con O Callaghan wasnt let play u21 this year for Dublin. Kilkenny probably would have lost to Dublin in that game if he was

Wouldn't argue with you there. I was at that u21 game.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't argue with you there. I was at that u21 game.

As was i, O'Callaghan would have brought some leadership & confidence to the Dublin team lacking belief, they had as much possession that day as Kilkenny except they hit a lot of wides, Burke could have played in the corner as Kilkenny were weak there and could have cleaned out the Kilkenny fullback line as he had Delaney in all sorts of trouble, O Callgahan could easily have finished up with 2-2 or 2-3 against that Kilkenny defence, he had a hand in easily 2-6 or 2-7 yesterday and that standard is higher that that of u21.

, he had a hand in easily 2-6 or 2-7 yesterday and that standard is higher that that of u21.

Ummm don't think I would agree with that now. A top intercounty U21 team will always beat a top club team imo.

danganabu wrote: »
    Ummm don't think I would agree with that now. A top intercounty U21 team will always beat a top club team imo.

Id rate teams who win All Ireland clubs higher than an u21 team. Samrocks won a few all ireland senior in there pomp and would usually beat the Kilkenny u21 team without there full team

Id rate teams who win All Ireland clubs higher than an u21 team. Samrocks won a few all ireland senior in there pomp and would usually beat the Kilkenny u21 team without there full team

I wouldn't have seen any club team beating the recent Clare team or the Limerick three in a row team or say the Tipp team of 2010. Interesting debate though!

Fair point, but why is he getting that option over players like Jackie Tyrell & Michael Rice were told to retire or be dropped ?

Michael Rice was an excellent player for Kilkenny but was never the dominant player Fennelly was, id imagine the feeling was that Jackie Tyrell legs were gone at intercounty level and unlike Fennelly you cant really stick him in at a centre forward or full forward to cause some trouble with his size and strength and reasonably good scoring ability. So two valid reasons in my opinion for Michael to stay on longer than the two players you have mentioned.

Id say possible rather than probable, its hard to think that this year could possibly have been more dissapointing. If you going to include Con and level of fitness and movement he has developed playing football with Dublin you would also need to include Darragh Joyce who obviously isnt as good as Con but looked pretty decent in the county championship last year and from what I hear has seriously bulked up over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

What are you talking about Rice was dropped off the panel after the league 2016 with Brian Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Paul Murphy
    3 Joey Holden
    4 Joe Lyng
    5 Padraig walsh
    6 Cillian Buckley
    7 Jason Cleere
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Paddy Deegan
    10 Walsh Walsh
    11 TJ Reid
    12 Richie leahy
    13 Billy Ryan
    14 Colin Fennelly
    15 Richie hogan
    16 Michael Fennelly
    17 Darren Mullen
    18 Conor Delaney
    19 John Donnelly
    20 James Maher
    21 Sean Morrissey
    22 Michael Aylward
    23 Tommy Walsh
    24 Simon Aylward
    25 Luke Scanlon
    26 Pat Lyng
    27 Michael Cody
    28 Alan Murphy
    29 Shane Walsh
    30 Oisin Hough
    31 Eoin Hough
    32 Martin Gaffney
    33 Bill Sheet an
    34 Michael Mansfield
    35 Michael Malone
    36 Chris Bolger
    37 Lester Ryan
    38 Joe Cuddihy
    39 Ronan Corcoran
    40 Kevin Kelly
    41 Ollie Walsh
    42 Mark Bergin
    43 Richie Reid
    44 Conor O shea
    45 Conor Martin

Panel for 2018 on no particular order.
    Who else could we possibly and reasonably expect to be part of the initial panel from this week on. No point in looking at 17 or 18 year old as I dont think they will be considered.

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Paul Murphy
    3 Joey Holden
    4 Joe Lyng
    5 Padraig walsh
    6 Cillian Buckley
    7 Jason Cleere
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Paddy Deegan
    10 Walsh Walsh
    11 TJ Reid
    12 Richie leahy
    13 Billy Ryan
    14 Colin Fennelly
    15 Richie hogan
    16 Michael Fennelly
    17 Darren Mullen
    18 Conor Delaney
    19 John Donnelly
    20 James Maher
    21 Sean Morrissey
    22 Michael Aylward
    23 Tommy Walsh
    24 Simon Aylward
    25 Luke Scanlon
    26 Pat Lyng
    27 Michael Cody
    28 Alan Murphy
    29 Shane Walsh
    30 Oisin Hough
    31 Eoin Hough
    32 Martin Gaffney
    33 Bill Sheet an
    34 Michael Mansfield
    35 Michael Malone
    36 Chris Bolger
    37 Lester Ryan
    38 Joe Cuddihy
    39 Ronan Corcoran
    40 Kevin Kelly
    41 Ollie Walsh
    42 Mark Bergin
    43 Richie Reid
    44 Conor O shea
    45 Conor Martin

Who else could we possibly and reasonably expect to be part of the initial panel from this week on. No point in looking at 17 or 18 year old as I dont think they will be considered.

Is that the actual training panel mentioned in the Kilkenny people last week?

• Advertisement

No its not but I presume all above or something like it will be around

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Paul Murphy
    3 Joey Holden
    4 Joe Lyng
    5 Padraig walsh
    6 Cillian Buckley
    7 Jason Cleere
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Paddy Deegan
    10 Walsh Walsh
    11 TJ Reid
    12 Richie leahy
    13 Billy Ryan
    14 Colin Fennelly
    15 Richie hogan
    16 Michael Fennelly
    17 Darren Mullen
    18 Conor Delaney
    19 John Donnelly
    20 James Maher
    21 Sean Morrissey
    22 Michael Aylward
    23 Tommy Walsh
    24 Simon Aylward
    25 Luke Scanlon
    26 Pat Lyng
    27 Michael Cody
    28 Alan Murphy
    29 Shane Walsh
    30 Oisin Hough
    31 Eoin Hough
    32 Martin Gaffney
    33 Bill Sheet an
    34 Michael Mansfield
    35 Michael Malone
    36 Chris Bolger
    37 Lester Ryan
    38 Joe Cuddihy
    39 Ronan Corcoran
    40 Kevin Kelly
    41 Ollie Walsh
    42 Mark Bergin
    43 Richie Reid
    44 Conor O shea
    45 Conor Martin

Liam Blanchfield, Ger Aylward, Conor Doheny, Robert Lennon will be on the training panel at least id imagine

Liam Blanchfield, Ger Aylward, Conor Doheny, Robert Lennon will be on the training panel at least id imagine

Sorry.A few typos there.

Ger malone included too afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Sorry.A few typos there.

Ger malone included too afaik

2018 will be a difficult year I think... We're right in the throes of rebuilding. All players mentioned are good at club level but we've got to be patient here. Inter county will be a step too far for so many mentioned above. Huge gulf between Dublin's best club side and our best yesterday.... Our legends will never be replaced and ordinary is where we are now but whenever it is we'll enjoy the next All Ireland!! We were spoilt

Think there is 60 in there in total. Hopefully some of the leaders in there can improve on last year, Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty especially, more needed from Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly and Padraig Walsh, if these lads can start dominating younger players around them will come on for it

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Cathal McGrath from Callan is in the squad too I understand.

• Advertisement

Are Kilkenny allowed collective training in late October/early November.. Or are they allowed back training early as they were elimated in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are Kilkenny allowed collective training in late October/early November.. Or are they allowed back training early as they were elimated in July

The following is from this Irish Times article (published December 2nd, 2016):
    Exit June: Commence Training November 15th.
    Exit July/All-Ireland Quarter-Finals: Commence Training December 1st.
    Exit August/All-Ireland Semi-Finals: Commence Training December 8th.
    Exit September (excluding All-Ireland Semi-Finals): Commence Training December 9th.

So that would mean that KK are not allowed to resume collective training until December 1st... unless the rules were changed this year? :confused:

The following is from this Irish Times article (published December 2nd, 2016):

So that would mean that KK are not allowed to resume collective training until December 1st... unless the rules were changed this year? :confused:

Great stuff thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Paul Murphy
    3 Joey Holden
    4 Joe Lyng
    5 Padraig walsh
    6 Cillian Buckley
    7 Jason Cleere
    8 Conor Fogarty
    9 Paddy Deegan
    10 Walsh Walsh
    11 TJ Reid
    12 Richie leahy
    13 Billy Ryan
    14 Colin Fennelly
    15 Richie hogan
    16 Michael Fennelly
    17 Darren Mullen
    18 Conor Delaney
    19 John Donnelly
    20 James Maher
    21 Sean Morrissey
    22 Michael Aylward
    23 Tommy Walsh
    24 Simon Aylward
    25 Luke Scanlon
    26 Pat Lyng
    27 Michael Cody
    28 Alan Murphy
    29 Shane Walsh
    30 Oisin Hough
    31 Eoin Hough
    32 Martin Gaffney
    33 Bill Sheet an
    34 Michael Mansfield
    35 Michael Malone
    36 Chris Bolger
    37 Lester Ryan
    38 Joe Cuddihy
    39 Ronan Corcoran
    40 Kevin Kelly
    41 Ollie Walsh
    42 Mark Bergin
    43 Richie Reid
    44 Conor O shea
    45 Conor Martin

Is this your own preferred panel or the actual provisional training panel at the moment? Some lads on that lads I would have thought that are no where near the required standard and I would consider them more as good club hurlers. 
    Im fairly sure Michale Malone not involved again but Ger Malone is. Also there is three more Ballyragget lads involved along with Kevin Kelly with Saoirse Kenny, Stephen Staunton and Michael Brennan included in training. Also likes of Mossy Keoghan and Colum Prenderville included too

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

I hear huw lawlor mossy keoghan and prenderville are also in there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement