Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

ttowncat wrote: »
    blackcard wrote: »
    Instead of the current method of the city teams having a B team, could you have a random draw so that in theory you have two equal teams? You would not have a Village A team and B team but say the Village Vikings against the Village Lions. At u17 or u19 level, you could revert to the current system. I think you would have much more competitive fare. You don't learn anything if you are trouncing another team.

It's a good idea but i couldn't see the the city clubs going for it. Between city clubs watching each other as to how fairly and evenly they pick the teams, as well as parents within a club watching what team their darling is picked on i.e. the perceived stronger or weaker team, or who has the better mentors, or little jimmys friends are on the other team. If the country teams start winning games and championships then the city clubs wouldn't be long getting up in arms.
    Put the 40 names or whatever it is in a hat and have the draw in public. I can understand that the city teams would be against it but it would mean that games would be more competitive and ultimately improve the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

ttowncat wrote: »
    It's a good idea but i couldn't see the the city clubs going for it. Between city clubs watching each other as to how fairly and evenly they pick the teams, as well as parents within a club watching what team their darling is picked on i.e. the perceived stronger or weaker team, or who has the better mentors, or little jimmys friends are on the other team. If the country teams start winning games and championships then the city clubs wouldn't be long getting up in arms.
    Co Board should promote the formation of two new clubs in City. One each side of river.
    They could give James's park to team on Westside and Dunmore to team on Eastside. Ten years support could see teams produce their own players,coupled with defectors from existing clubs + blowins,teams could be decent juniors in that time.Since Village are now debt free,board could divert funding to these clubs and a few "Yummy Mummy Initiatives" aimed at doting parents the city might have say anew Intermediate and Junior club by 2030.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Comerman

Powerhouse wrote:
    In case anyone is looking for a night out for a worthy cause..............

Mother of jazus, it's old news move on for fuk sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Comerman wrote: »
    Mother of jazus, it's old news move on for fuk sake

The event was on last night and reported in yesterday's paper. Hardly old news in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Galmoy/Windgap hammered Glenmore in the u14 B final and Slieverue in the u21 B South Final. Can someone explain to me how when clubs amalgamate are they not automatically made play in the A division. This seems the ideal secanario where these 2 clubs are beating teams in B easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Village87 wrote: »
    Galmoy/Windgap hammered Glenmore in the u14 B final and Slieverue in the u21 B South Final. Can someone explain to me how when clubs amalgamate are they not automatically made play in the A division. This seems the ideal secanario where these 2 clubs are beating teams in B easily

Its an odd amalgamation anyway given the distance between the two areas.

But I wouldn't begrudge them any success at whatever level they play either, there's a reason they had to amalgamate in the first place, they were struggling to field teams themselves. So your caught in a scenario whereby (a) they either the amalgamated teams wins their way well through the divisions, (b) young lads don't represent their own area and have to play for other clubs because they can't field their own teams or (c) the young lads don't play at all. In that situation, I'm all for option (a).

As for their success, I refer to my previous comment of it being a strange amalgamation given the distance. There must be some effort put in by everyone just to arrange training because whether you're driving to Galmoy or Windgap, you're talking 30/40 minutes just to get there. That level of commitment and effort deserves rewards, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

In dublin if you join with another club you are put up a division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

Co Board should promote the formation of two new clubs in City. One each side of river.
    They could give James's park to team on Westside and Dunmore to team on Eastside. Ten years support could see teams produce their own players,coupled with defectors from existing clubs + blowins,teams could be decent juniors in that time. Since Village are now debt free,board could divert funding to these clubs and a few "Yummy Mummy Initiatives" aimed at doting parents the city might have say a new Intermediate and Junior club by 2030.

Not a bad idea though I think you'd have to re-arrange the parish lines a bit as well to give a base to those new clubs.

As much as I don't think the town teams will go for it, and I don't blame them either given the work they put in, it would be good for the city and I think the county to have two more clubs, especially as the city is expanding.

No point in O'Loughlins, The Village and the Boro being able to field A, B & C teams when you could potentially have O'Loughlins, The Village and the Boro A & B teams and two other clubs fielding A and possibly B teams as well.

As more and more rural people in Kilkenny are moving to towns within the county, another point may to focus on the other urban centres. When you think of the population of Thomastown, Callan, Castlecomer & Graigunamanagh as parishes is well above two thousand in each of them, there's a missed opportunity thereand that's not to mention places like Mooncoin, Piltown and Ballyragget which have large enough rural populations compared to others clubs. Hell, you could even set up a Team in Ferrybank if you really wanted to (with the added bonus of annoying Waterford). The return from those clubs doesn't tend to be great but with 10 years investment, a few paid coaches at underage in those clubs, and use the city clubs structure of developing players (learn from the best) and you could see a serious shift in power away from the heavily populated city clubs to a more evenly distributed county scene.

The country clubs unfortunately will only continue to struggle as more and more people move away, but we could possibly could look at creating competitions exclusively for them and at the same time create divisional sides to allow the better players from smaller clubs to challenge at the highest level.

All of this is simply hypothetical and is well into the future, but I reckon all the same we're going to have start tackling the problem of shifting populations at some stage.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    In dublin if you join with another club you are put up a division.

That is a great rule. Any Clubs amalgamated should be Roinn A straight away. 2 big parishes combining like that should be well able for Roinn A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

That is a great rule. Any Clubs amalgamated should be Roinn A straight away. 2 big parishes combining like that should be well able for Roinn A
    Why are they combining together is because they have not the numbers to go it alone, if they were two big parishes you wouldn't have this problem. Half of Galmoy parish is in Co Laois its the first bit of silverware they won fair play to the officals to try keep the thing going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-stars-need-new-hips-by-their-mid20s-34907149.html

Very worrying, and a direct results of Mentors and 'management teams' win at all costs attitude for all teams !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

greenspurs wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-stars-need-new-hips-by-their-mid20s-34907149.html

Very worrying, and a direct results of Mentors and 'management teams' win at all costs attitude for all teams !!

Was talking talking to two 13 yr old who are doing strength and conditioning with their counties and also their clubs. Can't understand what counties are trying to achieve except to guarantee burnout for all but a few. Crazy carry on in my opinion - would think it should be skills, skills and more skills at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Was talking talking to two 13 yr old who are doing strength and conditioning with their counties and also their clubs. Can't understand what counties are trying to achieve except to guarantee burnout for all but a few. Crazy carry on in my opinion - would think it should be skills, skills and more skills at that age.

Should be nothing only skills at 13. Heard a mentor during the year suggesting that the sh-t be run out of a group of juveniles.

My own nephew (19) has hip trouble already.
    Playing with club and secondary school, and was in Kilkenny development squads up to minor.
    Weight training schedules, running , sit ups , gym sessions all scheduled for him from the age of 16 !!!
    FFS what do these 'coaches' think they are at!? Clowns thinking the are Brian Cody, and using training techniques used for Senior hurlers on underage and minor !
    Yeh okay, they are built like tanks, but can they hurl? or run even !!!!

My own nephew (19) has hip trouble already.
    Playing with club and secondary school, and was in Kilkenny development squads up to minor.
    Weight training schedules, running , sit ups , gym sessions all scheduled for him from the age of 16 !!!
    FFS what do these 'coaches' think they are at!? Clowns thinking the are Brian Cody, and using training techniques used for Senior hurlers on underage and minor !
    Yeh okay, they are built like tanks, but can they hurl? or run even !!!!
    That's what is wrong with the underage coaching a lot of them are trying to do what Cody does. Its funny I have a nephew has a serious problem with his hip he was on the development squads up to minor .

PeterCasey wrote: »
    That's what is wrong with the underage coaching a lot of them are trying to do what Cody does. Its funny I have a nephew has a serious problem with his hip he was on the development squads up to minor .

Well theres 2 examples already!
    What 'training' do these coaches get? Who coaches the coaches ?

Why should any boy/girl under the age of 18 have to do weight training ? Just because some other coach, in some other club decided "our lads need to bulk up" , so the coach in the next parish decides and so on, and on .
    Its a problem the GAA County Boards and Council itself should be taking seriously NOW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Why should any boy/girl under the age of 18 have to do weight training ? Just because some other coach, in some other club decided "our lads need to bulk up" , so the coach in the next parish decides and so on, and on .
    Its a problem the GAA County Boards and Council itself should be taking seriously NOW.

I think it's a problem that GAA HQ should be taking seriously NOW.

For teenagers to be having hip problems is absolutely ridiculous.
    It's f**king criminal :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

I dont know if you have ever attended one of these sessions. I have several done and am qualified to take a senior team.

Some of the stuff is mental and dangerous, if you took a tenth of the info given at any one session of a course and implemented it you could kill a young lad. Most of the coach trainers are now trained in college, filled with stats and figures and book ideas with little common sense.
    Anyone under 18 should only use their own weight to do exercises. A lot of lads doing weights at clubs are not core fit and are only working the outer muscles. Coached and shown what to do by a lad that never lifted a finger let a lone weights.

dzer2 wrote: »
    I dont know if you have ever attended one of these sessions. I have several done and am qualified to take a senior team.

Some of the stuff is mental and dangerous, if you took a tenth of the info given at any one session of a course and implemented it you could kill a young lad. Most of the coach trainers are now trained in college, filled with stats and figures and book ideas with little common sense.
    Anyone under 18 should only use their own weight to do exercises. A lot of lads doing weights at clubs are not core fit and are only working the outer muscles. Coached and shown what to do by a lad that never lifted a finger let a lone weights.

No, i havent.
    Just curious to see what kind of tutoring the coaches are getting.
    And you just confirmed what i had imagined it to be like .
    :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think everyone perceives Strength & Condition to be some sort of weights program that is forced on kids. If that is what is happening, then it is obviously ridiculous. But the most of these should be stability and conditioning programs. ie balancing, strengthening muscles through small exercises etc with body weight only and improving basic core strength. The ABC's of training.

There is nothing wrong with that, and it should be encouraged as it will help those players who will be under undue pressure with games that they will be more conditioned and able to take the stress on their body. Now obviously I dont know what any other coaches are doing, but if they are using weights or doing more physical training than skills based training, then that is not good for overall development. But it is also wrong to say S&C is a load of crap and should be done away with.

I'd be very surprised to hear of development squads doing weights in any shape or form. Or even any specific running training. Can do enough physical work with the ball and develop skills with it.

Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly will miss all the League next year and most if not all of the Leinster Championship next year as they will be on duty with the Irish Army in Lebanon. They arrive back in Ireland on May 18th . Kilkenny's matches will be on 13th, 20th, 27th of May and 9th of June so it will be unrealistic to expect them to be ready to take any part in these matches.
    The only players you could state as likely to be on the starting team in the Championship next year are Eoin Murphy, Cillian Buckley and TJ Reid. Injury has hindered Richie Hogan while Padraig Walsh and Conor Fogarty had a dip in form. After that, it is pure guesswork at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Current wisdom in all sports is that no-one 16 or under should be doing weights. It is not only interfering with natural development, but as posts above indicate is potentially damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

I'm sure Richie Hogan, Padraig Walsh and Wally Walsh are also Likely starters next year, Probably Conor as well, we have to keep some stability to the team.

blackcard wrote: »
    Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly will miss all the League next year and most if not all of the Leinster Championship next year as they will be on duty with the Irish Army in Lebanon. They arrive back in Ireland on May 18th . Kilkenny's matches will be on 13th, 20th, 27th of May and 9th of June so it will be unrealistic to expect them to be ready to take any part in these matches.
    The only players you could state as likely to be on the starting team in the Championship next year are Eoin Murphy, Cillian Buckley and TJ Reid. Injury has hindered Richie Hogan while Padraig Walsh and Conor Fogarty had a dip in form. After that, it is pure guesswork at this stage.

Thats essentially ruling them out until July next year by the time it takes to get back up to speed. Boys are not getting any younger either both 29 next year. Might not see to much of them in Kilkenny jerseys again

Irish Beef wrote: »
    I'm sure Richie Hogan, Padraig Walsh and Wally Walsh are also Likely starters next year, Probably Conor as well, we have to keep some stability to the team.

Really is a new team starting off, Need a lot of leadership from Wally and Padraig next year to go along with the leadership provided by Riche & TJ, Colin & Paul Murphy will be a loss in the leadership department. Have to see something from Conor Fogarty this year, thought he should have been on the bench last year, didnt really offer anything in the big matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Really is a new team starting off, Need a lot of leadership from Wally and Padraig next year to go along with the leadership provided by Riche & TJ, Colin & Paul Murphy will be a loss in the leadership department. Have to see something from Conor Fogarty this year, thought he should have been on the bench last year, didnt really offer anything in the big matches

Probably bit unfair to single out fogarty when a lot of our bigger players struggled for form throughout the year but hopefully the summer off will help a few lads.
    We already know there's a big rebuild on an things will be more difficult with out two more experienced players but the panel is back earlier and I'm sure the management will have a good look at everyone and hopefully the walsh cup is used to try lads there's no point playing tj or hogan in december.
    Bit of craic but a Team I'd like to see in the walsh cup something like although the county probably don't get lads college tied and not known fully who's in.
    Darren brennan
    Conor delaney,tom alyward,doheny
    Jason cleere,richie reid,conor o shea
    Darren mullen,scanlon
    Leahy,donnelly,Billy ryan
    John walsh,bolger,conor martin.
    Granted a lot of the above are the u21 squad this year by a lot of them will be blooded next year,I dont know if john power is back or not hopefully he is but I've heard his not.

brookville wrote: »
    Probably bit unfair to single out fogarty when a lot of our bigger players struggled for form throughout the year but hopefully the summer off will help a few lads.
    We already know there's a big rebuild on an things will be more difficult with out two more experienced players but the panel is back earlier and I'm sure the management will have a good look at everyone and hopefully the walsh cup is used to try lads there's no point playing tj or hogan in december.
    Bit of craic but a Team I'd like to see in the walsh cup something like although the county probably don't get lads college tied and not known fully who's in.
    Darren brennan
    Conor delaney,tom alyward,doheny
    Jason cleere,richie reid,conor o shea
    Darren mullen,scanlon
    Leahy,donnelly,Billy ryan
    John walsh,bolger,conor martin.
    Granted a lot of the above are the u21 squad this year by a lot of them will be blooded next year,I dont know if john power is back or not hopefully he is but I've heard his not.

Conor Martin still there ? It must be true when people are saying Cody is gone soft

Conor Martin still there ? It must be true when people are saying Cody is gone soft

I'm not sure if his there or not but I agree I don't think his up to it although he done well against dublin last year in the league but he wasn't making the squad near the end of the summer,what other fowards are out there after looking at the club championship?
    Hopefully lads like hogan and aylward can clear up their injuries because both were vital to us two years ago when we won the all ireland

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if his there or not but I agree I don't think his up to it although he done well against dublin last year in the league but he wasn't making the squad near the end of the summer,what other fowards are out there after looking at the club championship?
    Hopefully lads like hogan and aylward can clear up their injuries because both were vital to us two years ago when we won the all ireland

We need lads who are flying with there clubs. Emeralds have won only a handful of junior matches over the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well I think Kevin Kelly has really blossomed this year for his club and seems to have finally bulked out and can handle the physical stuff he will be a big addition when he comes back from the club.
    My stab at a Walsh cup match.
    R Reid
    E Cody, C Delaney, J Holden
    C Doheny, C Buckley, C O'Neill
    C Fogarty, O Walsh
    R Leahy, W Walsh, B Ryan
    B Sheehan, L Blanchfield, J Donnelly

I stuck in a few veterans just to give them a bit of stability and experience you can easily name a full 15 without any veterans. You'd hardly know I'm from the Boro would ya?

Well I think Kevin Kelly has really blossomed this year for his club and seems to have finally bulked out and can handle the physical stuff he will be a big addition when he comes back from the club.
    R Reid
    C Fogarty, O Walsh
    R Leahy, W Walsh, B Ryan

I stuck in a few veterans just to give them a bit of stability and experience you can easily name a full 15 without any veterans. You'd hardly know I'm from the Boro would ya?

I agree Kelly has stepped up for ballyragget he'd be a big addition if he can nail down a starting position because he has loads of ability,I'd like to see him tried further out the field.
    I think it'd be a shame if richie reid isn't tried in the half back line he was impressive in a few club games,darren brennan is a very good keeper I'd have no fear giving him league time

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

R Reid
    C Fogarty, O Walsh
    R Leahy, W Walsh, B Ryan

No, never!:D On a more serious note do you think that Evan Cody is up to inter county level bearing in mind the two absolute roastings he got from Aaron Shanagher and Con O'Callaghan this year?

No, never!:D On a more serious note do you think that Evan Cody is up to inter county level bearing in mind the two absolute roastings he got from Aaron Shanagher and Con O'Callaghan this year?

I personally don't think evan cody is up to it bit maybe he'll improve but anyone can get a roasting,don't forget buckley was in trouble in that same match,I'd have tom aylward and deanery ahead of evan cody.

I personally don't think evan cody is up to it bit maybe he'll improve but anyone can get a roasting,don't forget buckley was in trouble in that same match,I'd have tom aylward and deanery ahead of evan cody.

Never seen Daenerys Targaryen hurl? She any good? Is she from Kilkenny? :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Coming into Club AGM.....season now. The managerial merry round already staring off. I believe Henry taking the reins in Ballyhale with Richie O'Neill among his selectors. Interesting one for me is Brian Dowling taking over with Thomastown with Arrigle Sullivan supporting him there

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Coming into Club AGM.....season now. The managerial merry round already staring off. I believe Henry taking the reins in Ballyhale with Richie O'Neill among his selectors. Interesting one for me is Brian Dowling taking over with Thomastown with Arrigle Sullivan supporting him there

Thomastown are a very good team with a lot of talent coming up? They will go hard on Intermediate next year.. A very good job to get.. That Sullivan from Ballyhale ??? We had a young lad from the Village years ago hurling minor, this Arrigle man proceeded to knock him every chance he had in his articles and online, destroyed his confidence.. Surprised with Thomastown picking a "City"and Ballyhale man to oversee them

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Noddy33 wrote: »

Thomastown are a very good team with a lot of talent coming up? They will go hard on Intermediate next year.. A very good job to get.. That Sullivan from Ballyhale ??? We had a young lad from the Village years ago hurling minor, this Arrigle man proceeded to knock him every chance he had in his articles and online, destroyed his confidence.. Surprised with Thomastown picking a "City"and Ballyhale man to oversee them
    Yes that is Sullivan from Ballyhale with 'Arrigle' being his pseudonym that he writes under as a journalist and as username on numerous forums. I cant comment on your own clubmans experience with that minor....... but all I do know is there will be no stone left unturned in regards preparation from him and he will have a full dossier on all intermediate clubs players in KK at the ready.
    Agree with one that Thomastown are the makings of a real nice team. Possibly need that big physical threat in full forward that cause havoc and be a goal threat. John Donnelly is better out on the half forward line and more of point scorer anyways and Jonjo went so well for them midfield last year that surely worth persisting with there. Very one thing with very few lads on the wrong side of 30

The best of luck to Ballyragget in Navan , also I would like to wish our near neighbours across the border Mount Leinster rangers the best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

PeterCasey wrote: »
    The best of luck to Ballyragget in Navan , also I would like to wish our near neighbours across the border Mount Leinster rangers the best of luck on Sunday.

kiltale not to bad .pace in the forwards jack Regan and Durin couple of the summerhill footballers as well .tricky one up their.

• Advertisement

kiltale not to bad .pace in the forwards jack Regan and Durin couple of the summerhill footballers as well .tricky one up their.

Carrickshock made very hard work of it last year,best of luck to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Carrickshock made very hard work of it last year,best of luck to all involved.

carrickshock were 7 up at half time
    they got it back to 1 and they went 8 up again
    ref played 8min injury time and they got a goal and a point in last two pucks. big fit football team with some nice hurler s. if they can get over them only kilmaley of clare will stop them
    maybe kanturk will have a say their.

Bkd ballyragret at 9/2 for all ireland so hoping for the best.friend of mine reffed kiltale in a friendly and was very impressed so should be tight.hopefully a bit of class will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

As someone else noted those boys have caused havoc against plenty of more experienced lads than Evan. He has what it takes and when he's playing with confidence he's very good, really strong over the ball. He's young yet but he would need to start pushing on if he's going to make it. Speed is not his thing but it wasn't Jackie's either and he did a fabulous job for us at 4 for over a decade. Lads will say the modern game has changed and it has. I would say he is very much in the mould of Jackie big and strong well able to hurl but not a speed merchant. When Kilkenny figure out how to play against teams that withdraw most of their forwards who then sweep forward en mass when they have the ball there will be a place for him but if it's a case of having to run around after a lad all day he won't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Cody is no speed merchant but imo he's not slow. I also think he has what it takes bar one facet. Aggression. He just appears too nice/honest to my eyes. I'm not looking for him to start flaking opponents. Just be a little more uncompromising.
    I wouldn't judge him on the Cuala game. The Boro were naive on the pitch and line that day. Given it was year one for the management, that's understandable.

Micky kavanagh not a speedster eithier but read the game so well.being tight early and being strong wirh great concentration were jackies strenghts.(also good at the dark arts).this year will be a big year for alit of young players like evan.

Well done to Bally ragget, winners by 2-20 to 2-10. Playing the Leinster Final in Kilkenny

Mon the raggret.all ireland celebrations would be interestingðŸ˜႒

Also well done to St. Kierans, beating Gort by 3-11 to 10 points in the Junior AI semi final

As someone else noted those boys have caused havoc against plenty of more experienced lads than Evan. He has what it takes and when he's playing with confidence he's very good, really strong over the ball. He's young yet but he would need to start pushing on if he's going to make it. Speed is not his thing but it wasn't Jackie's either and he did a fabulous job for us at 4 for over a decade. Lads will say the modern game has changed and it has. I would say he is very much in the mould of Jackie big and strong well able to hurl but not a speed merchant. When Kilkenny figure out how to play against teams that withdraw most of their forwards who then sweep forward en mass when they have the ball there will be a place for him but if it's a case of having to run around after a lad all day he won't make it.

Agreed, he's still only 22 but chatting to one of your fellow club members after he made his debut against Clare and he reckoned he is too "nice" for inter-county. He said he lacks that bit of edge to his game which you need to survive at that level... which the likes of Jackie had. But time will tell!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement